• Breaking News

    Saturday, March 2, 2019

    Using IK to make NPCs able to block from any angle

    Using IK to make NPCs able to block from any angle


    Using IK to make NPCs able to block from any angle

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 10:43 AM PST

    Portals with Unity VFX Graph (Tutorial in comments)

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 07:00 PM PST

    Posted here just over a month ago about a GameBoy RPG Maker I’ve been working on, almost ready to release and have some more to share

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 04:47 AM PST

    Back in January I released a short top down walking sim called Untitled GB Game for a games jam, it was a simultaneous release of both a Gameboy ROM and a HTML5 web app. After creating the game I started to realise the tools I'd built were not far off being in a state that potentially anyone could use to make a similar kind of game.

    The tools were initially a bit of mess to use, with multiple command line scripts here, a React web app there, and editing bits of C to expand the engine itself but the basic workflow was already in place.

    I spent the last month outside of work trying to package up what I had into something a bit more friendly and what I've got now is a stand alone application that includes all the dependencies needed to build a real GameBoy game but with no programming knowledge required. You basically make all the graphics as PNGs and the tool allows you to draw collision boundaries, hook up triggers connecting areas to each other and drop in animated characters to interact with. It works like a simple version of something like RPG Maker I suppose, though I'm leaving it open to potentially allow different game styles per scene, so maybe it's a top down JRPG in some places and a platforming game in others.

    I've just put together a small site with a video showing the application at https://www.gbstudio.dev/ and I'm probably going to be looking for alpha testers soon if anyone here is interested. Happy to answer any questions anyone has here!

    TL;DR - Made a GameBoy game maker, coming soon, trailer here https://youtu.be/9k3RPaziVcw

    submitted by /u/eldritch_holla
    [link] [comments]

    Creator of Move or Die made a sheet of button prompts for developers to use (link in comments)

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 10:11 PM PST

    When is it okay to give up on a mechanic if you can't get it to feel right?

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 10:10 AM PST

    I have a boss fight where the boss cycles through certain movement patterns. Everything works the way I thought it would and I understand the mechanics (I think), but it just doesn't ...feel right. I have tweaked variables and code for what feels like weeks. I really wanted to make this work, but at this point I feel like I am being a bit too rigid in my thinking and falling victim to the sunk cost fallacy. Does anyone else experience this, and when do you usually go back to the drawing board? I want to make my project as good as it can be, but I don't want to get to the point where I hate working on it.

    submitted by /u/a_touch_of_fey
    [link] [comments]

    Use Box2D and SDL2, compile to both native and WASM

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 09:33 AM PST

    I have made a 3D pixelart editor based on sprite stacking technique

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 12:04 PM PST

    The Best Game Design Ideas from GDC | A Summary and Analysis of Talks you Shouldn't Miss

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 10:59 AM PST

    What features constitute a good height map generator?

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 08:57 AM PST

    I am doing some research and wondered everyone's thoughts on what constitutes a good height map generator.. i.e. perlin noise is great at seamless generation but can produce repeating features.

    So far I have these features: seamless, Scalable, Detailed Generations, Repeated Features

    submitted by /u/rjsYork
    [link] [comments]

    Where can I find Groups to work together with other people who are making games just for fun in unity ?

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 09:59 AM PST

    Just want to work with some people and get experience and have fun

    submitted by /u/94d33m
    [link] [comments]

    My Leap Motion arrived today

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 11:24 AM PST

    Is the role of Game Designer too broad these days?

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 07:05 AM PST

    So, I work for a large games company. We have a lot of designers, and seeing how they work isn't how is expected.

    They are always designing new features and implementing it via Blueprint scripting, then getting it tested/iterating on it. They get input from the programmers if some logic isn't available via blueprints.

    It feels an odd divide that designers now create the entire feature set via blueprints, when this could be done by programmers in C++.

    Is this the norm in the games industry now, or is my company an odd case?

    It makes it feel like designers are almost duplicating work, as the programming team will often create stuff in code, then fully implement it in blueprints. There's a lot of overlap it seems between the two roles.

    submitted by /u/Segol
    [link] [comments]

    StarCraft pathfinding information

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 08:38 AM PST

    My google search skills were failing me so I thought I would ask here. I am looking for some information regarding the map size of Broodwar and Starcraft 2, specifically, how many path finding nodes different maps had in either game.

    It is for my final year project in university where I am investigating and implementing large scale path finding techniques but first, I need to prove that my maps can be considered large when compared to something more standard.

    submitted by /u/samualsock
    [link] [comments]

    2d sprites into 3d world in unity

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 08:14 AM PST

    i have a sprite that i have slightly placed above a 3d plane, but i cannot get the sprite to not fall through the plane when i press play.

    I have tried to play the sprite onto a "quad" as i watched a youtube video on it but i have definetley done it wrong.

    can anybody help?

    submitted by /u/JEUSMANE
    [link] [comments]

    My journey in the world of game development

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 11:33 AM PST

    Dumpster Diving Video Game - A Project I've been working on (WIP) DEVLOG #6

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 11:30 AM PST

    Hey, everyone! I posted a couple weeks ago that I'm making a video game about dumpster diving. I've been working a lot on the map and wanted to share it through a devlog (devlog #6 for the game). If you have questions or ideas please let me know! Here's a link to the video:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbWJN_nbTqE&t=11s

    submitted by /u/ChompIV
    [link] [comments]

    Unique Internship Opportunity for devs

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 11:22 AM PST

    Screenshot Saturday #422 - Gorgeous Designs

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 08:02 PM PST

    Share your progress since last time in a form of screenshots, animations and videos. Tell us all about your project and make us interested!

    The hashtag for Twitter is of course #screenshotsaturday.

    Note: Using url shorteners is discouraged as it may get you caught by Reddit's spam filter.


    Previous Screenshot Saturdays


    Bonus question: What is one part of your game that took significantly longer to make than you had planned?

    submitted by /u/Sexual_Lettuce
    [link] [comments]

    I NEED HELP WITH SPATIALOS

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 10:43 AM PST

    Hello world, I know this whole post may sound somewhat stupid, but I just set up Improbable's fps demo for unity. And I don't know what to do from there. I can't find any tutorials online and the Improbable documentation is a bit hazy. So I ask for some tips. An example I'm trying to use to teach myself how to sync stuff over the platform is a cube which teleports any rigidbody it touches to another cube with the same function. Also it has a client-based cool down to display how to keep some things running on the clients only. I've tested it and it works when I hit play in the editor and drop a cube on it. This is the code I'm using:

    using System.Collections;
    using System.Collections.Generic;
    using UnityEngine;

    public class Teleporters : MonoBehaviour
    {
    private Teleporters points;
    public GameObject point;
    private float cooldown;

    void Start() { points = FindObjectsOfType<Teleporters>(); } void FixedUpdate() { cooldown -= 0.01f; } void OnCollisionEnter(Collision col) { if(cooldown <= 0) { col.gameObject.transform.position = points[Random.Range(0, points.Length - 1)].point.transform.position; Cooldown(); } } void Cooldown() { cooldown = 20; } 

    }

    Now, all I ask, is that someone shows me how to sync the teleport system and not the cooldown.
    Thanks y'all!

    submitted by /u/Kegrathil
    [link] [comments]

    How to Finally Make Something

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 10:41 AM PST

    Steam Recommends Windows games that work on Linux computers...

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 11:09 PM PST

    Is game localization something you consider important?

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 10:25 AM PST

    Do anyone know any good material to read or watch about the topic of making fighting games?

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 10:16 AM PST

    Hey I'm trying to make a fighting game but I'm noticing there's not to many vids or things to read on the topic. I was wondering if anyone knew anything I could read or watch. Thanks in advance! 😀😀😀

    submitted by /u/Regis_Reggie
    [link] [comments]

    GameSparks Enterprise Pricing

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 10:01 AM PST

    With GameSparks new pricing, it appears fairly obvious that Amazon is now only interested in catering to larger developers who can afford their Enterprise Tier as the new $299/mo Standard Tier is pretty much useless without Matchmaking and the new usage limits are very restrictive. There's no information about Enterprise pricing on the GameSparks website. Has anyone signed up for their Enterprise Tier who would care to post an insight into what it might cost and what usage limits apply etc? I don't want to waste my time with GameSparks if I can't afford an Enterprise plan and as I haven't soft launched yet, I don't know what my CCUs or API request usage will be like.

    submitted by /u/Spud2019
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment