• Breaking News

    Friday, May 24, 2019

    Comparison of my VR breach and clear game a few months ago to today!

    Comparison of my VR breach and clear game a few months ago to today!


    Comparison of my VR breach and clear game a few months ago to today!

    Posted: 24 May 2019 10:07 AM PDT

    Here is the story of how we made this...thing!

    Posted: 24 May 2019 06:59 AM PDT

    Article/Analysis: The Most Popular Unity Asset for Horse Animation has a Fatal Flaw, but it’s Getting an Update

    Posted: 24 May 2019 07:41 AM PDT

    Question: Donations in MP game

    Posted: 24 May 2019 09:38 AM PDT

    I'm working on a web-based multiplayer game for fun. I want to develop a few 'premium' features for it, but I don't want the money. I also don't want to manage the money, really I want nothing to do with paypal, payment processing or taxes or anything, so I'd never want to accept anything directly. Does anyone know of any reputable charities with a good API? Basically what I'd want the flow to be is:

    1. Hit a link on my page at my site, mpgameidea.com, with a link label of maybe something like, 'buy premium game currency'
    2. This link redirects you to xyz.com/buy?clientId='mpgameidea' or something, where xyz.com is the charity. (And I'm just imagining I'd register with their site, providing a callback endpoint that either GETs or POSTs with some parameters)
    3. The user makes a donation of $X.00 to the charity
    4. xyz.com/buy redirects you to mpgameidea.com/purchase with some kind of API key that's a proof of purchase, or maybe it just does a POST to mpgameidea.com/receipt which just tells me that a user of name 123 made a donation of $X

    Basically, something like an OAuth2 flow, but instead of authenticating you, securely tells the registered recipient they made a donation.

    I think it'd be fun to see how much money I could raise creating something like this.

    submitted by /u/uuyhhgjjj
    [link] [comments]

    Testing out some Procedural Character Hit Reactions in Unity!

    Posted: 24 May 2019 07:18 AM PDT

    I feel lime I should rewrite the code for my game to make it easier to add new things, should I?

    Posted: 24 May 2019 06:09 AM PDT

    its starting to get hard and harder to implement new things, should I rewrite my code?

    submitted by /u/ender_51
    [link] [comments]

    I think it's good idea to Associate the game levels file format to the level editor itself

    Posted: 24 May 2019 10:23 AM PDT

    DirectX11 M4000 trying to set refresh rate to 60Hz but get 59Hz

    Posted: 24 May 2019 10:16 AM PDT

    I am porting a Dx9 app to Dx11 supporting Multi Monitor and listing Output modes I only get 50000/1000, 59940/1000 and 60000/1001 for 1920x1080.

    If I ask ResizeTarget to choose 60000/1001 or pass it Zeros for refresh rate I get the monitor getting set to 59Hz.

    Can't seem to figure out a way to set the rate to 60Hz.

    This is using Quadro M4000.

    submitted by /u/gsharad007
    [link] [comments]

    How to Create a Quest in Unity with the Low Poly Game Kit

    Posted: 24 May 2019 09:52 AM PDT

    What makes city-building / tycoon games fun?

    Posted: 23 May 2019 10:25 PM PDT

    Question: What makes city-building / tycoon games fun?

    My favorite games of all time: Simcity, RollerCoaster Tycoon.

    I'm trying to figure out what makes these building games fun.

    I hope my new game can capture the success elements from those games and avoid the common pitfalls.

    Here's my list:

    1 - The feeling of autonomy

    A good city-building game should have more than one solution to any problem. In fact, there should a thousand solutions to every problem.

    For example, if you build a popular roller coaster in zone A, you will soon find out that all tourists rush into zone A, and as a result, zone B become dead silence. In this situation, the player will need to find a way to fix this, maybe modify the path so that if the tourists have to go through zone B in order to reach zone A? Or maybe completely discard zone B and rebuild the important facilities in zone A? I think the point is to make sure there is no perfect solution - even if there is one, the player has to get there through exploration with countless trial-and-error.

    2 - The feeling of mastery

    During the game, make sure the player has thoughts like "why the hell did I choose this way" and "If I can start over I'll try xxx". The player should be able to build a better city when they restart from scratch.

    3 - The feeling of oddly satisfying / Trigger OCD (Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder)

    The annoying red dots on our unread messages, the little yellow pellets in Pacman - our little human brains just cannot tolerate this kind of inconsistency and disorder - "I just need to kill/remove those things". The game's mechanics should make sure to leverage this. In terms of game design, maybe there should be "things" that are odd but yet can be eliminated by hard work.

    4 - Theme/backstory/engagement

    I think it will be more fascinating if the game has a theme. For example, rather than a generic "you start with a tiny town and try to turn it into a gigantic city", maybe this is better "you are the leader of few folks and are exiled to a distant and cold continent..."

    5 - The feedback loop

    The player should be rewarded if an action is performed. For example, if a new roller coaster is built, the player should see the green bills flying off the cashier with ka-chings. However, the game should control the pace - a lot of games reward too often and become boring very quickly.

    Let me know what you think is important for city-building games!

    submitted by /u/BulkyAlternative
    [link] [comments]

    Requesting Career Advice - Giving up on game industry

    Posted: 24 May 2019 06:09 AM PDT

    My dream has been to work on making games. I'm going to be vague about my details because I don't want reveal where I work and speak negatively about my company.

    So I'm 33 year, married man. Graduated in 2014 with a media arts major from a school that was attempting to put together a game dev program at the time. I mentioned my age for two reason. One, I want to start having kids but I can't afford and two, it took me a long time to complete school and now I'm under crushing student debt with a very niche degree.

    My senior project is a 2D platformer that I made in Unity, with an anti-bully message because my prof at the time told me that this is my chance to work on my dream project because at no other point in my life will I be able to make the game I really want to work on. I'll come back to why I regret working on my project later. I used visual scripting through Playmaker to script over half the game because I'm not very good at scripting. So as far as being a game designer, I'm better at designing puzzles or levels.

    There were no gaming or multimedia jobs where I was living so I moved to a much larger city across the country a year after graduation. Another year later, I finally get hired through a staffing agency to work at a AAA studio as an Administrative Assistant. Everyone has heard of the games that this studio releases, so I was very excited to start here. My primary responsibilities include reception work, order/distributing snacks, groceries, other supplies as well as other administrative tasks.

    Back to why I regret making my 2d platformer in Unity. My company works on 3d games that are more action oriented, and my portfolio piece is useless when it comes to convincing my job place to move me up to level design. It doesn't help me in finding a job anywhere else either because not many places work on 2d platformers. Most places that hire want 3d work. So my portfolio is pretty blank.

    I've been working this job for 3 years through a staffing agency, hoping it would be a stepping stone to get into their level design team. I've talked with, and made friends with some of the level designers. In my spare time, which is hard to make spare time due to hours/coming home exhausted especially during crunch, I've used the mod tools for one of the previous games (current game has no mod tools) and worked on making some buildings and attempted to start working on some maps. It's still not much though.

    Late last year, I applied for our intern program. I got through the first couple of stages, but once I got to the test, which involved drawing a top-down map for a multiplayer shooter and other essay questions, I didn't pass. It had more to do with how my test compared to the other candidates and they explained what I could have improved.

    I had a meeting with the team lead for level designers about a month ago to see if there's a possibility to open a temp position so that I can prove I can do the work. He told me that they have zero head count right now. He looked at what I have been working on, and basically he said it's not impressive yet not terrible. Said I need to should him a top down multiplayer shooter map so that I can display what I know about design.

    I've been working on this and will be presenting him the map soon, but I'm losing faith that they will hire me since people have been leaving, probably because we're in between games. It doesn't seem like they are opening more positions soon, especially with all the interns that are starting up next week. I'm trying to apply at other places but I just don't have an impressive portfolio.

    I don't really know what to do with myself. At this point, I'm starting to give up on my dream to be a game developer. My job can be done by a highschooler and I hate that I'm the "snack guy" for my work place for 3 years. I also feel like it's too late for me to do a career change. I thought about changing to physical therapy since this is something I've been researching a lot lately due to my back injury I had a few years ago. I can't afford to go back to school nor do I have the time to take classes on the side for a certification. I'm just in the awkward position where I feel like I dug myself in this hole, that attempting to get my into this dream of being a game dev, and now I'm unemployable as one or any job that would make descent money.

    submitted by /u/stafax
    [link] [comments]

    Bitmoji for games SDK?

    Posted: 24 May 2019 11:41 AM PDT

    Does anybody have any information on the upcoming Bitmoji SDK? I'm interested in using it for some Unity Dev but don't really know what to expect - the site is a little vague.

    submitted by /u/WhiteWhenWrong
    [link] [comments]

    Unique roguelite progression system, what do you think

    Posted: 24 May 2019 07:48 AM PDT

    Context: I'm working on a topdown bullet hell roguelite inspired by games that i love (gungeon, isaac, RoR, rotmg, shmups,...).

    I have a pretty unique idea (i think it is, haven't seen it anywhere else) for a progression system that removes the negative aspect of permanent upgrades which is grinding, by rewarding the player for reaching upper floors. Here's a rundown of the system:

    - Each floor's mobs drop resources. Resources are unique for each floor.

    - A permanent upgrade shop is available at the start of the "dungeon"

    - Shop has a tab for each floor, with a couple of player upgrades, unlockable with the corresponding floor resource

    What this does is greatly reward players for reaching higher newly discovered floors, and make it a lot more exciting, he knows he's probably gonna die on this floor he's never reached before, but he gets an attempt at collecting new resources and unlock previously unobtainable upgrades. Because there's a limited amount of unlocks possible per floor, there is very little grinding involved.

    To give a bit of context on how it would work in the game i'm making, at the very start, the player can only take one hit before dying. The whole game's designed in a way that it's possible to beat it with 1HP, but this progression system would enable the player to for example unlock 1 companion per floor, each one of them capable of sacrificing themselves and act as an extra life, to make the experience less punishing and exciting. Shop would also contain various other upgrades, such as dash improvements, an added starting ability, etc. If you're interested in what my game looks like as of now, feel free to check my twitter ( https://twitter.com/MoonLens_dev ) got a bunch of clips on there.

    Would love to hear any thoughts or critics

    submitted by /u/Drizzle44
    [link] [comments]

    @non_manifold, twitter account with 1 tweet a day on gamedev articles and github projects

    Posted: 24 May 2019 09:14 AM PDT

    Where can I find adequate tutorials to learn Adobe Photoshop for Game Development?

    Posted: 24 May 2019 09:13 AM PDT

    Hi all, I'm a college student, and I've decided to master Photoshop this year. I've tried asking my friends and surfing a bit through the internet. But all the stuff I've been linked to is someone like Justin Odisho, Peter McKinnon or PHLearn which while are fantastic resources to learn the software in their own right, focus more on the general filmmaking and photography side of things. The closest I get is a one-off video about sprites and stuff.I've seen Thomas Brush build his levels live, and that was more or less what I was hoping to learn — using the tool to create graphics, assets, even 2D levels. So, is there a YouTube channel or any other resource with a decent playlist of (around 40 or more) videos with quality content that can teach me to use Ps to create digital art/assets instead of retouching photos of my dog?

    submitted by /u/winter_of_rebirth
    [link] [comments]

    Have Any of You Trademarked a Game?

    Posted: 23 May 2019 06:52 PM PDT

    How expensive was it?

    Is it necessary / worth it?

    submitted by /u/gojirra
    [link] [comments]

    Royalty based contracts. What are your thoughts/experiences?

    Posted: 24 May 2019 08:09 AM PDT

    Hi /r/gamedev. My name is Brandon. I've been in the process of building a small team to develop my dream game! Without giving away too much, it's a tactics game! I've been interested in the idea of royalty based contracts due to little funding until we reach Kickstarter.

    My question to you all is about royalty based contracts when building a team. Since we have very little funding available, until we reach Kickstarter, I want to be able to build a small team using royalty based contracts. Is this a turn off for anyone? Do you prefer this type of contract? What were your experiences with this type of contract?

    I get the negative side of these types of contracts, no up front cost is risky for anyone because the game industry is tough. Are there people out there that just love working on games and want to be apart of something that could potentially be successful and therefore willing to give their spare time to a small team in the form of a royalty based contract ?

    Thank you for the read and for your time! I appreciate it!! Good day!

    TLDR: Thoughts on Royalty based contracts. Hate them or love them? Bad or good? Would you do it or would you not do it? Turn off or turn on?

    submitted by /u/Itspennington
    [link] [comments]

    The gyro is a mouse -- here's how to use it well (part 1)

    Posted: 23 May 2019 08:15 PM PDT

    TheIndieGamesLab | Free Support and Promotion in a community of Devs!

    Posted: 24 May 2019 07:25 AM PDT

    Hi, my name is Liam, founder of TheIndieGamesLab! The hub of gaming experimentation. We believe that testing and experimenting with new and unique ideas is incredible important at TheIndieGamesLab. We also understand that when people have created something so different it is important to bring it into the spotlight, whether that be a new mechanic in a game, a new type of visual or even a streamer play testing and experimenting with new games. It is important to break pattern!

    If you feel your work is something unique and fresh we are here to help you not only promote your work but share ideas and experiment further with you. The idea of experimentation is fascinating to us. This is why the name TheIndieGamesLab has been chosen. We are fully aware of the importance of bringing great work and discoveries into the eyes of the public, ESPECIALLY when it's a new and unique idea!

    Not only will we do our very best to help Indie Game Developers, we are helping any gamer with a new and fresh idea that they want to bring to the table or be displayed in front of the gaming community. This means we are here to help Indie Gamers, Indie Game Devs / Studios and so on! As well as helping the gaming scientists out there trying to bring something fresh to the lab, we want to inspire gamers to start experimenting and create something memorable.

    This is the start of something special. Together we can make TheIndieGamesLab the hub that gaming content creators can come to gain the recognition and support their work deserves! And become a movement! A movement to inspire and create!

    I have also created a discord server providing a platform for indie game developers to communicate with one another to help support each other and upcoming and existing projects. This server lets people get instant support from indie game devs that are just as passionate about it as you! You can also promote you new projects or post updates to your current projects, please com along, I look forward to seeing you there. Let's support each other in this crazy world that is indie games!

    Join now at https://discord.gg/efa6j3a

    submitted by /u/LiamBBonney
    [link] [comments]

    Custom, animated tilemaps with Godot 3.1

    Posted: 23 May 2019 07:49 PM PDT

    Feedback Friday #341 - Quality Assurance

    Posted: 23 May 2019 08:03 PM PDT

    FEEDBACK FRIDAY #341

    Well it's Friday here so lets play each others games, be nice and constructive and have fun! keep up with devs on twitter and get involved!

    Post your games/demos/builds and give each other feedback!

    Feedback Friday Rules:

    Suggestion: As a generally courtesy, you should try to check out a person's game if they have left feedback on your game. If you are leaving feedback on another person's game, it may be helpful to leave a link to your post (if you have posted your game for feedback) at the end of your comment so they can easily find your game.

    -Post a link to a playable version of your game or demo

    -Do NOT link to screenshots or videos! The emphasis of FF is on testing and feedback, not on graphics! Screenshot Saturday is the better choice for your awesome screenshots and videos!

    -Promote good feedback! Try to avoid posting one line responses like "I liked it!" because that is NOT feedback!

    -Upvote those who provide good feedback!

    -Comments using URL shorteners may get auto-removed by reddit, so we recommend not using them.

    Previous Weeks: All

    Testing services: Roast My Game (Web and Computer Games, feedback from developers and players)

    iBetaTest (iOS)

    Promotional services: Alpha Beta Gamer (All platforms)

    submitted by /u/Sexual_Lettuce
    [link] [comments]

    I Need Help for Making my Game (Javascript / Visual Studio Code)

    Posted: 24 May 2019 04:45 AM PDT

    I'm trying to make a very basic game in VS Code, one where the player dodges blocks until they get hit. I need to use object pooling to increase the amount of blocks every 10 seconds.

    Problem is, I can't get the objects from that pool to show up. The first block shows up after 3 seconds, but that's its own separate thing that isn't part of the object pool. Not to mention, based on using console.log to check my progress, the for loop I use in my object pool is only called once, when it should call multiple times.

    Could someone please help me with these problems within the week?

    https://drive.google.com/open?id=10fAQhfosHavJK5974sEdrEi11qzdgrS1

    submitted by /u/Chessmaster_Omeyrolx
    [link] [comments]

    Best way to execute my idea? (Very Newbie)

    Posted: 24 May 2019 04:39 AM PDT

    I was thinking of making a (pref Unity) game where...

    There's the Player Character and 2 NPCs.

    The 2 NPCs have extensive branching dialogue. You have a lot of dialogue choices.
    Certain dialogue choices make you "+1" or "-1" your favor not just with the NPC you're directly speaking with, but with the other NPC as well.

    This point system impacts what each one will say to you, as well as how they behave around you outside of dialogue.

    What is a way that this can be possible? Is there a tutorial for something like this? Would be VERY useful if so...

    submitted by /u/patchybeer
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment