• Breaking News

    Wednesday, April 3, 2019

    Game Dev - Year 2 - A.I attacks and Basic Movement - Making the Ground Dragon

    Game Dev - Year 2 - A.I attacks and Basic Movement - Making the Ground Dragon


    Game Dev - Year 2 - A.I attacks and Basic Movement - Making the Ground Dragon

    Posted: 03 Apr 2019 01:37 AM PDT

    Jason Schreier's Anthem Article: I've been through this twice in my career; if you are working in a AAA or AA studio and experience the same, please talk to management and executives. Let's do something so this won't become or no longer be the norm in the industry we all love.

    Posted: 03 Apr 2019 06:57 AM PDT

    I'm an Attorney who provides legal services to Video Game Developers and Publishers, Ask Me Anything! Happy Spring!

    Posted: 03 Apr 2019 06:33 AM PDT

    Hello r/gamedev its the first Wednesday of the month and we are into spring winter is over! That means its time for our bi-weekly AMA. For all you first timers, my name is Zac Rich I am the founding partner of Press Start Legal, a law firm that provides legal services for the Interactive Entertainment Industry. We represent Game Devs, publishers, e-sports players and teams, content creators and social media influencers, tech startups, online and e-commerce businesses. My practice areas include marketing and advertising law, privacy law, intellectual property (trademarks and copyrights) and business law.

    If you have a question that may require you to share some confidential information regarding you or your company this is not the place to ask it. I strong encourage you send me an e-mail to [Zac@PressStartLegal.com](mailto:Zac@PressStartLegal.com). If you're not sure, better to send the e-mail than to ask it in a public place like this AMA.

    To learn more about my firm please visit our website. Want to connect with us? Follow us on Social Media!

    Twitter Instagram

    I appeared on the fantastic game dev podcast, Game Dev Unchained, I spoke with the team about the legal insights to the game development business. Check that out Here.

    Our new Blog Post on thepassing of the EU's copyright overhaul.

    The Office is Open So Ask me Anything! Please share this post with your friends, and colleagues in the industry!

    Disclaimer: Nothing in this post should be considered legal advice, everything posted here is my general opinion based on current laws in the United States as facts of your case may vary and effect the outcome greatly. This post does not create an Attorney-Client relationship, and as such, I strongly advise you do not post anything confidential. If you have a question you don't feel comfortable asking here, please direct message me or we can set up a free consultation, just send me an E-mail to [Zac@PressStartLegal.com](mailto:Zac@PressStartLegal.com)

    submitted by /u/PressStartLegal
    [link] [comments]

    WIP Wednesday #113 - let's get these threads going again!

    Posted: 03 Apr 2019 06:15 AM PDT

    What is WIP Wednesday?

    Share your work-in-progress (WIP) prototype, feature, art, model or work-in-progress game here and get early feedback from, and give early feedback to, other game developers.

    RULES

    • Do promote good feedback and interesting posts, and upvote those who posted it! Also, don't forget to thank the people who took some of their time to write some feedback or encouraging words for you, even if you don't agree with what they said.
    • Do state what kind of feedback you want. We realise this may be hard, but please be as specific as possible so we can help each other best.
    • Do leave feedback to at least 2 other posts. It should be common courtesy, but just for the record: If you post your work and want feedback, give feedback to other people as well.
    • Do NOT post your completed work. This is for work-in-progress only, we want to support each other in early phases (It doesn't have to be pretty!).
    • Do NOT try to promote your game to game devs here, we are not your audience. You may include links to your game's website, social media or devblog for those who are interested, but don't push it; this is not for marketing purposes.

    Remember to use #WIPWednesday on social media for additional feedback and exposure!

    Note: Using url shorteners is discouraged as it may get you caught by Reddit's spam filter.

    All Previous WIP Wednesdays

    submitted by /u/purebotg
    [link] [comments]

    80lvl Tech Art article "Game Dev Under Stress" for thesis project "ShellShock"

    Posted: 02 Apr 2019 05:34 PM PDT

    Trailer for the mobile game i'm developing called ORSA

    Posted: 03 Apr 2019 11:15 AM PDT

    we made a 200,000km2 open world map then realised we made a 200,000km2 open world map how big is too big?

    Posted: 03 Apr 2019 08:08 AM PDT

    i'll give some background

    ive decided to reenter the game dev world after a long hiatus i started out as a modder in HS then when i left me and a few friends made our own studio and were working on a kind of 90s-00s fallout set in and around Melbourne Australia but we ran out of funding pretty quick and the project was abandoned (this was long before go fund me or greenlight)

    i joined the Army for 8 years then left and did an IT diploma i made friends and we all decided we don't like the direction Elder Scrolls is going in so we decided to make a spiritual successor to Daggerfall

    i am mostly story and lore master and just generally main project lead but i have been leading on the map because there was a technique i learnt on my own years ago to get massive maps in Cryengine

    ok so now is my question how big is too big ive done stress testing and the map is stable but when i got a bot to navigate the map and timed it its beginning to seem too big maybe? for example there is a smaller island off the main continent thats about qtr the size of Tasmania but it takes about 15 hours for the bot to swim to it

    i'm not sure how i should tackle this the idea is fantasy realism so like a mix of elder scrolls and kingdom come deliverance

    no ones particularly keen on making the map smaller the idea is for players to play the game all their lives and never really find everything and for quests to potentially take real world days to finish but i don't want the player to play walking simulator either

    i was thinking of having a fast travel similar to kingdom come or fallout however you can stop at any time to see your surroundings get alerts of something nearby but i want them to actually find something

    non quest dungeons will be randomly generated obviously as will non major side quests but i don't want to rely on it too much either

    the other thing too is that your mythical creatures like unicorns trolls giants etc etc are going to be hard to find like you will need to search the deep wilderness and roots of mountains to find them you wont just find them strolling around just outside a village this is partially because of how irritating it was in newer elder scrolls to be told "you must go on a quest its long and dangerous beware of the rare cave troll" and then the quest is 30 meters way and there's several cave trolls along the way

    what can i potentially do to keep players engaged in the far reaches of the game world because there will no doubt be people who wont use the travel system and walk everywhere for bragging rights

    Edit: forgot to mention we have all gone on to do a 5 year game development degree at a reputable tech university in here in Australia some top rated indie games on steam actually started development during this degree so we want to use the 5 years to get to something presentable before we start asking for money or doing things like early access

    submitted by /u/Backpk
    [link] [comments]

    Networking player position syncing

    Posted: 03 Apr 2019 10:30 AM PDT

    Hello,

    I'm trying to figure out how to keep a player's position synced to their position on the server. I'm using Javascript and websocket so I'm only limited to TCP, but I'm hoping to get some advice from experts in the field.

    I was thinking of having an authoritative server that updates the player's position based on the movement key the client sends. Server is running an instance of the game engine. Then if a client pushes "forward" key, that message is sent to server and the server's game runtime will keep updating the player's position and broadcast the updated position to the client and other players 30 times a second.

    I think this would work fine for other players in the game because I can interpolate between two last position "frames" sent by the server. However, I'm confused as to how this would work for the person playing the game. To prevent input lag, the client would be updating its position separately from the actual position on the server. But this introduces compounding position error over time, and the client might end up at a different place than the actual position on the server. What kind of approach would prevent this kind of scenario?

    Here's an example of what I'm referring to: http://www.kinematicsoup.com/news/2017/5/30/multiplayerprediction?utm_source=youtube&utm_medium=post

    Thank you for your help.

    submitted by /u/sinefine
    [link] [comments]

    Trying to spotfix a design flaw... Any suggestions?

    Posted: 03 Apr 2019 08:13 AM PDT

    Hey game dev folk. Looking to get some advice here and hopefully hear as many different takes on this problem as I can.

    Okay so context:
    I've been working on a game for a little over a year now, we have a small grant that comes with a condition that we need to demo by the end of July. I think we're roughly on track there, but some early testing has revealed a flaw in the design of the game, and I'm not sure we really have time to redesign the game on a level that would be required to truly fix the issue.

    So the game itself is a bit unique. VR based, one person plays as a hero using the VR headset, then up to 4 other players play on mobile devices as the gods of Olympus and they're basically competing to stop the hero player. The game is played over a few rounds, each built into two stages:

    Stage 1 - Planning Stage: The VR Player ascends an elevator to the next floor while the mobile players add monsters and traps to the room the VR player is about to enter. There's lots for the mobile players to do at this point, including managing a tech tree, placing creatures, and using a whole rewards system I won't get into. BUT the VR Player currently has very little to do beyond enjoy some scenery around the elevator ride.

    Stage 2 - Action Phase: The VR player reaches the next floor, and does battle against whatever the mobile players have pit them up against. The mobile players get a top down view and can activate abilities on the creatures and traps they placed previously. Both player groups here seem to have a sufficient amount of things to do to make this a high-intensity part of the flow curve of the game.

    Right, so I think the issue may be self evident there, but to clarify: currently the VR Player is just sitting idle while the gods go through their Planning phase. In terms of flow, this point is just too low. I feel like the VR player needs more agency, or things to do during this period. The right thing to do would be rethink the overall design to make a better overall experience for the VR Player (I think.) But that's not an option given the current timeframe.

    So do you folks have any suggestions for what the VR Player might do during this downtime? I've got a few ideas, but I'd like to see what outside perspective might bring in here.

    submitted by /u/TheMikeDaoust
    [link] [comments]

    What QA/Testing software do you use?

    Posted: 03 Apr 2019 05:26 AM PDT

    Hey all! I'm hoping to start work on a new QA/Testing tool designed specifically for video game devs. The goal is to make bug reporting, organization, and tracking easier and more tailor made for game development. As a one man show (for now) there's only so much I can research. So I'd like to know from you all your experience with testing, what tools you use, and how you think it can improve. Thank you all in advance for the help!

    Some suggestions to cover in your answer:

    • Scale of your company (Big, small, solo)
    • How many testers do you work with?
    • What QA/Testing software do you use to report, organize, and track bugs and issues with your games?
    • What do you like about it?
    • What do you hate about it?
    • What new features you would like to see?
    submitted by /u/sebaimans
    [link] [comments]

    Diligent Engine now supports Vulkan on iOS (enabled by MoltenVK)

    Posted: 03 Apr 2019 08:57 AM PDT

    I should create my save system, right now ? 1st game

    Posted: 03 Apr 2019 03:32 AM PDT

    Hi, I'm creating a RPG. The combat system is done (2 months of hard work !). The inventory system is done. The dialogue system is done. I have to make my quest system, potentially my skill system, ... and all the world !

    My goal is to finish the first level as proof of concept. Then, from this base, only create content. My secondary objective would be to have something to show any programmer in order to convince him to help me on the skill system. So my question is simple : Should I attack directly on the save system or wait until my proof of concept is finished?

    Thank you !

    submitted by /u/Molina_Eco
    [link] [comments]

    Twitter tags

    Posted: 03 Apr 2019 11:23 AM PDT

    Whats up everyone o/ Im exploring Twitter now and of course read some content about it, but i'm still with some doubt about the hashtags, speccially its power. I know that Twitter is the which uses the most of it but the same tag gives different potential over view repercussion.

    I'm new to this side of the gamedev and i would like to know your guys experience about it. Please :3

    *The tweets i refer to in the text are all about games, the bigger ones are some like ubisoft, bathesda, etc. So i was comparing the big ones practices with the indie studios(both big and small). I ran over almost 300 twitter pages.

    submitted by /u/BrutalDog
    [link] [comments]

    Best Engine/Library For My Idea?

    Posted: 03 Apr 2019 11:17 AM PDT

    Hello,

    Preface: I am unsure if this is the appropriate place to ask, so rip on me if it isn't! I am a hobbyist game developer with a couple of GameMaker and Unity games under my belt. I am finishing up a current project of mine and already thinking about another one.

    What I want to build is a 3D, low poly RPG, click to move, one large world map that I am sure I'll have to de-render beyond a certain sight line. The only thing I can loosely compare it to is a single player classic Runescape.

    Does anybody have any insight into what a good engine/library would be to build this? I am confident enough in my abilities in C++, C#, Python, and any similar languages. This is a hobby/passion project, so length of development and learning curves of all sorts are okay for me.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/altocgamedev
    [link] [comments]

    Can i use real weapons names in my game?

    Posted: 03 Apr 2019 11:14 AM PDT

    I really only need to add 3 weapons and i am afraid the names are trademarked AK47 M40A3 insert a revolver name (still hasn't picked one to add) Or do i have to change the name a little.

    submitted by /u/Hamza_DU
    [link] [comments]

    Unity: Re-trigger a single sound while others are running?

    Posted: 03 Apr 2019 11:07 AM PDT

    Hey,

    I'm making an Arkanoid clone and currently i have two sounds loaded -- one when the ball hits the wall and one when it hits the paddle. If the ball hits a corner wall it sounds like it is playing the same sound twice really quickly since there is a short but noticeable delay and volume increase. This is something i don't want.

    I would like for it to work like different channels.

    If channel 1 is playing a sound and it is triggered again, that channel should stop and re-trigger the sound. Same with all other sounds, that is, a specific sound clip should only be allowed to play if that sound isn't playing. If it is, it should re-trigger.

    I tried doing using the Stop() function, but this seems to stop all sound.

    public static void PlaySound(string clip)

    {

    switch (clip)

    {

    case "start":

    source.PlayOneShot(startJNGL);

    break;

    case "startLevel":

    source.PlayOneShot(levelJNGL);

    break;

    case "paddle":

    source.PlayOneShot(paddleSFX);

    break;

    case "brickLow":

    if (source.name == "brickLowSFX" && source.isPlaying)

    {

    source.Stop();

    source.PlayOneShot(brickLowSFX);

    }

    break;

    case "brickHigh":

    source.PlayOneShot(brickHighSFX);

    break;

    }

    }

    submitted by /u/Takodan
    [link] [comments]

    The Best Game Design Ideas from GDC | A Summary and Analysis of Talks you Shouldn't Miss

    Posted: 03 Apr 2019 10:59 AM PDT

    A video game idea, what do i do with it?

    Posted: 03 Apr 2019 09:34 AM PDT

    So i have an idea for a large scale game (RPG-ish), and i have no idea what to do with it.

    i kind of believe in this idea that it would be successful (and im not saying that just because it's my idea hahaha, i swear)

    What do i do with video game ideas?

    can i somehow suggest it to a industry or something?

    and how can i assure nobody will steal the idea?

    submitted by /u/BadJoker19
    [link] [comments]

    Dungeon Generator in Unity2D

    Posted: 03 Apr 2019 09:32 AM PDT

    Where to start? (C++)

    Posted: 03 Apr 2019 09:19 AM PDT

    For the last couple months ive been working on art and story for a game, however, i need to learn C++ for gms2. This language is very overwelming, whats the best way to start learning? Ive already tried reading a few beginners guides but they were all very confusing for starting.

    submitted by /u/leftrightxd
    [link] [comments]

    Procedural development of assets

    Posted: 03 Apr 2019 05:06 AM PDT

    Firstly, let me tell you my understanding of procedural Generation. Feel free to correct me wherever I'm wrong.

    Let's say i have created a house using blender. I create maybe 5 different variations of the same house by say changing the designs of roof, doors, windows, etc. I use substance designer to apply textures to these models and then later import everything to unreal. In unreal, while placing the house, i have options to build My final house using those 5 options in blender.

    This is what i understood from "the making of assassins Creed unity" on YouTube.

    Is this what procedural generation is all about? I'm relatively new to blender and SD and haven't used unreal much. If this isn't procedural generation, then please explain me What it actually is and how and where i should start to achieve the result. If you can watch that video on YouTube, you can see that he comes up with different varieties of just the roof of a building simply by scrolling. So my guess is he already had created a variety of roof designs earlier and used them accordingly.

    Please help ME Out .

    submitted by /u/Sandeep184392
    [link] [comments]

    How can I improve my level design documents/whiteboxing?

    Posted: 03 Apr 2019 08:49 AM PDT

    I've been applying to some bigger companies for level design jobs and I recently gotten feedback that I don't show a clear understanding of metrics, so I want to know what I could do better in those terms and more.

    Without going against the NDA, I was tasked to create a level in 3D and I made sure that there were no areas that were exploitable due to the metrics they provided. I did fail in that I did not use grid based textures to clearly show what the measurements were for each area, and I could have used more time to place measurements of important areas. But aside from that I am not very sure on how to show off my design better.

    I checked online for whiteboxing examples and MDDs but so far I think I've done about the same as them in terms of documentation, I just think they really focused on the 3D level and were not impressed by that.

    submitted by /u/HollanderSmile
    [link] [comments]

    Free Asset: Shed, Tools, Bridge and Fences. Making it free for its 1 year anniversary, and also since we just released another pack. Have fun!

    Posted: 03 Apr 2019 04:26 AM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment