• Breaking News

    Monday, April 15, 2019

    Visiting Medium on a mobile browser. This is appalling. web developers

    Visiting Medium on a mobile browser. This is appalling. web developers


    Visiting Medium on a mobile browser. This is appalling.

    Posted: 15 Apr 2019 01:21 AM PDT

    Crosstab-events with a BroadcastChannel that works in old browsers and Node.js

    Posted: 15 Apr 2019 01:41 PM PDT

    How does the future of web dev look?

    Posted: 14 Apr 2019 06:20 PM PDT

    For example, mobile apps are popular, are they considered to be hurting web development? Since its like a website inside a app? Or does this help web development/developers grow and expand?

    Is web development going to continue to be a strong growing field for the years to come, or like VHS it will be old news, while android and IOS development take over?

    With 5G coming, does that threaten web development?

    I'm just curious what the expected outcome is for the future of web development.

    Thanks all

    submitted by /u/Jayboii478
    [link] [comments]

    I build a list of some Developer Tools and Resources

    Posted: 15 Apr 2019 06:42 AM PDT

    Hi,

    I'm Self Taught Front End Developer and I have some great tools and resources in my bookmarks and I want to share it with everyone. This list is just my personal preference.

    Please, feel free to contribute more developers tools and resources

    https://github.com/IliasHad/Developer-Tools-and-Resources

    submitted by /u/IliasHad
    [link] [comments]

    Setting up automatic payments between two third parties?

    Posted: 15 Apr 2019 02:36 PM PDT

    I'm looking for a payment system that will allow me to set up automatic payments (they're donations) from a human person, to an organization, without it having to go through the middle man (me).

    Has anyone had experience doing this, or know an api that could do this?

    submitted by /u/RespectableCafe
    [link] [comments]

    Feeling discouraged about learning web development at a late age.

    Posted: 15 Apr 2019 08:18 AM PDT

    Hello everyone, I don't want to turn this into a sob story. I am looking for honest answers and opinions.

    I am in my mid 30s and have been teaching myself web dev for the last four months. I have a good understanding of HTML and CSS and have started learning JS.

    I have a decent job right now but I want a career that will let me give my wife and soon to be born son a better life. Will my age be a obstacle into getting an entry level job?

    Why would a company hire a mid 30s person with a family when they can hire a younger person without the "burden" of a family?

    From a hiring perspective, I would assume the younger candidate would be seen as the more optimal candidate since they could work longer hours and have more time to grow.

    I feel passionate about web development. It is something I have not felt in a long time. I have tried multiple career paths and this is the one that has stuck. I really enjoy it and want to make it into a career.

    TLDR I'm old. Am I screwed?

    submitted by /u/onepunchgiro
    [link] [comments]

    How does SEO work at a high level?

    Posted: 15 Apr 2019 01:43 PM PDT

    Just hosted a web development portfolio on heroku and I was just curious how I would make my site more visible. Honestly at this point my portfolio still needs some work and I'm not actually concerned with improving the SEO of my site but I want to know more about the process.

    Basically, I googled "<myname> Web Developer" just to see if my site would come up. It didn't and it just got me wondering. It's hosted on Heroku, does that make a difference? I'm just curious about the overall process of increasing a sites SEO. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/JWindy92
    [link] [comments]

    Where do you guys collect reviews from clients?

    Posted: 15 Apr 2019 01:29 PM PDT

    Do you prefer Yelp, Google, Credo360, or some other platform? I'm looking for a credible and accessible way to build and share my reputation. I suspect that Google Business doesn't show your business to people searching from outside your specified service range (600 mile radius max), so it might not be the best international (or even intranational) solution.

    Thanks in advance. This community has been extremely helpful so far with everything I've posted!

    submitted by /u/lukeslab
    [link] [comments]

    Having issues with building a website layout with lots of triangles and background pictures while keeping it responsive

    Posted: 15 Apr 2019 03:54 PM PDT

    Hey guys, I've pretty much finished a mockup of my portfolio website on Figma, but I have no idea how to approach building it and I don't know how feasible of a concept it is. Screenshot:

    https://i.imgur.com/l7xC9iR.jpg

    I don't know how to approach building the "Projects" and "Contact" sections of the page while making it responsive. I plan to use a slightly modified layout for mobile that I know how to approach, but I just don't really know how to approach this while keeping it responsive on tablet resolution and above. I'm concerned about the pictures and the fact that each project is basically a triangle.

    Edit: I also want to make it so the background "zooms in" when you hover over each project itself, if that's possible, as well as adding a few other minor interactive elements.

    And by the way, the top section will have animated comet-type things parallel to the one diagonal piece that move in the background; It won't just be a gray screen. I'd expect that there's a JS library somewhere out there that could help with that, or could be programmed with Vanilla JS, which is something I could figure out on my own.

    Thanks in advance! I appreciate any feedback I can get.

    submitted by /u/Hello-Darkness
    [link] [comments]

    How do you decide what sites to feature on your web portfolio?

    Posted: 15 Apr 2019 03:46 PM PDT

    So I started my web portfolio in the final year of Uni, mainly for the fun of building my own website and for a place to feature my small hobby projects like games and applications. During the end of the year we had a final assignment in the web module, tasked to build a website for a real-world client and after completion I added that site to my web portfolio and used it to bag myself an advanced level apprenticeship after Uni as a web developer.

    I still want to maintain my online portfolio because I do other development projects in my spare time but now that I make websites for work, and websites in my spare time for fun, I have a predicament. In my spare time I build my sites in pure HTML/CSS/JS, however, at work we use WordPress and an editor due to the faster iteration speeds.

    I am wondering how other developers decide what to add to their portfolio. Do you only show your hobby projects? Do you only show your work projects, if so, how do you decide what projects to show if you have done lots of similar sites in your career? Do you show a selection of both types, if so, how do you decide which to show more of?

    Any opinions are appreciated, thanks!

    submitted by /u/RonanSmithDev
    [link] [comments]

    Any recommendations for free PostgreSQL manager?

    Posted: 15 Apr 2019 09:46 AM PDT

    I have been using DBeaver for a while now but its kinda laggy on my maxed-out MBP 2018. Now I am trying TablePlus but it is limited due to the trial version. Anything better for Postgre?

    submitted by /u/puretechno
    [link] [comments]

    Don't touch my Bulma.io

    Posted: 15 Apr 2019 02:53 PM PDT

    Sorry for the DragonBall Super reference, could not resist. We have to set up a new project (small website) and some were debating the use of Bulma. Never used it myself and I'm always slightly hesitant to using CSS libraries for small projects. I was wondering if anyone is experienced in the Bulma framework and if it really has an added value over regular flexbox.

    submitted by /u/Void92
    [link] [comments]

    Google cloud run?

    Posted: 15 Apr 2019 11:04 AM PDT

    Anybody had a chance to play around with google cloud run yet? Hosted a few test sites and was surprised on how easy it was. It handles all the scaling for you based on http traffic and will even scale down to 0 when you aren't getting any traffic. Just wonder how much you should rely on that opposed to configuring it yourself in kubernetes. Any thoughts ?

    submitted by /u/mrich6347
    [link] [comments]

    What is the top skill that a webdev needs?

    Posted: 15 Apr 2019 10:50 AM PDT

    Just wondering where to go next with where I am?

    submitted by /u/intheprog
    [link] [comments]

    Getting hired as a remote frontend developer in 2019

    Posted: 15 Apr 2019 10:42 AM PDT

    Does anyone have experience setting up Github Pages with Whois ai registry?

    Posted: 15 Apr 2019 01:56 PM PDT

    I'm trying to utilize Github pages for a static site, and made the unfortunate mistake of purchasing the domain through whois.ai . Transferring to another registry will cost me $100 so I would like to keep that as a last resort.

    Whois registry requires primary and secondary hostnames for their name servers. I'm trying to utilize Github's CNAME endpoint but the registry requires the two hostnames, and they can't be IP addresses. Are there any solutions without using a 3rd party or transferring to another registry?

    submitted by /u/gzli
    [link] [comments]

    Fonts Google API Trustworthy?

    Posted: 15 Apr 2019 03:51 AM PDT

    10 minutes ago fonts.google.com was down for around 20 minutes. It made me wonder how many websites depend on it to load their website where all will not work. I personally found out when I saw that nodejs website was hanging when the request to fonts.googleapi was not responding.

    This makes me ask developers here, do you really depend on Google fonts API, is it that trustworthy or you prefer to embed your fonts on your hosting server?

    submitted by /u/tommy737
    [link] [comments]

    Google AdSense for SPA

    Posted: 15 Apr 2019 01:32 PM PDT

    Good day to you all,

    I would like to have AdSense for my SPA but it hasn't been accepted yet because it doesn't have enough content.

    Is it possible to add AdSense for a SPA? Not sure if this matter but it has 3k users in the last 3-4days.

    submitted by /u/food-wars
    [link] [comments]

    What is the current state of the World Wide Web and how is it changing?

    Posted: 15 Apr 2019 01:01 PM PDT

    You know, what's the big picture?

    With the adaptation of pay-walls, the ad-blocker wars, the quick growth of front-end frameworks like React and Vue, the loss of the net neutrality in the states, privacy concerns, disinformation campaigns, mobile vs desktop, native vs web-based, new top-level domains, the numerous data breaches, a growing fiber cable infrastructure, data center projects, cloud computing platforms, the list goes on and on and on.

    Anybody care to try and sum it up in a few sentences or paragraphs? Or know of a good, recent article about this?

    submitted by /u/MannyDantyla
    [link] [comments]

    Integrate email client in web application

    Posted: 15 Apr 2019 12:12 PM PDT

    I would like to make a sales application that would be able to compose, send and receive email messages. The things you do with gmail, but inside the interface of the app itself.

    How hard is it to do that? Is there a framework, any type of software or 3rd party service that will allow me to do that?

    submitted by /u/juancpgo
    [link] [comments]

    Vue and Google Places API

    Posted: 15 Apr 2019 11:56 AM PDT

    [EDIT]: Sorry for the wierdly formatted script tag

    I'm looking for the best way to implement autocomplete functionality for google places API. I have this working fine in a Flask app I have, but I'm using the script tag

    <script \*src=\*"https://maps.googleapis.com/maps/api/js?key={{ \*places\\\_api\\\_key\* }}&libraries=places&callback=initAutocomplete" \*async defer\*\\>
    </script>

    I need this in a Vue component, but I'm not sure how to do this, since I don't think you can use script tags inside of a component, and if I put this in index.html, the callback wouldn't be able to find initAutocomplete.

    Any advice? I've look at things like vue-google-maps component, but I don't know how to just use the autocomplete feature (that's all I need).

    submitted by /u/Dnlgrwd
    [link] [comments]

    Need an organized systematic resource for learning CSS

    Posted: 15 Apr 2019 08:02 AM PDT

    Hey, I've learned CSS in a very piecemeal, fragmented manner and wanted to learn it in an organized and comprehensive way and I don't feel confident in my CSS skills. Can you recommend me a resource to learn it properly? I prefer text over a video course. I tried the Advanced CSS course on Udemy by Jonas Schmedtmann, the content was good but I felt like I was just watching him code as he zoomed through the material and I didn't retain anything. MDN is good when I know exactly what I want to look for, but I would get bogged down with the details if I tried to read every CSS article.

    Things I need to learn - box model, positioning, responsive web design (grid, flexbox), animations, transitions, etc. I've found that I learn my best when I pick a small topic, learn it really well and make a project or do an exercise on it, and then move on to the next thing. Helps if the exercises incorporate previous material so you reinforce the same concept several times. Do you have any resources that are good for that? Textbooks are fine too if they are up to date.

    submitted by /u/calm-code
    [link] [comments]

    button order and placement plus keyboard navigation question

    Posted: 15 Apr 2019 11:13 AM PDT

    I have a simple question. I would like to have two buttons next to each other, in two different styles. They take on the width of the text inside them, so the width can vary at times. The "Next" Button is to the right hand side of the "Cancel" button. When in mobile view I want the "Next" button to be on top of the "Cancel" button. In the code, being that the "Next" button is "after" the "Cancel" button, in mobile view, the "Next" button will come below the "Cancel" button. I was curious if there was a way to make this happen. I was able to get it done using flexbox, and the "order" property, but this also then ruins the keyboard tab flow - the "Next" button which is below the "Cancel" button would be focus first, then the Cancel button which is above. This is not good UX.

    Are there any simple modern CSS that can accomplish this? I really am not looking to add tabIndex to my buttons so they will tab naturally, and in the proper order. Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/OneTwentyZero
    [link] [comments]

    Domain-Oriented Observability

    Posted: 15 Apr 2019 11:04 AM PDT

    Why learn Python as a web developer?

    Posted: 15 Apr 2019 02:18 AM PDT

    This might be a stupid question, but I'm asking it straight:

    Today, as a web developer, with Node on the back end and frameworks like React on the frontend, what's the practical use of learning Python?

    I've been interested in Python mainly because I'm curious about Machine Learning and it seems that almost everything ML related is with Python. Also, I'm always eager to learn new things. But if we're talking purely in utilitarian terms, should I use my immediate time in perfecting my skills in the Javascript environment or knowing Python will help me a lot too in the short term as web dev?

    Looking forward to your response, and apologies in advance if this a newbie/obvious question.

    submitted by /u/harry_powell
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment