• Breaking News

    Friday, March 8, 2019

    My solo project Afterlife's shader test for underground cavern

    My solo project Afterlife's shader test for underground cavern


    My solo project Afterlife's shader test for underground cavern

    Posted: 08 Mar 2019 12:59 AM PST

    I am a literal baby, is it too late for me to get into game dev?

    Posted: 08 Mar 2019 10:10 AM PST

    I've been focusing on gross motor skills for the first few months of my life. But that means I don't have any game dev experience. Have I "missed my chance" to become a game dev?

    Has anyone else managed to get into game dev after they were already born? Any advice?

    submitted by /u/partybusiness
    [link] [comments]

    I think I'm finally happy with the colours of our 3D platformer! Took a while fighting with UE4 to get the tonemapper and post processing options

    Posted: 08 Mar 2019 11:47 AM PST

    Up Sh*t Creek: Pro Tips for Managing the Unmanageable Project

    Posted: 08 Mar 2019 09:31 AM PST

    How do you make your gameplay ‘fun’?

    Posted: 08 Mar 2019 04:55 AM PST

    This is not my first time posting here, I feel bad for everyone who has to keep up with my bs.

    Anyways, I try to think about gameplay while writing the story, but I seem to just get stuck at the gameplay part.. it's my weakness.

    I want to be a developer who makes story-heavy games, horror games in fact, but figuring out the gameplay is just where the project falls flat.

    I just.. can't seem to come up with fun gameplay, anyone who has any tips and tricks that could possibly help my case?

    submitted by /u/TalkingGuts
    [link] [comments]

    The Design Philosophy of Famous Game Designers | Design Lenses from Sid Meier and Will Wright, to Miyamoto and Kojima

    Posted: 08 Mar 2019 11:14 AM PST

    Trying to make choices only available once in Renpy.

    Posted: 08 Mar 2019 10:34 AM PST

    Basically, I have 4 choices, one of which leads to the next part of the story, three of which lead back to the choices again after being selected.

    I am wanting to make it so that if you click choice 1 once, you can't do it again after returning to the options menu, so eventually the only option you'd have left is the fourth one.

    Here's how I've written it. It seems like it should work, yet... no luck so far.

    define choice1 = False define choice2 = False define choice3 = False label start: scene tower menu: if choice1 = False: "choice 1": "You picked choice 1" $ choice1 = True jump start if choice2 = False: "Choice 2": "You picked choice 2" $ choice2 = True jump start if choice3 = False: "Choice 3": "You picked choice 3" $ choice3 = True jump start "Bed": jump restofgame 

    label restofgame: "And here is the rest of the game"

    return

    submitted by /u/Privateaccount84
    [link] [comments]

    Patch Parser (MIT) from Markdown>>BB>>TMPro

    Posted: 08 Mar 2019 10:28 AM PST

    I made a patch note parser for myself, but realized it could be useful to others:

    https://gitlab.com/dylanh724/tol-patch-parser

    Essentially, I kept manually parsing my markdown (Trello/Discourse/Discord) into both BB (Steam) and in-game (TextMeshPro). So tedious! So just a little app made in C# with .NET 4.x

    Overall, the template makes it super easy to customize it to your own needs. It's also my first "real" Regex project doing some advanced things, so I'm sure there are many ways to improve it -- don't mind my Regex newbness. Overall, it's pretty barebones. Feel free to fork n improve :)

    Screenshot: https://i.imgur.com/TCo8TuK.png

    License: MIT

    Parsing Features:

    • H1
    • H2
    • Quotes
    • Ordered Lists
    • Unordered Lists
    • Bold
    • Italics
    submitted by /u/xblade724
    [link] [comments]

    Nintendo revenue cut

    Posted: 08 Mar 2019 10:05 AM PST

    I couldn't find anywhere, does anyone know what percentage Nintendo takes if you get a game on their store(s)?

    submitted by /u/WhirlingDeath
    [link] [comments]

    How I do I code hinge joint

    Posted: 08 Mar 2019 06:15 AM PST

    I'm working on a simple 2d physics engine for learning purposes. I've been struggling for several days, not being able to figure out what branch of physics or maths I need to implement this.

    I have two particles. One particle works as a constraint and is not affected by gravity. The second one should be constrained to it, as a hinge joint. Before trying this, I started with implementation of a spring joint, which weirdly enough I found to be much easier than this. What I find hard in this case is that I don't know what "tension" force to apply to the object.

    I tried this approach. But I don't think it's correct. I first constrained the particle like this:

    if(distanceBetweenParticles != offsetDistance) particlePos += dirBetweenParticles*(distanceBetweenParticles-offsetDistance); 

    And then using Newton's second law, I calculated netto of two forces on the particle, namely gravity and tension. I gave both forces same magnitude but different directions. Tension force pointing in the direction of first particle. While I got somewhat okay result, I know this approach is not right.

    Could someone point me in the right direction, on how I actually should be doing this?

    submitted by /u/blackandwhite345210
    [link] [comments]

    Diligent Engine v.2.4.b is out and features improved shader resource reflection, improved pipeline resource layout definition, better OpenGLES3.0 support, DiligentFX module, new Render Target tutorial and more.

    Posted: 08 Mar 2019 09:56 AM PST

    Tom Francis (GunPoint, Heatsignature) Started a series called Design Talk focused on different design concept in game dev

    Posted: 07 Mar 2019 11:16 PM PST

    Should I move onto another language because of industry standards?

    Posted: 08 Mar 2019 08:14 AM PST

    I am reasonably confident with Unity and C#, having spent quite a lot of time with both, creating the game that I am currently building, but I am aware that neither C# nor unity are particularly popular with most if the game development industry.

    My question is, is it worth taking the time to move onto learning the Unreal Engine and C++ (a language which I have previously tried and hated, because I couldn't get to grips with it) because it is better for my job prospects, or should I stick it out with a language and an engine which I know well?

    Keeping in mind that I now have a better grasp of programming logic and syntax than I did when trying c++ the first time.

    Thanks guys!

    submitted by /u/Niickeh
    [link] [comments]

    Can I use Undertale Battle system?

    Posted: 08 Mar 2019 11:45 AM PST

    I am making an rpg esque game and I really like the bullet hell minigame system, so would I be able to import that system in my game?

    submitted by /u/BillGates690
    [link] [comments]

    Adding a new creature in a wasteland: Plague Hounds. Try to pray and probably run (not sure if it'll help though).

    Posted: 08 Mar 2019 11:43 AM PST

    Game Marketing Discord?

    Posted: 08 Mar 2019 11:31 AM PST

    Hi there, I couldn't find a good Discord server dedicated to game marketing so I made one. I was interested in exploring the tension between the game developers creative vision & a highly creative user community. Who is doing this well? Who isn't doing it well? What are the strategies & tactics at play in 2019 & beyond. Is marketing more central today as the games landscape becomes noisier? And direct relationships to players are becoming more important than ever? What do you think? Join the debate here: https://discord.gg/RerAXn

    submitted by /u/electricdreamland
    [link] [comments]

    Feedback Friday #330 - Smooth Gameplay

    Posted: 07 Mar 2019 08:02 PM PST

    FEEDBACK FRIDAY #330

    Well it's Friday here so lets play each others games, be nice and constructive and have fun! keep up with devs on twitter and get involved!

    Post your games/demos/builds and give each other feedback!

    Feedback Friday Rules:

    Suggestion: As a generally courtesy, you should try to check out a person's game if they have left feedback on your game. If you are leaving feedback on another person's game, it may be helpful to leave a link to your post (if you have posted your game for feedback) at the end of your comment so they can easily find your game.

    -Post a link to a playable version of your game or demo

    -Do NOT link to screenshots or videos! The emphasis of FF is on testing and feedback, not on graphics! Screenshot Saturday is the better choice for your awesome screenshots and videos!

    -Promote good feedback! Try to avoid posting one line responses like "I liked it!" because that is NOT feedback!

    -Upvote those who provide good feedback!

    -Comments using URL shorteners may get auto-removed by reddit, so we recommend not using them.

    Previous Weeks: All

    Testing services: Roast My Game (Web and Computer Games, feedback from developers and players)

    iBetaTest (iOS)

    and Indie Insights (livestream feedback)

    Promotional services: Alpha Beta Gamer (All platforms)

    submitted by /u/Sexual_Lettuce
    [link] [comments]

    Alpha test of Custom Made In-Engine Music Daw in Unity.

    Posted: 08 Mar 2019 05:22 AM PST

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLIfGkQAV90

    I don't expect a lot of people would find this interesting, but i'm proud of it so far.
    -

    Probably going to release this for free when my game is finished.

    - Song itself is 4.003 KB,
    - and Instrument clips in Memory is just Over 2MB.

    - Runs flawlessly in the game, and handles low frame-rates very well, until it gets below 10, and tempo slows down a bit.

    - Supports External volume control for individual tracks to allow Vertical Style Composition.
    - Reverb is not hard set in the audio clips but added through unity's own included reverb, so each instruments reverb is adjustable at run-time.

    -
    Things i'll be adding includes
    - Various Envelope Automation.
    - Multiple loop regions for horizontal style composition.
    - Phrase database for ease of loop regions. Like drum tracks, and arpeggiation.

    submitted by /u/OneStarOneHeart
    [link] [comments]

    Learning Unity from Scratch

    Posted: 08 Mar 2019 07:15 AM PST

    Hello, this is gonna be a little self promo-ey (sorry), but I have some questions about 2D game development.

    Context: I am making a YouTube Series documenting the learning process of Unity from absolute beginner, to making my own game in the Game Makers Toolkit Game Jam in late August. So I want to get a good foundation as quick as possible.

    Q1. What's the best way to learn Unity?

    Is it to follow along with Youtube videos, the built in tutorial in unity, or something else.

    Q2. Is this goal realistic?

    I have 1-2 hours a day to spend on this, and I was wondering if this is going to be enough to learn over the six months.

    Q3. What should aspect should I focus on first?

    Q4. Does this idea sound interesting?

    essentially would you watch this if it were a bi-weekly series.

    Q5. Any other suggestions?

    I am open to hear anything about the subject.

    If you're interested here is the first video

    submitted by /u/shermansays
    [link] [comments]

    Hey r/gamedev! What are some I.T. certifications that could help run my gamedev business?

    Posted: 08 Mar 2019 10:30 AM PST

    Hi r/gamedev,

    Are there any I.T. certifications out there that could help me run my game development business at the same time? My work is willing to help me get certs :)

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/tberryman
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment