• Breaking News

    Sunday, March 31, 2019

    Big N Discussion - March 31, 2019 CS Career Questions

    Big N Discussion - March 31, 2019 CS Career Questions


    Big N Discussion - March 31, 2019

    Posted: 31 Mar 2019 12:06 AM PDT

    Please use this thread to have discussions about the Big N and questions related to the Big N, such as which one offers the best doggy benefits, or how many companies are in the Big N really? Posts focusing solely on Big N created outside of this thread will probably be removed.

    There is a top-level comment for each generally recognized Big N company; please post under the appropriate one. There's also an "Other" option for flexibility's sake, if you want to discuss a company here that you feel is sufficiently Big N-like (e.g. Uber, Airbnb, Dropbox, etc.).

    Abide by the rules, don't be a jerk.

    This thread is posted each Sunday and Wednesday at midnight PST. Previous Big N Discussion threads can be found here.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Daily Chat Thread - March 31, 2019

    Posted: 31 Mar 2019 12:06 AM PDT

    Please use this thread to chat, have casual discussions, and ask casual questions. Moderation will be light, but don't be a jerk.

    This thread is posted every day at midnight PST. Previous Daily Chat Threads can be found here.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    What is the expectation of a junior engineer?

    Posted: 31 Mar 2019 11:18 AM PDT

    Hi I wanted to know this mainly because I got 3 engineers to train and then later management told me that they are very junior.

    They have not had formal education and it sucks having to teach fundamentals like functions and loops, and they both have more experience than me, and I have to hand hold to the amount that I feel this is an 101 programming class.

    I have trained interns and mid level and i would like to know what is expectation. Do they complete tasks on time, make their own tasks and to what level of help is acceptable for me to push back to management and say it is a bad hire. The engineers have been here for 1 year now.

    submitted by /u/misamisa90
    [link] [comments]

    Starting Salary for MS Graduate

    Posted: 31 Mar 2019 10:03 AM PDT

    I'm absolutely clueless about how much I should be making or should be asking for in this industry.

    For context, I'm a semester away from receiving my MS in Computer Science and will soon start the job application process. I'm looking to work in Software Engineering or in the Game Industry as a Programmer.

    Until recently I honestly thought a good starting salary in the US for CS graduates was 40 - 50k, then some friends told me I was basically selling myself short and that they very confidentally right of the bat tell their recruiters how much they're asking for, which is usually between 70 - 90k.

    I have no idea how to negotiate this. Am I aiming too low? Are my friends aiming too high? And what difference is there in starting salary between a BS graduate and an MS graduate in CS?

    EDIT: I'm primarily looking at the DC area, and I'm open to NYC and Seattle.

    submitted by /u/LatHab
    [link] [comments]

    This internship is stressing me out.. Am I doing it wrong?

    Posted: 31 Mar 2019 05:58 AM PDT

    So idk if i am the wrong one here or if the company wont provide me any support. I got hired as an intern in the company and even tho i have zero knowledge and experience with Oracle Soa Suite, they decided to give me that role. I didnt mind so i took it. They are aware that i have zero experience with SOA.

    Now i have having tons of problems setting the environment up properly, creating some complex web services, fault handling etc. And the SOA team of the company work in a different office so its hard for me to ask them for help. I just started about 10 days ago and im losing my mind. I cant figure this out. Im searching on google a lot but the issue is sometimes the info is of older versions or sometimes its so confusing. I have gone into a state of depression over this thinking that im not good enough.

    Im new to work environment so i dont really know if this is the fair way of treating an intern? Making them figure everything out abt a new software and technology on their own. I have better knowledge of programming languages like Java and if they out me on java projects I could figure it out on my own but i literally know nothing about oracle soa suite and how to use it. I know the theory of SOA, web serives, WSDL etc but nothing abt implementation and I dont know what to do.. Ive been struggling trying to complete my one assignment containing 16 tasks.. Ive only completed like 5 of them

    submitted by /u/OldDisneyRules
    [link] [comments]

    I'm trying to switch from IT to Software Development. It's more difficult than I thought it would be.

    Posted: 31 Mar 2019 07:51 AM PDT

    I have a BS in CS and an AS in IT. I own a small IT business where I do typical IT things (computer repair, network and server admin, network security, small pen testing etc) and Web Dev. I've made some business websites from the ground up using HTML, CSS, JavaScript, and a little PHP. I've also written small Python scripts for small tasks that my customers hate doing daily. The scripts were free for experience.

    I've applied to numerous jobs for QA, entry-level software dev, and the similar. I'm not ashamed to start at the bottom and work for free. However, I never land a job even if I offer to be an unpaid freelance.

    Am I doing something wrong or do employers see me as desperate? ANY sincere and useful advice is greatly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/TheRealJonSnuh
    [link] [comments]

    If I don't land an internship by graduation, what else can I do to make myself more employable?

    Posted: 31 Mar 2019 01:05 PM PDT

    Due to personal issues, I've slacked off for the past few years in college. During that period, I basically did fuck-all and nothing productive.

    I'm now in my second semester of junior year. I'm doing well this semester and want to start turning my life around. I have 0 job experience (some retail/restaurant jobs in high school) and 0 projects. The only stuff I can put on my resume are classes from school related to my field; other than that, my resume is half-way empty. I applied for some places last semester and got an interview but they ended up hiring someone else.

    I'm worried for my future after graduation. I want to know how to make myself more employable and getting more experience under my belt.

    submitted by /u/GrapeSwishers
    [link] [comments]

    I like writing code. Should I become a software engineer, or are there other types of coding jobs out there?

    Posted: 31 Mar 2019 04:50 PM PDT

    Hey guys, I have two questions. For some quick background on myself, I just graduated with an Econ major from Northwestern in 2018. I did not code much except for a data science class senior year which I just loved.

    I took a job as a buyer in the corporate office of a big retailer, and I don't like it. All I want to do is write tons of lines of code. I love the logic of it, I love the math, I love breaking down a problem into parts. And I love how functional and useful it is too.

    I don't really care much for web design, or at least for front end stuff. I would rather handle the logic and the loops and things like that. Is a software engineer the right job for me, or are there other things out there I can explore?

    To follow up on that, I am wondering about my path too. I do not have a ton of experience coding at all except for this class and then playing around on my own a little bit. I wrote a program that plays Guess Who and I am trying to make a fantasy ididarod too in my free time. Should I do a coding bootcamp like hack reactor in sf? Or would you guys recommend this two year Master's program that Northeastern has that is intended for non-cs undergraduates. This program includes a 6 month co-op also, making it 2.5 years. I figure the master's would give me more time to explore which different areas of coding that I like. But I also feel like it might be a waste of time if I end up just as well off after doing the bootcamp. What do you guys think?

    One last thing: would the master's help me down the road? Or would it be better to do the much faster bootcamp and try and get experience asap.

    submitted by /u/FizzTheWiz
    [link] [comments]

    Is it too late to renegotiate my pay

    Posted: 31 Mar 2019 08:47 PM PDT

    Throw away account for obvious reasons. A few months ago I applied for a part time data analyst role at at a tech startup. The post mentioned that the pay was negotiable but I didn't ask for much for a few reasons...

    -I didn't want them to take me out of the running for being too expensive. - I had already turned down a few well paying jobs because I really wanted good work life balance -I was a mom returning to the workforce after being gone for well over a year, so I thought that might put me at a disadvantage. -It's a tech start up so I assumed wages might be lower because of the perks they offer.

    Well, they did offer me the role and I accepted, but I didn't realize until after accepting that they were hiring me as a contractor, not a regular employee. I asked for a little more money at that point but not enough. I had never worked as a contractor before and didn't realize what I was getting myself into. So, my already very low wage is make even lower by the 30 percent in taxes or so that I must pay and the lack of health benefits.

    I know I'm worth way more than what I'm making. I'm also highly educated. (Before having a baby I made more than double what I make now). When I was hired they mentioned that the role might become full time in the future, if I was interested. I am, given that they allow me to do some work from home. Well, I'm a few months in and I've done great work for them so far. Can I renegotiate my pay? If so, how? Or, should I wait until they try to make me full time and then renegotiate? Or, should I learn from my mistake and start applying for something else? I really enjoy the people and the work environment so I'm hesitant to leave so soon. I'm happy to be working again. But, this wage won't even cover my personal bills.

    submitted by /u/Throwmeaway5846251
    [link] [comments]

    How much of the Spring suite do you need for a job in it?

    Posted: 31 Mar 2019 04:03 PM PDT

    I've taken the last month or so to become comfortable with the Spring framework, including Spring REST and Spring MVC alongside Hibernate. I've built a small web app that connects to a database and can read and write to it, but that's it. I'm wondering what an entry-level Spring person does on a day-to-day basis and if I should become proficient in things like Spring Security or Spring Boot before applying. I know Spring Boot is particularly desired.

    ANY insight into a Spring developers life would be appreciated!

    submitted by /u/CancerImSure
    [link] [comments]

    Will tech giants offer housing as a perk?

    Posted: 31 Mar 2019 08:11 PM PDT

    So this is something I've been wondering for a while. Living on college campus has been one of the best experiences of my life and has really made me feel like a part of the community. With tech giants offering a large number of perks and free things, it seems to me that offering free(or substantially cheaper, therefore incentivized) housing would be an interesting addition to the list of benefits. Interns at Amazon, Facebook, and many other companies already receive corporate housing for their work term and it really helps a lot of them deal with needing to find accommodation on their own.

    Of course building housing isnt cheap, but it wouldn't be too big of a deal for larger multi-billion dollar companies to invest in the infrastructure and continue with the maintenance. Building corporate housing also seems like a good idea to help reduce some of the community resentment a lot of locals seem to harbor for tech companies apparently increasing neighborhoods' cost of living. More housing for employees = less employees taking up local housing.

    Now obviously a lot of people won't be wanting to live in corporate housing, which is their choice, but it seems to me that many would love the option (myself included). Being able to walk to the office within 10-20 minutes is such a huge convenience, and being surrounded by friends and acquaintances seems like an ideal situation. What do you guys think of tech giants offering corporate housing for full timers? Will it happen in the future?

    submitted by /u/CSisLife123
    [link] [comments]

    What is frustrating about the hiring process?

    Posted: 31 Mar 2019 01:51 PM PDT

    u/maybeiambatman inspired me with this post last week. The interview process is a passion of mine and I've hired hundreds of developers in my career. I help here when I can with unanswered questions. I started a Twitch stream last year that operates as a live AMA and usually focuses on all things "agile", but it could use some diversity in discussion topics.

    Hopefully you view this as something of value. If so, give me a preview of the types of topics/questions you'd like covered in the comments. This will help me make the session as effective as possible (targeting Wednesday). Look forward to the feedback!

    submitted by /u/nosrednAhsoJ
    [link] [comments]

    Is a software developer that worked in performance testing considered to be looked down upon and less technical?

    Posted: 31 Mar 2019 07:43 PM PDT

    I got an offer for a "full stack developer" role at a reputable company but it's all for performance testing. The tools they advertised are the tools I actually want to use.

    I feel like it's a bait and switch because what exactly is full stack about performance testing lol?

    I don't want to severely mess up my career, any advice?

    submitted by /u/lemon_butter_chicken
    [link] [comments]

    Building a plan to land an internship: Two Sigma internship, Jane Street internship

    Posted: 31 Mar 2019 03:54 PM PDT

    My goal is to intern at 2Sigma/Jane Street / any other similar company as:

    • Software dev intern
    • Quant research intern

    I'll start applying in December 2019 - January 2020. Between no and then I want to continue working hard, but I want to know I'm heading in the right direction...

    Software dev internship seems more doable but I want to develop a plan for quant research too.

    Is getting a job here just a matter of:

    1. Build relevant skills
    2. Projects to showcase skills
    3. Network with alumni
    4. Network and more networking?

    I've asked a few people what I should do to get a job of this caliber and they usually only say, "be good at programming, have a good gpa, know the right people..." but is that it? That just feels so abstract or vague.

    submitted by /u/PartySugar
    [link] [comments]

    Data engineer to software engineer?

    Posted: 31 Mar 2019 07:39 PM PDT

    Hi r/cscareerquestions! Long time lurker here, hoping to get some guidance.

    I just started my second role out of college as data engineer, but I've noticed that a lot of us on my team just do SQL. I found myself missing coding, which I did more of in my first role. I understand that data engineering normally does entail building pipelines and the like, but the DEs at my job don't really deal with high volumes of data ... and that isn't really what I'm interested in.

    My strength is in SQL but I want to try other trajectories like software engineering/application development. I find data a little boring and want to work more with code. I've worked with building tools in Python and Java, which I find more challenging than SQL and much more interesting.

    What should I be learning and/or doing to become a stronger job applicant, going from a DE to SWE?

    Thank you in advance for reading!

    submitted by /u/hundredyearsgirl
    [link] [comments]

    Bioninformatics?

    Posted: 31 Mar 2019 07:15 PM PDT

    Currently a second year biology and math student in Canada. I kind of picked bio and math cuz they were my interests in highschool, did not really think about career in the future. I know about careers like bioinformatics but not really sure what the market is like and what I need to do to get there. Can someone shed some light?

    submitted by /u/FmlRager
    [link] [comments]

    Another Internship Search Visualized [Summer 2019]

    Posted: 30 Mar 2019 08:49 PM PDT

    Posting this a little late. I accepted an offer a while ago, but here are the results of my internship search for Summer 2019!

    The timeline here is from October to mid-February. Note that I have received several more interview offers / coding challenges / rejections since the end of tracking in Feb. This would convert to fewer ghosts in the diagram, had I continued to track them.

    Offers were from cloud, fintech, and AI. Accepted AI.

    Sankey diagram: https://i.imgur.com/vvEJc1k.png (easiest to read from the middle out)

    submitted by /u/NeilTCox
    [link] [comments]

    Unpaid internship at a startup expects me to productive within a week. I need a bit of help.

    Posted: 31 Mar 2019 06:55 PM PDT

    Throwaway account here. I got an internship through a family friend, as the CEO is very close to my family. My internship officially starts in from May but they wanted to get me onboarded early on in March. Tech stack is very outdated (PHP + AngularJS 1.4). They don't use docker, and I had trouble setting up the dev-environment and my manager doesn't reply for a few days at a time. They have a README which honestly doesn't help much. I've pushed a bit of code so far (basic changes, nothing too big) and they've been micromanaging me expecting me to have had my task completed by now, but it's fairly complex and the codebase is kind of a mess (Especially AngularJS, maybe because I don't understand it well enough yet). I also don't know AngularJS at all, but they expect me to be productive while I'm balancing school as well. My past internship was also at a startup but I had more autonomy and was allowed to make design decisions, so writing the code wasn't too difficult. At this internship however, I try to add one function, and stuff breaks. They're not a funded startup and I've been fairly stressed this whole month because of the constant micromanagement and deadlines, and as a result have not been doing too well in school.

    Any suggestions what to do? I've spoken to the CEO and CTO about deadlines but they expects me to be a rockstar when I'm clearly not. I need the experience but I feel this isn't the right way to get experience. The internship is also remote which worsens things substantially.

    submitted by /u/CreepyCommand
    [link] [comments]

    Any YouTube channels that helped you become a better programmer?

    Posted: 31 Mar 2019 12:11 PM PDT

    Hey,

    I was curious to see if anyone knows any good YouTube channels that helped them become a better programmer.

    Better interviewing, in depth Leetcoding explanations, or best practices etc. Or just in general talks.

    Maybe even some podcasts? I'm asking since I'm doing Leetcode and CTCI.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/NonaBona
    [link] [comments]

    Preparing for infernship

    Posted: 31 Mar 2019 08:24 PM PDT

    I'm about a month out for my internship start date. Is it okay to email my manager asking for more info about my work so I can prepare if it's something I'm not familiar with?

    submitted by /u/TheLebronStan
    [link] [comments]

    How to handle a new offer 7 months into first job?

    Posted: 31 Mar 2019 05:01 PM PDT

    I've been working at my first job out of college for the past 7 months and I'm getting burned out by my workplace. Generally toxic culture, 0 QA practices, everyone works 50-60 hours a week, yadda yadda.

    I just interviewed and got a verbal offer from a Java based company. Their recruiter said Id be getting 70k and a 6% annual bonus. Im making 70k (~35 hourly)

    Should I have asked for more from the new offer? I havent gotten a written offer yet, would it be too late to renegotiate then?

    I've only been working 7 months and in a completely different stack so I felt id be starting over again so thats why i didnt push for a higher pay.

    submitted by /u/juniornoob
    [link] [comments]

    How capable should a dev be after a year of experience?

    Posted: 31 Mar 2019 06:20 PM PDT

    About a year ago I got my first job as a web dev. Started as an internship which converted to entry level at the start of the year, but I more or less have the same responsibilities (bug fixes, features, code review, etc.). So far the company seems pleased with me.

    Thing is, I'm wondering if I'm really where I should be at 1 year of experience. I still feel like I'm rubber stamping every code review I do, in large part because it seems like my other team members rarely make mistakes and when they do they're not the kind of mistakes I would catch (usually design decision stuff). I still need help on just about every story I'm given, though I've made an effort for months to try to ask less and less. When my PRs go to code review I almost always get comments, sometimes a lot.

    On the other hand, I always get my tasks done on time, usually ahead of schedule. People, not just on my team, occasionally come to me for help (though more often than not I don't have a solution). And like I said, I've only been getting good feedback so far.

    Still, should I be farther ahead in my skills than where I am now for how much experience I have? Is this imposter syndrome, or something to actually be worried about?

    submitted by /u/ideidk
    [link] [comments]

    How to get a CS degree while working as a dev full time?

    Posted: 31 Mar 2019 06:14 PM PDT

    I've been working as a dev for nearly 4 years now and really want to obtain a CS degree. I figured I have two options, either attend night school, not much of an option as my local university doesn't offer this, or to take an online degree. In Canada there really isn't any universities that offer an online degree, but there seems to be a few in the US. Has anyone done this, if so I'd love to know how you accomplished this. I have no objections to spending more than 4 years to complete as well, so strongly receptive to part time study.

    submitted by /u/Jaboof
    [link] [comments]

    How valuable is a Top Secret Clearance?

    Posted: 31 Mar 2019 09:58 AM PDT

    I graduated in 2018 with degree in IT and started a job as a ServiceNow Developer at a IT/Consulting firm working with the DoD. Around December 2018 I was put in the process of top secret clearance so that I can go on client site. From my understanding the benefits of a TS clearance is job security and pay-raise.

    I mainly work with ServiceNow platform (minimal JS coding) right now and the hours are good, but I really want to be coding more (I have basic CS knowledge though). I'm really interested in the VR space right now and that's where I want to be in the future. However, VR isn't that big in government compared to private/commercial sector. Another problem is that I don't have the CS skill set since I didn't get a degree in CS.

    I've been thinking of just applying to other jobs that are more focused on coding. I know of jobs that teach you programming for a couple of months and at the end of that you become an associate software engineer (the pay for software engineers are still higher than mine even after a clearance pay raise). This'll mean throwing my currently in-process TS clearance and essentially restarting my career.

    Most people I've talked to said I'm either making a mistake throwing the clearance away or that I should wait until I get the clearance (which I'll probably get in 2020), but I think that a clearance is pretty much useless in the private/commercial tech industry. What do you guys think?

    submitted by /u/90585615387
    [link] [comments]

    Working remotely without permission and now want to fly back home to take another course, should I tell my manager?

    Posted: 31 Mar 2019 05:46 PM PDT

    Moved to a different city for a 16 month internship and since January I've been working from home almost every day. I never received permission for this, I just started doing it and no one said anything so I continued. Recently spoke with my manager and he didn't even mention it. (Note: I don't care about getting a return offer from this internship).

    Now I want to take a spring undergrad course which is only about 1 month long from May to June (internship ends in August).

    The problem is that this would require me to move back home for the duration of the course (would need to attend lab and lecture).

    Option 1: Explain to manager that I need to work from home during this time frame. Problem is that he might say that the time frame is too long and that I should take that time off as vacation. Interns from previous years have also taken months off but it was considered a vacation.

    Option 2: Don't say anything. Since the beginning of this internship it's been extremely rare for me to be required to be physically present in the office so there's a good chance that I could get through most or all of the course without anyone noticing. If someone asks, I could give some excuse why I was out of town and would be back in a few weeks.

    Is it really better to ask for forgiveness than permission?

    submitted by /u/legitimatecustard
    [link] [comments]

    Declining my internship offer after accepting it, (for another one)

    Posted: 31 Mar 2019 08:44 PM PDT

    UPDATE: "Renege" not "decline"

    I was accepted as an intern for company A as early as January. While I appreciated my time at the on-site interview, they provided a very narrow window of time for me to make a decision, considering that I expected most companies to respond to my applications late February or around March. Earlier this month, I was accepted at a larger company B that is near my home (and not my college), and pays significantly more, and therefore, I wouldn't have to worry about paying for housing and transportation(I don't own a personal vehicle). Company B also informed me that they probably could reimburse my transportation costs, since it's still almost an hour away.

    Would appreciate any advice on how to communicate my withdrawal decision to company A?

    tl:dr: accepted company A's offer but received better opportunity at company B, finance-wise. Tips on how to inform A of my decision to decline.

    submitted by /u/lazyBert
    [link] [comments]

    Salary expectation for data analyst/data scientist - Helsinki Finland (entry level)

    Posted: 31 Mar 2019 10:06 AM PDT

    Background:

    I am a UK citizen looking to relocate to Helsinki, Finland at the end of the year.

    Currently I am finishing a MSc in Big Data Analytics in the UK, with knowledge in SAS, R, SQL, Python and big data softwares such as HaDoop/Hive/Pig/NiFi etc. I am averaging 75% and projected for distinction/first class honour.

    In terms of SAS, I currently hold SAS base certification, and will aim to take advanced and clinical before graduation.

    My previous experience is not CS-related. I have a BSc in Physics. Alongside full-time studies, currently I have 3 PT job roles at the university; one as a research assistant at the business school (mostly data analysis with R), one as a research assistant at the health department (data analysis with SAS), one as a video producer for the student research department. All of which <1 yoe.

    My dissertation will be DS-related using Python and is expected to be a published journal at the end of the year.

    My questions:

    I am unfamiliar with the CS (or DA/DS) job market (or general job market) in Helsinki Finland and struggled to find reliable salary information online. The goal is to find an entry level job in data analytics / data science.

    The idea I got from a UK-based mentor is to find a SAS analyst job, since I feel the most confident with this language due to my course structure, and the entry salary (UK) is higher than programmer of other languages without experiences. I also feel it is somewhat more tangible with certifications that I can take to ascertain (to a certain extent) my skills. But I am not limiting myself to just SAS. I am confident in statistics and R. I am writing my dissertation at the moment and am learning ML using Python.

    An initial search did not yield very good results. I found that there appear to be far fewer job opportunities compared to the UK. And it appears that disclosing a salary range is not common on job adverts. And understandably having rudimentary Finnish will put me in a less than advantageous position, but I do speak two other major languages fluently aside from English.

    I am seeking advice on:-

    1. General DA/DS job market in Helsinki Finland
    2. Entry level salary expectation
    3. Any advice on job hunting in Finland

    Thank you for any input.

    submitted by /u/btcquokka
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment