• Breaking News

    Tuesday, April 2, 2019

    Resume Advice Thread - April 02, 2019 CS Career Questions

    Resume Advice Thread - April 02, 2019 CS Career Questions


    Resume Advice Thread - April 02, 2019

    Posted: 02 Apr 2019 12:06 AM PDT

    Please use this thread to ask for resume advice and critiques. You should read our Resume FAQ and implement any changes from that before you ask for more advice.

    Abide by the rules, don't be a jerk.

    Note on anonomyizing your resume: If you'd like your resume to remain anonymous, make sure you blank out or change all personally identifying information. Also be careful of using your own Google Docs account or DropBox account which can lead back to your personally identifying information. To make absolutely sure you're anonymous, we suggest posting on sites/accounts with no ties to you after thoroughly checking the contents of your resume.

    This thread is posted each Tuesday and Saturday at midnight PST. Previous Resume Advice Threads can be found here.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Daily Chat Thread - April 02, 2019

    Posted: 02 Apr 2019 12:06 AM PDT

    Please use this thread to chat, have casual discussions, and ask casual questions. Moderation will be light, but don't be a jerk.

    This thread is posted every day at midnight PST. Previous Daily Chat Threads can be found here.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    An example of condescension

    Posted: 02 Apr 2019 10:29 AM PDT

    Since in _this_ thread people have been asking for an example of condescension in this subreddit, here is one.

    I've noticed that Capital One gets consistently shit on by a large number of people in this sub as a "consolation prize." That it is a purgatory before heading to Big N. That any warm body can fill a position there. (Which is ridiculous since the interview acceptance rate for TDP is not very high at all, particularly for a student from a non-target school.) And such posts do get net upvotes.

    This is asinine, because the TDP salary for Capital One is far above the average for new grad CS jobs, especially for areas like Richmond and Plano. And they work with modern tech like AWS. It's just that this sub really is divorced from mainstream reality.

    submitted by /u/hithere12358
    [link] [comments]

    Why do so many tech companies have offices in South Asia if offshoring produces below-par and low-quality services?

    Posted: 02 Apr 2019 06:05 PM PDT

    I've noticed that many companies have offices in South Asia, especially Hyderabad and Bangalore, including Google, Microsoft, Amazon, Salesforce and IBM. In fact, the Google Hyderabad office is biggest one outside of the US.

    But I've also heard countless times on this sub how offshore teams are incompetent and produces cheap-quality spaghetti code. So it seems like this is actually not really an issue for most companies? In other words, why is there a disparity between how tech companies are hiring in places like India and how this sub perceives offshoring work? Is this sub outdated in its view?

    Or is the view that offshored work is shit still more or less accurate? If it's accurate, then why are many tech companies hiring in India instead of the US?

    submitted by /u/gerradisgod
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a calmer community similar to this one?

    Posted: 01 Apr 2019 08:39 PM PDT

    I'm so tired of the Silicon Valley/Big N/Leetcode/'220k salary for a new grad internship ok?' circle jerk.

    I just want to see discussions of an actual career in Software Dev. and Computers without having to go through 100s of comments of the above.

    People dissing others for being happy making whatever in Croatia because 'lol wtf why u don move SV nub, I got 20 offers @ 200k omg'

    And then, on the other hand, seeing the depressing threads of perfectly fine developers going full depressed spending time here comparing themselves to these people who live/breathe SV and nothing else.

    Where can I find discussions on mastering your craft, honing your skills the slow, steady way; loving what you do, etc. that's not tied to specific tech.?

    submitted by /u/magnusdeus123
    [link] [comments]

    The Best Candidate You Never Hired

    Posted: 02 Apr 2019 06:06 AM PDT

    There are plenty of threads and discussions about interview nightmares, rude candidates, and that one guy whose mom insisted that she sits in on the interview. But what about that person who blew you away that you passed over?

    Have you ever had a candidate that you think you should have hired but something or someone wouldn't let you? What did the other candidate have the swayed you the other way? What happened that edged you to towards a no?

    submitted by /u/AmateurHero
    [link] [comments]

    Question about how much past will haunt me with background checks

    Posted: 02 Apr 2019 05:45 PM PDT

    I saw a comment earlier about how somebody failed a background check. And I'm not going to sugar-coat it. I got in a lot of trouble when I was around 19. Me and a few friends robbed the house of a drug dealer and were arrested for it. We were prosecuted and I took a deal and plead guilty. This gave me a Class D violent felony that is now about 11 years old.

    I am well aware of how grave that mistake was, but since then I have been gainfully employed, successfully completed probation, and have never gotten in more trouble than a speeding ticket and one UPM(possession of marijuana which is a violation not a crime in my state).

    How likely is this to stop me from getting a job? Obviously government contracting jobs are out of question, probably finance jobs as well, but outside of that? I am not even sure it always shows up on background checks because I've had them done and I was fine for a tutoring job. I also don't want to not mention it thinking it won't come up to find out that it does.

    I don't need people to judge me, I already know what I did was wrong. I paid the price for it and have since changed greatly. I'm just curious if all this hard work is going to be for nothing due to me being a few days too old to have had my records sealed. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

    Oh forgot to mention, I'm a few years from graduation with a BS in Computer Science.

    submitted by /u/csthrowaway7888
    [link] [comments]

    What fields do you think will grow & are the most interesting?

    Posted: 02 Apr 2019 05:35 PM PDT

    Hey, I know this post might sound a bit like a cliché but here it is. I'm a recent computer science graduate and I have no idea where to go next.

    It feels like every field in computer science is enjoyable to me but there is no field that made me think: "this is it". Also, I feel like a lot of fields have no impact. For example, I enjoy web developing quite a lot but in the end, all I'm doing is some website for some company. I'm not asking this expecting Reddit to choose my career but rather to know more experienced opinions on the matter. So,

    What fields do you think will grow the most?

    What fields are the most interesting to learn?

    If you were starting now, what would you pursue?

    submitted by /u/aeralus
    [link] [comments]

    Should I start looking outside of Seattle?

    Posted: 02 Apr 2019 01:01 PM PDT

    I work at Infosys. And I don't 'really' work for them. They trained me last August-October on a tech stack I never used since. In fact, I haven't done anything with them since. I guess I'm still on bench, but not really. I have to go to the Microsoft office every couple days to check in, and be given nothing to do. It's only a matter of time before they decide to fire me I guess.

    Anyways, I have been FT job searching since November and have been given coding challenges, interviews, etc. but no offers despite if I am perfect or not in the interview. Nobody ever gives me feedback either. All I do 8 hours a day is leetcode, study behavioral questions, CTCI, etc.

    I have 2 more interviews coming up, but if these also turn into rejections, I think I should look elsewhere. One is with Amazon, but I think the recruiter made a mistake about my experience for this SDE2 role. So at this point, this interview with Amazon is a hail mary.

    Is Seattle just too competitive? Should I look elsewhere? I really like it here and want to raise my kid here but living here off of 57k is hard.

    submitted by /u/ichivictus
    [link] [comments]

    Feeling burnt out

    Posted: 02 Apr 2019 05:52 PM PDT

    I'm mainly a hobbyist who likes to spend free time programming for the past 6 years of my life. I've always intended to have a career in computer science, however i've recently become extremely bored of my projects. I love programming but i've become completely cynical of my current projects, and want to move on to something else. I don't even have another idea of what I want to work on, but I just do not want to spend anymore time on any of my current projects.

    I've become burnt out before, but it's always been for a week or so. This has been going on for months.

    submitted by /u/CPunch_71
    [link] [comments]

    Where can I find resources for "best practices"?

    Posted: 02 Apr 2019 07:46 AM PDT

    I feel like I was taught how to write software, but not the "common pitfalls" that make for "bad code".

    Are there any resources about the higher-level concepts of writing code, and not the nitty gritty? It seems most tutorials focus on the basics, like syntax, and not many focus on this sort of thing.

    submitted by /u/ataraxic89
    [link] [comments]

    Offer letter agreeing I will not engage in any employment or business outside the company?

    Posted: 02 Apr 2019 07:02 PM PDT

    Got an offer from a company with a confidentiality agreement that requested I don't do business outside of the job. What does this usually mean? I have side projects and collaborations I do with friends, and occasionally I consult for my previous company. Is this meant to forbid that kind of stuff? or more for a protection of IP.

    submitted by /u/4pl8diddy
    [link] [comments]

    Lost Senior Engineer title when switching Employers, and two years later my title is still a (Mid-Level) Software Engineer.

    Posted: 02 Apr 2019 07:45 AM PDT

    TLDR: Gave up a Senior Engineer title to join another company, and two years later I still haven't gotten my Senior Engineer title back.

    Two years ago, I had a job that was fairly good, with a great manager, good work-life-balance, decent pay, and decent engineering best practices. It wasn't "amazing" but … a good enough job. After about 9 months of good performance, my manager submitted me for a promotion to Senior Software Engineer without me having to do anything.

    Then, I was approached and pursued by an employer I had heard many good things about, and it seemed like an opportunity to expand my knowledge and skills in a few technical areas I was interested in. I aced the interviews, got an offer! The only problem is the new company wanted to give me a (mid-level) Software Engineer title, not Senior. The pay was also almost identical, which was less-than-ideal.

    I pushed back on this VERY hard, but they refused to budge on the title. I knew their line about "We have different standards for Senior Engineer than other companies" and "We want to promote you ourselves" and "you could be promoted in 3 months" was complete B.S., but there were other reasons I wanted the job, and it kinda came down to a coin-toss.

    Over these last two years, I've been asking my managers (3 so far) and Engineering VPs (3 VPs) about this promotion on a very regular basis. I've also jumped through all kinds of hoops & moving goal-posts that supposedly were steps towards this promotion. I was even promised (verbally) a promotion or a clear "no" answer by a VP and manager by a certain date, and the VP left, and the manager (who hated managing) never submitted it, and I was moved teams. Throughout this time, I asked many times if there was any areas I wasn't at a Senior level yet, and have only gotten vague answers about areas I could improve, but nothing blocking me from that title.

    Finally, after two years, I got my first performance review. I was excited thinking "alright, now they can't dodge my promotion anymore." Well … my performance review was VERY positive! I had also written a self-evaluation, which I think showed my accomplishments over the last two years quite well. Only problem was no title change. My manager (first manager who seems to care about his team) told me that he would begin working on my promotion. I'm extremely pissed off because to the best I can tell, I've always been "about 3 months away from a Senior Title" for the last two years.

    The answer is probably "find another job that will give you a Senior title," which to be honest would probably be many times easier and faster than getting a promotion here. I'm also thinking when I leave this company, I should just put Sr. Engineer on my resume, and I don't think anyone would question it Anyway, I was curious what everyone else thought.

    submitted by /u/CsXAway9001
    [link] [comments]

    Got stuck in a weird freelancing rut where I can't get ANY full-time offers. How do I maintain a positive attitude when the going gets rough?

    Posted: 02 Apr 2019 05:21 PM PDT

    I became a freelancer almost by accident. Not that I'm any good at making a living from it, no not by a long shot, because I want to get back into the full-time job world.

    I used to think I was being responsible with my career but, nope. Turns out I've just been half-assing it, jumping from one low-ball client to another. I don't have many office experiences, no growing into more responsibilities, and neither am I outgoing enough to maintain a network of clients to make freelancing lucrative.

    I can use Node, React, and Vue fairly well in Github projects, but I have literally less than a year of experience each. Companies would rather hire a cheap person that did React in a bootcamp over someone with seven years in PHP. Same old story "you're too inexperienced" a perplexing conclusion. But surprise! The market for more junior jobs got more brutal than it was in 2010. So at least I can relate to the recent graduates of today that are sending in loads of job applications for a bite.

    My career needs a serious tune-up. How do I even begin?

    As far as how it started, it started with my first job out of college, a "contract-to-hire" job... lol that turned out to be a lie. The company kept all their workers as perma-temp, stringing them along without converting them to full-time. No W-2 wages no benefits only serving to keep the company from paying payroll taxes. I bounced after a whole year.

    Then it became one low paying job after another because I don't know how to express my value to a company. I was so disillusioned by my first job that I don't even know how to build my network well. When I do get clients they pay even lower than game dev jobs.

    Communicating our value during the interview process is ostensibly at the base of all job skills trees but I somehow half-assed this one. I don't know how to maintain a positive attitude anymore.

    What motivating stuff can I do that doesn't cost money (because I'm broke of course- guess I should mention that, bah it just gets worse) and make me worthwhile to the full-time job world?

    submitted by /u/ObnoxiousParakeet
    [link] [comments]

    A few options for projects this summer since I probably won't get internship. Advice?

    Posted: 02 Apr 2019 09:35 AM PDT

    So internship season has kind of snuck by me this year. Between full-time school and a full-time job I put my resume and applying to internships on the backburner inadvertently. I'm assuming I won't find an internship at this rate, especially since both my job and school are picking up the pace right now.

    I'm a Junior who will most likely graduate Spring 2020, unless I decide to come back for one more semester to bump my Philosophy minor up to a double major.

    I have a few ideas for summer projects and I was wondering if anyone had any input as to which would be better to put on my resume:

    1. Edx Embedded Systems Course - https://www.edx.org/course/embedded-systems-shape-the-world-microcontroller-inputoutput
    2. Nand2Tetris - https://www.nand2tetris.org/
    3. Mobile App (maybe a Keto Diet tracker or something along those lines)
    4. I'll also be on the lookout for any open-source projects to contribute to, although I don't have many ideas at the moment

    I'm interested in the first two since I'm somewhat interested in embedded systems and lower-level topics, but it doesn't look like I'll encounter that too much in my coursework. Although I do take Operating Systems next semester, I'm not entirely sure what the class will be like.

    The mobile app I'm thinking will also help since it will produce a final product, and also introduce me to mobile programming.

    Just wondering which would be better to focus on resume-wise for either internships or job applications in the future.

    submitted by /u/SuccessfulChicken
    [link] [comments]

    I lied about my counter-offers and it hugely benefited me. Can this potentially be a problem in the future?

    Posted: 02 Apr 2019 10:18 AM PDT

    Throwaway for obvious reasons.

    I graduated from college in December of 2018 and started applying for jobs immediately after I graduated. I consider myself a slightly above average student. I had a 3.1 GPA from a pretty good school (top 30 in the US for CS) and graduated with a degree in applied mathematics. I didn't really do any programming interview practice but I did take data structures and algorithms during my studies and I did well in both classes.

    A few months ago I started applying for jobs. My parents live in the SF Bay Area (and I went to high school here, just south of SF) so I moved back home and was spamming resumes every day. Eventually I got some interviews which led to offers, which were the following:

    • Networking company in south bay, $106k salary, $8k signing bonus
    • Super late-stage start-up in SF, $100k salary, $15k signing bonus, $15k RSU

    The company I wanted to work for the most was the late-stage start-up since I had some friends there plus the work seemed the most interesting. However, I ended up lying to them about my other offer (and I regret it...) since I was expecting a bit higher salary. I told them the other company offered me $130k and a signing bonus of $30k, and 3 hours later towards the end of the work day I got a return e-mail from the recruiter with an offer of $145k, signing bonus of $40k, and $20k RSU, which I signed the same day. They didn't ask for a copy of my other offer letter.

    So I am starting work at this company next week. I am wondering, could this bite me in the ass somehow? Will I be expected to perform above and beyond other employees? Could they somehow find out and rescind my offer? I feel bad for lying about it honestly, but I am of course happy with the current salary and signing bonus.

    submitted by /u/SuedeKitchenFloor
    [link] [comments]

    Quitting after 3 months

    Posted: 02 Apr 2019 08:42 PM PDT

    I have been at my first job (a startup) as a fresh graduate focusing on web development for 3 months. However, I feel like I am not growing at all. There is no one guiding me or telling me what is wrong or correct. They are just looking at the output, so I'm not sure if the way I am coding is reaches industry standards. I currently have two projects in this job where I am the sole developer (both front end and back end). Recently, I come to work thinking about leaving this company.

    I have no job lined up for me yet, but, where I'm from, I can easily get a job in this industry. What would you guys recommend? Also, if I do decide on leaving the company, how can I leave without burning any bridges or leaving a bad impression?

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/fuzokuzo
    [link] [comments]

    Getting jobs as developer vs others

    Posted: 02 Apr 2019 08:42 PM PDT

    Just for an entry developer position, the average position has me go through at least 4 interviews, sometimes more. They go like this:

    1. Walk through Interview with HR person. If they like it (usually know nothing about tech), they forward me to interview

    2. Technical screen with Developer. They ask super complicated questions about the programming language of choice, usually far more complicated then what I would be doing in a day to day basis or even if I don't know the technical definition of something I understand how to use, I'm out of the pool. One wrong answer could end the process.

    3. A coding challenge, again a very complicated coding test that is far more complicated, by far, that what I would actually be doing on the job, i.e leetcode based questions. Or even just "logic" based questions like estimated how many gas stations are in a given area that are really more of a gotcha type question

    4. Finally get to an onsite interview where its basically a repeat of step 1 and 3, 3 being solving a problem on whiteboard that can go up to 4 hours.

    After all this, hear back they didn't like the way I solved a problem; i should have done it 'this' way or the usual response, hired someone with more experience. This has happened to me more times than I can count on my fingers. I feel like interviewers are waiting for the first second you slip up to kick you out the door.

    Now on the other hand, I have a couple buddies that are in different fields than me, primarily accounting and their interview process have all been super easy compared to mine. They have a call similar to my first step interview but then go directly onsite and basically repeat step 1 with the manager, all of which are less than 30 minutes and can get the job the same day. They all got salaries of 55-65k without having to do an elongated interview process or doing knowledge/accounting problems to prove their worth.

    Why is it tech interviews have become this way and other fields seem to get off easy? /rant

    submitted by /u/Storm-Spirit
    [link] [comments]

    Zetamac for prop trading?

    Posted: 02 Apr 2019 08:36 PM PDT

    On prop trading posts, people recommend using zetamac to practice for prop trading interviews. What is a good zetamac score to aim for? (I got 62 on my first try with the default settings)

    submitted by /u/FalseVersion
    [link] [comments]

    Turned down for promotion for a second time - Update

    Posted: 02 Apr 2019 10:48 AM PDT

    Link to the original thread

    https://www.reddit.com/r/cscareerquestions/comments/atulhj/turned_down_for_promotion_for_a_second_time/

    I had some further news so I thought I would give an update.

    I did decide to start looking elsewhere and I have found another job.

    Admittedly it isn't a lead position but I think it sounds interesting. An established company is creating a new development team. They have brought in a Dev Manager and are looking to being in 5 developers, of which I will be the first in. I will therefore help the Dev Manager put things in place, recruit the rest of the team and get the chance to establish myself as the Dev Manager's number two.

    When I gave my notice I ended up with a series of meetings trying to persuade me to stay, the Dev Manager, the Delivery Manager (the Dev Manager's boss) and even the CTO and COO, but none could do anything other than give verbal assurances that next time would be my chance and reiterate that the company's definition of team structures means they cannot create a fourth Lead Dev position until there are at least 12 developers.

    submitted by /u/NMM55
    [link] [comments]

    Grad with no internship

    Posted: 02 Apr 2019 08:27 PM PDT

    Hi y'all. I am international masters student about to graduate this may. I did 2 internships back in India for a year before coming to US. I didn't get any internships in the summer after my 1st 2 semesters. I am absolutely horrified by how much emphasis companies give on internships in US. I am pretty sure my internships don't count for squat. Also, there is this trend among Indians to use these consultancies who fake experience on your resume and market you and all that stuff. I am trying to do open source side projects that should supposedly improve my chances to get an interview. Everywhere I apply, I always get a rejection. H1b sponsorship is such a pain in the a**, more than 60% companies don't hire F-1 students. What should I do? Any suggestions?

    submitted by /u/harshal94
    [link] [comments]

    I received a company credit card. What small purchases can I make to improve office life?

    Posted: 02 Apr 2019 07:53 AM PDT

    Many of my coworkers purchased headphones, keyboards, and some tea related gear. What have you bought that you don't regret?

    submitted by /u/analCCW
    [link] [comments]

    How do you keep up with self-development?

    Posted: 02 Apr 2019 08:12 PM PDT

    New Grad SWE starting in June here.

    I wonder how you guys keep up with self-development (like keep up with the most up-to-date tech and always be prepared to move company whenever needed).

    Since I will be living in the Silicon Valley, I am planning to attend tech meetups that sound cool and do my best to master the current tech stack that I will be using at my work.

    Also, keep leetcoding if possible.

    I wonder if this sounds ideal and also what you guys to do keep up with self-development.

    Other than these, is it also important to learn some popular technologies used in the industry but not used in my company?

    submitted by /u/czechrepublic
    [link] [comments]

    Just accepted my first job offer at a tech consulting firm. What do I do to win the next job hunt in about 1/1.5 year's time?

    Posted: 02 Apr 2019 08:01 PM PDT

    Accepted a tech consulting offer today. I will apparently be working in their government practice, on software which needs to be highly scalable. I won't say the first project topic as it is quite niche and not glamorous (and therefore identifiable), but it is software which thousands of government employees would use on a regular basis.

    Basically, what the the best way to extract value from ones first job out of university?

    submitted by /u/SubredditVandal
    [link] [comments]

    Does attending conferences actually help you expand your knowledge and help you throughout your career?

    Posted: 02 Apr 2019 07:52 PM PDT

    I recently got an offer to attend a cloud-based conference for free (Typically $65 per student, but they were giving out 10 free passes) and was wondering how helpful/useful they actually are. I recently got an internship (summer of '19) for a DevOps position. I have never done any cloud based computing nor have I worked with pipelines or any tools such as docker or AWS.

    I am not expected to know anything about it going into the internship, however i figured this free conference couldn't hurt and could actually give me an advantage. From past experience, would you say attending such conferences/conventions helped you in gaining a better understanding of the field of study/practice?

    submitted by /u/qpjakewaggqp
    [link] [comments]

    Getting a Comp Sci Degree at 27 ?

    Posted: 02 Apr 2019 07:39 PM PDT

    So I completed a coding bootcamp last year in September and still don't have a job. I'm thinking about going back to school and completing my Bachelors. I have about 35 units completed at a JC in the Bay Area and that should probably help me finish my degree sooner. I also can apply for financial aid and work a few days a week for extra money. Do you guys think I should get a degree in Comp-Sci or keep applying and self-studying?

    submitted by /u/Swazzbozz
    [link] [comments]

    How important is understanding the product that you develop software for?

    Posted: 02 Apr 2019 07:08 AM PDT

    I've been working on a SDN/NFV team for a telecom company for just under a year as a systems engineer. I've been trying to get involved as much as possible which usually ends up with me working on some DevOps initiatives or small software snippets for our customer-facing application. I really want to do more software development for the backend but find it difficult because I really don't understand our products.

    Virtual network functions and networking as a whole boggles me. I know a little (pure basics) but as far as how it all works together, I'm lost. I think it's been holding me back from getting more involved.

    Has anyone else had the same experience? Do you think you have to understand the product to be able to code successfully? I'm thinking if I can't get a grip, then I need to explore other employment opportunities in a different field.

    submitted by /u/floop_unfloop
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment