• Breaking News

    Thursday, March 14, 2019

    Official /r/gamedev GDC Meetup

    Official /r/gamedev GDC Meetup


    Official /r/gamedev GDC Meetup

    Posted: 13 Mar 2019 01:58 PM PDT

    Hey everyone. We're still trying to figure out the best time for a GDC meetup.

    The last time we did this was something like 5 years ago (probably this https://www.reddit.com/r/gamedev/comments/1b6269/after_gdc_rgamedev_meetup_friday_530_at_san/ thread) but it was a totally awesome time, and I think we should definitely do it again.

    If you're attending GDC, and would like to attend an /r/gamedev meetup, please vote for some time slots in this calendar: https://doodle.com/poll/u3h8dckw4dgvqw2d (Edit: Highly recommended to use the calendar view instead of the table view). Once we have enough traction on that, we'll announce the official day and time in this thread.

    Current plan is to show up and shoot the shit. If there's time maybe we can find a bar or grab some breakfast/lunch/dinner/whatever. We're open to ideas for meeting places, too.

    submitted by /u/ExpiredPopsicle
    [link] [comments]

    Recreated Persona 5's All-Out Attack using Unity!

    Posted: 14 Mar 2019 05:24 AM PDT

    Microsoft announces Game Stack a new platform for game developers with support for Nintendo Switch, PlayStation and Mobile

    Posted: 14 Mar 2019 08:40 AM PDT

    Insightful and funny analysis of large publishers (more reasons why the indie market will grow)

    Posted: 14 Mar 2019 08:17 AM PDT

    Discord Store open for submissions!

    Posted: 14 Mar 2019 08:57 AM PDT

    CC-0 Pixel Backgrounds (Download in description)

    Posted: 14 Mar 2019 06:26 AM PDT

    Steamworks SDK v1.44 - New networking APIs for developers with access to the Valve network - Better security, improved connectivity, lower latency and open source.

    Posted: 14 Mar 2019 11:46 AM PDT

    The World Design of Metroid Prime | Boss Keys

    Posted: 14 Mar 2019 09:21 AM PDT

    Trying to blow stuff up in Unity!

    Posted: 14 Mar 2019 11:37 AM PDT

    NeoAxis Engine 2019.1 Announced. NeoAxis Engine is a new versatile 3D project development environment.

    Posted: 14 Mar 2019 02:56 AM PDT

    Help me understand what the hell is going on. I have made the biggest mistake of my life. Why would anyone make an indie mobile game?

    Posted: 14 Mar 2019 11:07 AM PDT

    I feel like I must have missed the memo or something, I'm so frustrated I want to just quit. I just committed the past four years of my life, and the life savings and trust of a lot of friends, to attempting to make an over the top awesome digital version of a board game. We spent a ton of time and money polishing the heck out of it to try to impress users and get them to help us share the game. We released on Steam, Android, and iOS simultaneously. We had a successful Kickstarter, we've built groundswell at conventions for the past two years, we got every reviewer in the digital board game space excited about us. The critical, user, and press reviews have been excellent, but installs and paid conversions are a fraction of what we forecast, particularly on mobile. I estimated that a successful launch would get us a few hundred thousand installs for a free to try mobile game with good buzz, but we got less than 40k. Conversions have been great, over 15% of users have bought, but we've recouped less than 10% of our money thus far. I fear we won't be able to sustain ourselves as a studio. Is mobile dead? Or did we just do a poor job marketing? Anyone willing to share their install numbers? Thanks.

    submitted by /u/wrench04
    [link] [comments]

    Math for Game Developers - Nice walk through of the basics and newbie friendly

    Posted: 13 Mar 2019 08:45 PM PDT

    "@FactoryTownGame is the top game on Steam and [their] entire outreach to traditional press consisted of 1 email and [they] didn't even write about"

    Posted: 13 Mar 2019 06:15 PM PDT

    Witchfire - Making a Gun Come to Life

    Posted: 13 Mar 2019 06:46 PM PDT

    Am I going the wrong way?

    Posted: 14 Mar 2019 11:22 AM PDT

    Hi guys. Like a billion other posters I just want to know if I'm basically headed in the right direction getting started. I've been hesitant on posting for months now simply because highly similar questions/answers exist, but I really want help on my specific case! I've been interested in this stuff for a while, but I lack any sort of experience or know-how.

    I'm about to graduate with a physics degree in the Seattle area, so I feel like I'm a little too late to start with proper school education on game development. I've gotten several books on Unity for beginners and pixel art, and I've got Aseprite and even a little drawing tablet! I have made one pixel art thing, a bouncy purple ball, by following a tutorial. And I made a really bad version of Pong (without menus or anything fancy, it's literally just the game) with my own crappy pixel objects.

    So I feel like I've taken a tiny baby step in a direction (dunno if it's the right one). I also believe I'm in a great area for this sort of stuff - but having just moved here six months ago, I have zero connections. Any previous job experience is either entirely non-helpful or just barely counts as helpful (I did some baby-level marketing for a while).

    Literally any suggestions or encouragement would be wonderful, I just feel like I'm on an odd path and don't know where to go from here or even if I can!

    TLDR; Graduating soon in an unrelated field, have taken some tiny steps towards learning, but am not sure if I am putting myself in a good position to actually get into game development.

    submitted by /u/novariia
    [link] [comments]

    Discord new features: Empowering Developers with Community and Commerce

    Posted: 14 Mar 2019 08:34 AM PDT

    Help me with my procedural generation. What can I do to make this island generator more interesting/less jaggy?

    Posted: 13 Mar 2019 04:31 PM PDT

    How Developers Programmed in the 70's

    Posted: 14 Mar 2019 01:02 PM PDT

    Three years of CS classes and I'm no closer than when I began

    Posted: 14 Mar 2019 01:01 PM PDT

    All throughout middle and high school, there was nothing I wanted to do more in life than create video games. I've been playing them since before I could really use a controller properly, and they've been my biggest hobby ever since. In high school, I took classes using Alice (which, even at the time, I knew wasn't very representative of actual programming) and Visual Basic, which gave me a decent foundation for using variables and functions going into college as a CS major.

    I had hoped that the more CS classes I took, the closer I'd get to actually getting into game development, but three years later I'm really scared that I've wasted years of my life just to get nowhere. For the last three years, I've learned C. Not C#, not C++, just C. We did a little bit of Javascript in my first semester, but I barely remember any of it now. I'm sure some of the more general things I've learned would be useful in gamedev (like, "Structures are cool," or, "Arrays are really useful"), but I've still got got just as little knowledge about gamedev now as I did when I graduated high school (which was basically nothing). At this point I'm worried that everything I've done has been a waste, like coming to college in the first place.

    So what can I do to get closer to my goal? I don't know any language other than C, and most of my knowledge of C is purely mathematical, file manipulation, and interacting with UNIX.

    submitted by /u/Nivrap
    [link] [comments]

    How do your prototype your games?

    Posted: 14 Mar 2019 12:42 PM PDT

    Hey Reddit :)

    I made a video on the topic of prototyping your game ideas and was wondering how you go about prototyping your games.

    Video if anybody is curious https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lBr_0jmAhM

    submitted by /u/WiLD727
    [link] [comments]

    What can I do to prevent potential future updates to be less taxing?

    Posted: 14 Mar 2019 08:48 AM PDT

    Hey y'all,

    I'm your typical college student who is developing their own video game. While my project is just me and potentially one other individual, I've been a bit cautious (not overly frantic however) with potential updates if things somehow turn out the be very successful. I would not want my game to become taxing on myself or others if I were to update it in the future. I've been implementing interfaces and abstraction in my code base and attempting to make components independent or semi-independent (using interfaces when they require another component), as well as UML Diagrams.

    With that said, what can I do to make my game code manageable and not so taxing with potential future updates?

    For reference, I am building my game with MonoGame as I prefer to have complete control.

    submitted by /u/SgtPicklez
    [link] [comments]

    Grand Theft Auto Type of Game

    Posted: 14 Mar 2019 12:32 PM PDT

    I'm getting into making games with unreal engine 4 and I've always been a huge fan of GTA. I know that it takes so many people to make these games and time and money. I want to make an open world game with the same type of feel to it as maybe vice city or San Andreas. I'm not trying to recreate gta 5 or anything like that. I also was thinking about not bothering with a story and just creating goals and tasks almost like a life simulator. Do you think this is possible for one person to do?

    submitted by /u/authentic_donjohnson
    [link] [comments]

    As a first-time professional developer, do I really need to worry about an LLC for personal asset protection?

    Posted: 14 Mar 2019 08:26 AM PDT

    Following up on this post, the company liked my demo and it looks like we'll be going forward with the game development. Someone told me that I should form an LLC to avoid risk to my personal assets if I get sued. I guess the two basic questions are, am I really that likely to get sued over a small-time computer game, and would an LLC even guarantee any protection if I did? A cursory Google search indicates that it's still possible to lose personal assets if you have an LLC, and they do cost money. Since I don't know yet whether the game is actually gonna make any profit, I'm apprehensive about taking on additional expenses.

    Do most developers here have LLC's before they publish a game, and if so, have they been helpful?

    submitted by /u/fatimodev
    [link] [comments]

    How viable is a Mugen-like Steam Workshop based game?

    Posted: 14 Mar 2019 12:06 PM PDT

    This is something that has been bouncing on my head for a long while but, Why is this still not a thing?. Im currently working on a dev job and plan to keep doing it BUT I do want to try my luck in the game industry some day...and this is something that I want to see so bad that I may want to give it a try myself if noone else does, unless theres a reason why everyone else is avoiding this obvious idea, ofc.

    I thought about potential copyright issues but, then again, games like Garry's Mod and SFM have workshop support with a lot of copyrighted material in them and, as far as I know, the people behind those never got into real trouble for that (they just remove the stuff that gets DMCA'd by holders from the workshop).

    tl;dr: Is there any legal reason for this to not be a thing?. From the Technical standpoint I think It's quite achievable.

    submitted by /u/jsgnextortex
    [link] [comments]

    Advice for modeling from architectural drawings

    Posted: 14 Mar 2019 11:42 AM PDT

    Hey everyone,

    I'm in the midst of doing an art test for some arch viz in Unreal/Unity. While I'm not by any means new to game artwork or working in those engines I don't have a lot of experience in arch viz. The problem I'm running into is the kitchen cabinets in the CAD drawings supplied have zero gap between them. I'm not sure if its common practice in that field to model them that way.

    The test is to focus on the accuracy of modeling to the specified dimensions so I feel like adding a gap would not be advised. At this point, my plan is to add a slight bevel to the edges of the cabinets in order to catch some shadows.

    If anyone has experience with this, your advise would be greatly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/AlwaysIllBlood
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment