• Breaking News

    Tuesday, March 19, 2019

    Who has the fastest F1 website? A deep-dive into real-world web performance tips & gotchas web developers

    Who has the fastest F1 website? A deep-dive into real-world web performance tips & gotchas web developers


    Who has the fastest F1 website? A deep-dive into real-world web performance tips & gotchas

    Posted: 19 Mar 2019 06:40 AM PDT

    How hireable am I? (portfolio included)

    Posted: 19 Mar 2019 01:47 PM PDT

    Portfolio

    I have around 2 years experience as a front end dev and I'm currently on the job hunt. Based on my personal projects, how hireable am I? Thanks.

    submitted by /u/crazyboy867
    [link] [comments]

    #10YearChallenge — What I learned about front-end development from 12 to 22

    Posted: 19 Mar 2019 01:26 PM PDT

    30 seconds of Code

    Posted: 18 Mar 2019 11:40 PM PDT

    CSS inside framework components... when did it happen?!

    Posted: 19 Mar 2019 04:16 AM PDT

    Hello,

    I had a 1 year and a half break from being a pure Web UI Dev (css and html, maybe some js) and I am now coming back to it trying for the first time things like Vue.js, Nuxt.js and Headless CMS.

    As soon as I started to look at Nuxt.js examples, I started to find annoying CSS scattered everywhere and inside the components. All of this goes against everything was achieved until a certain point.

    I left this world on pause with a very precise way CSS is written: a big unique file generated from a series of small ones containing mixins and all sort of things sass.
    I was, in particular, using inuitcss and being very happy with it.

    My question is, when, but especially, WHY this happened? Is this a new trend? Which are the benefits? Any good article(s) I can read about? Are CSS frameworks like inuitcss being abandoned?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/DonSaro
    [link] [comments]

    HTML5 Periodical Table

    Posted: 19 Mar 2019 05:40 AM PDT

    Looking for something specific, find something posted TODAY. [Cli via nodeJS]

    Posted: 19 Mar 2019 02:03 PM PDT

    GraphQL in Depth: What, Why, and How

    Posted: 19 Mar 2019 06:30 AM PDT

    Streaming user webcam in HTML5/JS

    Posted: 19 Mar 2019 05:33 AM PDT

    I am building an app in which I want to allow users to stream their webcam and have other members of the one see their stream. Basically a bunch of users will be on a page and when one clicks the "activate stream" button, their webcam and audio will be sent to all other users, then other users have ability to take over. I have been trying to do this with getUserMedia and socket.io to no avail (can get local webcam and display, but cannot see on other devices). I see a lot about webRTC, but for this case I feel like there's another solution. Is there a way i can just load video source from a media server and have the user livestream be sent to the media server in real time? Any help would be great, thank you!

    submitted by /u/aidsman42
    [link] [comments]

    Freelance as a junior?

    Posted: 19 Mar 2019 04:32 PM PDT

    In a couple months i should be finished with the full stack JavaScript treehouse techdegree, while I search for my first full time Junior Web Dev job, I was wondering if I could do freelance work on the sites like up work or freelancer or any site that is decent, I'd aim for like 20 hours a week of billable work, I know I'd be working around 40 hours total but could only bill 20 of them, maybe around 15-20$ hr? I'm in Massachusetts. Mainly looking to make like 300-400 a week gross pay, so I could look for a fulltime job while doing that to cover expenses. Would this be realistic? Or unrealistic? Just wondering, thanks all!

    submitted by /u/Jayboii478
    [link] [comments]

    Internal website for warehouse communcation with staff - Open Source CMS recommendations?

    Posted: 19 Mar 2019 04:12 PM PDT

    My work has a few TVs set up around our warehouse that are hooked Raspberry Pi units which pull a very basic C#/HTML website off of our internal shared server. The website provides the warehouse staff with company information, event notices, fun facts, etc. It has worked well, and now we're looking to automate it more so that managers can directly contribute to the content (it all comes through me at this point). We currently have an MS SQL Server that we plan to use for our website database.

    Of the Open Source CMS options, do any jump out as ones we should or shouldn't explore?

    It seems like in most cases, if the option we would want isn't inherently part of the root set-up there are options for plug-ins and/or extensions (e.g. Drupal with SQL Server, Drag & Drop, and Content Scheduling). It seems it would be more stable to choose an option that has these built in, but I also know there's some very talented developers out there making these plug-ins; maybe that's a non-issue.

    Any help narrowing down our options would be greatly appreciated!

    Known wants:

    - SQL Server compatibility

    - Content approval

    - Content scheduling

    - WYSIWYG Editor (or some way for inexperienced contributers to create their page)

    - Drag & Drop

    - Possibly Graphs & Charts

    submitted by /u/aliqui
    [link] [comments]

    [Request] I am looking for a framework for a subscription based SAAS project with built in payment, CMS, user accounts etc...

    Posted: 19 Mar 2019 03:58 PM PDT

    I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a open-source or paid framework to help me jump start a personal project I am thinking of.

    In short I would like to sell a service where users can subscribe to a number of different sections of the site or the entire site and have the monthly billing and access controls integrated so there is little administer interaction and overhead.

    As the content is going to be pretty intensive pro-grammatically I was hoping I could spend my time developing that and not recreating the wheel with CMS / Payment / User Account Management etc...

    Strong preference to PHP as most of my work to date has been in php. I am super flexible, also willing to use a SAAS platform myself if one exists.

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/fatrob
    [link] [comments]

    Get started with Dart (Free course)

    Posted: 19 Mar 2019 12:12 PM PDT

    How does apartments.com handle their url params match?

    Posted: 19 Mar 2019 03:53 PM PDT

    If you just have one parameter, it takes you to a map based off of the city you input i.e

    https://www.apartments.com/chicago-il/

    but then they also have another view for a single param

    https://www.apartments.com/add-edit-listing/

    I am trying to do something like this with React but I don't understand how they have 1 param for each and its a completely different view

    submitted by /u/qpal123
    [link] [comments]

    Best Shopping Cart for a website?

    Posted: 19 Mar 2019 03:02 PM PDT

    Hi, I'm currently planning on upgrading a customer's site and they now want to branch into online sales and grow their small business.

    I've looked into various shopping carts out of the box solutions along with the possibility of implementing my own. I've kindve been put off implementing my own by the sheer volume of work it would take vs. the customers budget for the site; it just isn't feasible given the timeframe they want it in. I'd also be nervous about how secure it would be developed from scratch. It's also re-inventing the wheel somewhat.

    Some of the solutions I've looked into include OpenCart ( I've heard very mixed reviews, more bad than good), SnipCart and Shopify but I'm unsure which is the best to use.

    Does anyone have any advice on the best one to use?

    Thanks!

    TLDR; What's the best shopping cart out of the box solution for a small businness' E-Commerce site?

    submitted by /u/lul4746
    [link] [comments]

    I have seen some post of devs wanting to improve their visual design skills, here is a nice article to help

    Posted: 19 Mar 2019 02:53 PM PDT

    Fun and helpful comic on web/DNS

    Posted: 19 Mar 2019 02:41 PM PDT

    Made a small game using The Movie Database's API

    Posted: 19 Mar 2019 02:38 PM PDT

    I wanted to share a game I made using React and TMDb's API, which is very well documented and there are honestly so many fun things you can make using it.

    The game is called Flop or Not, and you are given a movie poster based on which you need to guess whether the movie was a box office failure (flop) or not. You can also sacrifice points to reveal the cast and plot of the movie.

    Any feedback is appreciated, hope you like it!

    Flop or Not

    submitted by /u/paidakion
    [link] [comments]

    Henry Zhu: Open Source is About One’s Soul Searching and Moving the Whole Community

    Posted: 19 Mar 2019 06:54 AM PDT

    Does anybody use git log as a resume?

    Posted: 19 Mar 2019 10:26 AM PDT

    I noticed that a lot of technical recruiters ask for a Github profile but GitHub doesn't give them much information about the candidate. The candidate may not have enough time for Github or push there only their pet-projects, which they did just for fun. However, git history contains many data of work activity: which languages, libraries and what time the candidate used, how much code they wrote in particular language, did they work in big teams or not, did they write tests or comments and so on. This is real work experience. I think dive into the git log could help to create a more topnotch CV. And it can be done automatically. A small script could go through all repositories and analyze commits. Maybe anybody has already used this approach, or I am missing something?

    submitted by /u/Vladimirsvsv7777
    [link] [comments]

    Are there any decentralized forums?

    Posted: 19 Mar 2019 02:03 PM PDT

    Are there any decentralized forums where the content is not stored in a single site but across many? What would it take to create this type of website?

    submitted by /u/growl360
    [link] [comments]

    Weird blue boxes created by margin and padding?

    Posted: 19 Mar 2019 01:58 PM PDT

    Hey, how can I get rid of these weird boxes popping up?

    https://imgur.com/a/CJya8Mg

    Code:

    Css: https://pastebin.com/e8ep209P

    Html: https://pastebin.com/2YADvK8v

    submitted by /u/glitzerglitzer
    [link] [comments]

    Projects

    Posted: 19 Mar 2019 01:58 PM PDT

    Hi I've been learning web dev for about 2 months now, I know the basics of html, css, and JavaScript. Just following tutorials. I want to start a project more likely a simple chat application. I'm wondering if this would be too advanced for a first project? I can't think of any other things to do for projects. Thanks for your inputs.

    submitted by /u/f0xhound4
    [link] [comments]

    Loading Google Adsense Ad via Ajax?

    Posted: 19 Mar 2019 01:56 PM PDT

    Hi all, thanks for taking the time to read this.

    I have a site that is heavily driven by reloading large sections of it via Ajax; however, those sections being dynamically loaded also need to have Ads on them. Can anyone point me in the right direction of how to address this? I understand why google would prevent this but it has to have come up before. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/SeanFromPA
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment