• Breaking News

    Thursday, April 4, 2019

    GameMaker Studio 2 will support methods, constructors, exceptions and a garbage collector

    GameMaker Studio 2 will support methods, constructors, exceptions and a garbage collector


    GameMaker Studio 2 will support methods, constructors, exceptions and a garbage collector

    Posted: 04 Apr 2019 09:27 AM PDT

    Unity to Godot

    Posted: 04 Apr 2019 08:29 AM PDT

    Recently adopted Godot as my primary engine after brushing it off for ages. I gotta say I highly recommend it. The transition from Unity has been very easy. It's much more lightweight (download is very small, start up is super fast) and its much less bloated. The node system is very easy to grasp if you initially treat them like GameObjects. Any node tree can be converted into a scene, which can then be added to other scenes (kind of like prefabs I guess). I've found it's much more intuitive than Unity in my opinion. The documentation is super thorough, and it supports C# and C++ now, although I'm kind of falling in love with GDScript. Plus open source and no royalties. I'm not really the type to hype stuff, but especially with the most recent update Godot could honestly be a Unity killer at least for Indie Devs. Becoming a fully fledged 3D engine is what made the difference for me. Plus it has built in tools that surpass Unity's in my opinion (like animation tools). And having the IDE built in to the engine is something I never knew I cared so much about.

    Anyway just wanted to offer my experience for anyone on the fence about it. Give it a chance.

    submitted by /u/GamesButtsAndBarks
    [link] [comments]

    Anybody perfer game development frameworks over engines?

    Posted: 04 Apr 2019 02:58 AM PDT

    I'm the kinda guy to take a framework like Monogame and make my game from scratch. anybody?

    submitted by /u/TheSimpleMan08
    [link] [comments]

    A Deep Dive Into Steam's Discovery Queue

    Posted: 04 Apr 2019 10:20 AM PDT

    Senior devs: how do you feel about being asked to do time-consuming tests as part of the recruitment process?

    Posted: 04 Apr 2019 07:15 AM PDT

    Hi All. Title says it all- if you've got a number of credits and successes already and multiple promotions under your belt, how do you feel about being asked to do tests as part of the recruitment process?

    Myself, I am an industry vet with ten AAA titles to my name, in a senior role. I am casually open to new roles, but not heavily pursuing them, and I would only take a new role for a great fit. I am surprised at the number of studios asking me to perform time consuming tests very early on the process. One studio asked me to do an 8-hour test before I even got to have as much as a single phone call with them. Others, I spoke to a recruiter for about twenty minutes and was told that the next phase was a test. Of the dozen or so roles that I have considered in the last six months, three of them included very early tests.

    I'd like to know what you all think. Are these tests reasonable? Or do you think these are lazy means of recruiting or perhaps even old fashioned and out of touch?

    submitted by /u/VanessaClarkLove
    [link] [comments]

    Real-time mesh slicing in our game Warlander

    Posted: 04 Apr 2019 08:13 AM PDT

    Need suggestions on what you think makes travelling an open world fun? <will take examples>

    Posted: 04 Apr 2019 08:49 AM PDT

    So I have been playing quite a lot of open world games recently. I already got some decent ideas on open world designs from previous questions I asked on this sub so this particular question is focusing on movement rather than exploring.

    Among the games I played were grand theft auto 5, san andrease, The Witcher 3, Breath of the wild, Borderlands Pre sequel, Assassin's creed black flag, Just cause 3,Far cry 3 etc

    Among all these games, some of the worlds had really interesting places to explore, but the main problem I faced is sometimes it feels like a chore to get from point A to point B while others were simply more enjoyable.
    Best example would be if I were to travel from one point to another in far cry 3 or Borderlands pre sequel
    it felt really tedious as if I was told to drag my own arse across the map.
    I felt like that in arkham city as well even though the I had a grapple and a cape it still felt really tiresome.

    I felt the opposite for Just Cause 3 where the map was beautiful but lacked the detail and every place looked the same but it was still more fun than fast travelling.

    One thing I noticed was that in every game where I felt bored to move and such, it either didn't have the "Flow" or felt like you were making little to no progress.
    In just cause 3 the wing suit provided a seamless and steady flow and it seemed like you were covering more grounds than you actually were <I had motion blurs off>. In breath of the wild, the game had this feel where even climbing the smallest of mountains felt like an achievement like "Yay you climbed this mountain only by using this given amount of stamina! give yourself a pat!". But in the arkham city game, traversing the world without the grapnel boost felt really unsatisfying as I had to stop after every ledge breaking the flow of movement and how he sometimes stopped by quicky and unnaturally adapting from fast and fluid movement to a sudden stop.

    This now makes me think that the animation also contributes to the flow

    In short I need ideas and examples on how would you make movement fun even if the environment in the game was an empty room.

    submitted by /u/Beepwolfees
    [link] [comments]

    Could my web-based voxel game infringe on this voxel patent?

    Posted: 04 Apr 2019 05:46 AM PDT

    Hi, I'm creating a web-based voxel game based on the marching cubes algorithm as seen here: https://i.imgur.com/maA8crm.gifv It's still pretty early in development but the terrain generation and editing is starting to take form. One goal of the project is to let players share their worlds with a URL. Since its web-based you'll want the initial load to be as quickly as possible. The seemingly obvious solution is to progressively stream in voxel-chunks from the web-server, starting with the ones closest to the player.

    But that might not be possible because of this patent https://patents.google.com/patent/US20160267705A1/en I came across a short while ago. It seems to describe a similar method of loading chunks. It also claims other standard voxel stuff. Like how voxels are divided and processed in chunks. It doesn't seem to claim any new tech, only it being done in a browser which in my opinion should be irrelevant. I believe any half-decent developer would come up many of the ideas being claimed.

    I'm sure it's pretty common for existing voxel games to load chunks progressively and offload the work to worker thread. I even think that's how Minecraft does it. I guess the only difference is that we're doing it in the context of a web browser instead of a native client, which again in my opinion shouldn't matter since you're basically producing the same results just using different apis.

    I'm worried that I could infringe on their patent based on the general idea of the implementation even though my exact implementation would probably differ completely.

    Could I just ignore it or should I contact a lawyer just to be on the safe side?

    Any help is greatly appreciated!

    submitted by /u/1_Hink
    [link] [comments]

    Is it possible for players to cheat in turn-based multiplayer games?

    Posted: 04 Apr 2019 08:53 AM PDT

    Apex Legends and many aim based shooters have an aimbotting problem. In turn based, multiplayer games without aim, are there ways players can cheat?

    submitted by /u/capriciousoctopus
    [link] [comments]

    Blender 2.8 Modeling Excavator : Boolean & Extrude

    Posted: 04 Apr 2019 11:01 AM PDT

    Humble 8-Bit Pixel Game Dev Bundle

    Posted: 03 Apr 2019 02:33 PM PDT

    Using music plugins in game development?

    Posted: 04 Apr 2019 10:38 AM PDT

    I was wondering if anyone could share some insight on how to incorporate plugins such as VST or AU in Unity and change or automate settings based on input, if that is a possibility.

    Thanks for the help!

    submitted by /u/Ogotu
    [link] [comments]

    What are some tasks you automate for your game development? (Regression/Sanity Testing, Deployment, etc)

    Posted: 04 Apr 2019 07:16 AM PDT

    Just to clarify, this isn't a 'how do you automate testing your game' post. As a solo-dev, I'm curious as to how others automate some of their more mundane tasks, such as what one might do before sending a new build out for testing.

    Recently I've been putting together various Python scripts that I now run using a master-script before each build. What used to be a process that easily ate up over an hour (or more when mistakes were made) is now super-quick with the click of a button. I can also feel much safer about the builds being complete and keep more of my hair from turning gray.

    For some background, my game is a top-down 2D action/adventure game. I've little experience with game engines, I'm not sure if they have some of this stuff built-in. I'm using the Libgdx framework myself.

    Perhaps some of you may find these ideas useful, I apologize if not. I know to an extent some of them can be avoided with more disciplined development practices. In any case, especially when working solo or in a small team, I think it's useful to have some extra automated sanity checking to save you future headaches.

    Here's a list of some of the scripts I have so far:

    Tilemap Object Location Checker

    When I'm developing/testing, I tend to move and change things around a lot. This includes objects in my tile maps. Every so often while I'm in the heat of things, I forget to put things back the way they belong. This is problematic with some of the more key objects that are involved in file saves, etc.

    So, I have a Python script that has a predefined list of all the important objects I care about and their id's/properties/locations. The current maps are checked against this list and any mismatches are reported. Of course, the down-side of this is that I have to create/maintain this list. But for the most part that's really something that's only done one time.

    Object Definition Checker

    Similar to the above situation, except this deals with the definitions of ALL of my objects. I have mine in xml, and some other things in json. Same idea here, but instead of a handmade list, I use actual copies of the xml/json files. My definition names are unique, so I only care about changed properties for same-name elements. If there are new definitions, the 'historical' copies are updated with them.

    Source Code Scanner

    I don't know about the rest of you, but when developing I start my game in many different ways. Whether I'm skipping menus, loading screens, changing the starting level, or perhaps some quick debugging options, there are numerous things in my source code that I modify. So I have another script that has preset things to check for in various source files for added security.

    Missing Asset/File Checker

    Now this is an odd one, because of a set of odd occurrences I've witnessed but could never fully figure out. There were a few instances of builds I sent to friends, only to have odd crashes when getting to parts of the game that loaded different assets. When I looked into my files, lo-and-behold, the files were missing. Luckily I make backups frequently. But when the bug occurred another time with a different file, I started getting very worried.

    It's my belief that perhaps one of the tools I use might inadvertently delete some files it has open when it crashes, but I can't say for sure. I can count on one hand how many times it's happened, but it's a pretty severe bug that scares the crap out of me. So, I wrote a script that keeps a historical record of all the files I have in my project. If anything is ever missing, it lets me know. New stuff gets added to the list automatically.

    Name Consistency Checker

    This one is probably redundant if you have proper naming conventions (I have some bad habits...) but I've had my windows builds get angry at me and crash when filenames did not match exactly (case sensitivity, slashes, etc). So, this script scans ALL of my source/xml/json for filename references (basically any literal with a slash or period in it) and find it's exact match in the project folder. I keep a list of false-positives for the scanner to ignore so it's not always full of errors, since some of those literals are not filenames.

    That's what I have so far. I'd love to hear what anyone else has, even if they're just ideas.

    Cheers

    EDITS: I'm really bad with this reddit editor and line breaks.

    submitted by /u/SnoozingPixel
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone want some (FREE) concept/character art? I'm practising

    Posted: 04 Apr 2019 09:13 AM PDT

    I'm looking to build my portfolio up from just illustration to game design/concept art/character art. It would be great to be given some real life briefs to work from to show potential employers in the future.

    Even if you don't need concept art anymore I'd really appreciate being given some of your early on sketches of characters/environment as well as written descriptions to work from.

    I'd prefer 'realistic' high poly styles (no voxels or low poly please) to build from. 2d or 3d is fine.

    Obviously the concepts and design remain as yours, my art will be free if I use yours to work with and I'll send what I make to you. I'm new to (good quality) digital art so don't expect anything incredible. Just having a practice.

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/joannu
    [link] [comments]

    VFX Graph and LWRP running in augmented reality with Magic Leap (See comments for upcoming tutorial)

    Posted: 03 Apr 2019 05:08 PM PDT

    For third person shooter: Should cross-hairs always be white?

    Posted: 04 Apr 2019 11:23 AM PDT

    What's a best-practice for cross-hair design? Which colors are easiest to see at all times for the player?

    I'm currently trying red (see vid below). I can see it fine, but I'm developing it, lol.
    Its' for a Megaman Legends fan game I'm making in UE4: https://youtu.be/FY8Q0El8E1I

    submitted by /u/adamkareem1
    [link] [comments]

    Animation rotation going crazy

    Posted: 04 Apr 2019 11:05 AM PDT

    Does anyone know why is this happening? I can animate the rotations changing the values manually in the animation window and it will work okay, but I have a lot of sprites in one animation and it will take 10x the time. I would like to animate it rotating the sprites in the editor like I did in other projects.
    Btw this happens to gameobjects with and without parent.

    Processing gif hpr88xy2faq21...

    submitted by /u/Charybdish
    [link] [comments]

    Adding temporary materials to objects

    Posted: 04 Apr 2019 07:17 AM PDT

    Hello everyone, I tried to google for some info on this but had no luck (or didn't know where to look)

    I'm writing some shaders that would be applied to items on top of their "regular" shader once in a while. Since some of them can be computationally expensive I'd rather use these materials only when they're needed. So my question is, how is this normally done in Unity? (or any other engine for that matter). Is it ok to dynamically add and remove materials to/from objects when they are needed? Or maybe you can write every shader as a "pass" and somehow activate/deactivate passes?

    What if you have a scene with hundreds or thousands of items and want to apply the same material to all of them at once for a couple seconds?

    Thanks.

    Jm

    submitted by /u/donxemari
    [link] [comments]

    Does anyone have any experience with setting up a website for their game? With how many people just use the Steam Store, does it make all that big of a difference?

    Posted: 03 Apr 2019 09:33 PM PDT

    From what I understand, it's a good idea to have at least one of the following for your game,

    • Twitter
    • Facebook
    • Tumblr
    • Instagram
    • Itch
    • Devblog
    • Standalone website
    • Subreddit
    • Presskit

    but I'd like to know if anyone has any information about how their lead to more traffic, or just generally benefited them. Does having a website help the SEO of the Steam page somehow? With how popular reddit is, does hosting your own forums work out better?

    I've been thinking about getting one set up for my new game, so I'm curious to know peoples' experience with having a dedicated website set up.

    submitted by /u/TankorSmash
    [link] [comments]

    Humble Book Bundle: Classic Video Games by Boss Fight Books

    Posted: 03 Apr 2019 06:36 PM PDT

    Trying to make a simple running game

    Posted: 04 Apr 2019 10:11 AM PDT

    Hello everyone,

    I'm currently trying to make a basic clone of Tom Sennet's "RunMan's Monster Fracas" (download / gameplay)

    I'm currently trying to do that using LÖVE.

    I'm currently struggling with the mechanism behind that. I understand that a camera have to be build for tracking the character moving across the level. But I don't understand how infinite level generation can be achieved.

    What is the algorithm behind that?

    Best regards.

    submitted by /u/ActiveUnit
    [link] [comments]

    Unity: How do i set up a level which plays intro music before the game starts?

    Posted: 04 Apr 2019 09:51 AM PDT

    Hello again,

    I'm currently working on an Arkanoid replica to learn Unity and I've manged to get fairly far with the game play mechanics. One thing that i'm unclear on is how you handle different levels and different happenings in a game. Case in point, the game Arkanoid starts off with an intro screen (which i don't care about right now) and then the first level loads. Before the game actually starts, a short jingle is played, some text is shown and the player paddle spawn.

    I've been trying to read up on how scenes work but in this case, a scene doesn't really feel appropriate since i can already see the level. So i don't want to switch levels or play a cutscene, I simply want the game to "pause" while the jingle is playing and the paddle appear.

    Any idea on what a good approach for this would be?

    For reference i have included a Youtube link: https://youtu.be/tn6-zcSxrO4?t=13

    submitted by /u/Takodan
    [link] [comments]

    Need help with AltTabbing in Fullscreen mode on DX11 (Windows)

    Posted: 04 Apr 2019 09:25 AM PDT

    Hello everyone.

    Hope I can find some help here.

    I have trouble with alt-tabbing my application, which is written using DX11 and is using an exlusive-fullscreen mode.

    Application just stucks on the black screen and then nothing happebns at all.

    Do you guys have any tips and tricks how to make this work?

    submitted by /u/PavelD500
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment