• Breaking News

    Thursday, April 18, 2019

    Is deployment really this tough? web developers

    Is deployment really this tough? web developers


    Is deployment really this tough?

    Posted: 18 Apr 2019 08:58 AM PDT

    Besides using Heroku (which really isn't the greatest), does anyone else have problems with deployment to DigitalOcean or Amazon? Everything with having users, keys, permissions, etc., it is just a nightmare. Am I really this dumb or is this actually not the easiest thing?

    submitted by /u/Wizard_Knife_Fight
    [link] [comments]

    This guy made a live equalizer in the url

    Posted: 17 Apr 2019 05:23 PM PDT

    React Visualization Libraries in 2019

    Posted: 18 Apr 2019 10:32 AM PDT

    SEO has a technical question about progressive web apps

    Posted: 18 Apr 2019 03:12 PM PDT

    From my understanding the source code you view on a webpage using a progressive web app framework such as React, Angular or Vue isn't really the dom version rendered to bot crawlers? Is this correct?

    submitted by /u/Astriden1
    [link] [comments]

    With Chitika shutting down, what are some good online advertising network beside Google Adsense?

    Posted: 18 Apr 2019 11:18 AM PDT

    For the people who don't know Chitika is like Google Adsense but without the strict rules. They have announced that they will stop their service after 15+ years. What are some 2019 alternative that is also good without the same strict rules as Google Adsense?

    submitted by /u/FlyingChinesePanda
    [link] [comments]

    5 Tasks You Didn't Know Could be Done from the Developer Console

    Posted: 18 Apr 2019 08:56 AM PDT

    What is the proper way to connect the front end and the back end of an application?

    Posted: 18 Apr 2019 01:38 PM PDT

    Hi, new web developer here, I've been taking some online courses for specific technologies like React and Node, and now I am trying to put the all together and I've come to the following question.

    Like for example if I have node js on my back end and I scraped the contents of some website, how would I pass that information to my front end so it could be displayed once the operation has been done?

    I've seen that I could create a route for that like for example localhost:3200/web-scraped, but I feel like doing it that way exposes information to the user that maybe I don't want to expose. Is there a better way to achieve what I am trying to do?

    submitted by /u/iwanttobemayor
    [link] [comments]

    Use the search engine that plants tree! As devs we use google more than most I reckon

    Posted: 18 Apr 2019 04:16 AM PDT

    Any remote lap-top workers have portable second screens for developing?

    Posted: 18 Apr 2019 07:53 AM PDT

    I'm spending more and more time working truly remotely -- on the laptop from the park, at a coffee shop on the beach, etc. (highly recommend.)

    The only thing I miss is not having a second monitor, its really slowing my productivity.

    Does anyone have recommendations on a decent portable second monitor for a macbook? Something small and rechargeable that I can throw in my laptop bag and connect via hdmi?

    Cheers

    submitted by /u/blarghusmaximus
    [link] [comments]

    How do arrest record websites access state jail databases to get their content?

    Posted: 18 Apr 2019 05:49 AM PDT

    I work in the corrections field and frequently check the arre.st website for my local jail to see if any of my clients have been arrested. The site isn't always accurate when compared to the DOC's daily incarceration site but with DOC you have to enter a CAPTCHA before any search and before you can see any inmate images. How is arre.st getting these images and arrest data without entering the CAPTCHA? Do they have API access that isn't freely available to the public?

    submitted by /u/whiskeysnowcone
    [link] [comments]

    Great developers are raised, not hired

    Posted: 17 Apr 2019 10:23 PM PDT

    Which Login - A browser extension that remembers which social login you used last time

    Posted: 18 Apr 2019 04:03 AM PDT

    Help for making Responsive website (Backend developer Here)

    Posted: 18 Apr 2019 12:07 PM PDT

    Before going into details, I am a backend developer, I know HTML and CSS but I don't have the experience and knowledge to develop a responsive website or to be honest I am bad in creating the front end.

    So I am working on a personal project, and I am stuck on how to create a responsive website for my web app. As when I change the device display in browser developer tools my website is not aligned. All the components change their position and the app looks broken.

    I have a few questions

    1) How can I make the web app responsive to different device form mobile to desktops?

    2) What is the difference between media queries and bootstrap

    3) If I use bootstrap does my web app automatically becomes responsive (as bootstrap also uses media query)

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/vasurb
    [link] [comments]

    I'm on vacation so here are some CSS planets for you, because why not!

    Posted: 18 Apr 2019 01:20 AM PDT

    UI/UX resources for developer?

    Posted: 18 Apr 2019 02:12 PM PDT

    Hi all,

    I'm a web developer in a small company where there's no ui/ux person or web designer. Do you know of any good resources like books, courses or tutorials about designing good interfaces for technical people?

    Thanks a lot

    submitted by /u/lip3k
    [link] [comments]

    Collaboratively Browsing the Web in VS Code

    Posted: 18 Apr 2019 02:10 PM PDT

    Fasted web stack for development

    Posted: 18 Apr 2019 02:09 PM PDT

    Let's say you don't give a shit about scaling, etc and all you wanted to do is get a working MVP.

    What would be the fasted framework/stack to achieve this?

    I know this will be an opinionated subject, I'm more interested in reading people's opinions.

    submitted by /u/tksdev
    [link] [comments]

    How important is semantic HTML in modern professional development?

    Posted: 17 Apr 2019 10:50 PM PDT

    I can certainly see the usefulness of tags like header, footer, article, aside and even em and strong on occasion. But how important are tags like abbr, blockquote, cite and def?

    It seems like you would need a dedicated proofreader to go over all your copy and make sure appropriate semantic tags are used in appropriate places.

    So how important is it to make sure your markup is as semantically tagged as possible, both in a professional environment and as an aspiring developer who is building projects for a portfolio?

    Edit: Thanks for the responses. I'll be sure my HTML is semantic as hell! lol

    submitted by /u/Vinicide
    [link] [comments]

    I have a finished node.js/socket.io app. It works great on localhost. How do I put this online??

    Posted: 18 Apr 2019 01:49 PM PDT

    What the title says. I've put static pages online before, but I have zero idea how to do this. AWS would be preferred but I'm willing for anything.

    submitted by /u/Parado-I
    [link] [comments]

    Shared Hosting - Which Should I Use?

    Posted: 18 Apr 2019 09:51 AM PDT

    I have 5 wordpress websites that I currently need to move to a new hosting company.

    Each site gets approximately 100+ daily visitors.

    The sites are very low on resources as they do not have many images or videos.

    Which shared hosting company should I use? I am not tech savvy and need a company with good customer support on the phone.

    submitted by /u/getplusfollowers
    [link] [comments]

    copyright for sharing links

    Posted: 18 Apr 2019 01:34 PM PDT

    I am not asking for legal, but practical real life advice

    I am building a new app.. To initially get users on the platform, I would allow users to upload links to other websites images.

    I was thinking of the potential consequences of having users upload copyright images ... I am not keeping logs... can not prove which user and when did they upload... but I can remove the link from my application if there is copyright infringement

    What is the biggest risk that I am facing? I am not talking about movies, music or other copyright content.. just random images about travel, landscapes, places taken from other sites ..etc... for every location present in the app.... no direct upload, just links

    I read many years ago about the very sad story of Aaron Swartz...

    I dislike the copyright industry and the copyright holders, which threaten huge legal penalties every time something new is built

    I feel building new apps is harder given the huge competition and legal implications...

    Google and YouTube never been so negatively affected from users uploading music videos and movies online, for this reason I believe that I should not worry too much about a potential lawsuit..

    I currently reside in Italy and copyright law is weak, as my understanding based on the current law in Italy the worst could happen is having my domain blocked from the AGCOM Italian Internet Authority... which does not worry me at all...

    I don't believe that I could be called under process for feeding some images url of other sites from my application...

    Could you give me an opinion? Not a strict legal opinion, I don't think any Lawyer ever built Reddit, Facebook or Google site... but they may had 1000s reason not to do it

    Thanks a lot!

    submitted by /u/fabrizio_bertoglio
    [link] [comments]

    Challenging the common server/client communication practices.

    Posted: 18 Apr 2019 07:24 AM PDT

    Imagine 1,000 devices (smartphones, tables, PCs, macs) running iOS 12, Windows 10, Android Oreo or macOS Mojave + 1 main server. Each device is a parallel computational engine (I'm using the CPU of the device to do something) that performs one task and can communicate with every other 999 devices if needed. The standard way this happens today is by using a main server (with a database) that carries the signals.

    1. Is there a way for devices to communicate with each other (send 100 bytes of text) without having a server to intervene and carry the text?
    2. Is there a way for a server to send the text to devices rather than devices having to check repeatedly if a new text is available?

    Text will be 3-100 bytes.

    A third question would be where am I going with this? I will need devices to compute on a task (can't say exactly what) that has the text as an input. Each device once it has the text can compute very rapidly. The overall delay happens because of the inefficiency in communication.

    Pipeline (a lot easier to understand it)

    1. A server that needs a 100 byte text to be processed (can't say why or how) by other servers uploads it to the main server. overallDelay = 50ms
    2. Other servers search periodically (every x sec) the main server to see if a new text is available for processing which means there's a minimum and a maximum delay. overallDelay = [50ms, x+50ms]
    3. If other servers find on the main server that there's a request to process new text they download it. overallDelay = [100ms, x+100ms]
    4. The processing takes very little time. overallDelay = [150ms, x+150ms]
    5. It needs to upload the result to the main server at the "inbox" of the server that initially requested the computation. overallDelay = [200ms, x+200ms]
    6. The server that made the request also checks his "inbox" periodically (every y sec) to see new results. overallDelay = [200ms, x+y+200ms]
    7. If there are available results it downloads them. overallDelay = [250ms, x+y+250ms]

    I will need to eliminate x and y or have them sum up to less than a second.

    x + y + 250ms < 1000ms

    x + y < 750ms

    This can be x, y = 300ms but it puts too much stress on the communication.

    Actions

    1. Upload (50ms)
    2. Download (every x sec)
    3. Download (50ms)
    4. -
    5. Upload (50ms)
    6. Download (every y sec)
    7. Download (50ms)

    A better way

    1. Upload (steps * 50ms)
    2. -
    3. Download (50ms)

    If by some magic servers can communicate directly without the need of a main server the device that makes the computation request only needs to upload the text to a random 10 other servers. Each one would send to 10 more. In 3 steps it would cover 1,000 devices.

    1. overallDelay = 3 steps * 50ms = 150ms to send text to 10,000 devices.
    2. Naturally computation happens very fast and only a few of them have interesting results. overallDelay = 200ms
    3. They upload the results to the server that made the request. overallDelay = 250ms

    Even if it takes 250ms for each step it would still be more efficient and within the target goal.

    submitted by /u/ashesnroses
    [link] [comments]

    Should I make a tool in a library or raw JS?

    Posted: 18 Apr 2019 01:05 PM PDT

    Hey everyone, simple question. I'm looking at making a tool I'd like to get some use out of (and maybe see some use out of for some people). It's purely front-end, might be a browser extension at some point in its life. But the question is is it acceptable to build something like that in React or Vue, or should it be in plain JS so that when the "fads" fade, the tool is still there without having to side-load these now defunct libraries?

    submitted by /u/Murlock_Holmes
    [link] [comments]

    Lexbor: Web browser engine development. Part One: HTML

    Posted: 18 Apr 2019 05:27 AM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment