• Breaking News

    Wednesday, March 20, 2019

    Exposing properties through a Shader and then accessing them through a UI script (See Tutorial in comments)

    Exposing properties through a Shader and then accessing them through a UI script (See Tutorial in comments)


    Exposing properties through a Shader and then accessing them through a UI script (See Tutorial in comments)

    Posted: 20 Mar 2019 07:18 AM PDT

    This happened after forgetting to include a single line of code. The results were... interesting.

    Posted: 20 Mar 2019 07:45 AM PDT

    I'm an Attorney who provides legal services to Video Game Developers and Publishers, Ask Me Anything GDC edition!

    Posted: 20 Mar 2019 06:50 AM PDT

    Hello r/gamedev its the third Wednesday of the month and the second day of GDC, that means its time for our bi-weekly AMA. For all you first timers, my name is Zac Rich I am the founding partner of Press Start Legal, a law firm that provides legal services for the Interactive Entertainment Industry. We represent Game Devs, publishers, e-sports players and teams, content creators and social media influencers, tech startups, online and e-commerce businesses. My practice areas include marketing and advertising law, privacy law, intellectual property (trademarks and copyrights) and business law.

    If you have a question that may require you to share some confidential information regarding you or your company this is not the place to ask it. I strong encourage you send me an e-mail to [Zac@PressStartLegal.com](mailto:Zac@PressStartLegal.com). If you're not sure, better to send the e-mail than to ask it in a public place like this AMA.

    To learn more about my firm please visit our website. Want to connect with us? Follow us on Social Media!

    Twitter Instagram

    Last month I appeared on the fantastic game dev podcast, Game Dev Unchained, I spoke with the team about the legal insights to the game development business. Check that out Here.

    Our new Blog Post on the New Copyright Right Ruling in the Supreme Court.

    The Office is Open So Ask me Anything! Please share this post with your friends, and colleagues in the industry!

    Disclaimer: Nothing in this post should be considered legal advice, everything posted here is my general opinion based on current laws in the United States as facts of your case may vary and effect the outcome greatly. This post does not create an Attorney-Client relationship, and as such, I strongly advise you do not post anything confidential. If you have a question you don't feel comfortable asking here, please direct message me or we can set up a free consultation, just send me an E-mail to [Zac@PressStartLegal.com](mailto:Zac@PressStartLegal.com)

    submitted by /u/PressStartLegal
    [link] [comments]

    I keep all the reviews of my game printed next to my work desk as motivation, How do you guys stay motivated?

    Posted: 20 Mar 2019 05:54 AM PDT

    Can a neural network beat you on a game of rock, paper and scissors by predicting your next move? That's what my ladt experiment is trying to do. Open source code with MIT license.

    Posted: 19 Mar 2019 06:25 PM PDT

    Marketing cost

    Posted: 20 Mar 2019 11:51 AM PDT

    Hello there,

    I'm planning to make an indie game later this year/early next year and I'm currently trying to calculate the budget.

    Since the market is over-saturated with indie games (and I don't really believe in the 0$ marketing budget) I should hire a marketer or find some kind of marketing team that provide their services.

    I've done some research on the internet and I found some useful blog posts,analysis and other reddit posts.
    But I also wanted to get some other people's estimation/suggestions.

    Anyway, my question is how much does a marketer needs in order to market the game and what extra costs I might need to take into consideration(website hosting, youtube/twitch promotion etc)?

    Thanks for your time,
    Have a nice day!

    P.S. Tips and suggestions are welcome as well!

    submitted by /u/TheOriginalLaZeus
    [link] [comments]

    Bad experience with letting a teammate go

    Posted: 19 Mar 2019 03:31 PM PDT

    So I own and run an indie studio and I recently had to tell one of my employees that it wasn't working out because he wasn't participating. It seemed to go smoothly enough, he said understood b/c he really wasn't participating and I thought that was that. Today I got a message from him accusing me of letting him go for personal reasons and basically trying to make me the "bad guy," in this situation. I let him go for more than just his lack of participation, I let him go because he was rude and hard to work with in general and appeared to be using private information shared with him for the purpose of development for his own personal gain. Technically, he broke our contract and left me with no choice. I came back at him pretty bluntly and told him exactly why I'd let him go, that it wasn't personal, it was for the sake of our team functioning as the well-oiled machine it was before he joined and due to the fact that I couldn't trust him. Now I'm all pissed off about it and mad that he's taking up room in my head. Do any of you have any experience with letting someone go and it not going as smoothly as you'd hoped? I'd love to hear how some of you may have handled situations like this. I think one definitely has to grow a pretty thick skin to be the "boss."

    submitted by /u/samwise0311
    [link] [comments]

    Epic’s free Online Services launch for all game developers

    Posted: 20 Mar 2019 12:21 PM PDT

    Stadia's effect on indie game developers

    Posted: 20 Mar 2019 04:04 AM PDT

    Hello everyone,

    It seems that Stadia is a very promising gaming service and might be a dream come true for many gamers. But what about the indie game developers? Will they be able to make profit by selling their games there? Or it will empower more the AAA games industry over them?

    Regards.

    submitted by /u/Ghassanf
    [link] [comments]

    Loving the free FX assets Epic has released!

    Posted: 20 Mar 2019 12:02 PM PDT

    Ubisoft Graduate Program 2019

    Posted: 20 Mar 2019 12:02 PM PDT

    Anyone else still waiting for a response to your application or have you already received some sort of response from Ubisoft?

    submitted by /u/World-of-Games
    [link] [comments]

    Google Sheets Map Making app for my puzzle game that got out of hand

    Posted: 20 Mar 2019 11:08 AM PDT

    Media Training for Humans by Mode7games

    Posted: 20 Mar 2019 10:48 AM PDT

    The Masterpiece Graphic Microcode behind the Nintendo 64's "Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine" and "Star Wars Episode I: Battle for Naboo"

    Posted: 20 Mar 2019 12:29 PM PDT

    Solo porgrammer (hobbyist) not knowing how to get decent assets

    Posted: 20 Mar 2019 12:20 PM PDT

    I'm currently working on a small project (for fun). I recently hit a point where it is difficult for me to continue without having some good assets. That mainly contains some lowpoly models and textures. I have some experience in pixel-art and basic modeling but further than that I'm really not that good at doing art.

    So for me as a hobbyist with a limited budget, what would you recommend as a good way to get decent assets?

    Maybe you know of some tips and tricks to make some simple assets myself, or you know of a platform where assets are shared in a creative commons type style. Or something entirely different :)

    Have a nice day!

    *of course, it should be 'programmer' and not 'porgrammer' in the title :)

    submitted by /u/p_ace
    [link] [comments]

    Our game GDC2018 vs GDC2019. It has been a long way, year of development and Early Access release since then. Any other GDC progress pics/gifs out there?

    Posted: 20 Mar 2019 12:15 PM PDT

    Best Java ebook/book for board game development ?!

    Posted: 20 Mar 2019 12:06 PM PDT

    Hi there guys!

    I do have a uni project which involves making a Java Board game as a team project.

    The main problem is that, I've never ever programmed in Java although I know C and basics in Python.

    The project involves UML, GUI and so on but I need somewhere where to start learning considering the fact that I got few months of time.

    AS for the game, it's a game similar to monopoly, but with no dice. Only using cards. If anyone needs more info about the game, please PM me or suggest me a book. I just need a book that has to do with board games. Thank you!!

    submitted by /u/elx0r
    [link] [comments]

    Gladiabots won the "Excellence in Innovation" price at the International Mobile Gaming Awards!

    Posted: 20 Mar 2019 12:00 PM PDT

    Licensing a web game to another website

    Posted: 20 Mar 2019 11:47 AM PDT

    Hi,

    Today our company got a request to license our game (which is available on web and mobile platforms) for a website. But we never considered that as possible and now I have no idea how to charge for this, so here I am looking for all possible information in the internet and now asking you guys here in r/gamedev as well haha

    Any insights on what variables to consider when charging for a license? Or some guidance on how to proceed?

    I could give more information about the game if needed, but I thought it would be more useful for others if it was general advice.

    submitted by /u/combostudios
    [link] [comments]

    Voice dialogues in unity

    Posted: 20 Mar 2019 11:13 AM PDT

    Manchester UK gamedev meetup

    Posted: 20 Mar 2019 07:10 AM PDT

    Hey everyone! Don't know if its cool to post about gamedev meetups and events in here if not cool just thought I'd give it a shot.

    There's a large gamedev meetup happening in Manchester UK on March 26th and just wanted to see if there are any other Manchester devs here who will be coming along? Would be great to network and meetup with other devs in the area.

    Sorry these posts are not allowed new here!

    submitted by /u/SureFruit9
    [link] [comments]

    How did you get/make Sound Effects for your Game?

    Posted: 20 Mar 2019 10:45 AM PDT

    How did you make/find your sounds for your game? I look online for sound effects but I can't find many high quality ones. I am not talking about music I am mainly talking about things like ambient noise, (it's a dungeon exploring game if that helps), creature noises, steps, sword sounds, magic conjugation, etc. If you could point me in the direction of programs or tutorials that can help me make them or online resources that I can download sound effects from that would really help me out. Thank you very much!

    submitted by /u/CGiFrog
    [link] [comments]

    Searching a website a saw in a comment for animations

    Posted: 20 Mar 2019 10:13 AM PDT

    Hello,

    I remember seeing a comment some time ago that talked about Spine and the person mentioned a website. If I recall correctly, the website starts with the letter f, and you can create an account and I think it's for animating with skeletal. They mentioned this website was used along Spine to create animations in a game. Thank you

    submitted by /u/Rawbringer
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment