• Breaking News

    Friday, May 31, 2019

    'Two-step' login forms... why? web developers

    'Two-step' login forms... why? web developers


    'Two-step' login forms... why?

    Posted: 31 May 2019 08:19 AM PDT

    Got my first pay check today

    Posted: 31 May 2019 07:28 PM PDT

    This isn't really webdev webdev related, but hopefully an inspiration to those still working to become one.

    Prior to becoming a developer, I worked in general labors making $17 - $19 an hour full time here and there plus overtime with different companies. So I'm use to the two weeks $1100 after tax pay checks.

    Half a month ago, I finally got hired as a junior full stack developer for the first time, at a start up company that offered me $50k/year. Today, when I opened my bank account and saw how much I got paid, I was blown away. I couldn't believe it and I almost felt like the work I put in, does not deserve this much. I mean, I just sat there, code, and brought visuals onto a computer monitor. I didn't lift, carry, bend, or walk to complete my job and I got handed almost twice as much as what I use to make. On top of that, our office is only opened 3 days a week and overall, this doesn't even feel like "work". The hardest part is walking to the bus stop.

    Life cannot be anymore perfect right now and I can already see the end is near, because this is too good to be true. Nothing this good ever last, not in my life. The money and time I sacrifice to go back to college at 31, and hours and hours of self learning after completing it while working a full time job, has finally paid off?

    Sorry, I'm not trying to brag or anything. I'm still struck by the fact that I'm doing what I love and getting paid for it and for much more than I feel I deserve. My long term goal after completing college was starting a website that would generate passive income much more than this, but I'm already weakened by this... What about when I'm making 100k/year or 150k/year? How do I get emotionally prepared? This also makes me think back to stories where people get burnt out... like how? This is the dream.

    submitted by /u/eggtart_prince
    [link] [comments]

    Switch from Medium to your own blog in a few minutes

    Posted: 31 May 2019 10:51 AM PDT

    Freecodecamp is leaving Medium

    Posted: 31 May 2019 12:44 PM PDT

    Lighthouse Report displays fireworks when a site scores perfectly. I feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

    Posted: 30 May 2019 05:52 PM PDT

    What concepts in web dev that are the most difficult to understand, but once you understand it makes thing so much easier?

    Posted: 31 May 2019 04:47 PM PDT

    The Helsinki MOOC on full stack web development in English is now open

    Posted: 31 May 2019 09:41 AM PDT

    Uibot- a small web app that creates UI designs programmatically. It randomizes design sizing, colors, typography, and some of the ​other properties.

    Posted: 31 May 2019 07:48 AM PDT

    Hello! I am Mauricio Costa, and I am gathering some feedback on the second episode of my small show where I create software from famous series and movies!

    Posted: 31 May 2019 05:34 PM PDT

    I have recently joined Reddit, and it's been an awesome experience to get feedback and constructive criticism from a lot of people! Loved it :) (I applied a lot of the feedback I got from the first episode on this new one)

    Having said that, I have just started a small show on Youtube where I recreate software and applications that are used in movies and films that contribute to the comedy of these TV shows.

    I have just posted the second episode, where I recreate Dwight Schrute's doomsday device from The Office!

    Would you mind giving your feedback?

    You can check it out here: https://youtu.be/WxkZMDmDQcs

    Ask me anything :D

    submitted by /u/mauricecost
    [link] [comments]

    Learning WordPress as a Drupal Developer

    Posted: 31 May 2019 08:33 PM PDT

    What exactly is the state of Web Freelancing in 2019?

    Posted: 31 May 2019 08:16 PM PDT

    I keep saying articles and posters saying Web Freelancers are dead, Upwork sucks, and it's insanely hard to start as a BRAND NEW Freelancer in 2019, much more than than a couple of years ago.

    This is my situation: I am currently a CS grad employed as a Tech Company, so I have a Full-Time job as a SWE, doing Full-Stack JavaScript work.

    I have never done freelancing before in high school or college, and was just curious at giving it a shot. I am not above doing even Wordpress / Shopify work as a freelance Web Designer.

    I have the following questions regarding freelancing that I would appreciate an answer:

    • What is the best tech stack to start freelancing? I often see PHP and MySQL thrown around as THE top freelancing tech stack for small and medium-sized businesses. Can I just keep using React and Node/Express?

    • Do I need to learn Laravel or Symfony to be a Web Freelancer? Like I mentioned, I already know Node/Express from my company work.

    • What is the best way to actually get clients? Should I bother using Upwork at all since I hear it's basically a rat race and I'm competing with people from India? Would it be best that I go directly to local small businesses?

    • Should I go with Shopify or Woocommerce as a Web Freelancer? I also hear Magento and BigCommerce and Snipcart thrown around?

    • Should I do BOTH Website work AND E-Commerce work or focus on one only? Which area of Web Freelancing is the most profitable?

    • In my web portfolio, should I include both my Node/Express web app projects AND my Wordpress website projects on the same page, or keep them separate? I already have a web portfolio for my main job.

    • Do I need to learn Photoshop, Illustrator, Adobe XD, Sketch? Any of that?

    • Should I brand myself as a Software Engineer and Freelance Web Designer OR should I just refer myself as a Software Engineer since that's what I do at my main job?

    • Should I even bother with Web Freelancing since I have a Full-Time job at a Tech Company already? Would my time be better spent doing Leetcode interview prep?

    Thanks a bunch guys!

    submitted by /u/OverMatch4
    [link] [comments]

    Designing for accessibility: Great poster from the UK Home Office on the do's and don'ts of designing for accessibility. Covers designing for autism, screen readers, low vision/hearing, dyslexia, physical disabilities & anxiety!

    Posted: 30 May 2019 06:32 PM PDT

    Need advice for frontend

    Posted: 31 May 2019 07:10 PM PDT

    Let me give you a short background, I'm a newbie in front-end, I know only the basics of HTML and CSS (wrote a simple website years ago) and don't know JS. I want to write a more complex website now, I have looked at using online templates like https://html5up.net/ , but it looks very overwhelming to me as I'm not sure I'll be able to freely edit anything I want.

    Should I write the website from bottom up or learn to use things like Bootstrap? Any advice is very much appreciated. It's worth to mention that I'm experienced with Java and good at reading codes.

    submitted by /u/FlashMuse
    [link] [comments]

    How to dynamically set chip in chips field with materialize css using ejs

    Posted: 31 May 2019 06:05 PM PDT

    I am trying to prefill all chips for a post, but it wont work.

    Right now im trying this:

    <div class = "chips">

    <% post.tags.forEach((tag) => { %>

    <div class="chip">

    <% let tagName = tag.tag %>

    <%= tagName %>

    </div>

    <% }) %>

    </div>

    I looked at the documentation and it said I can use in initialization.

    data: [{ tag: 'Apple', }, { tag: 'Microsoft', }, { tag: 'Google', }]

    Is there another solution? Thanks.

    submitted by /u/2aparsec
    [link] [comments]

    Can't put element on the right side of the screen

    Posted: 31 May 2019 05:35 PM PDT

    Hi, I'm a beginner in web development and i was making a web app for which i need a sidebar. I want it to be at the right side of the screen but I can't move it from the left. I'm using UiKit css framework. I have tried using the position classes that are in UiKit's documentation. I have also tried making my own css class to put the sidebar at the right but it doesn't work.

    This is what I have for now. (The link is a codepen Pen)

    Thanks in advance for your response.

    submitted by /u/___NoNSenZ___
    [link] [comments]

    Resume Critique

    Posted: 31 May 2019 05:00 PM PDT

    [Noob question] GitHub organization - yay or nay?

    Posted: 31 May 2019 06:29 AM PDT

    Hopefully this question belongs here, otherwise do what you must.

    I am currently working on a public, minor hobby project, and I want to make sure it isn't everyone who can push directly - I want to restrict it to pull-requests only to keep track of it. I want them to still be able to fork the repo and all that jazz.

    My question: should I make an organization on GitHub to locate my single, stand-alone repo to gain the benefits of branch protection policies, or what is your opinions?

    Thanks in advance

    EDIT: After installing Ubuntu on a VirtualBox machine, cloning the repo and trying to push with a newly created account, it seems to respond with a 403 status code when I try to push. It would seem my other machines have some residual config files with my repo account

    Thanks for your input

    submitted by /u/Jebkor
    [link] [comments]

    Git gud at git - part 1

    Posted: 31 May 2019 04:06 AM PDT

    First Ever Java Deep learning cookbook

    Posted: 31 May 2019 11:52 AM PDT

    For the past 6 months, I have been working on a project to create a "Deep learning" cookbook for Java professionals. It target for 70 practical recipes.
    Here is the GitHub repo:
    https://github.com/rahul-raj/Java-Deep-Learning-Cookbook
    You can clone it and check out the examples. Checkout README for information regarding how to run these deep learning examples. All are maven projects and based on deeplearning4j. Some prior knowledge on machine learning/deep learning along with deeplearning4j will surely help in understanding the code. Feel free to explore and raise issues if you find anything while running the code. The actual cookbook is in development and is expected to be completed by August/September. The codes in GitHub repo will be updated in parallel as the writing task progresses.

    submitted by /u/willis7747
    [link] [comments]

    Dynamic Page Content - Best way to do?

    Posted: 31 May 2019 03:12 PM PDT

    Hi, fairly new to front-end web-dev, looking for some advice on I suppose the general way to create dynamic pages - not using a JS framework.

    For example, I have an accordion whereby I want to update the contents of each panel based on the value of a select element on the page.

    I see a couple of ways of doing this:

    • Literally edit the DOM - replace the text in the accordion panels based on the selection
    • In template, Create N panels (Whereby there are N possible select options) for each accordion panel, with display:none. Toggle which panel is displayed based on the selection.
    • Create N different accordions, with display:none. Toggle visibility of the entire accordion based on selection.

    What is the accepted way to do this?

    I don't like the second one, because I have to loop over all N options, for each panel, to generate the content within the template. This doesn't seem performant.

    With the third option, I can just loop over all N options once, and create N accordions. Slightly concerned about performance implications of having N accordions sitting around, although I have not tested that or anything. Worst case, N would be ~15-20.

    I'm interested in the page making some degree of sense in the case where javascript is disabled, so the first option would be completely missing information. I could do option 1 and then <noscript> all the information into some html for people to see if they don't have js for whatever insane reason.

    Any help? This is surely basic basic stuff.

    submitted by /u/bipartisanpotato
    [link] [comments]

    Remote code execution vulnerability in most recent versions of the nginx web server

    Posted: 31 May 2019 11:01 AM PDT

    The Junior Developer

    Posted: 31 May 2019 10:54 AM PDT

    What are the front-end dev must need to know?

    Posted: 31 May 2019 04:50 AM PDT

    I am aiming to be a front-end dev(wordpress), I'm currently on my training program and now I can create a website thru wordpress from scratch for those who are front-end dev that has a lot of experience.

    • What do I need to know or study to improve my skills as a front-end dev?
    • If I really want to pursue the front-end dev career do I really need to study how to use photoshop? because right now I don't have that much knowledge about photoshop. But if photoshop is really necessary I'll study it right away.
    • Do I really need to master or focus on bootstrap? because on my method I am using my own classes I only use bootstrap for col and container classes.
    • as a developer for wordpress what do you prefer. Using page builder or hard code building website?

    ps: of course I know my html, css & jquery

    submitted by /u/darkarmysnowden
    [link] [comments]

    How should I approach CS/Web Dev?

    Posted: 31 May 2019 07:55 AM PDT

    Hi people. I'm currently learning and attempting to master Ruby and of course Rails after. I know it might not be the most useful language nowadays especially for web development. But i think it's better for me to start off with a language I can actually understand and then branch off to the typical JavaScript/php/node stacks.

    I'm also a highschool senior who's about to enter college studying comp sci. I want to be as prepared as possible so that's why I'm seeking to learn as much as I can. However, math has not been my strong suit. What do you guys think about the level of math it takes to truly excel in cs? I know it depends on each person's aptitude, but in general, how should I go about studying maths and cs materials by myself in order to best ensure an opportunity in web development? And also should I start off learning full stack or just stick to either front or back and really get good at one? Appreciate y'all!

    submitted by /u/BrodyBaggins
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment