• Breaking News

    Tuesday, March 19, 2019

    Bill Gates said that you know how good you are going to be 3-4 years into your career and that he’s never met anyone who originally sucked that improved past the 3-4 year mark. How true is this? learn programming

    Bill Gates said that you know how good you are going to be 3-4 years into your career and that he’s never met anyone who originally sucked that improved past the 3-4 year mark. How true is this? learn programming


    Bill Gates said that you know how good you are going to be 3-4 years into your career and that he’s never met anyone who originally sucked that improved past the 3-4 year mark. How true is this?

    Posted: 18 Mar 2019 01:23 PM PDT

    This is a huge blow to my confidence tbh.

    Bill gates said that in all of his years of development, he's never seen a single developer that sucked/was mediocre that went on to be a great developer after this 3-4 year period.

    I'm at this range and I'm no where near ready to be a senior and I'm still considered a junior/mid level based on my skills.

    I really don't want to be stuck at this level but at the same time there's this guy who is one of the most successful programmers/intellectuals of our time just telling it like it is.

    I don't want to believe him at all. I know people always talk about shitty programmers but does anyone have any anecdotes of someone who was terrible that eventually became great?

    I asked this on cscareerquestions, got severely downvoted, and many people in the comments agreed with him and said they've never seen someone go from sucking to becoming great.

    submitted by /u/async_gouda
    [link] [comments]

    "J'Accuse!" A text-based mystery game written in Python

    Posted: 18 Mar 2019 01:15 PM PDT

    I'm creating a series of short, simple, text-based games in Python that beginners can look at to see examples of programming concepts being used to make actual programs. The complete repo is here: https://github.com/asweigart/pythonstdiogames

    The J'Accuse game source code is here: https://github.com/asweigart/PythonStdioGames/blob/master/src/jaccuse.py

    The game is similar to Homestar Runner's "Where's an egg?". Someone has kidnapped ZOPHIE THE CAT, and you travel to different locations to question suspects. Each location has a suspect and an item. Suspects either always lie or always tell the truth. You must deduce who has ZOPHIE THE CAT within 4 minutes, and you can accuse up to three people.

    EDIT: A twitch stream of me making this game will up for the next couple of days here: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/397250824

    submitted by /u/AlSweigart
    [link] [comments]

    What is the most efficient way to go about becoming a better logical thinker with programming ?

    Posted: 18 Mar 2019 02:07 AM PDT

    So I've finally managed to land a job as a developer, and I feel that I'm not ready for the tasks that may be coming my way.

    I've been programming for around 2 years, have completed plenty of YouTube and Udemy courses. However, I still lack that "logical thinking" aspect. I can't solve problems on leetcode or solve any algorithmic problem for that matter without trying so very hard.

    At times it becomes pretty demoralizing. What are the way you've managed to overcome this? Is there a must read book out there, and please don't say CLS. Do you just stare at algorithm questions all day and does it finally click or maybe you have discussions with colleagues about the problem?

    Please share your schedule, tips and anything else that you may think is useful. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/GhettoBurger996
    [link] [comments]

    Can I use Xcode to create applications for IOS without paying $99 to be an Apple Developer?

    Posted: 18 Mar 2019 11:31 PM PDT

    I really want to get some practice creating IOS applications. The problem is I don't want to pay $99/year since I just want to see what it's like. If I enjoy it I will gladly pay but is there any way that I could develop applications then pay $99/year to submit my applications to the app store?

    submitted by /u/TheChava
    [link] [comments]

    Why are arrays pointers by default? [C++]

    Posted: 18 Mar 2019 12:19 PM PDT

    In C++, arrays are pointers by default. Whenever we wish to pass an array as a parameter, we pass a pointer, and *array is the first element of that array (*arry + 1 is the second, and so on). So why is this? Why are arrays pointers by default?

    Thanks for your help.

    submitted by /u/SideHustleGVL
    [link] [comments]

    [OCaml] how to return an option type when using fold_left?

    Posted: 18 Mar 2019 08:15 PM PDT

    I have a function that finds the minimum positive # in a list, but I want it to return Some x (x being the smallest number) if there is, and None if there isn't (meaning no positive numbers in the list). I can't figure out how to incorporate if else expression in below. Also is using 100 as an accumulator a bad way of finding the min for comparison?

    let rec min_pos ls = List.fold_left (fun acc x -> min acc x) 100 ls 

    I tried the below as well, but I'm getting type errors

    let rec min_pos ls = List.fold_left (fun acc elem -> if acc < elem then Some acc else elem) (List.hd ls) ls 
    submitted by /u/KISS_THE_GIRLS
    [link] [comments]

    How did older programs deal with the lack of a sound FPU and IEEE standards??

    Posted: 18 Mar 2019 11:52 PM PDT

    IEEE Floating-point integers are the heart, and soul of many programs. From OpenGL to OpenCV, they create an easy, standard, tentative way for the programmer to access a slick, modern method to access decimal numbers. But they're comparatively recent. Before that, computers had external FPU cards, and before that, computers didn't even have FPUs. Von Neuman's machine didn't even have decimal numbers, thinking that "every mathematician worth a damn can keep the track of the decimal point". So how did older programs, before IEEE FPI became wave of the future, dealt with lack of a sound decimal system? Today C++'s double data type can hold up to 34 digits after the decimal point. What did they do before that?

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/SideHustleGVL
    [link] [comments]

    teaching myself html and css online

    Posted: 18 Mar 2019 04:15 PM PDT

    I am teaching myself html and css mostly online in hopes of a career change. What are the best resources to learn for free? How do I know when I have enough knowledge to apply for a job in the field? I know it is hard to answer but I don't know what I don't know. Hoping that makes sense

    submitted by /u/justtrollinggggg
    [link] [comments]

    (C++)I'm desperate, why is this code just ignoring my for loop?

    Posted: 18 Mar 2019 04:07 PM PDT

    #include<iostream> using namespace std; int main(){ int CurrentYear; int CurrentMonth; int CurrentAge; int MonthBorn; int YearKnow; int MonthKnow; int MonthFinal; int YearFinal; cout << "Enter the current year then press RETURN(enter).\n"; cin >> CurrentYear; cout << "Enter the current month (A number from 1 to 12).\n"; cin >> CurrentMonth; cout << "Enter your age in years.\n"; cin >> CurrentAge; cout << "Enter the month when you were born.\n"; cin >> MonthBorn; cout << "Enter the year you want to know when you were born.\n"; cin >> YearKnow; cout << "Enter the month of the year you want to know when you were born.\n"; cin >> MonthKnow; for(;CurrentYear==YearKnow&&CurrentMonth==MonthKnow;){ if (CurrentMonth > 12){ CurrentYear+=1; CurrentAge+=1; CurrentMonth=1; } CurrentMonth++; } cout << "Your age in " << MonthKnow << "/" << YearKnow << ": " << CurrentAge << " Years and " << CurrentMonth << " Months"; return(0); } 

    I tried so many things. New programmer so I can't really tell what I'm doing wrong. Thank you.

    submitted by /u/favhwdg
    [link] [comments]

    Is there good/recommended programming discord server?

    Posted: 18 Mar 2019 11:16 PM PDT

    Title, thanks

    submitted by /u/exis8
    [link] [comments]

    It doesn´t work appropriately. HELP!!

    Posted: 18 Mar 2019 07:15 PM PDT

    Can anyone help me and see what´s going on?

    #include<stdio.h>

    #include<math.h>

    int main(){

    int n, j, fact, vf, i; float sen, x, ter, y, pi; n = 50; sen = 0; pi = 3.1416; printf("Write the angle in degrees: "); scanf ("%f", &x); y = x; y = (x/180); for(j=0;j==n;j++){ fact = 1; vf = (2\*j)+1; for(i=1;i==vf;i++){ fact = fact\*i; } ter = (pow((-1),j))\*(pow(y,vf)/fact); seno = sen + ter; } printf("sin %.2f = %f", x, sen); return 0; 

    }

    submitted by /u/bicho1003
    [link] [comments]

    PyQt5 keyPressEvent Help

    Posted: 18 Mar 2019 10:58 PM PDT

    Hello

    I have this music application that Im working on and I am attempting to get key press events to work. My window is setup with buttons that if clicked will play a music chord. So far that all works fine and well, but I would also like for this app to play these sounds with the use of the keyboard. Basically you press the "a" key and a chord plays, and so on. The issue is I can't get my program to recognize the key press. I have a keyPressEvent function in my file below, but when I run my program the key press does not register.

    I believe it has something to do with the QMainWindow, or possibly the focus, but I am completely new to PyQt and GUIs in general so I do not know. Does anyone know how I could change this so my program accepts key presses?

    My code is below

    https://pastebin.com/PgP7Jmy0

    Thank you

    submitted by /u/Destructikus
    [link] [comments]

    What Do You Do When You Can't Focus?

    Posted: 18 Mar 2019 10:58 PM PDT

    Naturally, I think too much and therefore am prone to not paying attention, and this is a huge problem in class; I cant concentrate for more than a few minutes at a time. This leads to lots of wasted time that could be spent being more productive, or missing key points in lectures.

    Is there anybody else who's like this? How can I overcome this?

    Note) I do this even when Im with friends

    submitted by /u/Senator_Ahn
    [link] [comments]

    Do you get annoyed if a random acquaintance asks you for tips on how to learn programming?

    Posted: 18 Mar 2019 10:30 PM PDT

    if someone you hardly know asks for very basic, general tips on how to learn CS or programming etc, does it annoy the heck out of you?

    Do you feel like that person is asking you for money?

    submitted by /u/Grande_Latte_Enema
    [link] [comments]

    #learntocode

    Posted: 18 Mar 2019 10:26 PM PDT

    So the phrase has become quite memey lately but I'm curious what exactly people are referring to when they say 'code' as it is an extremely broad subject.

    What is worth learning these days for job stability in your opinion?

    submitted by /u/sGvDaemon
    [link] [comments]

    Humble Dundle Web Programming Book Bundle

    Posted: 18 Mar 2019 04:16 PM PDT

    Humble Bundle has a web programming book bundle right now, with the books being from O'reilly. I remember a few months ago a discussion about different companies that publish these sort of books, and that one in particular has a bad reputation, which company is that?

    submitted by /u/AaronD02
    [link] [comments]

    What are some ideas for a coding related event for elementary and middle school kids?

    Posted: 18 Mar 2019 06:24 PM PDT

    I volunteered for something at my work where we'll running a career event for elementary and middle school kids. I was told 8-15 is the most likely age range.

    What are some good like short things to do with kids that involve coding?....or are coding lol.

    submitted by /u/UpbeatZebra
    [link] [comments]

    easiest AR framework/library for Android?

    Posted: 18 Mar 2019 02:38 PM PDT

    I'm looking for something similar to NyARToolkit, which allows me to create a little AR software using markers on Android. Do you have any ideas? I'd prefer using Processing / Java, but I'm also looking on Unity (even though I've never used it)

    submitted by /u/DatAndre
    [link] [comments]

    Keep getting "main" java.lang.NullPointerException".

    Posted: 18 Mar 2019 10:07 PM PDT

    My goal is to pull data from a .csv file and create an array with an interactive menu to find certain information. I am coming across a NPE every time I try to start any method. I have been looking at the methods in the CrimeDataArray and I don't see anything wrong. I have been tryin multiple things, but nothing seems to work. Thank you in advance for the help. Looking forward to learning how to combat this exception!

    My Code

    Sorry for the long code. My methods starts at line 286 to 620.

    StackTrace example:

    This is from my getPopulationGrowth method that is located in the CrimeDataArray

    Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NullPointerException

    at crimedata.CrimeDataArray.getPopulationGrowth([CrimeDataArray.java:101](https://CrimeDataArray.java:101)) at [crimedata.TestCrimeData.menu](https://crimedata.TestCrimeData.menu)([TestCrimeData.java:94](https://TestCrimeData.java:94)) at crimedata.TestCrimeData.main([TestCrimeData.java:43](https://TestCrimeData.java:43)) 

    /Users/Raszion23/Library/Caches/NetBeans/8.2/executor-snippets/run.xml:53: Java returned: 1

    BUILD FAILED (total time: 3 seconds)

    submitted by /u/st_francis_
    [link] [comments]

    What do employers want?

    Posted: 18 Mar 2019 10:02 PM PDT

    Not sure if this is the right sub. But, Im currently a first year computer engineering student with a passion for coding. Ive been looking into different entry level software development jobs and they all seem to want different things. I would like to apply to software development positions next summer and want to know what kind of things I should be learning/working on to standout to employers? Should i make an app/website? What are most employers looking for in entry level software employees nowadays?

    P.S. i have already done two highschool CS courses in java and an intro to computer programming course in uni with C.

    Thanks and if there's a better sub to post this to, please lmk :)

    submitted by /u/notASmartBoi
    [link] [comments]

    Is there any advices to get accepted in Google summer of code 2019 ?

    Posted: 18 Mar 2019 02:17 AM PDT

    Hi, I'm senior in college, faculty of Electrical Engineering, I just heard about GSOC 2 days ago, and I wanna participate, but have no prior experiences, I have background in C ( 6/10), and basics of python Can anyone help me to write good proposal and tricks to get accepted? Thanks :)

    submitted by /u/_AAbdelghany
    [link] [comments]

    Having issues with classes and methods

    Posted: 18 Mar 2019 09:34 PM PDT

    Basically the title, in class we're doing some stuff to do with classes and methods and I am super confused. In 2 weeks I have a written test and one of the questions is writing code to change Fahrenheit to Celsius. My lecturer said we will fail if we don't have the classes and methods.

    Can someone explain these

    I am using Java

    submitted by /u/RedGamesA2
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone has an intermediate level C++ Robotics project?

    Posted: 18 Mar 2019 03:28 PM PDT

    I just finished learning about all the basic of C++ and some of the more advance features such as polymorphism, STL and OOP. I want to actually implement the skills I just learnt into a project and also I believe that a project will make me more motivated to dig deeper into the world of C++. However, I cannot find any particular robotics project online.

    Appreciate any suggestion on where to look!

    submitted by /u/TimLEarn
    [link] [comments]

    [Game-Dev: Question] How do I properly flip a gameobject X-axis while it's walking towards the object?

    Posted: 18 Mar 2019 09:20 PM PDT

    [UNITY ENGINE] -2D: Platform Game

    I am having trouble flipping my enemy around when I make my character jump over them. I am calling the function through Update. So when I jump over the enemy is glitches out and the enemy ends up having two heads instead of flipping to the other side. Youtube- Glitch Video

    using System.Collections; using System.Collections.Generic; using UnityEngine; public class Opossum : MonoBehaviour { public float movespeed; private Rigidbody2D posbody; private Transform TPlayer; private bool facingleft = true; //faceplacment void Awake() { posbody = GetComponent<Rigidbody2D>(); } // Start is called before the first frame update void Start() { TPlayer = GameObject.FindGameObjectWithTag("Player").GetComponent<Transform>(); } // Update is called once per frame void Update() { //Flip(); transform.position = Vector2.MoveTowards(transform.position, TPlayer.position, movespeed * Time.deltaTime); } void Flip() { if (facingleft = !facingleft) { Vector3 oposcale = transform.localScale; oposcale.x *= -1; transform.localScale = oposcale; } }//Flip }//Opossum 

    submitted by /u/Silent_Wolves
    [link] [comments]

    How do video game / application updates work, exactly?

    Posted: 18 Mar 2019 09:07 PM PDT

    So I'm a CS Major in my fourth semester and I've always been confused by it.

    You have the original source code which is used to release a game. Let's say Smash Bros. Ultimate, as I want to get into game dev in the future. Over time there are multiple updates. A recent one added in the ability to play a new character, which obviously required a massive update to load the model, moves, etc.

    I understand the general idea, but I don't get how the execution works. Also, how would that work if you have a disk/cart and not the full game installed on your hard drive?

    Thanks for correcting my ignorance, friends.

    submitted by /u/SenatorConfer
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment