• Breaking News

    Monday, March 4, 2019

    Why is this website so beautiful? web developers

    Why is this website so beautiful? web developers


    Why is this website so beautiful?

    Posted: 03 Mar 2019 10:20 PM PST

    I am talking about https://stripe.com/.

    Can anyone please tell me how stripe managed to create such a beautiful website? I want to create something like or even better. If anyone can point out certain technologies used to achieve this masterpiece. I'll be damn happy.

    submitted by /u/SmoothVeterinarian
    [link] [comments]

    W3C and FIDO Alliance Finalize Web Authentication Standard

    Posted: 04 Mar 2019 12:15 PM PST

    Should I go with node.js and give up python/django?

    Posted: 04 Mar 2019 03:51 PM PST

    I'll get right to the point.

    I have a little more knowledge in Python and Django, but I'm a beginner anyway. The only thing I did with Django was a blog with comments, pagination, search, and basic authentication.

    However, there are about 3.5 times more nodes for node compared to Django (okay, we know node is the "backend" platform, and Django is a framework, but I say this because Django pretty much equals Python for web, and I believe that the vacancies for node.js are almost all for web).

    And as I'm learning front-end, i.e. learning javascript and in the future will learn React, it seems to be more advantageous to abandon Python for now, because anyway I'll have to learn more javascript to get good on the front end. (I intend to learn more front end for 2/3 months, I already know the basics of JS, sun, events, missing things like POO, Async, Ajax / Fetch, APis etc. And then I'll learn React. -end). So it would be a language and a syntax to learn rather than two.

    Is there anything in Python and Django that compensates not learning node and also possibly mongodb to get the MERN stack?

    Another thing I found cooler is that using node seems to work at a lower level, which is harder, but it makes me better understand how things work (this is just a "I think that's it").

    submitted by /u/marcosr00t
    [link] [comments]

    How bad is React Native nowadays?

    Posted: 04 Mar 2019 01:23 PM PST

    I'm fairly new to webdev and mobile dev and it's been pretty fun. I specially like JS and CSS. But when it comes to bigger projects, cross-platform developing is a pain in the ass.

    And React Native sounds like an amazing solution. I really like the idea and how it has good examples of well-built apps like Instagram or Tesla. But I've seen a lot of hate on RN, specially on Reddit. I'm no pro so I can't understand most complaints yet but it pushes me back. I also took a look at Flutter but it seems to be just for mobile and I'm completely unfamiliar with Dart.

    What's your opinion on cross-platform developing? Where can I read more about this?

    submitted by /u/RecklessGeek
    [link] [comments]

    If degree is not a requirement in getting a job as web dev, why most company listed 'minimum Bachelor Degree' in job postings?

    Posted: 04 Mar 2019 03:05 AM PST

    Hi there!

    I'm in a process of finding job as a web developer. I don't have any degree whatsoever (self taught) and planning to showcase my skills using my portfolio and knowledge. I am applying for junior developer position as I have less than 2 years of experience in coding and my previous work experience is as a sales/marketing at a local startup.

    However, when I scroll through job postings online, almost all of the posting state that candidate should have at least a 'Degree' in related IT field of some sorts.

    My questions;

    1. Is this requirement not exactly mandatory by the employer? Like if I submit my resume and they can't see any degree listed, will they automatically reject me?
    2. How was your experience (non-degree holder / self taught developer) in getting your first job? Was it hard to convince them to hire you? Especially if you have less than 2 years of experience. Any tips?
    submitted by /u/manzayn
    [link] [comments]

    How do you progress as a self-tought developer, beyond what is normally taught in online courses?

    Posted: 04 Mar 2019 04:11 AM PST

    I feel like all the different online courses like Udemy, etc, all stop at just the edge of introductory level web-development: You'll learn html, css, JS, and the basics of React. Maybe even some "advanced" react topics like modals, context and Redux.

    But what about when you actually want to go beyond beginner-level, and star to make apps that are actually impressive?

    How do you learn about industry-standard usage and implementation of things like Docker, Kubernetes, Service Workers, authentication/sessions, cloud hosing (aws), HTTPS, DB caching, etc?

    I've looked and I've looked but I seriously cannot find anything to help me in that direction moving forward, and I feel a bit hopeless, because I'm not in a position where I can get a mentor and my job to help me with these things. I'm stuck looking up the topics on my own, like Docker, but it's hard to grasp what I should be doing with these things, and how.

    So...how do you do it? And can you suggest a real advanced-web dev course that covers REAL topics that should be implemented in any modern website?

    submitted by /u/pandavpanda
    [link] [comments]

    An Article from my former professor about the "bland" design of new websites.

    Posted: 04 Mar 2019 04:33 AM PST

    How long it might take to implement a custom theme based on Invision designs?

    Posted: 04 Mar 2019 12:58 PM PST

    I have a designer client who wants me to turn his Invision designs into a Wordpress theme. Nothing particularly complex there or "I-dont-know-how-to-do-that", but designs aren't basic either.

    I have about 4 years of experience in web development, but is it reasonable to estimate this at 55-65 hours? Obviously there are people who could whack it out in 12 hours (as per this subreddit) but I'm talking about average FE developers

    I'm always concerned that my more tech savvy clients might call me out for wrong estimates.

    submitted by /u/ignite-me
    [link] [comments]

    How should a developer treat an unfamiliar and outdated library?

    Posted: 04 Mar 2019 04:27 PM PST

    Hey everyone. At work we are migrating to a modern library which I'm comfortable with, however there is still a little more than half of the code in an older library (Backbone) which I'm very unfamiliar with. I'm finding myself in a tricky position where normally I would invest my time and try to learn X technology better, but considering Backbone hasn't had a release in almost three years and is considered outdated, I'm hesitant to learn it better, especially when that time can be put into learning modern libraries & frameworks which are used in the industry. The issue is, it is guaranteed we will still be developing with Backbone by the end of the year (probably not much though).

    So I'm at a crossroads and this doesn't have to be specific to Backbone, but how should a developer treat an outdated and unfamiliar library that's being phased out?

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/SweetestTeaCups
    [link] [comments]

    Do you ever need to pay extra to display an SSL certificate after purchasing it?

    Posted: 04 Mar 2019 04:26 PM PST

    As the question suggested, somebody I know told me they needed to pay extra to a developer to display an SSL certificate he'd already purchased.

    I've never known this to be a thing...

    submitted by /u/TehSkrunch
    [link] [comments]

    Parent-child problem (PHP and mysql)?

    Posted: 04 Mar 2019 04:24 PM PST

    Table 1 (parent-child) ~~~~~~~~ id name parent_id 1 fruits ` 0 2 vegetables 0 3 orange 1 4 apple 1 5 potato 2 6 broccoli 2 7 Red Apple 4 8 Green Apple 4 I know how to generate lists (ul/li) using recursion.(parent to child) 1. I want to know if it is possible to generate this from (child to parent) in the same (ul/li) style but the output should be displayed like (parent to child) 

    submitted by /u/IamAnisotropic
    [link] [comments]

    Can someone tell me how to get sections to line up in a row at a min screen width of 900px?

    Posted: 04 Mar 2019 04:09 PM PST

    Here is my project on rep.li so far: https://repl.it/@hungrygoat/flexbox-mobile-first-starter-1

    I need the .product sections to line up horizontally when the screen width is a min of 900px. This is what I have so far in the css:

    .product, border {

    border: 1px solid lightgray;

    border-radius: 10px;

    margin-right: 30px;

    margin-left: 30px;

    display: flex;

    flex-direction: row;

    justify-content: flex-end;

    align-items: flex-end; } }

    submitted by /u/riotingmashedpotato
    [link] [comments]

    What are the cool kids using to host static sites and small apps these days?

    Posted: 03 Mar 2019 09:39 PM PST

    (I'm not asking anyone to do my homework here -- I can and will do my own googling. But would be awesome to get some input from redditors in the trenches.)

    It's been a long time since I deployed something that wasn't in a corporate work environment with custom everything on AWS/Google/etc.

    Back in the day I'd use Heroku to host small web apps, and DreamHost for WordPress and static sites.

    I'm old and out of touch! What do y'all use to host static sites, say generated from gatsby? What do you use for nodejs apps?

    Edit: Thanks all for the helpful replies! <3

    submitted by /u/ilikepugs
    [link] [comments]

    Can someone give me some feedback?

    Posted: 04 Mar 2019 03:58 PM PST

    Is webdev best for landing a remote job?

    Posted: 04 Mar 2019 03:47 PM PST

    Or would focusing on a different area of software development be better for this?

    submitted by /u/etaco
    [link] [comments]

    Designing for WordPress worth it?

    Posted: 04 Mar 2019 03:47 PM PST

    Question. Is it worth spending the time to design the fine details of a website that you know will be developed on WordPress, which lacks freedom and customizability? Or do you just design the high level layout to know where you want specific features to be placed? With the diversity of APIs available, unless you know the best ones, it's hard to visualize the end picture.

    submitted by /u/zakir112
    [link] [comments]

    Web application for sharing documents inside my engineering school (Centrale Lille).

    Posted: 04 Mar 2019 03:33 PM PST

    Working with OAuth and the DB?

    Posted: 04 Mar 2019 03:19 PM PST

    I'm trying to implement a login / register user flow that includes local authentication (signup via email/password) as well as oauth logins (facebook, github, etc), however I'm running into some roadblocks when it comes to storing the oauth users in the db.

    - Should the oauth users be stored in the same "users" table as those who registered with their own email/password or should there be a separate oauth user table? The issue I see with them both in the same table is that I'd have to make the hashed password field optional (since oauth users wouldn't have one).

    - If both types of users are in the same table, how do you handle emails? I'm currently grabbing the users email via the oauth login data payload. If a user registers via oauth but then tries to sign up manually with the same email that's tied to their oauth account, they would get a "user already exists" notification. Is this appropriate?

    Sorry for the seemingly basic questions. I can find a lot of information on how to setup oauth via various sites, but there doesn't seem to be much out there in terms of what you do with the data once the user authorizes.

    submitted by /u/rfizzy
    [link] [comments]

    TypeScript introduction - part II

    Posted: 04 Mar 2019 11:24 AM PST

    Any quick Admin Panel's for REST API, basic CRUD, user restrictions?

    Posted: 04 Mar 2019 03:09 PM PST

    Hey guys,

    I have an existing MySQL database documented with Swagger/OpenAPI 2.0, with all the calls written in CURL/PHP generating my front end/UI. I want to stop owning the maintenance of every single change in the database lol, hoping to throw up some sort of admin panel where I can let certain users perform very specific tasks with a few calls, these users not being of the super technical variety so something like saying "Just login to PHPMyAdmin and double click the cell" isn't a good idea.

    My front end builds configurations for Network gear, and is fed by the API/MySQL with tables that contain various specific things for each hardware vendor, and I want to let certain people update those things for the vendors they support. I am having to get emails and manually update the tables today and that is growing beyond me :)

    Is there anything that builds something fairly quick from existing REST sources to do CRUD with user restrictions? Doesn't have to be real custom, just would save me time from having to write something from scratch and keep the aesthetics nice with a quick turn around.

    Appreciate any insight!

    submitted by /u/netopsengineer
    [link] [comments]

    How would I approach building this JavaScript side project?

    Posted: 04 Mar 2019 03:00 PM PST

    Here's a link to the UI:

    https://0oyo583xww.codesandbox.io/

    I wanted to build something small in Vanilla JS, but I want to make sure I'm approaching this the right way.

    All I want this app to accomplish:

    • 1) User enters something they want to do at a later date
    • 2) They choose a category from the drop down (category would mimic what's in the tabbed sections)
    • 3) On clicking submit, what they typed into the input box would go under the category they selected in the drop down

    Pretty simple, right?

    I'm learning JS right now and I don't know if I need to be storing values in objects, arrays.. looping through things.. or approaching it entirely differently.

    I know what an object is, what an array and loops are.. but how I tie them together here, is what I'm not sure of.

    Would love some quick help!

    submitted by /u/jd0909
    [link] [comments]

    What sub-reddits are there for feedback on website design?

    Posted: 04 Mar 2019 02:20 PM PST

    I'm building a website, and I'm after some feedback, how do you usually go about it?

    submitted by /u/redfishUX
    [link] [comments]

    Struggling to understand how CommonJS and ECMAScript specifically tie in to JavaScript

    Posted: 04 Mar 2019 02:10 PM PST

    I'm a server side developer and have just been exploring the wealth of tools and package managers on the front-end.

    I was curious so I started poking around in the history of JavaScript and saw these two terms mentioned a lot

    • CommonJS
    • ECMAScript

    From what I understand, CommonJS is not a single piece of software but instead a standard for the language to conform to. Why was it needed? Isn't JavaScript already a language with standards?

    Secondly, I'm unsure what ECMAScript even is. The wikipedia page makes it seem like a standard that JavaScript conforms to:

    JavaScript has remained the best-known implementation of ECMAScript since the standard was first published

    What is an example of functionality that ECMAScript provides? And how does it relate to (or conflict with) CommonJS?

    A coworker told me that browsers don't even understand ECMAScript so there are transpilers that generate vanilla javascript from your ECMASCript. So can all ECMAScript really just be decomposed into vanilla JS?

    Thanks for any input! I've heard these terms but I'm still very confused by how everything fits together.

    submitted by /u/UnderwaterPenguin
    [link] [comments]

    A path to follow, a list to complete, a general direction, when working on a frontend project?

    Posted: 04 Mar 2019 10:15 AM PST

    So today, a blue monday like another, I started thinking, why does this monday feel so blue. Then I realised, I always have a path, a plan to follow, except when it comes to building a frontend website, I'm all over the place.

    I have a general todo's list with some things I need to fix, but besides that, there's so much tasks to compelete, and I feel like I'm always tackling them in no specific order. For example: head tags, contact form error messages, footer copyright, coupling controllers to the frontend, og tags, favicon, .. you know how this list goes on. My question, how do you tackle this? Is there a way to go about working in a concrete and planned way without constantly switching tasks and priorities, or even a test-driven way of doing this, looking forward to your responses.

    submitted by /u/vospit
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment