• Breaking News

    Thursday, March 7, 2019

    Google Domains sent me a .dev apology email - cool, but I didn't get the domain I wanted :-( web developers

    Google Domains sent me a .dev apology email - cool, but I didn't get the domain I wanted :-( web developers


    Google Domains sent me a .dev apology email - cool, but I didn't get the domain I wanted :-(

    Posted: 07 Mar 2019 09:41 AM PST

    Building an Open Source Mixpanel Alternative. Part 2: Conversion Funnels

    Posted: 07 Mar 2019 07:46 AM PST

    Form Submission to Google Sheet in 4 minutes

    Posted: 07 Mar 2019 01:04 PM PST

    Do I need a framework for my static site?

    Posted: 07 Mar 2019 09:41 AM PST

    At work we have a seperate application for all of our static marketing pages. Right now it's just static HTML templates with some SCSS and Google Analytics js that's being transpiled and bundled with Webpack. This process has worked fine for a while but as we add more and more of these pages there has become a lot of overlap in the HTML and styling between pages, leading to a ton of copy-pasta between pages when they share similar elements. Over time these elements change slightly in how they are styled and how they are designed in markup and we've ended up with tons of variation and very little predictability which causes stress for the designer and extends development time.

    Instead of just copy-pasta'ing from page to page, I've been considering trying to build a simple component library that we can lean on as we're building new pages. Each page is entirely static so I don't need any client side features that come with an SPA or a PWA, I just want to bring down development time and make the code more organized and readable.

    I've been considering using static rendering with a lightweight framework like React so that we can start to build out a more well defined component library and maybe even eventually integrate with a CMS, but I'm wondering if that's overkill. Have any of you built something similar before? Are there technologies or techniques I should be looking into? Should I try to keep React out of it and stay as vanilla as possible? (It may also help for you to know that all of our SPA's are using Angular, so I'd be one of the only devs learning React).

    Any advice or feedback is welcomed!

    submitted by /u/jeegan_kones
    [link] [comments]

    Am I ready for a real web development job?

    Posted: 07 Mar 2019 10:30 AM PST

    Hey web developers

    I'm an apprentice web developer that started on October 5th last year with a small start up company. In total there was 5 of us (3 developers two for backend and me primarily frontend with expected training for full stack) and then 2 people managing content and social media of our clients.

    In my first few weeks I was just self teaching myself html, CSS, bootstrap and basic bits of JavaScript with some jQuery.

    I ended up becoming our primary frontend developer and reworked the entire CSS framework of our sites as all of our sites are based on a custom made template and then adapted for each customer. This was after 2 months of learning I took on this daunting task which as an apprentice with no web experience was very scary. I managed to complete it and really reduce the file sizes of our CSS and well as then introducing a tool I found online that seemed to be the norm SASS.

    Business seemed okay at the end of 2018 but in February of this year we took a massive turn. Lost our biggest client and a few others because of my bosses poor management and his terrible organisation skills. Because of this he made the other developer and content creator redundant. This has left just me and the other apprentice. We are very demotivated and feel like we are working towards nothing. I've noticed on my bosses desk as I sit next to him he is in huge debts.

    Since all this happened about two weeks ago I have been eager to find a new web development job for frontend but I am doubting my abilities. I know I can do HTML, CSS bootstrap JavaScript. I can use my initiative to solve problems it's how I've learned everything I've done for the past 6 months considering I'm supposed to be an apprentice. But I just feel my CV seems lackluster for experience as I've only been working in web development for 6 months now.

    I have started my own freelance business I'm working on developing but I need to learn more backend to really kickstart that.

    What I'm really asking for is suggestions what to do? I hate where I am right now but feel I'm stuck here. I'm currently cheap labour for my boss and he needs me as I'm the only front-end developer left. My college I'm doing my course with for the apprenticeship is terrible and hasn't taught me anything.

    I can't just quit and continue learning at home as my parents would kill me and I have bills to pay.

    Sorry for bad grammar typing on the bus home. Any advice is appreciated

    EDIT:

    Many people asking for sites I have worked on, but the issue is I have not really worked on a full site start to finish just fixed so many bugs on every site that they had live. I am really not exaggerating when I say fixing lots of bugs, so many responsive issues that I didn't understand how half of the customers hadn't called up complaining. My guess is that they just didn't check their site often. Novomotors.co.uk https://www.grcarter-motors.co.uk/ https://www.waltersmotorgroup.co.uk/ https://www.wrightsmotors.co.uk/

    EDIT 2:

    Also thought I would include my own businesses site which I have started developing. I don't have much time to do it but so far have gotten the landing page almost down (no-responsive) yet... I am just a big perfectionist when it comes to design and I am really not a designer so it takes me a long time to get things done.

    http://archlion.co.uk/

    User: Archlion-Entry12

    Pass: Archlion-Entry12

    Also I will have a https redirect on there once I finish development and remove the htaccess password.

    submitted by /u/You2Loud
    [link] [comments]

    Create animated background gradients with CSS only

    Posted: 07 Mar 2019 06:57 AM PST

    I'm enjoying this list of really inspiring design & tech talks

    Posted: 07 Mar 2019 01:03 PM PST

    Really struggling to get first full time role

    Posted: 07 Mar 2019 12:40 PM PST

    Long story short: Went to a bootcamp (in NYC, which is where I am trying to stay), had high hopes of getting a great job, had a difficult job search for 7 months, spent a lot of it interning (for free) at a friends company working on an app idea he had, got a temp job doing front end (Vue) at a sketchy startup making 22/hr that lasted 6 months. Back on the grind now and still struggling.

    It is very hard to find job listings that don't require 2+ years of production experience. The list of tech that I know seems pretty good at a glance (React/Redux, Express, Vue/Vuex, Jest, plus all the basics like HTML, CSS, and Git) but there always seems to be 5-10 technologies and frameworks jobs want that I am not proficient in (and it would be close to impossible to learn everything out there).

    Because I was working on various things for other people throughout this process, I didn't have much time to do my own projects (fixing that now) and the apps I was working on are not yet deployed, so I have nothing tangible to show.

    I just wanted to see if anyone here had any tips of things I may not have thought of on how to get through the door. I see a lot of people here saying you only need to know HTML, CSS, and a little JS to get a web dev role, but I haven't seen any job listings like this. At this point I'll almost settle for any job, even if it's not making the grand salary the bootcamps promise. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/-endjamin-
    [link] [comments]

    What are some good examples of open source projects that have positive social impact?

    Posted: 07 Mar 2019 10:26 AM PST

    I'm fleshing out an idea and I was wondering what open source projects you have found that have had (or have great potential for) positive social impact.

    submitted by /u/TheKidd
    [link] [comments]

    [ios] How can I disable bouncing and double-tap zoom without killing scrolling

    Posted: 07 Mar 2019 05:08 PM PST

    I've tried document.ontouchmove = function(event){ event.preventDefault(); }, and it works fine under ios 12, but it kills scrolling completely under ios 10. Stackoverflow suggestions tend to cover older engines, so I haven't found anything applicable there.

    I've tried html { touch-action: pan-y pinch-zoom; } to at least get rid of double-tapping, but it applied only to some elements. I have a feeling this problem is more complicated than it seems because of the need to cover various versions of webkit (and potentially other engines).

    submitted by /u/got_data
    [link] [comments]

    Creating an internship program?

    Posted: 07 Mar 2019 04:59 PM PST

    I've been asked to put together an internship position at our company. It will be a paid position so I don't have to worry about that, but I'm having a hard time figuring what would be a good experience for young developers(I'm a pretty young dev myself)

    I'd like to ask you all about your internships that you have been a part of or have created. What made it a good experience for you? What was your project? Do you think an internship helped you get a job?

    Thanks a lot I appreciate the advice.

    submitted by /u/Pand4Xpress
    [link] [comments]

    Are microservices a "must have" skill for web developers working today? Best places I can start learning how to use them?

    Posted: 07 Mar 2019 04:58 PM PST

    I've as a full-stack web developer for several years, never used microservices in a project. In the days of LAMP prowess, I never heard of them nor have been exposed to businesses using microservices or even cloud services. Today I more recently have used front-end JavaScript, and Ruby on Rails.

    I've been told that lack of experience with microservices would be a potential problem in looking for work today. Is this very true? Is it a more vital skill for professional devs today? I want to understand how microservices are used to "talk" to the rest of the application and what businesses tend to use them more so I can go apply to them. Generally, I have only worked for small-medium businesses like early startups and digital agencies.

    submitted by /u/throwies11
    [link] [comments]

    VPS or stay with shared

    Posted: 07 Mar 2019 04:53 PM PST

    I have been on a shared host for close to a year now, the performance and uptime at the beginning was great, but since November the uptime has been poor. Daily I have to enter the live chat to either get the server rebooted or there are firewall issues where my shared server is blocking certain countries, this a big problem as the site is for my small business.

    The host I am with is EUKHost on their shared plan. The VPS significantly costs more for me so I'm unsure if it's the best route to take.

    I am unsure what route to take here, either go with a different shared host, or try a VPS. I don't have great knowledge with servers, and ideally I won't need to keep messing with it to ensure everything is fine.

    Traffic to my site is around 6k users per month with around 60k page views. What would you suggest as I am really unsure currently?

    submitted by /u/Ninja_mistic
    [link] [comments]

    Good read by Craft CMS developer Matt Stein

    Posted: 07 Mar 2019 07:46 AM PST

    We had a guest post by Craft developer Matt Stein on how and why he built a Snipcart plugin for Craft Commerce. Here's the link: https://snipcart.com/blog/craft-cms-ecommerce-plugin

    Full transparency: I work at Snipcart and this was a guest post. BUT I wanted to give Matt (who doesn't work for us) a shoutout for 2 reasons:

    1. It was a really well written post and our whole team appreciated the technical aspects of it
    2. His documentation is really on point and he deserves credit for that

    Anyways, if you've ever been interested in Craft CMS it's a cool read

    submitted by /u/NThompson_
    [link] [comments]

    How do you leverage browser caching of static assets?

    Posted: 07 Mar 2019 04:18 PM PST

    This is usually one of the top recommendations when I run any site through webpagetest.org.

    I've googled around to try to figure it out and even made a change to my htaccess file that I thought was supposed to fix it but it didn't.

    What exactly is the recommendation getting at and how do I solve this problem?

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/noobdontshoot
    [link] [comments]

    HTML Form Date Field - Post Day, Month, Year individually

    Posted: 07 Mar 2019 04:12 PM PST

    I have a client that needs a booking widget which is looking for a post of day, month, year individually. I am wondering if there is any easy way to use a html date picker and break out the day, month, year into separate fields and then post them.

    This is probably really simple but I haven't drank enough coffee today.

    submitted by /u/bloomt1990
    [link] [comments]

    Why use virtualenv and not conda environment during python app deployment?

    Posted: 07 Mar 2019 03:40 PM PST

    I am trying to deploy my Django app in AWS Ubuntu server and all the tutorials use virtualenv during deployment. My local Django app is developed in conda. Is there a particular reason why virtualenv should be used but not conda? I can't seem to set up the virtualenv in the Python version I need and I'm frustrated and want to go back to using conda

    submitted by /u/jesseparks13
    [link] [comments]

    Even though I have been making websites for over a year now, I still don't feel like they look professional...

    Posted: 07 Mar 2019 09:20 AM PST

    Hey guys, just a random thought I had the other day as I was working on my closing assignment for web class. Having planned the site out in Xd beforehand, and now looking at the artboards, I just don't feel the site looks professional enough. Especially looking at other sites you guys make / publish here, it looks nothing like those. What am I doing wrong?

    P.S. artboard link for reference: https://imgur.com/z1aHNjD

    submitted by /u/icyfoxlol
    [link] [comments]

    Worth building a custom cms?

    Posted: 07 Mar 2019 03:11 PM PST

    Hi everyone. One dilemma I've realized when it comes to building static front end websites that include features such as a "portfolio page", is that it becomes tough for non technical clients to update the portfolio page as their portfolio grows in size. So I thought that perhaps building a custom CMS template for smaller sites that only require updating small sections of the website such as "add a project". Is it worth trying to build a cms from scratch? I've also noticed most tutorials online are built using PHP. Is there a particular reason people dont use Node or Express? I ask this question because I feel like mainstream CMS are just excessively complicated for some clients. I really appreciate your thoughts on this.

    submitted by /u/zakir112
    [link] [comments]

    Legality of hosting images of children (13+) in the UK

    Posted: 07 Mar 2019 02:09 AM PST

    Hi all!

    One of the new projects we're working on would allow users to take a photo of themselves, add some effects, and then email it to themselves. To this extent we may need to host the image on the server temporarily so we can trigger this email.

    Are there any legal things we should keep in mind when doing this? Is it enough to get the user to agree to the privacy policy (which states the image will be stored on the server temporarily until the email is sent) or do we need to ensure its fully encrypted throughout the process, as it could contain an image of a child?

    For reference I'm based in the UK, and this would only be available in the UK.

    submitted by /u/TheAngelsCry
    [link] [comments]

    A tool to find and test accessible colors

    Posted: 07 Mar 2019 08:53 AM PST

    Personal Feedback on my website?

    Posted: 07 Mar 2019 03:29 AM PST

    Hey, I am trying to build a personal portfolio. I just would like to have some personal feedback and let me know if there are any improvements that I could make.

    Link: https://aff.dev/

    • I am planning to add some SEO
    • Improve my semantic HTML. Been a bit lazy, and just overused div tags everywhere
    • And hoping to create a simple CRUD operation to manage all my contents.

    submitted by /u/unknownnature
    [link] [comments]

    Can I track how much data is being transferred on Chrome while I'm browsing the web?

    Posted: 07 Mar 2019 02:42 PM PST

    I'm interested in being able to programmatically monitor how much data Chrome is transferring when I am browsing the web. I know that I can inspect a page, go to the Network tab and see the amount of data transferred while the inspector tool is open, but does anyone of a way to track that information across tabs without having the inspector tool always open?

    submitted by /u/derApfel44
    [link] [comments]

    Stop stressing yourself to death

    Posted: 07 Mar 2019 10:44 AM PST

    No comments:

    Post a Comment