• Breaking News

    Monday, March 11, 2019

    Created THIS simple page to never have to google it again :) (Vertical center in css) web developers

    Created THIS simple page to never have to google it again :) (Vertical center in css) web developers


    Created THIS simple page to never have to google it again :) (Vertical center in css)

    Posted: 11 Mar 2019 04:08 AM PDT

    I built an open-source Slack skin for Reddit!

    Posted: 11 Mar 2019 01:39 PM PDT

    Hey Slackers, meet Redackt! Inspired by pcottle's MSOutlookit, I decided to build my own Slack-like skin for Reddit. Now you can pretend to be messaging your colleagues, while actually browsing your favorite subreddit. This was my first big project in React, but it was a lot of fun and taught me a lot. I'm also making it completely open source so you guys can help me make this a truly wonderful time-waster! I wanted to make it as functional as possible so I added stuff like:

    • Dark Mode
    • Threads
    • Add/Remove Subs
    • Search
    • Likes/Gildings

    I'd love your help with the issues that the app has, and you can get more info on the readME

    Disclaimer: Obviously, I don't own Reddit or Slack, just wanted to make something cool combining the two!

    See it here GitHub Repo

    Let me know what you think or join me in building something awesome!

    submitted by /u/RusskiRoman
    [link] [comments]

    Boss has taken full-time job elsewhere, but is still only working part-time at current company, time to leave company?

    Posted: 11 Mar 2019 11:56 AM PDT

    I work on a small dev team of seven people, four developers, one designer, an administrator, and an assistant to the tech lead. Today, my tech lead announced to the team that he has taken up another full-time job, but will work at the company I work part-time at in the evenings and on the weekends. He already works all day every day (literally, 9/10am - 10pm, seven days a week), but now he will only be around on the weekends and during the evenings. He said we can change our schedule to match something similar to his, and it's not mandatory for us to do so, but I'm very reluctant to do this. I enjoy working in the mornings and having the evenings to pursue my own interests.

    The other upsetting part is the timing of this. After having worked on this product for over a year, we just officially launched it about a month and a half ago to all users, and we are starting to get real users. To me, this shows he doesn't have much faith in this product. I'm just not feeling like this company is worth it anymore, but this is my first role as a developer so I'm wondering if this sort of thing happens? I'm not crazy about the company either. I like my co-workers, and it's not a toxic environment or anything like that, but it's very disorganized and the lack of leadership is demotivating. I've stuck around because, well, it's a job. I need to get paid and I've been trying to learn as much as I can, but I think I've hit a wall with this place.

    Sorry if this is really just a rant, and the answer is obvious, but I guess I'm just looking for some perspective on this situation.

    submitted by /u/jawaka72
    [link] [comments]

    Internet Explorer Had Trouble Supporting CSS Since 1998

    Posted: 11 Mar 2019 12:40 PM PDT

    I love this website. As an aspiring webdev student how difficult is to make such a page?

    Posted: 11 Mar 2019 01:06 AM PDT

    https://newsupermariobrosu.nintendo.com/

    I'd love to get to a point where I can create websites such as the one above. Is this a very difficult thing to implement? Would HTML/CSS/JS do the trick here or does it require other technologies?

    submitted by /u/DahPhuzz
    [link] [comments]

    Is this common interview testing from tech company or is it a scam?

    Posted: 11 Mar 2019 02:59 PM PDT

    Is this common interview testing from tech company or is it a scam?

    I am interviewing a company. Talked to an Indian guy on the phone. He gave me some tests online, 2 hours. The test consists of logic, emotional... questions. The company represents a cannabis client. So ultimately I am working for that cannabis company. Don't know much about the cannabis company because the guy won't tell. Not even the name.

    I am doing the test right now. The thing is, I did the exact same test when I was interviewing another company a few months ago. That company is as discrete as fuck as this one. I didn't even know what that company does. Now I am thinking that company is doing cannabis shit as well.

    Is this a scam? Should I continue doing the test? I feel like wasting my time. But cannabis industry can pay quite well if it's a true company.....

    https://i.redd.it/1dybq263fkl21.jpg

    submitted by /u/crazyinsoul
    [link] [comments]

    What is the workflow for building containerized applications?

    Posted: 11 Mar 2019 02:44 PM PDT

    Hi all,

    I've been learning about containers and I understand them to an extent. However, I'm a bit confused about how developers approach new apps. Say you're building a backend service in Java(or anything really), do you:

    • Set it up locally, write the code, get it to work and then bundle it in a container or

    • Set it up with the required dependencies within the image, write the code, and then test it from within the container?

    I'm a bit confused because it looks like the second approach is more prominent but the part that confuses me more is why having to set up a volume binding(for docker) to update our changes is preferred more to just running and starting the service within an IDE??

    Basically, when developing locally, why would I want to run the app from within the container as opposed to just running it locally?

    I hope I made myself clear enough but let me know if I didn't. Thanks

    submitted by /u/jasserhere
    [link] [comments]

    F5 Acquires NGINX to Bridge NetOps & DevOps, Providing Customers with Consistent Application Services Across Every Environment - NGINX

    Posted: 11 Mar 2019 01:55 PM PDT

    Getting started

    Posted: 11 Mar 2019 09:51 AM PDT

    I'm a 16 years old guy and I've finally figured out what I want to become when I grow up. A web developer. I know the basis of HTML and CSS and I'm learning a little bit of JavaScript. I want to start learning right now because at this young age I'm learning things really easily so starting now will make things much easier in the future. Do you have any tips to get started? And where can I find and learn the Syntax of HTML, CSS and JavaScript? Any further help is appreciated!

    submitted by /u/TiDioH
    [link] [comments]

    Any Australian devs here?

    Posted: 11 Mar 2019 01:35 PM PDT

    I have a project that needs to check with Australian Medicare to determine if someone is eligible for certain types of health cards. Would love to contract with some folks down-under that know how to navigate that API. PM me please :)

    submitted by /u/hudsonfoo
    [link] [comments]

    AMPPS UI is so tiny

    Posted: 11 Mar 2019 04:29 PM PDT

    Hey Guys and Gals, Hope I'm in the right place for this post. I installed AMPPS for the first time and while I got it working, the UI itself is absolutely tiny. I'm running Windows 10 Home on my Dell XPS 13 at 3200x1800 res. No matter what I change it to, the UI is really tiny. Can't find anything online where anyone has encountered this issue. Thoughts or ideas to try?

    submitted by /u/rubberducky77
    [link] [comments]

    What's the best inbound way to get side gig clients?

    Posted: 11 Mar 2019 03:56 PM PDT

    Going to networking events? Upwork? /r/forhire? Optimizing for local SEO?

    I work full time as a front end dev, but want to make some extra cash on the side. Ideally $1,000 - $2,000 / month.

    I've had some decent success with doing outbound cold emailing, and doing WordPress websites (charging $~3,000), but the problem is they're cold prospects. Most say no. And the time to gather 100 emails a week to send out is time consuming.

    Any tips?

    submitted by /u/jd0909
    [link] [comments]

    Any good PMS out there?

    Posted: 11 Mar 2019 03:35 PM PDT

    I've been searching the web for a good property management system for a small-medium sized hotel and I just cant seem to find anything I like.

    Any recommendations?

    submitted by /u/alvarogonzalez123
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for somewhat basic help

    Posted: 11 Mar 2019 03:32 PM PDT

    Webdev noob. I have some basic html/css/bootstrap knowledge, and I am starting to realize how limited it really is. Don't know anyone IRL that knows anything about it :( Is there anyone that can help me with any stupid/basic questions? I'm having an issue rn with an online tutorial that I could really use some clarification on

    submitted by /u/justtrollinggggg
    [link] [comments]

    Newbie here - throwing myself into web dev.

    Posted: 11 Mar 2019 03:30 PM PDT

    Hi all,

    Straight to the point: I want to create a small site for my friends where we can create accounts and upload pictures (maybe leave comments if I'm really feeling it).

    But I want to know my options. I've used 000webhost but want to look for other web hosts, and yes, I know how shoddy that place is. I've looked for others but to put it plainly, I don't understand them. 000webhost dumbed down the whole process SO much, I think. All I had to do was drop my HTML, CSS, and maybe JS files into the file browser, load up the URL, and bam, there it was. When I decided to play around with databases, all I had to do was learn some simple SQL queries with PHP and I could add a new image to my site. That was something ground breaking because I never knew how to add anything to my websites without editing the actual HTML file. Hopefully this run on paragraph gave you the scope of my experience.

    2 hosts that I looked at were Heroku and Netlify, and put again plainly, I have no clue what they want from me. On Mozilla's webdev page for Django, there was a portion about setting up a Django project with Heroku, but it dealt with repositories (I know I will have to work with Git and that stuff some time since I am in school studying computer science).

    Sorry for the rant, but my questions boil down to this: -How do I go about setting up a database for my site -How can I get this site on the internet (hopefully for free, though I am aware there are major limits and flaws)

    I feel like a bratty child writing this post who doesn't care about the basics, or one of those people who go into subreddits like r/Unity3d or r/gamedev and ask how to make the next big MMORPG with zero programming experience, but I've eyed the possibilities of webdev too many times (personally) that I have turned to seek info here.

    Whether this is laughably far from my capability or not (it probably is since I have relatively zero experience in web dev), it's something I want to do and am ready to fail, but hopefully learn so much more than I did in the past.

    Thanks so much for reading.

    submitted by /u/Toscoes
    [link] [comments]

    We scanned, indexed, and built a tool to view security.txt records from the top 1 million websites. Check out the results!

    Posted: 11 Mar 2019 03:19 PM PDT

    How do you show off web apps you built for a company that aren't publicly available?

    Posted: 11 Mar 2019 07:34 AM PDT

    I am in the midst of updating my resume and portfolio after getting my first full-time gig as a web developer. I obviously would love to show off the app that I helped build, but it's part of proprietary enterprise software that companies have to buy licenses to to get access to it. At the moment, we don't have a demo or anything that is publicly available.

    I assume this is a common problem. How do you show off your work in a case like this? Do we have to limit ourselves to text descriptions in a traditional resume? Do you have to ask permission from your employer to use screenshots or a gif of the product in your personal portfolio?

    submitted by /u/bellamira
    [link] [comments]

    Can I alter the properties in the File object?

    Posted: 11 Mar 2019 02:59 PM PDT

    TLDR: Can I change the name property (which default's to "image.png") on an element's file object?

    Hey all!

    Quasi-newb here. I'm currently working with the File API and Clipboard API (both of which are new to me) to handle pasted images from users. I'm grabbing the file object from the image they paste and setting a new img tag's file equal to this object. I'm then passing this file object to the backend to later display as an attachment. Is it possible, at any point in time, to change any of the data in this object, specifically the name? Or is it entirely immutable?

    Thanks so much for your help!

    submitted by /u/maestro_man
    [link] [comments]

    Neue Helvetica font-weight Windows quality issue.

    Posted: 11 Mar 2019 08:53 AM PDT

    Tech debt is like Tetris (for your managers!)

    Posted: 11 Mar 2019 10:55 AM PDT

    The next time a manager asks you why you should spend time paying down technical debt, this is a great article to send them:

    https://medium.com/@erichiggins/technical-debt-is-like-tetris-168f64d8b700

    The money quote:

    "It's called technical debt because, at some point, it needs to be paid down. Paying down technical debt keeps you competitive. It keeps you in the game."

    submitted by /u/rmrf_slash_dot
    [link] [comments]

    Help with SEO - Doing as much as I can from Google Lighthouse Audits and my website is still on page 3 of searches

    Posted: 11 Mar 2019 02:33 PM PDT

    I run a static website for my dad that I have deployed on Netlify.

    The website has a 100 on the SEO audits, with <meta> tags on every html page for viewport, description, and keywords, an appropriately formatted <title> tag, I use Netlify's SSL for https, and the website is mobile friendly.

    I use a CDN for js and css dependencies like font-awesome, bootstrap, and jquery. Just recently I claimed my domain on the Google search console. The one thing my site doesn't have is a robots.txt, and I've read some articles saying that I need one in the root directory and others that say its not necessary.

    The root directory layout looks like the following:

    root |—css/ |—js/ |—images/ |— image_subcategories/ |— index.html |— about.html |— ... *rest of html pages*

    What I don't understand is how sites that are much older and haven't been upgraded in a decade sit at the top of the search while my dad's website, which is dedicated to the same topic as said ancient websites, sits far from the first page of search results. I'm not quite sure what I'm doing wrong and if there's anything I can really do.

    As for the rest of the Lighthouse scores, our homepage has a 90-100 on Performance, a 55 on PWA, 70 on accessibility, and a 90 on Best Practices. My website is superior to the competing one in all areas. For reference, one of the ancient competing websites on the first page of the search has a 95 on Performance, 30 on PWA, 35 on accessibility, 60 on Best Practices, and 75 on SEO.

    Any help would be great. Thanks

    submitted by /u/ThunderBow98
    [link] [comments]

    Wordpress Plugins (Weight)

    Posted: 11 Mar 2019 02:20 PM PDT

    Just started up a site and it's already pretty slow. When adding plugins, I went on various affiliate 'best' lists and added what seemed useful. Obviously, this is no good and led me to having too much. I would like to know which I can get rid of or if there are any conflicts (I've already run into a few). Also any other ways to speed up would be great. Thanks yall!

    Autoptimize

    Buddy Press

    Elementor (Want to get rid of in the future)

    Essential Addons for Elementor

    Events Manager

    Events Manager and WPML Compatibility

    GEO my WP

    MonsterInsights Google Analytics

    Health Check & Troubleshooting

    Jetpack

    Livemesh Addons for Elementor

    Login LockDown

    LoginPress - Customizing the WP Login

    My Simple Space

    Orbit For Companion (Theme Companion)

    Paid Member Subscriptions

    Pretty Links

    Really Simple SSL

    Redirection

    Shortcodes Ultimate

    Smush

    UpdraftPlus - Backup/Restore

    User Menus

    WooCommerce + Blocks

    WooCommerce Frontend Manager/Multivendor/Membership (Currently Disabled)

    WooCommerce Stripe Gateway

    Wordfence Security

    WP FullCalendar

    WP Super Cache

    WP-PageNavi

    WPForms Lite

    Yoast SEO

    So, clearly far too many. Many are currently disabled/not set up, but I can't find much on the internet for what I actually need. For example, are both Wordfence and Login Lockdown both needed? How about Jetpack and WP Super Cache?

    submitted by /u/Beefi1123
    [link] [comments]

    For those in agencies, what % of your hours are targeted for "billable hours"?

    Posted: 11 Mar 2019 10:17 AM PDT

    When I used to work at an web dev company, the goal was to have at least 80% of hours being billable, so every 8 hour day, there should be at least 6.4 hours tracked billable to a project.

    I was curious what other in agencies use. I know as a sole developer, even though I don't have to deal with sales and marketing (I have a set group of clients), I seem to come in at only about 60% billable during the week. (I need to get better at that...)

    submitted by /u/greg8872
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment