• Breaking News

    Friday, March 8, 2019

    How do IDEs/text editors have their own terminal embedded into them? learn programming

    How do IDEs/text editors have their own terminal embedded into them? learn programming


    How do IDEs/text editors have their own terminal embedded into them?

    Posted: 08 Mar 2019 03:38 PM PST

    How exactly does that work? How can they run system commands that otherwise only cmd and Powershell can run? I think I just lack understanding of how exactly terminals work.

    Just trying to understand how things are working on a deeper level. Any help or reading links are greatly appreciated!

    submitted by /u/Pia_mater
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for someone that can make me understand API's and how to make them.

    Posted: 08 Mar 2019 05:19 PM PST

    So I wish to one day become a front end web designer, but my course is very programming heavy and I want to understand this but it's driving me crazy. I have this assignment where I need to make an api to get data from an open data api and be able to edit and delete the data? Even if I do nothing for this assignment I will still pass the course but yeah I do want to understand it.

    Is there anyone willing to walk me through this? this is basically the api part of my assignment:

    1. API

    Look for a nice 'open data' API. It is intended that you can adjust the data of this. For this you have to build your own API yourself. You can do this with Nodejs, but you can also use PHP or Python, whichever you prefer. It is sufficient to retrieve the data from the 'open data' API when you start your own API. You can retrieve data from another API by using Request package, or via the Axios package. In the callback of the open data api you can then provide your own routes.

    After this I need to make a React App website with that data with like forms to edit the data. :D

    submitted by /u/xKatoClysm
    [link] [comments]

    How did you get your first programming job?

    Posted: 08 Mar 2019 08:31 AM PST

    I've been learning to code for a few months. Im building a few projects now. How did you get you first programming job? How long did it take you?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Pyforfeit
    [link] [comments]

    Scared of Programming

    Posted: 08 Mar 2019 10:51 PM PST

    Hey, everybody, this is my first Reddit post ever. I made this account to learn about programming. I'm 19 years old. I've been dabbling on the top layer of Computer Science, meaning I read vlogs on it and watch youtube videos about it. Same with Programming, I've done a few projects on FreeCodeCamp and have been looking into it for awhile. I need help with gaining internal motivation for programming. Every time I go on FreeCodeCamp for a projects and get stuck, I leave it alone. I want to learn, I just don't have the drive. Also- what materials do I stick with? As of now, I have CS101, Harvard CS50 and FreeCodeCamp. I don't know where to go from here, I'm an unorganized mess but I sincerely believe that I am scared of programming. Any tips on how I can get myself started and put me in together? I'd really love some advice.

    submitted by /u/mastermaia
    [link] [comments]

    Finally Clicking After YEARS?

    Posted: 08 Mar 2019 09:49 PM PST

    This is a quick post but can someone relate? I have messed around with basic front-end development for a while on and off, starting and then quitting due to either a) frustration b) distraction/boredom (prob due to frustration) Anyways this year, after many years of this on and off thing where programming felt laborious and natural...it's now coming together and the process feels much more "organic. I'm not only learning and creating faster, but now no longer need to rely on video tutorials...I read through the documentation and that in itself is often sufficient.

    Anyways, I don't do this for a living, but man does it feel good to be, for the first time...in sort of a flow where I can just run with something in my head without the countless hours of frustration and speed bumps(which of course still occur but are solved/debugged MUCH faster) Anyways, for people who have struggled for a long time just know that I didn't know if it would ever "click" but man when it did it DID.

    Good night :)

    submitted by /u/_Brian_James
    [link] [comments]

    Can someone explain exactly how db management like SQL works?

    Posted: 08 Mar 2019 10:52 AM PST

    I'm trying to learn more about databases and how to interact with them so I'm reading up docs & tutorials and sitting in lectures but I can't seem to wrap my head around what I think should be a simple concept, but I think my main question is how do you interact with a DB? Do I have to write it in SQL and have wrappers in my PHP or whatever language the server is running or like is it more I write what I want in the language and it generates the SQL for the DB? Can I just write in PHP to store the data and the rest is handled? Or like idk I'm sure my question seems all over the place so I'm hoping someone could give me a little explanation or at least point me in the right direction to learn how exactly to make & interact with databases.

    submitted by /u/frostbyte650
    [link] [comments]

    Pseudo code !

    Posted: 08 Mar 2019 11:04 PM PST

    Where and how to learn pseudo code because i didn't found a good source for learning it, and is it a thing that you "must" do when coming to solve a problem ?!

    submitted by /u/Hiwa_47
    [link] [comments]

    Advice/Books to Learn in Prison

    Posted: 08 Mar 2019 05:08 PM PST

    I hope this is allowed. I tried to google search textbook recommendations, but found that the books were mostly out of my price range. Additionally I just am not really even sure what to get! I understand that there are a lot of resources for individual languages, but are they useful if you can't practice? I know he has the tablet they allow in prison, but I don't know if he's allowed or able to code on it.

    My father is trying to learn how to program while incarcerated. He was starting his second year of some type of engineering when he broke parole. He has a patchwork of self taught skills in mathematics, computer science, and electrical repair.

    His message to me was: "Im still of course focusing on math right now, it does make the difference between a average programmer and a lead or head programmer. I still want to get a little bit of foundation in VHDL or another hardware descriptor language (thats for FPGA's CPLD's and such), so coming up with an educational plan is important. After doing online class all you really need is motivation dedication and a real textbook. "

    Any advice or recommendations are welcome! Thank you so much.

    submitted by /u/txtbook-recommends
    [link] [comments]

    Started to 'get it' yesterday

    Posted: 08 Mar 2019 06:29 AM PST

    I've been coding for about 2.5 months now, pretty regularly. I've been going to Codecademy pro classes almost daily and have almost finished one of their full courses (web development). At work I've been working on a project that involves web-API's, hosted databases, and dashboard analytics, so i've been pretty inundated for at least a month. Last night I was working through some express tutorials trying to get a better idea of how to run and manage a node server and it was coming somewhat intuitively and it was a super nice feeling (first time ever).

    I still have a long ways to go, yesterday I got caught for hours trying to figure out that you can't just store data from a call back function to a variable you actually have to send it somewhere but oh well.

    It's fun because i've been pairing everything with web-design through a few tools (XD & Webflow) and I can happily say i've learning tons in the past 3ish months.

    I'm excited to see where i'm at by the end of the year!

    submitted by /u/PgymeGorilla
    [link] [comments]

    I have a technical interview for an internship for a "Big N", can I get some advice

    Posted: 08 Mar 2019 02:07 PM PST

    I'm trying to remain anonymous as possible but I'm a computer engineering senior at a university and recently managed to pass several phone interviews for a Big N company that is not exactly for a full 100% software engineering internship, but they use python/java heavily and there is cloud computing/networking involved. It's pretty much a computer engineering internship than more of a computer science software internship but programming is a big part of it so don't quote me on that.

    Anyway, I emailed the person who will be interviewing me and he said roughly that the technical interview will not test my programming exactly, but to test my reasoning/methodology to understand testing and trouble shooting.

    I have been doing LeetCode problems and reading a highly recommended book called "Cracking the Coding Interview" but I am making this post because I want to prepare heavily for this interview but I don't know how to since it is not focused on my programming abilities.

    How can I prepare for this interview ? I suck at debugging and I guess I can start there, but the problem is that I may learn a different IDE and then they'll test me on another one. Does anyone have any idea on what to prepare for exactly ? I know this is sort of vague and I really appreciate your time. Thank you

    submitted by /u/dataStructures4Life
    [link] [comments]

    In Javascript, is a Switch statement unable to work within any form of loop?

    Posted: 08 Mar 2019 08:28 PM PST

    I am currently working in the applab environment of Code.org for a course in school, but my switch statements are not working. I am trying to put a switch statement within a setInterval loop, but when this is done it fails to execute the right code block and always just executes the first case no matter if it is true or not. This is also the case in any form of loop too, such as a for loop.

    Is this just a bug with code.org?

    submitted by /u/Techittak
    [link] [comments]

    [C] GTK+ 2: TextView widget not updating with updated text buffer?

    Posted: 08 Mar 2019 11:49 PM PST

    Hey guys, I'm writing a chat GUI using GTK+ 2, and for some reason my TextView widget isn't displaying my text buffer, even after updating it. After clicking SEND, I set the entry box text to chat, then I calledgtk_text_buffer_set_text(chatbuff1, chat, 200) in my callback function, but it didn't display what chat was set to in TextView. It stays blank as shown in the screenshot link below. I used printf to confirm that chat did indeed have the string set to it. Can someone please tell me what I'm missing? Thank you!

    Code: https://hastebin.com/uhotaxosid.c

    Screenshot: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/238727642881327105/553846377302589450/Annotation_2019-03-08_234011.png

    submitted by /u/Leanador
    [link] [comments]

    Advice on Android dev vs Web dev

    Posted: 08 Mar 2019 11:36 PM PST

    Hi all, so I started diving deeper into programming a few months back self teaching myself Java, since everyone suggests to learn one language at first. I've learned the fundamentals with OOP. I was initially thinking of getting into Android development next to start building real apps and projects, also since Java is used for android; however I've always wanted to learn web development and my plan was to learn that next and focus on that deeper - (took an introduction web development course in college with HTML, CSS, some PHP. For context, I finished college in an IT program more about servers and networking type of IT, but had intro programming courses in the first year including that web dev course. Discovered later that I was more interested in programming therefore I've been self teaching ever since I finished school and had more time recently to put more hours into this).

    The reason I first thought about learning Android dev is to simply create mobile apps at first before websites but I'm discovering now that it can be done with web development as well. Also, there are more career opportunities for JR entry level positions in web development especially in my area, compared to Android/native mobile development.

    My original plan was to create an android app or 2 first which then I would include in my job portfolio alongside a personal website and other web apps I will create. However, I'm having second thoughts and need some advice; since I have the fundamentals from learning Java, should I just dive right into web development instead as I have not started learning Android just yet? Also because web development is where I have a better chance/opportunity into getting an intership/junior position, might as well get started right away without wasting time in Android studio? Since there is a way to create mobile apps nowadays with things such as react, which is from Javascript? Sorry for the ignorance, I've only read a little about that.

    Thank you in advanced to those with advice and can help me with my dilemma.

    submitted by /u/kobejordan1
    [link] [comments]

    c++: How can I do so a sum like 1+1 instead of giving me 2 can output 11?

    Posted: 08 Mar 2019 07:13 PM PST

    I´m doing a While function wich converts decimal to binary and at the end I need to reverse it so if I do it with the little knowledge I know the variable is going to reset itself and print every loop.

    That means if the answer is 110 and I apply a reverse function is not gonna work since "1", "1", "0" are not a single variable.

    This is my progress so far

    cin>>num;

    do {;num2=num%2;num=num/2;

    if (num2!=0) {bin=1;}

    else (bin=0);

    string bino = to_string(bin);

    reverse(bino.begin(),bino.end());

    cout<<bino;

    }

    while (num>0);

    submitted by /u/xMictlan
    [link] [comments]

    Can I learn programming by solving textbook

    Posted: 08 Mar 2019 10:39 PM PST

    Everyone always suggests a personal project, but I don't really have any in mind and I'm not sure I know enough to know what I can do. I got decent Python and C++ books and I'm willing to go through the books solving the problems and hopefully after a while I get a hang of it then I can play around with the problems and add some extra constrains to create my own personal projects. Does this sound like a decent plan?

    submitted by /u/Aerothermodynamicst1
    [link] [comments]

    What's the point of git bash when cmd and Powershell can run git commands?

    Posted: 08 Mar 2019 03:04 PM PST

    I have nothing against the git bash, but I just found out that PS and cmd can run all the same commands and so I'm not seeing a point to having the git bash anymore. Is there any way in which it improves upon cmd or Powershell? Anything that only it can do? Or is the point just that it looks better and that's it?

    Sorry if this is a stupid question, I'm still learning. Any help is appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Pia_mater
    [link] [comments]

    Is Dart suitable as first language to learn programming?

    Posted: 08 Mar 2019 10:30 AM PST

    I see that Python is often advertised as a beginner friendly language, but I am not really interested in ML or datascience. I am interested in mobile app development. So I was looking at Kotlin and Swift. I then found out about hybrid native development, and rrad about Flutter, which uses Dart.

    My question, can I learn the basics of programming with Dart, or would it be better to stick to Kotlin etc.?

    submitted by /u/Saronaf
    [link] [comments]

    Trying to write a program that tells you the number of days in an inputted month. Getting "bad operand types for binary operator"? along with "first type: boolean, second type: int"?

    Posted: 08 Mar 2019 04:25 PM PST

    So the program is as mentioned above, but the thing is I have to do it without using an 'if-else' statement for each month. What I have to do instead is use boolean operators. Here is what I have so far, along with the 2 errors I'm getting.

    import java.util.Scanner; public class MonthsDays { public static void main(String[] args) { // 1,3,5,7,8,10,12 have 31 days // 4,6,9,11 have 30 days // 2 has 28 or 29 days Scanner input = new Scanner(System.in); int month; //assigning variables int days; days = 0; //initializing variable System.out.println("Enter a month in the format of 1-12: "); //prompting user to enter a month's number month = input.nextInt(); if(month == 2) System.out.println("Month has 28 or 29 days"); else if((month % 2) != 0 && (month < 8) || (month % 2) = 0 && (month > 8)){ System.out.println("Month has 31 days"); } else System.out.println("Month has 30 days"); } } 

    And here are the errors:

    MonthsDays.java:18: error: bad operand types for binary operator '||' if((month % 2) != 0 && (month < 8) || (month % 2) = 0 && (month > 8)){ ^ first type: boolean second type: int MonthsDays.java:18: error: bad operand types for binary operator '&&' if((month % 2) != 0 && (month < 8) || (month % 2) = 0 && (month > 8)){ ^ first type: int second type: boolean 2 errors 

    submitted by /u/storinoranges
    [link] [comments]

    Could I build my own personal assistant?

    Posted: 08 Mar 2019 10:22 PM PST

    Is it possible to build your own personal assistant like iron mans Jarvis from the ground up. I know nothing about programming, but is their a specific language that could help me with this. everyone says to learn to code by making something so I just thought why not make a sort of very basic A.I./personal assistant. with the idea that I could create a very basic version of it, while making it better as my knowledge grows.

    submitted by /u/diego_g1129
    [link] [comments]

    32 MIPS Pipelined

    Posted: 08 Mar 2019 06:14 PM PST

    I need help in creating a testbench in Questa Sim using verilog. I created a 32 MIPS pipeline but I don't know how to design the testbench to test all the instructions. I was able to create testbench that is able to send a clock and reset but I don't know what to do after that, here is the link to the code: https://gitlab.com/martinez8/32mipspipeline/blob/master/32%20MIP%20Pipelined

    link to the testbench:

    https://gitlab.com/martinez8/32mipspipeline/blob/master/testbench

    submitted by /u/SCE2020
    [link] [comments]

    Understanding the interface and cast in java

    Posted: 08 Mar 2019 09:58 PM PST

    I have this program :

    `public interface XeroxCopy {

    public String showSameThing(XeroxCopy copy); 

    }`

    `public class Book implements XeroxCopy{

    public String getString() { return "This book name is peace"; } public String showSameThing(XeroxCopy copy) { Book book1 = (Book)copy; return book1.getString(); } 

    }`

    `public class App {

    public static void main(String\[\] args) { Book peaceBook = new Book(); System.out.println(peaceBook.showSameThing(peaceBook)); } 

    }`

    In this method public String showSameThing(XeroxCopy copy); , the xeroxCopy refers the object of the class which implements?

    submitted by /u/pkarthicbz
    [link] [comments]

    Hello

    Posted: 08 Mar 2019 09:48 PM PST

    Hello, I've been interested in coding for a while now but have never actually got around to attempt to self teach myself. Are there any very good online courses/websites that offer very good lectures on the basics (as well as intermediate and advanced, once I get there) of coding that you people can recommend that will help me? (I'm not worried about the financial costs, as long as the lectures are good and will teach me hands on, if its very good and free then even better) I'm completely dedicated to learning how to code. Any suggestions are appreciated :) thank you.

    submitted by /u/memesfornormies
    [link] [comments]

    Modern editors for C/C++?

    Posted: 08 Mar 2019 05:20 PM PST

    I'm going to dabble in C here soon just to expand my programming knowledge, and I want to use a more or less modern editor with code completion and what not. Also I would prefer it not look like it was written in 1995, and never updated. This last part is not essential, but it would be nice. My thoughts were to use either Visual Studio, and just run my C code through C++. Or VS code. Other than that I don't know of any other editors that support C/C++. So what are my options?

    submitted by /u/Mymar
    [link] [comments]

    What are some good ways to make videos or animated GIFs directly from code and markup?

    Posted: 08 Mar 2019 09:03 PM PST

    It seems that screen recording is popular, but for certain kinds of videos that just seems unnecessary. You could generate quite a few videos at once if it was directly from code, if you wanted to.
    Since my main language is Python, could moviepy be the answer? I happen to know that you can write text on videos with it, among other things.

    submitted by /u/Septimanal
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment