• Breaking News

    Saturday, April 13, 2019

    Pro tip: If you're trying to get started as a software engineer, then volunteer at conferences. learn programming

    Pro tip: If you're trying to get started as a software engineer, then volunteer at conferences. learn programming


    Pro tip: If you're trying to get started as a software engineer, then volunteer at conferences.

    Posted: 12 Apr 2019 10:38 AM PDT

    This helps you network with potential employers, learn what the professional software engineers are doing, and if you can contribute to their open source apps, you can add work experience to your resume. Moreover, you can attend for free.

    submitted by /u/tokyopanda1
    [link] [comments]

    I’m starting to develop my first app for fun. 2 Questions.

    Posted: 12 Apr 2019 02:49 AM PDT

    1. What language should I use if I want it to be available on both Android and iOS?

      1. How do I test it? Is there a way I can download it to my phone to see how it runs?

    Thanks as always.

    submitted by /u/Th3AmateurCoder
    [link] [comments]

    Is Java literally 64 times faster than Python?

    Posted: 12 Apr 2019 09:29 PM PDT

    I used the same recursive algorithm to find the height of a binary tree in python and java and the result was that it took 1ms in Java and 64ms in Python. Is Python really that slow? Here is the result link https://imgur.com/WUMGenO

    submitted by /u/prabhupant09
    [link] [comments]

    Are there ways I can better optimize/refactor this algorithm more efficiently?

    Posted: 12 Apr 2019 09:30 PM PDT

    I'm working on finding the longest increasing monotone subarray within a larger array and came up with this solution which works and passes all my tests. However, I'm wondering if this is the most efficient way to go about it. I have a couple of nested if statements and I don't want this to be too messy so I was just curious how you all would better optimize/approach this algorithm? Is there a higher order function that I'm not taking advantage of here that could simplify it? Just looking for feedback on ways this could be improved! Thanks for the help!

    let test1 = [1,4,6,8,0,2,3,4,7,2,1,8,0,4,6,3,2,6,8,4,2,4,5,6,7,8,3,2,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,1,6,4,2,1,5,8,9,6,3,6,8,3]; //1,2,3,4,5,6,7 let test2 = [5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,2,1,5,76,8,5,36,7,43,7,3,5,8,4,5,6,7,3,2,3,1,2,5,6,8,9,53,6,7,9,6,5,3,2,6,7,8,9,1]; //5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13 let test3 = [2,4,6,8,10,12,14,16,1,3,5,7,9,11,13,15,17,1]; //1,3,5,7,9,11,13,15,17 let test4 = [1,2,1,2,1,2,1,2,1,2,1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3,1,6,1,2,1,2] ; //1,2,3 function findMonotone(array) { let currentArray = []; let longest = []; let index = 0; array.forEach(function(number){ if (index > 0 && number > array[index-1]) { currentArray.push(number); } else { if (currentArray.length > longest.length) { longest = currentArray; currentArray = [number]; } else { currentArray = [number]; } } index += 1; }); console.log(longest); } findMonotone(test1); findMonotone(test2); findMonotone(test3); findMonotone(test4); 
    submitted by /u/FickleFred
    [link] [comments]

    Is there any Android app with code challenges?

    Posted: 12 Apr 2019 10:08 PM PDT

    I wanna practice Python and JS. I

    submitted by /u/etzero
    [link] [comments]

    40 years old, not particularly intelligent, is there any grunt work for someone like me?

    Posted: 12 Apr 2019 01:19 PM PDT

    I live in the third world, so I don't need a lot of money 1500 a month even would be okay. I did a little basic many, many years ago, I can't say I had great aptitude for it, but I love spending time on the computer and typing nonsense, so if I'm going to do that I may as well get paid for it. I was always good at English and History not science and math. With my background is there any hope for me and any language you would recommend? I'm not a complete imbecile, but it will be a slog for me for sure.

    submitted by /u/Simple_Education
    [link] [comments]

    I've been learning to code for about 3 weeks & I really like it kind-of questions

    Posted: 12 Apr 2019 09:12 PM PDT

    Javascript

    What do you wish you had known or could have done better when you started?

    I've been doing freecodecamp tutorials, Udacity & so on. What are the resources/courses that you would recommend for me to expand my understanding?

    What are the must-know skills for programming beginners?

    What are the differences between a junior and senior developer?

    submitted by /u/TriLamSr
    [link] [comments]

    Where to start to write very simple code

    Posted: 12 Apr 2019 09:00 PM PDT

    So I want to write a very basic code to help me learn music theory.

    Basically I'd like to randomly select a key, 12 possible options. From the randomly selected key I'd like to randomly select two chords from that key, 7 possible chords per key. The idea is to practice identifying the key from the given two chords. I cannot find anything like this anywhere and I figured I'd use my required high school computer science credit and just make it myself. Also I don't feel like making 35831808 or whatever flashcards.

    This seems very simple and I'm pretty confident I could easily write something like this. Problem is I don't even know where to begin since programming isn't my thing. Where is a good information source to point me in the right direction to write this?

    Edit: 3 chords not 2

    submitted by /u/Baconthief69
    [link] [comments]

    Recursion base case (Python mergesort)

    Posted: 13 Apr 2019 12:21 AM PDT

    Hi,

    I was reading through the mergesort implementation in Python and suddenly realized one thing wasn't clear enough. Look at the code below. In this case, the author is not using the return statement so predictably the function doesn't return anything. But what then happens when recursion reaches the base case if nothing is returned? Does it actually mean that if len(alist) <=1 then nothing happens and the recursion just stops and the upper level gets executed?

    def mergeSort(alist): print("Splitting ",alist) if len(alist)>1: mid = len(alist)//2 lefthalf = alist[:mid] righthalf = alist[mid:] mergeSort(lefthalf) mergeSort(righthalf) i=0 j=0 k=0 while i < len(lefthalf) and j < len(righthalf): if lefthalf[i] < righthalf[j]: alist[k]=lefthalf[i] i=i+1 else: alist[k]=righthalf[j] j=j+1 k=k+1 while i < len(lefthalf): alist[k]=lefthalf[i] i=i+1 k=k+1 while j < len(righthalf): alist[k]=righthalf[j] j=j+1 k=k+1 print("Merging ",alist) alist = [54,26,93,17,77,31,44,55,20] mergeSort(alist) print(alist) 
    submitted by /u/dondraper36
    [link] [comments]

    Does anyone know any software for uploading mockups of my web design on to a laptop?

    Posted: 13 Apr 2019 12:17 AM PDT

    As the title states, I am looking for some software to upload an image to a laptop screen to showcase my work on a portfolio? Have attached image of what I mean.

    https://imgur.com/a/czdZUGt

    submitted by /u/MattyBurton
    [link] [comments]

    How do Google Cloud API restrictions work?

    Posted: 12 Apr 2019 11:53 PM PDT

    I have set an android app restriction on my API key by providing a SHA -1 fingerprint and package name. My questions are:

    1. Does that mean ONLY my app can use the API key and not other apps (even with similar package name)? Can my fingerprint be spoofed?
    2. Google "broke" SHA - 1 by creating collision generation. If SHA-1 is widely discontinued since 2017 and compromised, why do they choose it as the fingerprint for my app? Is it even safe using SHA - 1 at all in 2019?
    submitted by /u/BigBootyBear
    [link] [comments]

    Resources for Programmers and Computer Scientists

    Posted: 12 Apr 2019 01:56 PM PDT

    Hey guys,

    I made some lists of useful resources for Computer Science and Programming. You can check it here:

    https://github.com/the-akira/Computer-Science-Resources

    Thanks for your attention!

    submitted by /u/gabrielfelippe90
    [link] [comments]

    How to get Started With ML?

    Posted: 12 Apr 2019 11:37 PM PDT

    Can anyone suggest me the best way to get started with Machine Learning I am not from maths background but I want to get started with ML

    submitted by /u/YasH_SinG_H
    [link] [comments]

    Can I use CSS Grid and Bootstrap 4 together?

    Posted: 12 Apr 2019 05:34 PM PDT

    I am very used to using CSS grid for my layouts(I know bootstrap and CSS grid actually use the same "grid" system, but I find CSS grid easier to use) but redesigning buttons,navs, jumbotrons are a pain in the ass. Would it be bad practice to use them together?

    submitted by /u/codingboi
    [link] [comments]

    My array loops twice [New to Java]

    Posted: 12 Apr 2019 11:31 PM PDT

    I'm am currently trying to get a program to ask for people's names.

     public static void main() { int index = 1, Names = 0, i = 0; Scanner in = new Scanner(System.in); System.out.print("Enter how many people: "); Names = in.nextInt(); String Name[] = new String[Names]; while ( i <= Names) { System.out.print("Enter Person's Name: "); Name[index] = in.nextLine(); index = index + 1; i = i + 1; } System.out.println(Name[1]); } 

    The problem is that when I start the program, I enter the number of amount of people e.g. 3.

    Instead of asking "Enter Person's Name: " it does "Enter Person's Name: Enter Person's Name: " resulting in me only being able to put in 2 people's name and not 3.

    What am I doing wrong?

    P.S. I'm new to programming, trying my best to explain.

    Thanks :)

    submitted by /u/Kami0312
    [link] [comments]

    [X-post] New to web design and am creating an asynchronous game - have a question about databases!

    Posted: 12 Apr 2019 11:20 PM PDT

    'm new to the whole web thing. How do I create a database/which do I use to keep track of all the changes in the game?

    Boiteajeux.net is a great example of what I'm asking about. Each time you make a move, the page refreshes as it "locks in" the move, such that if any other player loads the page at that time, they see the most up-do-date version.

    I've created some major components of the game with events, html, css, and of course JS, but learning how to make it really playable is my next step. Right now when I refresh all the changes are lost, of course.

    Sorry if this is a n00b question because, well, i'm a n00b!

    submitted by /u/jkvandelay
    [link] [comments]

    Hi, can you kindly explain the syntax to remove punctuation from multiple columns in Pandas (newer version)?

    Posted: 12 Apr 2019 11:04 PM PDT

    I tried using 'lambda' and 'str.maketrans' within 'apply' function but got error. I am new to python and it'll be really helpful if you explain the syntax.

    submitted by /u/informationfreak123
    [link] [comments]

    CSS For Beginners - Tutorial

    Posted: 12 Apr 2019 03:25 PM PDT

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaZYKlM9X0Q

    Here is a tutorial series for those wanting to learn the basics of CSS. Hope this helps!

    submitted by /u/LazyJury
    [link] [comments]

    Starting Data Science path on Codecademy. Any tips?

    Posted: 12 Apr 2019 10:48 PM PDT

    Title says it all. I am starting the codecademy data science path, which I believe goes into SQL and python. I am a newbie, so any tops will be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/asifhoss
    [link] [comments]

    Best way to learn how to create our own algorithms and data structures?

    Posted: 12 Apr 2019 10:41 PM PDT

    What's the best way to learn how to create our own algorithms data structures? Any recommended courses to take from places like Coursera, Udacity and the likes? Hope to learn some techniques we can use to apply to solve problems from Leetcode and the likes.

    Or is there nothing to learn but pure practice and reading other people's solution?

    submitted by /u/juzatypicaltroll
    [link] [comments]

    Prove Fulkerson algorithm's time complexity using executed times for different graphs

    Posted: 12 Apr 2019 10:37 PM PDT

    Is there any way to prove Ford Fulkerson algorithm's time complexity (I have used Edmand Karp, so the time complexity is O(VE^3) ) as an empirical study using Big-O Notation.

    Things I have done so far

    • I have run Ford Fulkerson implementation (I used Edmand Karp Algorithm) for several graphs and got the executed time for each graph(I used Doubling Hypothesis)
    • I got the ratio of the results (By dividing T(N) result by T(N+1))
    • Then I got the lg value for those ratios.
    • I have got 1.8, 1.7, 1.4, 2.8. 2.9, 2.8,2.8 3.1, 1.3

    So is it correct I got the answer as N^3 since the most values are closer to 3? That's where I stuck! :( If it's then the time complexity is O(N^3), so how can I add VE?

    submitted by /u/The_Aoki_Taki
    [link] [comments]

    If you shouldn't store and API key directly in code, where should you store it?

    Posted: 12 Apr 2019 06:34 AM PDT

    From google docs:

    Do not embed API keys directly in code. API keys that are embedded in code can be accidentally exposed to the public. For example, you may forget to remove the keys from code that you share. Instead of embedding your API keys in your applications, store them in environment variables or in files outside of your application's source tree. 

    What does it mean?

    submitted by /u/BigBootyBear
    [link] [comments]

    Can someone teach me recursion and inheritance in Java?

    Posted: 12 Apr 2019 10:25 PM PDT

    I have an ap comp Sci test coming Monday and I don't understand either of the two at all. Please help :/

    submitted by /u/d0c_tor
    [link] [comments]

    What advice do you wish you knew before you began your career?

    Posted: 12 Apr 2019 06:27 PM PDT

    I'm about to embark on a journey into the world of software development, I've dabbled with some beginner apps like Grasshopper and played around with codeacademy, but just curious to hear feedback from the community.

    submitted by /u/dovakeen118
    [link] [comments]

    Need help checking if a string is a palindrome in ARM assembly

    Posted: 12 Apr 2019 06:05 PM PDT

    Hi!

    I am trying to write an ARM assembly program to check if a string is a palindrome or not, but I have no idea where to start.

    Can anyone point me in the right direction?

    Thanks!

    So here is what I have so far:

    /* check if a string is a palindrome */

    .syntax unified

    .global _start

    _start:

    mov r1, 7 @ length of the string

    ldr r2, =string

    mov r0, 0

    loop:

    ldrb r3, [r2] @ get first character in the string

    add r4, r2, r2

    ldrb r5, [r4]

    cmp r5, r3

    bne _exit

    sub r1, 1

    cmp r1, 0

    bne loop

    finish:

    mov r0, 1

    _exit:

    swi 0

    .data

    string: .ascii "racecar"

    When I try and run it I get segmentation fault

    submitted by /u/NeedSomeHelpHere_
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment