• Breaking News

    Monday, April 15, 2019

    Interview Discussion - April 15, 2019 CS Career Questions

    Interview Discussion - April 15, 2019 CS Career Questions


    Interview Discussion - April 15, 2019

    Posted: 15 Apr 2019 12:07 AM PDT

    Please use this thread to have discussions about interviews, interviewing, and interview prep. Posts focusing solely on interviews created outside of this thread will probably be removed.

    Abide by the rules, don't be a jerk.

    This thread is posted each Monday and Thursday at midnight PST. Previous Interview Discussion threads can be found here.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Daily Chat Thread - April 15, 2019

    Posted: 15 Apr 2019 12:07 AM PDT

    Please use this thread to chat, have casual discussions, and ask casual questions. Moderation will be light, but don't be a jerk.

    This thread is posted every day at midnight PST. Previous Daily Chat Threads can be found here.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Is it normal to feel that it is not good enough?

    Posted: 15 Apr 2019 04:00 PM PDT

    Is it normal have this feeling in career beggining? I work as Software Developer for almost 2 years and sometimes I'm feel that I not good enough to do some tasks that I never did before and I end up delaying the delivery of the task. I study on my own for be better but I feel that I never be good enough.

    submitted by /u/lrslima
    [link] [comments]

    Boss is strongly considering working from home, suggested I should do the same

    Posted: 15 Apr 2019 05:33 PM PDT

    I'm a junior developer at a non-tech company. It's just my boss and I on the team and the company is about 350 people. So if I'm struggling with something or have a question, he's the only one I can speak to about it.

    He told me that he's considering working from home---he didn't say why, but I have some hunches (people-related). I was surprised when he said that I might want to consider doing the same. While it's true that I can do all of my work remotely, I have some reservations.

    Pros:

    - No travel time. My regular commute is about 1.5 hours one way so I lose 3h of possible development. I'll also be able to sleep better.

    - More privacy---if I'm having a rough day then I don't have to spend it in the office.

    - No fees (I have a monthly pass that's about $300 a month).

    - I'll still have a desk at work for when I do decide to work onsite.

    - My town has several locations where I can work at if I want to leave the house.

    - I'd be able to see my therapist once every two weeks instead of once a month.

    Cons:

    - My boss and I won't be able to see each other in-person if I have a question.

    - Distractibility. I use a website blocker extension at work, which I would use if I were working remotely, but being at home provides its own comforts. For the time being my desk is in the same room as my bed.

    - I'm concerned that the rate that I learn would weaken if I'm not in a productive environment. To combat this I'd make a daily schedule and stick to it (e.g. every day at 2:00 I'd walk to a coffee shop and read about X skill for an hour).

    - Less one-on-one communication with co-workers in general. I'm friendly with a few people but there's only been one person I've gotten to know quite well.

    This is an odd situation to me, because of the fact that my boss could work from home. If I'm at the office I won't be able to ask him in person, and it'll be the same thing if I'm at home.

    Any thoughts on this?

    submitted by /u/HarveyDentalDam
    [link] [comments]

    Well, Lads, We Did It, I Got and Accepted My First Job!

    Posted: 14 Apr 2019 10:58 PM PDT

    Well, after a long run of applications and a quick resume rewrite I had an interview with what Id consider to be the job of my choice out of the ones I applied for. 2 weeks later I got an offer! I graduate Spring of 2020 and can't be more excited to start!

    Long story short, just gotta keep applying and trying your best. I go to a no-name school with a 2.X GPA.

    For those curious about the offer I was given:

    Salary: 70k + moving expenses in a medium CoL

    It's not an amazing offer/salary but I knew that coming into it due to the nature of the job and employer, but its the field I want to be in, so it's okay!

    Keep grinding and you'll reach your goals!

    submitted by /u/GennaroIsGod
    [link] [comments]

    Big Corporate or Start-Up

    Posted: 15 Apr 2019 08:32 AM PDT

    Hey Reddit, I am a junior in computer science and have two different opportunities this summer but not sure which one to take.

    My first opportunity is a big tech company. They offered good pay and it would be full-time. I would see first hand the agile development process in a big company setting. However, I would have a good hour+ commute and I wouldn't have much hands on technical experience. I would be doing more basic intern work to make sure PI events go well and everybody is happy. I know it would be a good experience, but the commute and the non-technical experience doesn't excite me.

    The second opportunity is a small start-up. When I say start-up, I mean from the ground up. The brains behind this idea is a guy with good business knowledge and experience in the industry. He is looking to assemble a team of 2 interns and the pay is similar to the big tech company and full-time. I would have full hands on experience in everything about the development process. The idea behind the start-up is good and it is located in my city. I would also have an experienced engineer that I would be able to go to for questions but he will be hands-off.

    I have to make a decision this week and not sure where to go. Both opportunities are promising with their ups and downs. Like I said I am only a junior in computer science so I have no experience in either situation. I do want to go down that career path of a software developer. Do I take the risk with the start-up or go big company? I understand no one can make the decision for me but any advice would be great! Thanks!

    EDIT for clarity: The hands-on engineering for the start-up consists of around two interns. There is an experienced engineer that leads the team and has the vision for the architecture but is hands-off as far as coding and implementing goes. He's there as a mentor but has a full-time job so his time is limited.

    submitted by /u/dat_action_boss
    [link] [comments]

    Work at large company, if i set myself to open on linkedin can recruiters from my company see me?

    Posted: 15 Apr 2019 09:52 AM PDT

    I'm wondering if I have any recourse if my manager got wind of me looking because of a recruiter from my company reporting me (if thats a thing). is there anyway to hide yourself from your company?

    submitted by /u/ynot269
    [link] [comments]

    Do I reply back to an award email? If so how?

    Posted: 15 Apr 2019 04:08 PM PDT

    Long story short...I work for a 400~ employee company. We randomly got a company wide email regarding how 8 of the higher ups (one is my boss) got together to discuss the winner of the 'Service Excellence Award'. I was very surprised when I opened the email and found out that I came in first for this reward. The question is...do I reply to the entire company with a short "Thank you. I really appreciate it." and that's it or do I email those 8 people directly and say a brief "Thank you. I really appreciate it." Or do I add on to that? Do I not reply at all? Please note that our company is stationed in four/five different locations around the US and I do not see most of them on a daily basis. My boss happens to be in another location and I see him maybe once a year.

    Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/colemohrrr
    [link] [comments]

    guide to backend engineering

    Posted: 15 Apr 2019 06:47 PM PDT

    I want to become a really good backend engineer. I don't think I'm going to land a great gig at this stage of my career but I want to learn the same sorts of things that engineers at top tech companies learn/do on my own. Not necessarily to get a job at these top tech companies, but because I want to get really good at this for my own sake.

    The problem I've noticed, for me personally at least, is that I want to achieve this, but I don't have the knowledge to craft a useful plan. I was wondering if members of this sub who have worked in industry for a while could give some insight as to practical projects, books, courses, or technologies that I should look through/work on in the next 12-18 months. I'm saying 12-18 months because I want to give myself a timeline and so that I can assess progress made.

    I also want to take a generalist approach, so really anything that is potentially useful would be great. I'm not too interested in frontend stuff at this stage and I think it'd be pretty overwhelming to do both at the same time.

    For reference, I'm a CS grad so I'm not starting from 0 in terms of programming / computer science theory. Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/dnp_rsa
    [link] [comments]

    Is my workplace unusually bad or just ordinary annoying

    Posted: 15 Apr 2019 09:36 AM PDT

    I'm reviewing where I am in my career right now and struggling to tell if my problems with where I work are because of my attitude/approach, if I just work in bad conditions. Short version: I'm stuck on a hotfix team with 6 other people and about 50+ different poorly documented products for internal use. I'm feeling heavily burnt out and not sure what needs to change.

    More detailed background:

    The basic structure of our company is that we have multiple offices across the nation, and our operations staff provides analytics info to various clients. That produce that analysis via homegrown software. Prior to about a year ago, each office had a small set of clients and engineers that supported those clients. There were some common base code shared between each location, but each team customized differently over the years.

    A year ago, the top of the chain decided we needed to be more globally aligned and dissolved all of the local teams, creating one large organization of the engineers. That large team was then divided into smaller functional teams. Each major product group got a dedicated team for new development, an architecture team, and then a "2nd level" support group. I'm on said support team.

    I put "2nd level" in quotes, because these applications have practically no documentation, so there's nothing our service desk (1st level) can help with. These applications come in varying levels of stability and have little in common past the surface UI. It's hard to say how many applications we actually support, but each client team uses about 6-8 programs and some customizations, and we have maybe 20 or so clients. I'll say 50 programs because some clients share very similar logic.

    Our day to day involves getting blasted with "urgent breakfixes", which involves doing new research 90% of the time. I probably get a breakfix that takes over 30 hours to complete once a month, if not more often. Our team used to have about 12 people, but nearly half of the company got laid off 3 months ago so now we're down to 7.

    My boss is an understanding person and knows that we're stressed, but the larger organization seems uninterested in reorganizing to lessen our burden. I try to tell myself not to take it personally that we have long winded outages, I'm just standing in front of our massive technical debts that I didn't incur. Still, I'm massively burnt out lately and hate waking up in the morning. More often than not, these outages directly affect the company's bottom line.

    Are most jobs like this? Just constantly slogging through poorly maintained legacy code day after day? This is my first development job so I have no frame of reference. I don't think I can take this kind of stress the rest of my life, but I don't know if the answer is to be less invested in my work or starting working somewhere else.

    Thanks for any feedback y'all

    Edit: Thanks for the sage advice everyone. I'll start hitting the pavement harder this week and see if I can get out sooner than later.

    submitted by /u/VivoArdente
    [link] [comments]

    Is there any entry level jobs in cyber security ?

    Posted: 15 Apr 2019 12:41 PM PDT

    All the jobs require 3 to 5 years of experience in cyber security, but how do you even get these ?

    submitted by /u/charlobino
    [link] [comments]

    How did you get back to full time employment after a multi-year employment gap

    Posted: 15 Apr 2019 06:37 PM PDT

    This question is for IT professionals who have had multi-year employment gap & returned back to employment after the gap. I am wondering what approach do people take to get employed again after a multi-year gap.

    After more than 5 years working as a software developer in financial industry, I left my job to work on my startup but the idea did not work, then I got into stock trading & for more than 3 years I coded & backtested several trading strategies but could not find any decent strategy that would produce good income with low investment.

    Now I'm thinking of going back to a full-time job but I'm confused as to how to handle more than 4 years of gap & also concerned about the age factor (close to 40).

    I would really appreciate some guidance from someone who has gone through the same experience.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/imjughead
    [link] [comments]

    How to introduce yourself to your team-mates before starting an internship?

    Posted: 15 Apr 2019 03:50 PM PDT

    I just learned about the team I'll be working with this summer. Any advice on how to introduce myself through email? Is it weird if I ask about how I can prepare?

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/Exotic_Procedure
    [link] [comments]

    What to do when terminated

    Posted: 15 Apr 2019 11:26 AM PDT

    Got a notice that I am being terminated and my time frame left with the company is until the end of August, along with a handful of others.

    The company is offering a severance package but I'm seeing others not taking it but instead just leaving the company and looking for greener pastures. Is there something I'm missing here as to why not just stay till end of August and get the severance package and then look for another job then?

    submitted by /u/dkim3
    [link] [comments]

    Coworker who's leaving asked me to complete a survey of his skills ... but he's not very good

    Posted: 15 Apr 2019 06:59 AM PDT

    A former coworker who's accepted a job offer in another state has asked me to fill out an online survey of his skills. There are 30 questions asking me to rate him from 1 to 7 on things like "Have an attention to detail" or "Listen carefully to others" or "Accurately interpret and write code from specifications" or "Complete tasks in a timely manner." They are fairly vague and very subjective; like, I don't know how to judge whether someone would "show diplomacy" to an "above average extent" or a "great extent."

    Problem is, I was disappointed in him as a developer. He never seemed to 'get it.' He would write code without thoroughly understanding the requirements, getting him to follow our coding style guidelines (or to comment well or to name variables helpfully) was a chore, he never took the initiative, and if I posted concerns on a code review then he'd just wait for enough other developers to accept the review then he'd merge it anyway. I did my best to help him grow as a developer, but I never really got the sense he was interested in that. We have some real coding rock stars here but he wasn't one of them.

    So, would you say I should:

    (a) be honest in my review, giving low marks where appropriate, because it's how I really feel and the survey says it's confidential

    (b) give high marks in my review, because it's not going to hurt me in any way, and it might help him - there's no harm in being generous (and I'd really rather not hurt his feelings or make him mad over this; there's no guarantee he wouldn't see my ratings)

    (c) politely decline to complete the survey, because really it's meaningless fluff, and I can offer to be a reference if someone wants to phonecall me the old-fashioned way

    or something else?

    submitted by /u/Nonyfox
    [link] [comments]

    Accept QE contract or wait for full time offers

    Posted: 15 Apr 2019 04:51 PM PDT

    Hello Everyone,

    I am an international student currently in the US, completed masters in CS last year. I recently got a contract offer for a QE role at Walmart, but their offer letter has a clause which says, if i do not show up at the client's (Walmart) after accepting the offer, then i would have to pay them 2 weeks salary plus attorney and court fees. I am waiting for one more phone interview result, which i think will take 3-4 more days, and i have another phone interview in a week. the other two roles are SE roles. (If things go well, I am confident that i could get one of the other two roles, but in the worst case, if i flunk both of them, then i am back to square 1, and i do not want to miss an offer.)

    What do you think i should do ?

    submitted by /u/chunky_snick
    [link] [comments]

    How to work effectively with a co-worker on the autism spectrum

    Posted: 15 Apr 2019 07:01 PM PDT

    Today I had a technical interview with someone that was clearly on the spectrum. Very smart, a little hard to understand but doable. Once the interview started I realized that I have never in my life spent 1 on 1 time with someone who is neuro diverse.

    I just behaved normally, and that seemed to be fine. Maybe this is a larger question than just CS, but is there anything I can do in the future, or anything I should pay attention to? Resources I can read up on this kind of thing?

    I'm very new to neuro diversity, just looking to learn as much as possible. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/cybaritic
    [link] [comments]

    [SDE intern] What kind of side project should I do in the summer?

    Posted: 15 Apr 2019 02:50 PM PDT

    Hello everyone.

    I am currently a junior at a state university. I am going to find an intern in this fall. In classes, the projects are really small, the longest homework I wrote is about 400 lines AVL tree. Therefore, I don't think I can write my course project in my resume.

    I am trying to write some command line tool in Rust. However, my friend tells me that building a fully functional website is better for the resume. Which one is better for passing me to an interview?

    Any help would be appreciated!

    submitted by /u/yuld
    [link] [comments]

    Seeking Advice/Mentor regarding a Masters degree for a Change in Career

    Posted: 15 Apr 2019 11:34 AM PDT

    Long time Lurker here,

    I've gotten to a point to where I am tired of racking my brain and scouring all relevant posts in this sub finding one that pertains to my situation and variables considered. Some Background:

    26 years old, I have a BA in Communications. Had to take a break after graduation to defeat Leukemia (fuck that shit). After that, I got jobs as an Admin. Assistant and currently working in a billing office right now. realized I did not want a career in Communications anymore as my interests and priorities have changed, I am more interested in a stable career with financial growth. I am currently enrolled in an MBA program to help me advance in the business world. I thought accounting due to my enjoyment of remedial math and numbers, data, etc. but fuck me that class was boring. I am currently taking a Finite Mathematics class and am truly enjoying it, as well as how much I have been using R. My goal is to become some type of Data Analyst or Ops Analyst.

    There is a Masters of Computer Science Program with a Concentration of MIS offered at the university I am currently studying at that really caught my eye. The program is designed to individuals with no formal background in CS, with of course the help of some pre-requisites. I have always had a keen interest in Tech and Computers (I know, Cliche AF) and I am not going to lie that the $$$ and Work Culture does seduce me as well.

    My question is should I complete my MBA and take the self-taught programmer route? I read success stories sometimes in this sub but it seems like a REAL long shot, I also would prefer some type of structured curriculum. Or, should I make the switch to the MSCS program my university offers? I would by lying if I said the Latter doesnt intimate me.

    Anyone with similar experiences care to contribute? Any Advice, Anecdotes, and or guidance is greatly appreciated.

    TL;DR : Should I finish MBA and then self-teach? Or switch to MSCS program with concentration in MIS.

    submitted by /u/KissingTitties
    [link] [comments]

    What are the best SQL Certifications?

    Posted: 15 Apr 2019 06:17 PM PDT

    I'm currently a sophomore studying computer science and I'm very interested in learning SQL during the summer. What are the best SQL certifications and how should I prepare for them? I have an internship in the summer also so how much can I learn in a few hours a day?

    submitted by /u/mlin1235
    [link] [comments]

    Alternatives to HackerRank & Triplebyte

    Posted: 15 Apr 2019 06:06 PM PDT

    What are some alternatives to HR & TripleByte for applying to jobs by taking a test first?

    Ideally I'd like more resources like TripleByte that test blindly.

    submitted by /u/BitTransmitter
    [link] [comments]

    Getting an internship but housing not provided. What are my options that wont break the bank.

    Posted: 15 Apr 2019 10:22 AM PDT

    I'M SO PROUD OF THIS COMMUNITY.

    submitted by /u/ajohn226
    [link] [comments]

    Fresh CS graduate and just got offered a full time + benefits. Question about salary

    Posted: 15 Apr 2019 05:22 PM PDT

    I just got offered a full time offer in St. Louis, MO. It's a Software Engineering (Trainee) position. Working primarily with Java and the Web Dev stack (MEAN or MERN). The pay is $45,000 + benefits. Is the pay good for a fresh out of college graduate? Friends have told me mixed opinions. Some say it's decent for a starter others say I shouldn't accept anything less than $60,000. Any thoughts?

    submitted by /u/O-to-the-MAR
    [link] [comments]

    DS to SWE ?

    Posted: 15 Apr 2019 09:34 AM PDT

    Has any one done that kind of move ?

    The most exciting part of my job is coding and building things and I also think I'm a strong programmer when comparing to other data scientist... I've published APIs, web apps and did some data engineering. I know that my coding style is probably shit, but I think I'm coachable..

    One of my problems is that everything that I code is closed sourced and confidential, so it is hard to apply to SWE jobs and prove that I'm a solid candidate... Also personal projects are out of question at the moment, as I have to work very late most of the days...

    1. Would it make sense to quit my current job and work on personal projects to show off to recruiters ?
    2. What kind of seniority/comp. should I aim for ? I'm not sure if I can justify my future employer to match my current salary...
    3. Any general tips from anyone who made the move

    Thanks !!

    submitted by /u/GrandSorcerer
    [link] [comments]

    Consulting to Software Engineering/Data Science

    Posted: 15 Apr 2019 10:16 AM PDT

    What can someone do to help transition from a nontechnical field to engineering, with a technical background?

    My background: I finished school last May with a BS in Applied Math and a minor in CS. No internship experience in school, but have done research in mathematics (optimization problems) and will be published soon. I'm currently working as a consultant in San Francisco, and most of my company's clients are tech companies. In school, I was interviewing and had for software engineering positions, but liked the idea of trying out management consulting, thinking I could easily switch to software engineering if I didn't like it.

    After being in consulting for nearly a year, I've decided it's not the best fit for me. I'm not particularly interested in the projects I work on, and I don't particularly like my potential career paths. I'd like to start applying to software engineering or data science positions in the area, but I'm worried having a year of nontechnical experience is going to look bad. I've worked on some personal projects in the meantime (some web applications, some kaggle competitions), so hopefully those look somewhat good.

    I think I'm fairly prepared for interviews, I usually do a leetcode problem or two in the morning to help get my brain moving and it helps to keep me programming in the weeks I'm too busy to work on personal projects. I have referrals at every large tech company, and many of my clients have offered to help me find a job if I'm ever looking, but I'm not sure that would do much for getting into an engineering position at those companies.

    What should I be doing to help improve my chances while transitioning fields?

    submitted by /u/__adt__
    [link] [comments]

    What's your ideal way of balancing an online course that involves substantial programming?

    Posted: 15 Apr 2019 08:19 PM PDT

    I recently started learning mobile app development from an online course and I'm finding myself taking an awful lot of time to progress through the course while trying to balance between assignments and lectures. Although I have decent programming experience and work as a developer, it's been relatively inefficient to switch back and forth while attempting to implement new features.

    What's an optimal way of working through a hands-on programming course?

    • Do you simultaneously follow the instructor and write code on your IDE, or complete a lecture and subsequently look to implement concepts?
    • Also, if the assignments do not have deadlines, would you rather complete the course and later look into the projects to ensure you make good progress?
    submitted by /u/j9lad
    [link] [comments]

    Are you still considered a new grad after ~1 year of industry experience?

    Posted: 15 Apr 2019 12:22 AM PDT

    Basically the title. Some companies have positions for only new grads or people with 2-3 years of experience. So I assume 1 year exp people fall into the new grad category? I tried asking the companies but got no reply.

    submitted by /u/CSTobi
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment