• Breaking News

    Monday, April 1, 2019

    The State of the Subreddit web developers

    The State of the Subreddit web developers


    The State of the Subreddit

    Posted: 01 Apr 2019 03:32 AM PDT

    Dearest Friends and Fellow Developers of Webs,

    As you may or may not have heard, this subreddit was recently involved in the case of Peter Parker v. r/webdev. The plaintiffs have alleged that we knowingly and willingly infringed on the copyright spidermen, women, and children have held on the term web developer

    They argued that long before the advent of the "interwebs" they were spinning webs of their own, and therefore they and they alone should be able to call themselves web developers

    Although we fought hard, the courts ultimately sided with Mr. Parker. His lawyer (Dr. S. Lee, JD MD ML OP) was far better than the attorneys that r/KarmaCourt offered us. Henceforth, r/webdev will no longer be allowed to post any content related to, associated with, or in any way related to "Internet World Wide Weeb Development" (as is must now be known). Our new spider overlords have already overthrown Stack Overflow (you really think that CSS was an April Fools joke??) and are in the process of spinning their greatest web of all.

    All that being said, effective immediately all posts must be directly related to our OG web development overlords (long may they spin). We encourage everyone to upvote each and every one of these posts, so that the kings and queens of the web might be please with us, and spare us from their infamous DDoS (Daily Distributions of Spiders) attack. Any post found breaking this one rule will be removed, and the poster will be reported to the relevant arachnithority.

    Signed,

    r/webdev Mod Team

    submitted by /u/so_much_reddit_T-T
    [link] [comments]

    Thought you guys would like this. Crazy what is the web to the develop the web dev community in google does

    Posted: 31 Mar 2019 06:28 PM PDT

    Spider Can

    Posted: 01 Apr 2019 07:17 AM PDT

    Cloudflare's new VPN: Warp. "Fixing Mobile Internet Performance and Security"

    Posted: 01 Apr 2019 07:32 AM PDT

    Python Data Mining and Databases | Data mining and MySQL for Beginners

    Posted: 01 Apr 2019 03:37 PM PDT

    There's no cause for alarm! Our new web developing overlords just want to share their culture with us!

    Posted: 01 Apr 2019 05:48 AM PDT

    What service is Pokemon.com using to verify identity?

    Posted: 01 Apr 2019 03:20 PM PDT

    I went to set up a pokemon.com account so my kiddo can play games. To create a sub-account for a child, the system requires you to verify your identity. The system asks for your full name, street address, street number, and the sum of the first and last digits of the last 4 digits of your SSN. (WOW WTF!) Was wondering if anybody knew how they were doing this.

    Either way, it couldn't verify my identity even though I've lived in and owned the same single family home for 15 years.

    submitted by /u/krum
    [link] [comments]

    Building a Swipeable List with React

    Posted: 01 Apr 2019 11:27 AM PDT

    Extremely light (1kb gzipped) Javascript date and time library (formatting, ranges e.t.c).

    Posted: 01 Apr 2019 04:34 PM PDT

    how to run webpack from vscode terminal command line?

    Posted: 01 Apr 2019 02:45 PM PDT

    using terminal in vscode. when I run webpack, I get command webpack is not found. But then I run "npm start" and the webpack command does run.

    so, npm knows where to find a dev installed command? How to run webpack from the vscode terminal command line when it was installed as a --save-dev package?

    "scripts": { "start": "webpack --config webpack.config.js" }, 

    PS C:\web\colt> webpack webpack : The term 'webpack' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again. At line:1 char:1 + webpack + ~~~~~~~ + CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (webpack:String) [], CommandNotFoundException + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException 

    PS C:\web\colt> npm start > colt@1.0.0 start C:\web\colt > webpack --config webpack.config.js 

    submitted by /u/window5
    [link] [comments]

    3-year degree vs 4 year-degree for web development jobs in Toronto?

    Posted: 01 Apr 2019 11:53 AM PDT

    Hello,

    I'm currently doing a degree in biology (major in biology, non-honours), but plans changed, and I'd like to graduate with a 3 a year degree, but I have to complete it in 4 years, so I'll be taking less courses in my 4th year (struggle with school). I don't want to do a 4 year degree, as I will have to extend it to 5 years and the degree is useless. So I'll be graduating with a 3 year biology degree (university degree) in 4 years. On my resume I'll be writing biology major (20xx-2020).

    I'll be teaching myself web development this summer with team treehouse and doing a web development bootcamp after I graduate. Will my degree be an impediment? I figured that at least I have a university degree, and maybe employers won't care to check for the differentiation?

    Thoughts?

    submitted by /u/apasric4
    [link] [comments]

    How I Prepare A Tech Talk

    Posted: 01 Apr 2019 04:45 PM PDT

    How to link an E-Commerce Page to a...

    Posted: 01 Apr 2019 03:59 PM PDT

    How to link an E-Commerce Page to a...

    Hello! I need some help here.

    I am making a website that is essentially E-Commerce based. I am making this for a game, therefore no one will actually need to buy anything through the website using anything like PayPal. A photo of my website is listed below. So here is the question: Is there anyway to add/delete these options using something like Google Sheets or Microsoft Excel? Otherwise, is there some way that I can fill out a "Submission" on another page without manually going through my E-Commerce page and editing the HTML?

    My Website

    submitted by /u/MichaelMotorcycl
    [link] [comments]

    What framework is this spider using?

    Posted: 01 Apr 2019 06:15 AM PDT

    Help: How to add Zendesk chat "tag" code to website's "Book Now" button widget

    Posted: 01 Apr 2019 03:50 PM PDT

    My escape room website (clueavenue.com) has a chat feature for website visitors to communicate with me. This chat feature (by Zendesk.com) has "triggers" that are used to send automated messages to website visitors (e.g: 60 seconds after visiting my website, it pops open saying "Any questions I can help you with?").

    Anyways, I've also installed my booking platform widget (by PeekPro.com) on my site, and my ultimate goal today is to create chat "triggers" based on WHEN a customer clicks open the booking widget (e.g: 60 seconds after clicking the "book now" widget send the visitor a message saying "Hi! I noticed you haven't completed your booking yet, any questions I can help you with?").

    Now, I already know how to setup the "triggers" within Zendesk, but what I need help with is the ability to "tag" the customer's action of clicking open the booking widget. Zendesk's instructions on how to add a "tag" are here: https://api.zopim.com/files/meshim/widget/controllers/LiveChatAPI-js.html#addTags

    ... But when I submitted this info to my rep at PeekPro they said: "We do not have the ability to help you with this because currently our API is what makes our buttons work and pull information, and at this time that API is private and does not allow for it do be edited or changed in anyway, which is what needs to happen in order for us to add this tag"

    ....Now... from my limited experience with this stuff, I think the rep is wrong. I don't believe they need to "edit/change their private API" in order to add a Zendesk tag to that action... I believe there just has to be a slight change made to the code of the widget button itself (or maybe to my website?), but I'm a newbie to all this so I could be wrong, which is why I'm asking you guys for help.

    ANY HELP YOU GUYS CAN GIVE ME WITH THIS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!

    //More Relevant Info Below://

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    The PeekPro "API code" for the website widget buttons:
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    <script type="text/javascript"> (function(config) { window.\\\_peekConfig = config || {}; var idPrefix = 'peek-book-button'; var id = idPrefix+'-js'; if (document.getElementById(id)) return; var head = document.getElementsByTagName('head')\\\[0\\\]; var el = document.createElement('script'); \[el.id\](https://el.id) = id; var date = new Date; var stamp = date.getMonth()+"-"+date.getDate(); var basePath = "\[https://js.peek.com\\\](https://js.peek.com)"; el.src = basePath + "/widget\\\_button.js?ts="+stamp; head.appendChild(el); id = idPrefix+'-css'; el = document.createElement('link'); \[el.id\](https://el.id) = id; el.href = basePath + "/widget\\\_button.css?ts="+stamp; el.rel="stylesheet"; el.type="text/css"; head.appendChild(el); })({key: 'f7177f4d-ea4f-4492-b4fc-790e15e9b5fc'}); </script>

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    The PeekPro code for the "button widget" itself:
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    <a href="\\\[\[[https://www.peek.com/s/f7177f4d-ea4f-4492-b4fc-790e15e9b5fc/Dbp\\\](https://www.peek.com/s/f7177f4d-ea4f-4492-b4fc-790e15e9b5fc/Dbp)\](https://www.peek.com/s/f7177f4d-ea4f-4492-b4fc-790e15e9b5fc/Dbp\](https://www.peek.com/s/f7177f4d-ea4f-4492-b4fc-790e15e9b5fc/Dbp))](https://www.peek.com/s/f7177f4d-ea4f-4492-b4fc-790e15e9b5fc/Dbp/](https://www.peek.com/s/f7177f4d-ea4f-4492-b4fc-790e15e9b5fc/Dbp)](https://www.peek.com/s/f7177f4d-ea4f-4492-b4fc-790e15e9b5fc/Dbp](https://www.peek.com/s/f7177f4d-ea4f-4492-b4fc-790e15e9b5fc/Dbp)))" class="replace-with-your-class(es)" data-button-text="Book Now">Villain's Lair</a>

    submitted by /u/timetofreak
    [link] [comments]

    Week #5 of the Weekly Coding Challenge: Drawing App

    Posted: 01 Apr 2019 03:19 PM PDT

    Learning Computer Science related stuff as a self taught dev, which topics would I need to learn?

    Posted: 01 Apr 2019 03:10 PM PDT

    Question at top, curious what where to find good reasources and which of them are really need in field.

    submitted by /u/ImStifler
    [link] [comments]

    Question: Submitting Form Data to Google Sheets and Email

    Posted: 01 Apr 2019 02:55 PM PDT

    Hello everybody!

    I am currently working with a client and I am looking for a solution to this problem I've been pondering.

    My client is gathering leads for his business, and so I made a landing page that uses PHP to POST the form to leads@hiswebsite.com . This is working well but he is scaling up and so we're looking for a better solution.

    He wants to continue receiving the leads at leads@hiswebsite.com, but he also wants to have the leads automatically added to a Google Sheets document so that it's easier for him and his employees to go through.

    I am trying to find the best solution to do this, I've went through a few different YouTube videos and each one is suggesting something slightly different. This cannot be something that breaks as the form is gathering 500+ leads per day.

    > I was thinking that I could send the form data to a MySQL database, and then use Zapier to copy the data from the MySQL database to a Google Sheets document.

    My thoughts is that this would provide some redundancy to make sure none of the information is lost, but would also hopefully be easier to maintain and set up (I'm a beginner programmer).

    submitted by /u/yogafriend
    [link] [comments]

    HTML/CSS Question

    Posted: 01 Apr 2019 02:44 PM PDT

    Let's say an employer gives you a mockup to recreate in html/css for a front end web designer job.

    I have a problem with the way I write my code. In order to arrange text and images in the desired way I use classes and then in the CSS use position (relative) then input the position (left:80px, top:90px).

    But every time I view my page in the browser the position of the elements is very inconsistent. Sometimes they shift, and they frequently don't stay where I intended them to be, and the page is never responsive and the positions are all messed up on iPad etc.

    I am sure this is because my methods are wrong, and was wondering if someone can make me aware of best practices to build a consistent static page layout.

    Are there any resources or websites to help me learn how to write html/css code that would be at good enough to level for companies to hire me?

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/Daniel1836
    [link] [comments]

    The US software job market needs 1.2 million engineers in the next few years, as 545K developers are expected to leave the tech workforce shortly.

    Posted: 01 Apr 2019 05:49 AM PDT

    3 Website, 1 shared tools => Best way to proceed?

    Posted: 01 Apr 2019 01:41 PM PDT

    Hi there!

    I have a case that I'm not sure how to proceed.

    A company sells under 3 different name, let's say AA, BB and CC. They each have their own website.

    AA has a tool to calculate how many of a product you need. The tool is pretty simple : choose some parameters in combobox, POST it, receive a list of product.

    BB and CC would like the same tool.

    The 3 companies use the same database for the products.

    I also have to remake the tool as it's not working well.

    What would be the best way to proceed? I know website AA is in PHP, don't know yet about the rest.

    Should I build a backend (let's say with Nodejs), which the backend of AA BB and CC post to, and return the list of product in JSON?

    What would be the best way to do it?

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/Kardiamond
    [link] [comments]

    Banking Websites - Best & Worst?

    Posted: 01 Apr 2019 01:29 PM PDT

    Which bank's desktop website have you enjoyed using and which have you hated?

    submitted by /u/digitalshiva
    [link] [comments]

    Any Tools to find and capture cookies a site uses?

    Posted: 01 Apr 2019 01:15 PM PDT

    Creating a cookie statement for work ... I been using just chrome dev tools and capturing that way but is there any good plug ins or other tools that can capture all of this?

    submitted by /u/theorysjump
    [link] [comments]

    YaCDN - Open source Europe CDN/CORS proxy built with Node. Free and unmetered during alpha.

    Posted: 01 Apr 2019 12:44 PM PDT

    SSL Cert: New Crypto Company - HELP NEEDED

    Posted: 01 Apr 2019 03:55 PM PDT

    Alright. I am running into a problem and need some help. Does anyone know stuff about SSL certificates? Not just generic stuff, but actually about buying a legitimate multi-domain, wildcard, DV/OV/EV certificate and the best vendor that is most cost-effective?

    Here are the cliff notes: I have a crypto startup, www.coinmover.com. It's on a basic web host now with some stupid half free cert on the site right now. We're ready to launch in the next two months and I will be moving to a legit host and also putting some other domains online for other functionality.

    For example, https://file.cnmvr.site (notice the certificate warning!) is another domain and subdomain I need a certificate to stop that damned warning in a browser. Don't worry, it says crypto cold storage but it's nothing at the moment so don't wet your pants just yet guys.

    So I need, a "multi-domain, wildcard EV certificate" that I can use everywhere across many subdomains and regular domains. The EV part gets you that cool green bar in the browser window that says "COINMOVER LLC" that makes everyone comfortable. I have to have that. Period.

    No really, according to studies it does give a user a sense of good level of comfort on the site. You also can't get one overnight. You have to apply, submit all sorts of documentation, and basically, prove that you're the company representative or owner. That's fine, whatever.

    My problem is that multi-domain, wildcard, EV certs are like stupid expensive. DigiCert wants $2,785 (no typo there) *PER FUCKING YEAR* for a Multi-Domain Wildcard EV. Just for that little green company name in the address bar of a browser.

    I've seen low as $1,000 or even $600. But something is off with the others. Google isn't helping because of paid and ranked results. Filtering out the crap is hard. I'm trying to do a cost-benefit here and feel like pulling out my hair, and need this done in less than ten days – and just the validation will take half that time or longer.

    The problem is if I don't have one, half my sites will throw an error like when you visit https://file.cnmvr.site and I can't have that.

    Anyone have any ideas about how to help or where to point me to get something from a fairly reputable company, that won't break the bank?

    Thank's in advance. PS. If I am way off base here, let me know, and I am all ears. I'm a tech guy through and through but it's little shit like this SSL/Cert stuff that is driving me crazy last minute.

    Thanks,

    Mike S,

    CEO, CoinMover.com

    submitted by /u/CoinMover
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment