• Breaking News

    Tuesday, March 19, 2019

    I've created a tutorial about how transforming the most crappy art into usable pixel art

    I've created a tutorial about how transforming the most crappy art into usable pixel art


    I've created a tutorial about how transforming the most crappy art into usable pixel art

    Posted: 19 Mar 2019 02:54 AM PDT

    Google Unveils Gaming Platform Stadia, A Competitor To Xbox, PlayStation And PC

    Posted: 19 Mar 2019 10:59 AM PDT

    Why Game Developers Are Talking About Unionization

    Posted: 18 Mar 2019 04:23 PM PDT

    Unity MEGACITY project (Code, assets, etc) available today (7GB)

    Posted: 19 Mar 2019 01:42 AM PDT

    Pure ECS pong in 150 lines of code (see post)

    Posted: 19 Mar 2019 12:41 AM PDT

    So, are you guys going to check Stadia? Share your thoughts.

    Posted: 19 Mar 2019 11:09 AM PDT

    How was game with such complexity as "Rollercoaster Tycoon" made in x86 assembly ?

    Posted: 19 Mar 2019 12:37 AM PDT

    Why would he do that in 1999 ? Did that affect the game design as well ?

    submitted by /u/deulamco
    [link] [comments]

    10.000+ free public domain game assets from an abandoned game

    Posted: 18 Mar 2019 06:53 PM PDT

    Becoming a game developer.

    Posted: 19 Mar 2019 07:19 AM PDT

    Hey all, I'm a 25yo programmer with experience mostly in SAP related things (ABAP, CRM & etc) but also know JS (including CSS and HTML) and a bit of C++, C#.

    Honestly, video games are my life. If I could work for a gaming company, I would but a. I've no experience in the field and b. There are no "real" video games companies where I live. Of course I would love to work for them, just for now, but they won't take me cause of lack of experience.

    I consider trying to become a lone game developer, just to see what it's like. I have plenty of ideas, in which I believe in. I'm well trained with editing sounds, music, photos and videos but can't draw at all sadly. Plus, I'm not the smartest or most enthusiastic programmer there is. I like coding but my real passion is more on the creative side - All the ideas, designs, stories, sounds... How it all fits together to create a great gaming experience.

    Seeing and reading posts here, it seems that though my passion is video games, programming one isn't a piece of cake.

    So I'm at a lost here, honestly. Just looking for some guidance/advice if possible, or even self experiences you all had.

    submitted by /u/Soraky16
    [link] [comments]

    Google GDC 2019 Gaming Announcement

    Posted: 19 Mar 2019 02:39 AM PDT

    Lots of beautiful color palettes to use for games etc.

    Posted: 18 Mar 2019 06:59 PM PDT

    Accelerating The Real-Time Ray Tracing Ecosystem: DXR For GeForce RTX and GeForce GTX

    Posted: 19 Mar 2019 07:14 AM PDT

    When using Blender or other 3d modelling software, how much polygons do you find to be too much polygons? Just asking about the limitations of modern hardware.

    Posted: 19 Mar 2019 10:10 AM PDT

    Quite new to blender modelling, just 2 months in.

    The problem I am having right now is game optimization is freaking me out right now, I am just terrified on how much polygon and geometry is too much, I look at games like resident evil 4 and think about how the heck are these games running so smoothly.

    I'm gonna admit I'm kind of paranoid at this point as every polygonal game I look at is freaking me out.

    submitted by /u/Beepwolfees
    [link] [comments]

    How to draw pixel art CHARACTER in 7 minutes EASY (Photoshop)

    Posted: 19 Mar 2019 11:34 AM PDT

    How would you make a physics based limb cutting mechanism (or even partial cutting) with squirting blood like in kill bill with Unity?

    Posted: 19 Mar 2019 09:12 AM PDT

    Title says it.

    I am clueless to how you would achieve such a result.

    For instance you have a character with set animations and puppetmaster and then having someone cut him with a katana and make him both react and lose a limb and get blood spurting (not premade but with physics).

    submitted by /u/_Rockenrolla
    [link] [comments]

    Jason Rohrer: Make fewer consumable games, more unique situation generators

    Posted: 19 Mar 2019 01:59 AM PDT

    Starting my own series on LWJGL Game Design. Want to learn how to make games of a specific genre? Let me teach you

    Posted: 18 Mar 2019 05:29 PM PDT

    Ever want to learn game design from a homeless veteran with a bizarre sense of humor?

    That's weirdly specific, but you're in luck!

    So, back in January I moved out of state for a new job with a large streaming platform. Unfortunately, that job let me go not long after I started due to them ultimately deciding to can the project I was working on. Since then, I've been on the streets.

    However, it's been getting incredibly monotonous sending in dozens of applications every week, so recently I decided until I can start full-time work again, I'll get back into game design with an interesting twist.

    So, I've started writing tutorials. However, in the interest of separating myself from the amassment of generic OpenGL/LWJGL tutorials out there, I'd be including focus on various aspects of game design. For the people interested in specific genres of games, I'll be structuring my tutorial series in a way that allow the readers to branch out into different genres of game programming.

    So, I introduce you all to my Game Design Bootcamp. As my series expands, I'll be breaking off my tutorials to cover the different ways game engines are developed for specific genres. While it's important to learn about the different applications of OpenGL as a beginner, a reader wanting to learn to make a 2D tower defense game doesn't need to read a number of tutorials about loading 3D models.

    Let me know what genres you want to see covered, and I'll include them as I begin branching out my chapters.

    submitted by /u/coffeebeancode
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a way to write a game's storyline and its branching logic before picking a game engine?

    Posted: 19 Mar 2019 10:01 AM PDT

    Something designed for a story-driven game with branching storylines, an event system (and being able to make an event call a function, for example to modify character stats), text cutscenes, and so on.

    The idea is to have a simple portable core that that could then be attached to a game engine, without having to reimplement everything in an engine-specific language.

    submitted by /u/ohnoyoudidnt41
    [link] [comments]

    Are steam trading cards still a good idea for small indies in 2019?

    Posted: 19 Mar 2019 07:42 AM PDT

    It doesn't seem like a large investment of effort, and can boost your sales numbers. Just curious what the community thinks since I have no experience with steam cards myself.

    submitted by /u/AMemoryofEternity
    [link] [comments]

    Gamasutra - Unity partners with Havok to roll out new physics systems

    Posted: 18 Mar 2019 09:22 PM PDT

    I am having trouble with the logic for 2D Platformer Sliding Collision

    Posted: 19 Mar 2019 09:34 AM PDT

    Hello

    I have been stuck on this for a past couple of days and I can not seem to get a working solution and I think it is because I can't grasp the logic behind 2D collision.

    I am using JavaFX to create my game I have platforms that are Rectangle objects and each time I call to update my Player object I create a new Rectangle with the player's x, y, width and height and then check using the .intersects method to see I have a collision.

    Up until this point everything works fine, the problem I am having is the resolution of the collision. I don't understand how to get the positional relationship between the two Rectangles. So for example, I can get directly above, so that the player can't fall through objects, but my problem comes when I have the player colliding into the side of an platform. Here's a picture of what I mean. So the player would be moving in the direction of the arrow. What I want to happen is that the player can not move right, but will still fall.

    Some code of what I have tried to do.

    // pseudo here if (player is above): velocity.y = 0 if (player is to left and moving right) or (player is to right and moving left): veolcity.x = 0 

    The problem is that it will stop the player falling as it thinks that the player is still above the object.

    EDIT SOLUTION:

    To anyone else who looks at this for future reference, I did

    if (no collision): fake move player only on x if (collision) set velocity.x = 0 fake move player only on y if (collision) set velocity.y = 0 

    Above is pseudo for my solution. By fake move, I simply just created two new Rectangles for one that would have moved in the x axis and one that would have moved in the y axis.

    submitted by /u/thonkaS
    [link] [comments]

    Blender 2.8 SHIELD tutorial for games.

    Posted: 19 Mar 2019 01:12 PM PDT

    When were Value and OpenSimplex Noise invented?

    Posted: 19 Mar 2019 01:12 PM PDT

    Gamasutra - Epic Games Store roadmap outlines cloud saves, achievements, user reviews

    Posted: 19 Mar 2019 03:22 AM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment