• Breaking News

    Friday, April 5, 2019

    CompSci Weekend SuperThread (April 05, 2019) Computer Science

    CompSci Weekend SuperThread (April 05, 2019) Computer Science


    CompSci Weekend SuperThread (April 05, 2019)

    Posted: 04 Apr 2019 06:05 PM PDT

    /r/compsci strives to be the best online community for computer scientists. We moderate posts to keep things on topic.

    This Weekend SuperThread provides a discussion area for posts that might be off-topic normally. Anything Goes: post your questions, ideas, requests for help, musings, or whatever comes to mind as comments in this thread.

    Pointers

    • If you're looking to answer questions, sort by new comments.
    • If you're looking for answers, sort by top comment.
    • Upvote a question you've answered for visibility.
    • Downvoting is discouraged. Save it for discourteous content only.

    Caveats

    • It's not truly "Anything Goes". Please follow Reddiquette and use common sense.
    • Homework help questions are discouraged.
    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Since Friedrich L Bauer organized the very first conference on software engineering in 1968, experts devised methodologies that use mathematics to ensure error-free programming. Why aren't we using them?

    Posted: 04 Apr 2019 06:30 AM PDT

    Good resources for learning general, practical computer stuff?

    Posted: 04 Apr 2019 10:18 AM PDT

    I'm currently doing a CompSci conversion masters (from biology) but often feel there are huge gaps in my knowledge that slow me down when trying to get work done. It sounds dumb but I often really struggle with installing technical software (e.g. Node.js, C compiler) and always have to resort to blindly follow instructions from googling error messages. Anything involving the Command Prompt/Terminal seems to cause me grief. Also, stuff relating to networking and servers baffle me.

    I'd really like to dedicate some time to fixing these gaps in my knowledge. Does anyone know of any resources they'd recommend for achieving this? Also, if there are other things I haven't mentioned (but you think I am likely to not know but need to understand) I'd appreciate the heads up!

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/smiles17
    [link] [comments]

    Learning mathematics as sysadmin and coder

    Posted: 04 Apr 2019 03:27 PM PDT

    I have a bachelor's degree in computer science, but I was never good at math, or rather, never gave myself a fair chance. I did the bare minimum to get by.

    I am however (according to teachers and colleagues) a rather proficient sysadmin and coder/developer.

    How can I, with these skills, make learning mathematics easier for me? Are there any books on improving math and/or physics skills as a developer, for example?

    submitted by /u/GAGARIN0461
    [link] [comments]

    Father of GANs Ian GoodFellow Splits Google For Apple

    Posted: 04 Apr 2019 04:26 PM PDT

    New Google Brain Optimizer Reduces BERT Pre-Training Time From Days to Minutes

    Posted: 04 Apr 2019 11:09 AM PDT

    Countably infinite alphabet vs uncountably infinite alphabet

    Posted: 04 Apr 2019 07:41 AM PDT

    What is the difference between these two? I need it explained in Layman's terms, stack overflow's mathematical terms are pretty far beyond the scope of my course.

    I guess a countably infinite alphabet would be like a, b, c, d.. etc

    but what do we actually have to do to said alphabet, to make it uncountable?

    And if diagonalization applies to this new uncountable alphabet, why doesn't it apply to the first?

    submitted by /u/Sheeplie
    [link] [comments]

    Is the Fashion World Ready for AI-Designed Dresses?

    Posted: 04 Apr 2019 11:11 AM PDT

    Question about computer programs/software

    Posted: 04 Apr 2019 09:43 AM PDT

    I previously had this asked on Quora, but I want to get an answer to it here instead.

    Computer software is an instruction set, so why is it treated as something able to perform tasks itself, such as Photoshop (software) being said to be able to "edit images"? Is it due to abstraction, or is it something done for convenience, kind of like how people would say "run" a program instead of "execute a program instruction"?

    submitted by /u/Quartzviel
    [link] [comments]

    How To Inspire Girls All Around The World In STEM

    Posted: 04 Apr 2019 05:06 AM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment