• Breaking News

    Wednesday, April 24, 2019

    Master Basics of Data Science this Saturday- Live Streamed Intro to NumPy and Pandas Course learn programming

    Master Basics of Data Science this Saturday- Live Streamed Intro to NumPy and Pandas Course learn programming


    Master Basics of Data Science this Saturday- Live Streamed Intro to NumPy and Pandas Course

    Posted: 23 Apr 2019 06:19 AM PDT

    Hi folks, I occasionally run free, live programming courses to give back to the community. This Saturday, I will be offering a live Python for Data Science course. During this class, you will learn how to use NumPy and Panda packages to load, shape, and analyze real-life datasets. You will watch the live-streamed class and code along with other students.

    Who is this for? Near/complete beginners. If you know how variables and basic arithmetic operations (i.e., addition, subtraction, etc) work you will be fine.

    Interested to know more? Take a look here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfBC7mxPZB2zwHskqRL95Iq9z1qooUjIOwXbs2OYLV95oePCQ/viewform?usp=sf_link

    submitted by /u/g_pal
    [link] [comments]

    Just How Beneficial Is Learning To Code At An Early Age?

    Posted: 23 Apr 2019 07:35 PM PDT

    I just turned 16, and I've reflected some things I've learned, wanted to learn, and could learn. I know that you need at least an associates, if not a bachelors degree, to get hired(not as a freelancer). This skill seems so involved, like it's more than just learning syntax(if statements, tags, what JSON strings are, ect). It's problem problem solving, like piecing together a huge puzzle. I was directed to a free online course that teaches this, starting with Scratch block-coding. Feels like I'm learning backwards. I started with javascript, then html, then a little css and a dash of python, and now, Scratch. I know I should go through with it, but it's hard to feel motivated, knowing that even if I do the course, as insightful as it may be, there is still a ton to be learned. I'm tempted to go with the hobbies I enjoy(blacksmithing, chemistry, random stuff) until I'm off to college, then I study. It's so comforting. "I don't really enjoy coding now, I'm kinda aimless, so you know what, I'll just do what I want to do right now and I still have a future in python ahead of me". I planned it out, I could do that. But really, do I need to start now? Will I be glad I did later on? How much more comfortable will I be coding in college and the workplace if I had already done so at home? At what age did you introduce yourself to coding?

    submitted by /u/ReeceTheBesat15
    [link] [comments]

    [C++] What trick is in this code to make it wrong?

    Posted: 23 Apr 2019 11:01 PM PDT

    Can't figure out what the heck is the error in this code.

    int count = 1; if (2 < count < 9) cout << "true" << endl; else cout << "false" << endl; 
    submitted by /u/lotyei
    [link] [comments]

    What portfolio projects are TOO junior for a junior frontend developer's portfolio?

    Posted: 23 Apr 2019 05:24 AM PDT

    So I'm finishing a year-long development intensive soon (sort of like a boot camp) where we study for 6 months and are given a Fortune 500 internship for 6 months. I know for a fact I won't be working at my internship (there are some unhealthy social politics taking place in my team that everyone is far too complacent to fix, and they're using an uncommon tech stack) so even though I graduate in 3 months, I wanted to start applying to positions next month after putting a portfolio together.

    I'm getting more into JavaScript and DOM manipulation, and are working on the "typical" beginner's apps (to-do lists and whatnot) but I have 4 years of a formally educated background in visual arts already, so I know I have that going for me at least... I was hoping to take some of these "toy" apps and add preloaders, animations, extra features, etc. But am I kidding myself here? Would an interviewer immediately roll their eyes if they see my fancy to-do app and other things I've created (I do actually have 3 completed websites as well)? As a side note, I have no plans of applying to any Big Ns or FAANGs, etc.. I literally want to work at a company with a decent work culture that will pay me. That's it. Preferably medium or small-sized, honestly, as long as there are senior devs that can help me grow.

    submitted by /u/CaliBounded
    [link] [comments]

    How do you edit existing webpages with Javascript?

    Posted: 23 Apr 2019 10:51 PM PDT

    By this I mean, using the console to enter Javascript to change the site's content, which is fixed when you refresh the page.

    I have this code as a reference, which animates all images on the page:

    javascript:R=0; x1=.1; y1=.05; x2=.25; y2=.24; x3=1.6; y3=.24; x4=300; y4=200; x5=300; y5=200; DI=document.getElementsByTagName("img"); DIL=DI.length; function A(){for(i=0; i-DIL; i++){DIS=DI[ i ].style; DIS.position='absolute'; DIS.left=(Math.sin(R*x1+i*x2+x3)*x4+x5)+"px"; DIS.top=(Math.cos(R*y1+i*y2+y3)*y4+y5)+"px"}R++}setInterval('A()',5); void(0); 

    I figured the way to change the content was to add "javascript:" to the start of my code, and then "void(0);" at the end, but that's not working for me.

    javascript: // Stores the content of the page, without HTML tags var d = document.documentElement.innerText; // Replaces every instance of "l", "r", and "n", ignoring case. d = d.replace(/l/gi, "w"); d = d.replace(/r/gi, "w"); d = d.replace(/ni/gi, "nyi"); void(0); 

    This code doesn't replace the page's content, instead it prints a copy of the edited content to the console.

    What am I doing wrong here?

    PS: Posted here because r/webdev doesn't like beginner questions.

    submitted by /u/MakorenWasTaken
    [link] [comments]

    I have recently began learning python as a first language and love it! I have a new found passion, what can I begin to learn skill wise or language wise, (after I have a firm grasp on python) to get me a job asap?

    Posted: 23 Apr 2019 10:42 PM PDT

    Input(eachAnswer)

    eachAnswer = (thank you very much!)

    Input(thatCodeIsBad)

    thatCodeIsBad = ('yes, I know but still ' + ' {eachAnswer}')

    submitted by /u/Uneedajob
    [link] [comments]

    Python - Learning how to pass API-Key and API-UUID to remote API

    Posted: 23 Apr 2019 06:47 PM PDT

    I'm new to Python. And am trying to connect to a remote restful api. I have the endpoint url. As well as an API Key and an API UUID that I'm told to pass to server (not sure about the proper term).

    Right now, with what little I know, I have this:

     import requests from requests.auth import HTTPBasicAuth api_uuid = 'y' api_key = 'x' api_url = 'https://test.api.com/restful/data/feed/' response = requests.get(api_url) print (response.status_code) 

    I'm not sure what I need to do to pass the api_key and api_uuid to the remote api server. I have read there are multiple tools like oauth1, oauth2, and HTTPBasicAuth. But none of these seem (to me) to be what I need.

    Appreciate the help.

    submitted by /u/acebossrhino
    [link] [comments]

    The Fallacy of Ego in Programmers / Web Developers

    Posted: 23 Apr 2019 10:12 PM PDT

    So oftentimes, HTML5, CSS3, and JavaScript are the go-to languages to learn for beginner programmers. No one is arguing that.

    However, it seems to be that a lot of CS grads who do Backend work either find true CSS3 and JavaScript work annoying, challenging, or downright frustrating.

    And yet there is a perception of Ego by Backend Engineers to Frontend Engineers in that they perceive HTML5, CSS3, and JS work as not true Engineering / Programming when they themselves probably couldn't do a good job at an advanced level.

    If that is the case, why is HTML5, CSS3, and JS perceived as the best for all beginners?

    You could make the argument that HTML5, CSS3, and JS when they get to the Advanced levels in Enterprise setting is more frustrating than doing advanced Backend work in Java or Python due to the codebases being cleaner on the Backend side. But is it though? Java and a lot of backend languages have a steep learning curve, too, so it kinda evens out, doesn't it?

    Isn't this argument kinda counterintuitive?

    submitted by /u/NearbyAuthor
    [link] [comments]

    What Statistical Progressing Language should a doctor become familiar with?

    Posted: 23 Apr 2019 10:07 PM PDT

    First off - statistics. I've seen multiple languages being used - R, SPSS and SAS.

    My use of the language would probably only be for smaller research projects. I'm not going to be running high intensity data analysis on entire medical record systems. I'm not trying to rebuild the wheel with regards to AI. Just trying to get better at research statistics.

    I would probably be limited to small amounts of data and simpler statistical calculations. Maybe a cut above Fischer tests and Z scores. What package would be easiest to get started with right away? I'm guessing SPSS since it's more user friendly than SAS. Any issues/costs I should be aware of with installing these on a computer?

    Secondly - automation of repetitive tasks on the computer. A lot of medical record work boils down to multiple keystrokes. Assigning shortcuts to open certain tabs would save eventual hours of clicking through drop menus. Any advice here? What would be the easiest way to quickly assign and modify shortcuts? I would not be fiddling with the EMR architecture. Anything that I could do externally?

    submitted by /u/tigers4eva
    [link] [comments]

    How to create my own projects/applications?

    Posted: 23 Apr 2019 07:34 PM PDT

    So I'm very new to the programming world. I've been learning Javascript for the past 4 or so months in a high school course. What we use in the course to run our code is code.org. It allows you to have a space where your code can be written, and then you see the physical embodiment of your code to the left, where it runs whatever you've written (like a canvas where you can paint with the mouse as an example of something I've done recently).

    It's how to emulate this outside of code.org that I'm interested with. If I wanted to create the same canvas application on my laptop at home, I'd have no idea where to start. I know of Microsoft's Visual Studio Code, where I can see what I've written, but how to run that code somewhere and see what it does, I'm not sure.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/I_am_Riddler
    [link] [comments]

    Raspberry Pi Cloud Gaming Tablet

    Posted: 24 Apr 2019 12:17 AM PDT

    I am creating a cloud gaming tablet powered by a Raspberry Pi 3.

    The problem is that I have never programmed anything before.

    I need to do the following:

    1. Create an attractive GUI for use with Parsec (I'd like to create my own solution but I know that is far beyond the scope of anything I can accomplish).
    2. As you can see there are lots of buttons and analog sticks, I need to create an interface with the Pi GPIO that allows me to use those correctly.
    3. Create a program that automatically launches a "console like desktop" on the PC being connected to.

    I'm completely lost and would like some guidance on where I should start and which language I should use.

    submitted by /u/GoldenPenisOfDeath
    [link] [comments]

    Has anyone ever heard of lambda?

    Posted: 24 Apr 2019 12:10 AM PDT

    It's a school that claims to get people jobs after they graduate is there anyone who has experience with it?

    submitted by /u/Dnjdjeejjeje
    [link] [comments]

    [Ruby] Question about Slicing

    Posted: 24 Apr 2019 12:00 AM PDT

    Hey everyone, I am trying to figure out slicing in Ruby and don't understand how it works.

    For example if you have:

    my_string = "Hello New York" my_string.slice(4, 9) 

    You get: "o New Yor"

    But then when you type:

    my_string = "Hello New York" my_string.slice(8, 9) 

    You get: "w York"

    I don't understand how it works - can someone help?

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/Lil_Hashtag
    [link] [comments]

    [C++] How to store information from a .txt file into a struct array and manipulating the .txt

    Posted: 23 Apr 2019 11:56 PM PDT

    I am creating a program that reads data from a .txt file and gives the user information based on the choice they pick. I am trying to figure out how to store information from that .txt file into a struct array. The text file is this:

    7

    New England Patriots,3,13,0

    Buffalo Bills,15,1,1

    Carolina Panthers,9,7,1

    Jacksonville Jaguars,10,6,1

    Miami Dolphins,7,9,0

    Green Bay Packers,11,5,1

    San Francisco 49ers,4,12,0

    The integer on top should equal the amount of teams info. The .txt file can be changed and my program should adjust to it. (The numbers order are win, losses, Did team make the playoffs: a 1 or a 0).

    Also, how would I store information in the .txt file into a struct array? I've been reading my text books and my notes and could not find anything that can help. Thank you for any help!

    My code: #include <iostream> #include <fstream> #include <string>

    using namespace std; struct teamInfo{ char teamname[100]; int wins; int losses; int playoffs; }; void menu(); int main() { char filename[80]; int size; int menuChoice; teamInfo *arr = 0; ifstream teams1; do { teams1.clear(); cout << "Please enter the name of the input file" << endl; cout << "File name: "; cin >> filename; teams1.open(filename); if(!teams1){ cout << "That is not a valid file. Try again!" << endl; cout << "Filename: "; cin >> filename; teams1.open(filename); } }while(!teams1); do { cout << "\nSelect one of the following choices: " << endl; menu(); cin >> menuChoice; }while(menuChoice != 0); return 0; } void menu() { cout << "\t1 - View team Win/Loss records" << endl; cout << "\t2 - Show teams with at least x wins" << endl; cout << "\t3 - List teams that made the playoffs" << endl; cout << "\t4 - Print teams and their Win Loss Differentials" << endl; cout << "\t0 - Exit Program" << endl; } 
    submitted by /u/toro228
    [link] [comments]

    Should I Continue With HarvardX CS50 If I Have No Interest In Most of the Languages Covered By The Course?

    Posted: 23 Apr 2019 11:36 PM PDT

    I've read about it being recommended a lot as a great introduction to programming for beginners. I've only gone through a bit of it so far, and I'm wondering if I should continue with it even if I'm currently only interested in stuff like Python, R, Matlab, etc.

    I know CS50 touches on Python later on, but I don't see any of the other languages on there that I'd like to learn more about.

    I'm hoping to begin with small things, like making a program that sorts my files by placing them into folders named by date. Then perhaps doing some data analysis using trade history from Runescape's Grand Exchange, and similar datasets, and seeing if I can get anything useful out of that.

    My long term goal at the moment is to also get into machine learning and combine it with all the data analysis/statistical expertise that I, hopefully, will have by that point in order to produce something interesting. Which is why I'd like to begin with a language that is relevant to my goals.

    But, again, I've heard that CS50 is a good broad introduction and the possibility remains that I might find something in the course that's even more interesting than what I'm aiming for now.

    In addition, I've also read that learning both a dynamic language, like Python, and a static language, like C, is a good way to learn about programming concepts that each language alone might not cover, which is something that CS50 includes.

    Thus, I'm still undecided on how to proceed.

    What do you guys think?

    submitted by /u/GimmeDaSauceBoss
    [link] [comments]

    Web Scraping Tables Help

    Posted: 23 Apr 2019 11:24 PM PDT

    So I want to scrape from certain tables, I can easily just plug it into excel or open office and get the output, the problem is that I want to pull from hundred to thousands of different URLs that vary slightly.

    Ex. https://basketball.realgm.com/national/tournament/18/adidas-Nations/0/stats/Historical/Totals/All/points/All/desc/1/

    I want to pull from the URLs that contain /1/ to /infinity/ essentially. There are also different parameters like /adidas-Nations/ which has multiple different ones and then within each of those I want the /1/ to /infinity/ as well.

    Then the same for: https://basketball.realgm.com/ncaa/stats/2019/Totals/All/All/Season/All/points/desc/1/

    where /2019/ would be from /2003/ to /2019/ and the /1/ would go to /infinity/ within each of those.

    What's the best way to extract all of that data into one spreadsheet?

    submitted by /u/Austin0896
    [link] [comments]

    I’m a freshman in college enrolled in computer science and I haven’t quite gotten the hang of Java yet.

    Posted: 23 Apr 2019 07:35 PM PDT

    The computer science course I took in high school was a joke and I learned very little from it. That's why when I enrolled in a CompSci course here at a university I was having a hard time getting a hang of the material. I have been forewarned that my next level course (CSC 230) is going to be very difficult. This worries me as I'm still not confident with my abilities in java at the introduction level.

    What are some helpful practices/techniques I can use to improve my skills in coding?

    submitted by /u/tornados_comin
    [link] [comments]

    Django! Need help with it

    Posted: 23 Apr 2019 11:15 PM PDT

    Can anybody share projects regarding Django? A simple site with some images will do! (GitHub)

    I am trying to understand the Django and rather than typing first, I am thinking of seeing the codes.

    I Just need a simple site.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/prasantbagale
    [link] [comments]

    Understand architecture of STM32 ARM Cortex M0+ Nucleo-64 board.

    Posted: 23 Apr 2019 11:11 PM PDT

    In this new video series, we will see how we can make software setup ready to get started with STM32 Nucleo-64 board. We will see what are the different tool-chain options available for Nucleo 64 board. Then I will demonstrate the steps required to prepare Keil MDK ARM tool-chain ready. We will install Keil and STM32CubeMX tools to program our controller. Along with that, we will discuss the basic architecture of STM32G070RB ARM Cortex M0+ core

    Link : https://youtu.be/9K9KX3H9l9U

    submitted by /u/microcontrollershub
    [link] [comments]

    [C++] Why does 17 give this nested loop at "true" value? Why not 63?

    Posted: 23 Apr 2019 11:05 PM PDT

     bool result = true; for (int i=2; i<num; i++) if (num % i == 0) result = false; if (result) cout << "true" << endl; else cout << "false" << endl; 

    Multiple choice question: Which value of 'num' will produce the output "true"?

    Choices: 6, 12, 17, 63.

    17 is the right answer. But why?

    From how I'm interpreting it, The loop keeps going until i becomes 16.

    16 mod 2 = 0

    result = false;

    thus if (result) would give us cout << "false" ?

    How am I misinterpreting the code?

    submitted by /u/lotyei
    [link] [comments]

    Any beginners reading i should get

    Posted: 23 Apr 2019 07:13 PM PDT

    looking for books or titles I should get to help me in the begging process. PDF's or hardcover

    submitted by /u/ChewyTHEBRAVE
    [link] [comments]

    What's the next language I should learn for web dev?

    Posted: 23 Apr 2019 10:57 PM PDT

    Just curious on which language (or languages) I should consider learning next. I'm getting pretty comfortable in CSS/HTML/JS, and would like to expand my knowledge.

    What's the most useful language to learn next, and what are the benefits?

    Appreciate any insight!

    submitted by /u/letspushpixels
    [link] [comments]

    Coding Dojo: Los Angeles/ Orange County

    Posted: 23 Apr 2019 10:48 PM PDT

    Basically I have all the beginner questions you can think of. For anyone that has attended these bootcamps:

    Did you feel you learned everything you needed within the 14 weeks?

    Were you able to pick the stacks?

    Was it worth the cost of tuition?

    Did they truly assist in finding you a job?

    If you full change anything would you?

    Full time in person or Full time online?

    I been thinking of attending the Orange County campus and I just want to hear some true reviews of it. I appreciate any perspective of your experience.

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/MichaelPaulfv
    [link] [comments]

    I’m going to start C soon, what can I do with it in the modern world?

    Posted: 23 Apr 2019 10:36 PM PDT

    That's always been the thing stopping me in the past from learning it. I have no idea how it would be useful to me other than understanding the grandfather of my two programming languages. So what can I do with it that would be useful to me personally? I'm not slamming the language, I'm genuinely curious about the possibilities.

    submitted by /u/Mymar
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment