• Breaking News

    Friday, June 21, 2019

    A toon-shaded scene I'm working on

    A toon-shaded scene I'm working on


    A toon-shaded scene I'm working on

    Posted: 21 Jun 2019 09:05 AM PDT

    LERP 101 (source code in comment)

    Posted: 21 Jun 2019 11:46 AM PDT

    Hey r/gamedev! We're an indie company currently developing the FPS Cold Comfort - an asymmetrical 5v5 tactical PvP set in a zombie apocalypse. Here's an early sneak peek of our zombie morph feature - if you're interested in seeing more about the game, we also have a discord (link in comments)

    Posted: 21 Jun 2019 07:02 AM PDT

    Unreal Engine 4.22 Niagara Dissolution Effect Tutorial

    Posted: 21 Jun 2019 01:11 AM PDT

    Hi guys. Here is 2GB of coffee shop/cafe ambience recordings for you to use and download royalty free. You can hear busy/quiet cafes, the baristas making coffees, porcelain tableware clanging together and background conversations and walla. I hope these are useful for you guys. :)

    Posted: 21 Jun 2019 08:34 AM PDT

    https://www.signaturesamples.co.uk/coffee-shop/cafe-recordings-royalty-free-and-free-to-download-sample-packs

    Hopefully you guys find these sounds useful in your productions. In the file you will find all information regarding what they were recorded with, sound quality, size and length of each file and some general notes about what can be heard in each file. Hope you guys enjoy them. :)

    submitted by /u/SignatureLabel
    [link] [comments]

    Hey! I just made a trailer for my new game, tell me what you think!

    Posted: 21 Jun 2019 10:13 AM PDT

    How To Create An Item System - Part 1 - Item Data

    Posted: 21 Jun 2019 03:40 AM PDT

    Interactive grass with real-time shadow, and a grass brush edit tool inside to paint or erase grass on the terrain. Find the asset "VividGrass" from unity asset store and there is a tutorial inside.

    Posted: 21 Jun 2019 02:30 AM PDT

    A Cheesy & Feel Good Game Dev Story of Persistence and Getting Your Game Funded

    Posted: 21 Jun 2019 08:14 AM PDT

    I want to share a story about persistence. I know it's a bit cheesy but I wanted to share a word of motivation for those who are struggling to get a great game funded.

    My team and I spent a year trying to sell a demo. I went everywhere, and I mean everywhere. No one was interested.

    I reluctantly told my team that I thought we were going to have to can the demo and try something. I explained that publishers and investors were just not interested.

    It was in the horror genre. A not so red hot genre at the time.

    I went to a big show in a last ditch attempt to sell the game. It was the end of the day on the last day of the show. We'd decided to call it quits after the show. I was about to leave and I saw a stand and on their screen was a horror title. I was tired, it was the end of the day and I had just had enough. I was about to leave and I thought, just go and see them. At least you can say you've done your best to the team.

    I stopped by and the stand and the Biz Dev guy was not there. It was a French company and I though the last thing I want is to try and explain the game in pidgin French over the phone.

    Anyway, they gave me the Biz Dev guy's number. I called him the next week and it turned out he was an English guy, a francophile living in France. We had a call over the phone and he loved the game and us. He came over to England that week and gave us 1.2 Million Euros to finish the game.

    I guess I am sharing this story because I know what it's like to feel totally dispirited. And I guess this experience showed me that it really can work out with a bit of persistence. Sometimes more persistence than you feel you have but things can work out better than you ever expected.

    submitted by /u/gamedevsi
    [link] [comments]

    Done a bit of Coding today (60x Speed)

    Posted: 21 Jun 2019 08:36 AM PDT

    GameDev.world has a free online game dev conference this weekend

    Posted: 20 Jun 2019 11:33 PM PDT

    I'm not part of this conference but I just found out about it and thought I would share.

    https://www.gamedev.world

    submitted by /u/MarkReddit2020
    [link] [comments]

    Have AAA games become too difficult and expensive to make?

    Posted: 20 Jun 2019 09:53 PM PDT

    In recent years we've been seeing a trend where games graphics have become near photo-realistic with fully orchestrated music and voice acting from well-known celebrities. But at the same time, you have companies trying to crank them out as fast as possible leading to more "soft launches" (i.e buy our unfinished game now and we'll fix it later). The bottom line is that game development is a business and it can't be profitable if you're spending 5-10 years and hundreds of millions of dollars on one game that has both beautiful graphics and great gameplay. Should AAA devs step back on graphics and focus on gameplay as we see in modern indie titles? Is the future of gaming going to be indie and mobile? Where do you see the industry heading?

    submitted by /u/UltimateSenjouWaifuX
    [link] [comments]

    How Supergiant Games Creates Music & Art - Developing Hell #03

    Posted: 21 Jun 2019 09:39 AM PDT

    Near finish burnout

    Posted: 21 Jun 2019 03:44 AM PDT

    So I'm close to finishing a project I've been working on for around a year and half and the burnout is getting quite bad. I've been confronted with this with every project I've done. The finish line is so close but it feels like you can't for the life of you sit down and work on the thing. How do you deal with this?

    submitted by /u/Uberhasung
    [link] [comments]

    Does anybody have useful "game making of" "behind the scenes" "how the whole process is done" tutorials?

    Posted: 21 Jun 2019 10:47 AM PDT

    I find many tutorials online. They usually only tell me "how to code a character moving" or like "how to code a platform" and they are very basic, they just tell you how to code it.

    I want something more like the
    "method of designing to production"

    "how a team went from concept to completeing game"

    "how to work together, production pipeline, decision making"

    I.E. how everything fits together.

    Like for producing a song (simple)
    Melody idea, try chord progressions
    rewrite melody, try more chords
    lay out basic chords and melody once decided
    choose which instruments play what
    record instruments
    remove some instruments, rerecord
    MIX, readjust mix, remove some instruments again
    get a singer, write lyrics, rewrite lyrics record
    master, songs done

    submitted by /u/knkkskknk
    [link] [comments]

    Game Publishing - good article by the CEO of Akupara Games, David Logan.

    Posted: 21 Jun 2019 05:13 AM PDT

    Amazing GDC Talk about the indiepocalypse and what kind of games it actually applies to

    Posted: 20 Jun 2019 07:16 PM PDT

    This is the first game I made, I would like to hear any and all feedback :)

    Posted: 20 Jun 2019 11:30 PM PDT

    As the title said, the game Soulfire was made by me and my little team, we took two years to improve it. and now it is available on steam for free beta test.

    Soulfire is a battle royale fighter that pits more than 20 teams against each other in a struggle for win.Compared to similar games, it features a 2.5D souls-lite combat system. I hope that Soulfire can bring a new way of enjoying gaming, and will also introduce the charm of Souls-lite Battle Royale competition.

    I would like to hear any and all feedback from you guys, will u interested in such game? and do u think anything could be improved?

    Thanks in advance for any opinion :)

    submitted by /u/SoulfireGame
    [link] [comments]

    Why is there usually a wait before fighting the boss, like a walk, an unskippable cutscene, etc??

    Posted: 21 Jun 2019 02:47 AM PDT

    What purpose does this serve and how should it be implemented?

    submitted by /u/trololocos
    [link] [comments]

    Unity want your input on accessibility

    Posted: 21 Jun 2019 05:11 AM PDT

    They're looking for thoughts on what they can do to make the editor accessible to developers with disabilities (anything from text size to complexity of interactions) and also how they can help all devs make games that are more accessible to disabled players -

    https://forum.unity.com/threads/accessibility-and-inclusion.694477/

    submitted by /u/ianhamilton__
    [link] [comments]

    2d rpg questions

    Posted: 21 Jun 2019 12:10 PM PDT

    Hello, I would like to make a game that would be a mix of fire emblem and wargroove and was wondering what engine you guys would recommend to accomplish this as well as what language would be helpful to pick up.

    submitted by /u/CT-2497
    [link] [comments]

    VividPaper: A smoothly paper curling shader. Paper deformation will be determined by the positions of pins on it dynamically. There is a detail introduction of the paper curling algorithm in the document.

    Posted: 21 Jun 2019 02:20 AM PDT

    In-game map development software

    Posted: 21 Jun 2019 05:41 AM PDT

    Hey all,

    I would like to create an in-game map that you can zoom in and out of, meaning you can get the whole world in a picture, and zoom in on a town using the scroll wheel. What sort of software do you use to digitally create a canvas large enough that it can sustain such a detailed map?

    Thanks in advance :-)

    edit: I tried onenote since you can zoom in a lot but that obviously didn't work as it meant I couldn't zoom out completely, and was never a long term option.

    submitted by /u/Instance_12
    [link] [comments]

    Humble request for Career Advice.. PLEASE!

    Posted: 21 Jun 2019 11:32 AM PDT

    I am 25.. gonna hit 26 this August & I'm in a state of extreme dilemma from accepting my 1st job offer. I live in India, Bengaluru.

    I interviewed today for this company : https://www.amci.net.in/index.php
    Its a coaching institute that prepares medical students for examinations. It seems like a start up where there are 3D animators, riggers, VFX guys and Modelers who work on creating human anatomic animations & videos that explain medical stuff for students to prepare and get a good visual understanding for exams.

    I graduated from an animation school here in Bengaluru and I've specialized in 3D Modeling & Texturing.
    This is my rookie portfolio : https://www.behance.net/jayduttuv1024 ( I am a fresher)

    The interview consisted of 3D modeling test that involved me going through this website : https://human.biodigital.com/view?id=production%2FmaleAdult%2Fmale_complete_anatomy_07&type=module for anatomy reference & I was asked to model & texture just the Spinal cord, rib cage & clavicle Bones using Maya/ 3Ds max for block out, Zbrush for more detail and finally photoshop/Substance painter for textures. I succeeded in finishing about half of the assignment in 5 hours and I was asked to finish the test after 2 days, take some more time to practice and get back to it. There are 3-4 modelers and the lead told me that he sees good potential in me.

    Now I have a feeling I'll be hired on my next visit there, finishing the assignment is no biggie for me but .. here's my main train of wreaking thoughts :

    1. Will working for this company be a good start? I've always been a gamer since a kid and my dream is to work for a game dev company. Is this experience relevant? Or is Experience .. "Experience"
    2. Oh what about those 2 amazing Gumroad tutorials that I was able to afford only recently.. that covers making game ready assets using 3Ds max with a powerful boolean based workflow, Zbrush to add damage and subtle details and finally marmoset tool bag to make a kickass presentation??
    3. Should I work for this company and also build on my portfolio in my spare time? Does the work experience address
      the skills that I'll accumulate for landing a job at a game studio in the future?
    4. Or should I stfu & use the time I have now to pour all my effort on making a game art portfolio @ Artstation?
    5. Will a good looking, PBR based, game art portfolio make the difference though I'm a fresher to get a job in a game dev environment?

    Please help me out here guys! I'm dying :(((

    submitted by /u/PainkilleR1024
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment