• Breaking News

    Wednesday, March 13, 2019

    Godot 3.1 is out, improving usability and features

    Godot 3.1 is out, improving usability and features


    Godot 3.1 is out, improving usability and features

    Posted: 13 Mar 2019 09:46 AM PDT

    Here is the procedural building generator running with the High definition rendering pipeline which I know how it looks ! (See comments for link to videos about this)

    Posted: 12 Mar 2019 08:08 PM PDT

    One of my friends tried to make fortnite in two months, he documented his process along the way

    Posted: 12 Mar 2019 07:49 PM PDT

    Suggested methods for building a modern browser-based, text-based MUD from scratch? Something like Arctic MUD in a browser, or A Dark Room but multiplayer. Is JS and node.js my best bet?

    Posted: 13 Mar 2019 06:55 AM PDT

    If you don't know the examples I'm referring to, I basically mean you go to the URL, enter your username and see something like "You're standing in cave. Do you want to go NESW?" But massively multiplayer so that other users from around the world can also explore the cave all together? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/ZedZeroth
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a good endless procedural level tutorial out there ?

    Posted: 13 Mar 2019 05:59 AM PDT

    Hey guys !

    Did you heard about some good tutorials about procedural generation and endless levels ?

    I'd like to build a mobile game with endless levels such as temple run or twisty road or Jetpack Joyride...

    Thanks in advance !

    submitted by /u/garageavoiture
    [link] [comments]

    Game development Year 1

    Posted: 13 Mar 2019 11:54 AM PDT

    Hey everyone, I am starting Year 1 game development in September at an university. I have been out of education for a good 5 years, of course some of the knowledge faded (especially math, which is going to be essential).
    My first year subjects are going to be:

    • Mathematics for Computer Games
    • Introduction to Games Design
    • Introduction to Games Programming
    • Fundamentals of Computing
    • Fundamentals of 3D Graphics

    Can someone please help me what kind of math is essential to revise for me, or if there is a webpage/book where I can get myself up to date with the topics? I would be happy with any kind of help.

    submitted by /u/notmyday22
    [link] [comments]

    Unity3d Graphics with Unity3d LWRP and creating a vertex displacement shader (Tutorial in comments)

    Posted: 13 Mar 2019 11:16 AM PDT

    How to build a player base for a strictly multiplayer indie game?

    Posted: 13 Mar 2019 08:59 AM PDT

    I've been building a web game ( https://redka.games/mages ) for close to a year now and it's been online for a few months available for testing. It's targeted towards experienced players that know their way around camera control and movement in fast paced games.

    I've been struggling to find ways to find players willing to devote their time to play the game.

    I've had some success with posting the game in a io-games website but it lasted only about 1-2 days.

    Do you have tips on how to build a community around the game or how to promote strictly multiplayer games that aren't casual? The game requires a mouse and an understanding of spell based mechanics so there's little traction among io games.

    submitted by /u/_redka
    [link] [comments]

    How did games like Tony Hawk design Gaps?

    Posted: 13 Mar 2019 08:40 AM PDT

    Sorry if this is against the rules! I've dabbled in gamedev a bit and made some silly turnbased terminal RPGs but I'm always interested, as a programmer, in how certain mechanics in games were done.

    I'm not sure if this is super simple or what, but I have no idea how this was done. Anyone have any ideas or actual info on the development?

    If you don't know, in action sports games like the Tony Hawk series, a gap was a jump over something, like leaping a gap between two parallel quarter pipes or grinding from one rail and leaping to a grind on another

    submitted by /u/orsini1138
    [link] [comments]

    Working on a distortion shader in Unity

    Posted: 12 Mar 2019 01:26 PM PDT

    Friends?

    Posted: 12 Mar 2019 10:03 PM PDT

    So this is embarrassing to write.

    I have no friends in gamedev. :(

    Do you have friends? Are they skilled individuals who you talk to, get feedback from, and collab with. Or do you mostly get people way below your skill level bothering you? I hope this doesn't come across as a troll post as I'm dead serious. I've been in gamedev for 4 years and have zero fucking friends... Like, I've met a handful of people through jams, revshares, and reddit. But we never become friends. The jammers were either immature, had inadequate work ethic, or we just didn't connect after (minus adding eachother on discord and then never talking). Anyone I meet through a revshare was just excited by an idea and then did zero work. We maybe shared a few jokes and that's it. I always made a point to work hard, make jokes, and share important resources, but it felt like I was pissing in the wind with all of them.

    For the more social-savvy people: how do you do it? Where? Was it your skill that attracted people? A blog, website, or YT channel? I honestly feel like there aren't many ppl making friends in gamedev. We all just sit under our collective rocks and do our own thing.

    submitted by /u/lastMinuteIdea
    [link] [comments]

    Former Halo 3 BR Concept

    Posted: 13 Mar 2019 11:35 AM PDT

    Some questions I hooe that can be answered!

    Posted: 13 Mar 2019 11:33 AM PDT

    Hello, i'm new here and hope to build my pc soon and finally start on doing something with my biggest dream, which is creating my own game, horror specifically.

    I started back when I was younger with amnesia I loved playing it so I even made my own stuff there withthe given tool, like I was so young but just because I loved doing it I knew almost the whole Hpl2 language, I eventually worked on a VERY big mod with loads of maps and all of that, I did all alone.

    So after the pc 'crash' which fucked up my whole pc, even the mod I jinda gave up because it was a crap pc anyway and I just started going on with life, now i'm here thinking about creating my own games more and more and my mind is about to explode anytime soon because of the millions of idea's I got.

    Sorry for that story above, just wanted to tell where I exactly came from.

    Now my first question is, what type of Pc should I build? I want to work on a Horror first person videogame, How much should I build the pc for, I'm looking at around €1000-1200 range but idk if that's unneeded/too low, could anyone help me out on that?

    (Also, I am not asking for a build, It would be great if you'd give one but that question should be primarily asked in the buildmepc subreddit, i'm just asking around what price tag it should be!)

    And my second question is what is the 'best' music producing software on the internet for games specifically? I know about Fl studio's but there probably is another one that's perhaps better?

    And lastly, What program is the best for the complexity of textures? So basically if I have a cobble stone texture, what program would let me 'import' the cobalt stone therr and let me take it out with depth, etc.

    I forgot what the names were but I remember I had a program where if you'd put a texture in you could add stuff like 'depth' or 'the light it reflects' etc and then export it with like 3 files, I'm very sorry for the poor explanation I completely forgot the names for those things because it's been so many years.

    submitted by /u/Tornado_Hunter24
    [link] [comments]

    Where is the best place to get CC0 classical music recordings?

    Posted: 13 Mar 2019 11:16 AM PDT

    Depending on the game, sometimes some classical music is a good addition to have.

    There are lots of classical music recordings out there and lots of artists. Is there a place where you can get lots of CC0 classical music?

    submitted by /u/diskmammoth
    [link] [comments]

    100 Grants to Fund your Business

    Posted: 13 Mar 2019 10:44 AM PDT

    Hey r/gamedev

    Here is a list of +100 grants to help fund your VR or Game. Hope someone here can find this useful.

    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Y3P1G13z3SbwN5aZgDgGzybmGsS0OpQEJ8XOtkri5aU/edit#gid=651327357

    Also I'm doing an AMA next monday on r/IAMA which I'll be crossposting here. I get to sit with the man who invested in me Stephen Croomer and we will do a Q & A Session on the VR industry and an insiders perspective on raising funds for a startup. You get to hear from my side (the startup) and Stephen's side (the investor).

    submitted by /u/sam_admix
    [link] [comments]

    Looking into Spine PRO. Any comments on the capability of Spine PRO meshes, constraints, etc with Unity, especially for platformers/metroidvanias? (Not planning to go mobile)

    Posted: 13 Mar 2019 09:22 AM PDT

    Currently using Spine ESS, but looking to upgrade to Spine PRO for the mesh, clipping, etc to help bring that extra sense of life to my animations. It seems a lot of people use this for mobile games, having only 1-5 sprites on the screen at a time. Was wondering if anyone had issues with or comments about memory limitations, animation transfers, etc for games such as platformers, adventure, metroidvania before I consider upgrading.

    submitted by /u/iValkyrie
    [link] [comments]

    High school career path job interview questions.

    Posted: 13 Mar 2019 09:19 AM PDT

    Howdy partners, I'm trying to graduate high school over here and I need your help.

    As part of my graduation requirements, I'm supposed to interview someone who is working in the field I'm interested in pursuing. I want to become an indie game developer, so I have a couple of questions for you guys working in the field currently, and have released a game or two . (I already got the go ahead for using a forum post as an interview, don't worry.)

    The questions are; 1.What's the title of your first released game? link? 2. How well do you feel like your game did? Was it more or less then you expected? 3. Did you use any system to manage the project? 4. What advice would you have given yourself when you started? 5. What was your biggest mistake, and what was the biggest thing you got right?

    Answering any or all of these questions would be super helpful, and you're welcome to come up with your own. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/supameatboi
    [link] [comments]

    I just released my first game! It's a multiplayer browser-based voxel game

    Posted: 13 Mar 2019 08:27 AM PDT

    link: https://voxelplace.com/

    Last year I quit working as a freelance game artist to learn programming full-time. Before that I did have extensive experience with blueprints in UE4. I've released a couple of websites(https://texture.ninja/) and some other projects since then. I started working on this game about 7 weeks ago. Obviously this isn't a fully polished game but it's an MVP.

    My original intent was to have a mix of Minecraft's creative mode and r/place. Anyone can play without signing up. There is a store where you can unlock new blocks to place and in the future there might be player skins.

    The world size is currently 512x512. But if that isn't enough it can easily be increased.

    There are still some performance issues. Especially for Firefox. I also haven't done any work to support mobile devices. But it should, in theory, be possible to play this on mobile in the future. There are still some bugs and my server might crash so please be patient.

    I deliberately didn't add Google analytics, Google/ Facebook authentication or any other external scripts. I don't like the direction these companies are heading and I value my users' privacy.

    The game is currently under 250KB, most of which is Three.js and 2 sprite sheets (1 for textures and 1 for thumbnails).

    All textures were made procedurally with Substance Designer. The thumbnails are also rendered using Substance.
    I'm hoping to include some models in the future as well.

    The client is made with Three.js, Typescript and Webpack. I tried to limit the amount of libraries I used. Networking is done with standard websockets and some http requests.

    The store is a separate react app.

    The backend server is coded in Golang and I'm using PostgreSQL for the database.
    This is my first time using Go. It would have been easier to use NodeJS but I suspect it was worth the time investment to learn Go for the performance benefits.

    Let me know what you think. If anyone wants more information on how I built this I'd be happy to expand on it.

    Here are 2 guides that really helped me out:

    https://www.seedofandromeda.com/blogs/29-fast-flood-fill-lighting-in-a-blocky-voxel-game-pt-1

    https://www.seedofandromeda.com/blogs/30-fast-flood-fill-lighting-in-a-blocky-voxel-game-pt-2

    https://0fps.net/category/programming/voxels/

    *note: this post was briefly up last week but I deleted it after 10 minutes because I had some serious server bugs, which are hopefully fixed now.

    submitted by /u/Joost3d
    [link] [comments]

    Comprehensive list of Types/Elements

    Posted: 13 Mar 2019 07:53 AM PDT

    I intend this to be a resource for anyone making a type system as well as an exercise in consolidation so we can get everything in one place.

    I'll share some ideas before I post what I've found. Feel free to add concepts types can be based on or games that feature a type/element system.

    damage types tend to come in opposites - if you can identify an axis you can make two types out of it

    fire vs ice / heat vs cold

    acid vs electric / excess protons vs excess electrons

    light vs darkness / necrotic vs radiant / good vs evil

    many can be consolidated:

    normal type, physical damage, untyped, neutral

    ground, rock, earth

    poison, nature, grass, bug,

    some are based on senses:

    sound/light/ - touch(anything physical/weapons)

    Some are based on traditional elements:

    earth, water, fire, air (+derivatives)

    List:

    fire, explosion, blast

    water,

    ice,

    acid,

    lightning, electric,

    radiant, bless

    necrotic, dark, shadow, curse

    psychic, ghost, spirit, mind, psychokinesis

    poison, insect,

    grass, nature, plant

    sound,

    force, normal, kinetic, magnetic (piercing/slashing/bludgeoning, fighting)

    air, flying, wind, gas

    earth, rock, ground

    metal, steel

    dragon?

    energy?

    nuclear/radioactive?

    sources:

    Pokemon: Normal Fire Fighting Water Flying Grass Poison Electric Ground Psychic Rock Ice Bug Dragon Ghost Dark Steel Fairy

    Yugioh: Dark, Divine, Earth, Fire, Light, Water, Wind.

    Avatar: earth, water, fire, air

    Dnd: Acid. Bludgeoning. Cold. Fire. Force. Lightning. Necrotic. Piercing. Poison. Psychic. Radiant. Slashing. Thunder.

    unincorporated:

    DQMJ: Slime Dragon Nature Beast Material Demon Undead

    Yokai watch: Brave Mysterious Tough Charming Heartful Shady Eerie Slippery Wicked Enma Wandroid

    submitted by /u/potatotate_spudlord
    [link] [comments]

    New To Unity

    Posted: 13 Mar 2019 07:29 AM PDT

    Hello! Im new to Game Development, I only work in art. Recently i Decided to try to make my own game, but Im not very good at programming. Would Unity be my best bet? or should i use a different game engine like GM, UE, or even something like construct? And what would be my best approach?

    submitted by /u/Phoofi
    [link] [comments]

    Unreal Engine 4.22 or Unity 2019 : Experienced Developers

    Posted: 13 Mar 2019 04:44 AM PDT

    Soon will be the release of Unreal 4.22 and Unity 2019. I want to know if can Unreal have the same performance as Unity on mobile platforms? Are Unreal so far from Unity on PC and Console performance? Can Unity ECS beat the performance of Unreal?

    I am 5 years epxerienced developer in C# WPF, so i need the opinion of epxerienced developers on both engines.

    submitted by /u/iurii_v12
    [link] [comments]

    Publishing by IndieGala

    Posted: 13 Mar 2019 04:39 AM PDT

    Hello everyone, I'm about to release my first game on Steam next week, I'm very excited !

    I started to contact last week the main platforms that sell Steam games to display my game there as well and I discovered during the processus that IndieGala is publishing some developers. I contacted them but didn't received answer at the moment.

    Does someone know anything about that or have contacts with the developers who already made games with them?

    submitted by /u/kaiirin
    [link] [comments]

    Logo and sprite for my game

    Posted: 13 Mar 2019 03:51 AM PDT

    Hi 👋 I want to make a logo for my game and I don't have any experience in graphics design and i want open source easy to use software and i want to make sprite with it

    I used krita and found it difficult to use

    submitted by /u/realallihyani
    [link] [comments]

    Copyright’s Owners Must Register Before Enforcing Their Rights. An Enforcement of an Age Old Rule, and the End of a Circuit Split.

    Posted: 12 Mar 2019 02:34 PM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment