• Breaking News

    Friday, March 15, 2019

    Beginner Questions - March 15, 2019 web developers

    Beginner Questions - March 15, 2019 web developers


    Beginner Questions - March 15, 2019

    Posted: 15 Mar 2019 06:16 AM PDT

    If you're new to web development and would like to ask experienced and professional web developers a question, please post below.

    Etiquette

    • Remember, that questions that have context and are clear and specific generally are answered while broad, sweeping questions are generally ignored.

    • Be polite and consider upvoting helpful responses.

    • If you can answer questions, take a few minutes to help others out as you ask others to help you.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Finally, a CSS only solution to :hover on touchscreens

    Posted: 15 Mar 2019 02:44 AM PDT

    What do you think about PWA?

    Posted: 15 Mar 2019 09:15 AM PDT

    Progressive Web Applications (PWA) - look like ordinary web applications to a user. Although it has an additional value. It can be downloaded to the device. From that moment it starts working as a mobile application.

    Let me explain why I'm so excited about PWA. I'm working with enterprises from different markets. They usually need to have an application for internal business processes. These applications don't require promotion in stores.

    Benefits that I can see:

    1. Compatibility with all mobile devices. Web browser is the only thing you need.
    2. No Review. You don't need to submit your application for the review to Appstore or Play Market.
    3. Offline mode. If you download the application to your device it can work offline like an ordinary mobile application.
    4. Reduce time for development. You have both web and mobile applications in one at the same time.

    What do you think about PWA? What is your experience?

    submitted by /u/dashdevs
    [link] [comments]

    PWAs are becoming more mainstream, allowing web applications to run as if they are native applications on your devices. Something that has been missing is the ability to list these applications in a centralized developer store. With the new introduction of Trusted Web Activities now you can!

    Posted: 15 Mar 2019 04:40 AM PDT

    Best way to conduct a very basic technical interview

    Posted: 15 Mar 2019 07:54 AM PDT

    So i'm about to graduate annd move onto a grad role which means leaving this part time front end gig i've been doing.

    I've been asked to come up with some interview questions and technical tests for a replacement for me whom for the mean time is going to be a uni student looking to do a summer internship (not as sketchy as it sounds, the company is great to work for and it's quite a bit of money for really easy and laid back work).

    Apart from the obvious that i'm not even a junior yet and therefore don't know complex shit/anything really. I'm the only technical person in the small company. So i'll have to attend the interviews and assess the work. Would anyone be able to recommend some fairly basic technical tests? I thought giving them an hour to come up with a really basic biography site, just using html, css and js wouldn't be too bad. It would be really chill and i'd just be really looking at if they can get stuff done, know basic html,css etc and can find out stuff they don't know easy. Would that be a good start?

    The job doesn't really involve the need for extensive whiteboard/hackerrank esque interviews so i don't want to do one (plus i fucking have to come to loathe doing them myself 100000 times to get a grad role). My only other thought would be to give them 30mins to code some basic 1 page site, and then talk me and my non technical boss through it to see if they can convey technical concepts in an okay manner since they'd be trying to do that in the job or not doing any test and just getting them to work with me for a short period to see how they are

    submitted by /u/hiya19922
    [link] [comments]

    A Github repo that gathers original developper portfolios

    Posted: 15 Mar 2019 10:02 AM PDT

    https://github.com/christopherkade/awesome-dev-websites

    People are always on the lookout for inspiration, and there are some really cool developper websites out there. If you know one, feel free to submit it through a PR on the repo above.

    submitted by /u/Aruixe
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone have any good bash aliases to share?

    Posted: 15 Mar 2019 03:27 PM PDT

    Or zsh, doesn't matter.

    Here a few of my favs

    `mkcd` or mkdir -p $1; cd $1;

    `projs` or cd /mnt/c/Projects; // basically, go to my project folder

    `vbp` or vim ~/.bash_profile

    `sbp` or source ~/.bash_profile

    submitted by /u/hiphophipp0
    [link] [comments]

    How do I display my .com website as .ca (I own both)

    Posted: 15 Mar 2019 03:04 PM PDT

    Hi all, so I built a website for my team at work using wix and bought .com domain. FYI it was my first time doing anything like this, ever. After sometime we thought that perhaps we should have .ca (we are Canadian). I bought .ca name on GoDaddy, so now we officially own both, and both are connected to my Wix website. Unfortunately, it doesn't allow me to set .ca as primary domain, so .ca will redirect me to .com but I want to do the opposite.

    Is there a way to show my URL as .ca? Seems like all website builders have the same issue, plus there was a lot of time spent building it. Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/sasha_sp93
    [link] [comments]

    CSS Grid - Best Example Site Resource?

    Posted: 15 Mar 2019 10:37 AM PDT

    What is your goto site that collects a large number of sites built with CSS Grid? Something like CSS Zen Garden would be nice but with practical examples. Like real websites (restaurant, eCommerce, portfolio, etc). I like Rachel Andrew's Grid By Example for learning purposes but I would like a go-to site I can use for inspiration and more complete ideas. Thank you.

    submitted by /u/ReactPupil
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a way to daily execute a task.

    Posted: 15 Mar 2019 02:10 PM PDT

    Im working on a simple day counter PWA. Everything is client based.

    I wonder if there is a way to execute a function every day e.g. in the serviceworker or other web worker.

    Specifically I want to daily test if 1 counter is at '10' (or some other fancy number) and show a notification to the user.

    Really appreciate your help. I have been searching for weeks on this topic but didn´t find a solution.

    EDIT: This is my first post & I hope its not a beginner question.

    submitted by /u/MatzE_
    [link] [comments]

    Suggestions for more respectful-privacy tools?

    Posted: 15 Mar 2019 01:32 PM PDT

    I'm trying to move my workflow to a more respectful environment for web design-development-digital marketing... What I'm saying-asking is for alternate tools that doesn't involve untrusted-data-selling (cof cof Google, Yahoo, Yandex, Facebook... Etc)

    At the end, I need some data and automation, yes, but for personal use (for tweaking, analytics, email campaigns, social insights and automations), but slowdown cowboy, there must be easy alternatives with privacy and respect for user data. So, what can I use (that doesn't involve development from scratch) instead of:

    • Google Analytics
    • Flurry
    • Hotjar
    • CrazyEgg
    • Marketo
    • MailChimp
    • Another mktg tool?
    • etc

    What are your tools, workflows? Your tools? Your tricks? For example, I know I can use Apache snippets for boost SEO instead of use a harmful tool...

    submitted by /u/ale_co_
    [link] [comments]

    Angular Routing — Best Practices for Enterprise Applications

    Posted: 15 Mar 2019 02:13 AM PDT

    Serverless approach to integrate Gitlab webhooks with Riter GraphQL API

    Posted: 15 Mar 2019 01:22 PM PDT

    In this post, we describe how to integrate Gitlab webhooks with Riter API and deploy the service on the Google Cloud Platform using Cloud Functions — a serverless compute solution for creating event-driven applications. The whole code written in JavaScript is available on Github. Unit and performance tests are also provided.

    submitted by /u/dailyco
    [link] [comments]

    Setting up a simple environment for simple simulations

    Posted: 15 Mar 2019 01:11 PM PDT

    I want to have some fun writing a crowd simulation. I'd like some dots that will move around, avoid each other, and flock.. normally I would just do this in Python or C++ with OpenGL used to create a window and draw all of my dot creatures.. However I thought it would be really cool to have this on my website so others can see and play with it.

    My web experience is pretty basic, just html and css, so I don't really know how to approach this. I am going to guess that I need to write all the logic and simulation in one language, and use something like webgl for displaying the actual graphics, but again I know basically nothing about advanced web dev. I'd love some advice or shortcuts on the simplest and lightest way to do this, because the web side of it is not so much what my goal is as much as playing with the logic and simulation.

    submitted by /u/Liquos
    [link] [comments]

    CSS Grid Question. On a grid with two rows and one column, within a 100vh element, how do I give the bottom row a fixed height in px, and make the top row automatically fill the rest of the available space, even if there are no elements within it?

    Posted: 15 Mar 2019 01:05 PM PDT

    right now I have this:

    section{ display: grid; grid-template-rows: auto 80px; grid-template-areas: "illustration" "button"; height: 100vh; width: 100%; margin: 0; padding: 0; background-color: rgb(230, 230, 230); svg{ grid-area: "illustration"; height: 80%; width: auto; } .buttonContainer{ grid-area: "button"; align-self: "end"; position: relative; width: 100%; text-align: center; } } 

    The problem is that there won't always be an svg within the illustration row, and when that's the case the top row automatically gets assigned the button area for some reason.

    How can I fix this so that even when there is no illustration, the button area will always be the bottom row?

    submitted by /u/Do_not_dare_give_up
    [link] [comments]

    Responsive images for dynamic layouts

    Posted: 15 Mar 2019 01:03 PM PDT

    I am looking at the best way to markup responsive images for a webpage that is dynamic. Using srcset and sizes now. However the issue being that I won't know ahead of time what the exact layout will be. Lets say in a row on the page there could be up to 4 blocks. They flex to take up all available space. So if there are 4, the image source should be the small file. If there was 1, that image source should be the large image file. @media queries don't really help here. Container queries, when they do come (aaaaaany day now) would help - and hopefully srcset will update to obey container queries rather than @media queries.

    Anyways, anyone have an elegant solution?

    submitted by /u/enigma2118
    [link] [comments]

    Simple Wordpress & GDPR

    Posted: 15 Mar 2019 12:38 PM PDT

    I'm in the process of building website on Wordpress and wonder if it's necessary to add some GDPR info if we won't let user to register/login (admins only) and there are no cookies when not logged in + no comments section? There are also no trackers, ads etc.

    submitted by /u/Loki-1
    [link] [comments]

    Should I not be expecting Bootstrap 4 tooltips to be working properly on mobile?

    Posted: 15 Mar 2019 11:35 AM PDT

    I have a tooltip on an input field and have to tap the field twice to enter it on iOS Safari. If I remove the tooltip from the input field, this doesn't happen. I am using the tooltips/trigger them via manual JS call, so they're not working just via hover (when the page loads, I am initially disabling the tooltips via JS then calling them when the user tries to click on another field without entering info the first). But should I just disable tooltips altogether for mobile via media queries?

    submitted by /u/malvin77
    [link] [comments]

    How do you know when to use javascript/css/html

    Posted: 15 Mar 2019 07:47 AM PDT

    Hi all! Im new into devwlopment and after learning the basics I saw you can use any of the three mentioned above to do the same thing. How do you know witch one is better?

    submitted by /u/ImSeriious
    [link] [comments]

    Are blobs in memory objects or can you stream them?

    Posted: 15 Mar 2019 11:13 AM PDT

    I'm trying to read data from the HTTP cache as a blob, and then stream them to an API that supports blob uploads.

    The issue is that the data in the cache might be huge. Like 5-10MB ... What I'm thinking about doing is using the cache API to get a cached blob of the data then upload it to the remote via the blob API and hopefully it's not read into memory.

    The blob API supports slices.

    Any thoughts here?

    submitted by /u/brainhack3r
    [link] [comments]

    Specific goal in mind, what languages do I need to learn? File hosting, logins etc.

    Posted: 15 Mar 2019 10:35 AM PDT

    I've read through the FAQ and rules before posting this -

    I'm currently on the path of learning to become a web developer, however, to keep myself interested, I have a few goals in mind.

    I have a basic grasp of HTML and am currently learning CSS to beautify my (future) website. I already have a domain and will be hosting locally on my pc.

    However, with my goals, I am unsure what I actually need to learn to accomplish this:

    I want to be able to host my own files, and for videos / images, a preview onto my website (first step). But I would also like to be able to remotely upload files as well as download (FTP? second step.). After this, a way to authorize users (login system?) to enable friends to use this system.

    So, I guess in short, a secure enough way to centralize my friends' and mine inventory of videos, picture and just general files. I'll be looking into securing the server from accessing the rest of my computer, but for now, I'm on CSS.

    Unless someone has a better idea, my plan is to go for JavaScript after CSS. And I'm working on my website alongside learning the languages.

    Any help or tips & tricks are greatly appreciated!

    Mods: I'm hopeful this does not break the rules of the subreddit, I've tried searching, however, reddit's search is god awful and I probably missed things.

    submitted by /u/iheartzigg
    [link] [comments]

    Bootstrap 4.3.1 Crash Course 2019

    Posted: 15 Mar 2019 01:41 PM PDT

    Finding Appropriate Developers

    Posted: 15 Mar 2019 09:53 AM PDT

    Hey all,

    Wanting some advice on how to go about sourcing potential dev. partners.

    Background:
    B2B Service Company I work for is looking at redoing our website. We operate in an industry with deep product lines (500+ products requiring pretty detailed profiles), and would need a good amount of customization. Basically building large-database website from ground up with UX thinking brought into design.
    The Challenge:
    I'm noticing I'm having a hard time sourcing a decent number of quality partners. I've only got about 3-5 along with the incumbent developer.

    I'm either getting results for the big name ad agencies (likely out of price range & who focus more on design vs. seo/lead gen), or vendors who mass produce templated sites for small business.

    Obviously do the google search route, also tried to identify 'top website developer' lists, searches by in geographic region, and searching by date.

    Also tried Behance sorting through filters (country - Canada, web development) with very little luck. Appears only a small number having experience with companies similar sized, and most were only Wed Design side of things for an ad agency.

    The Question

    Any advice on where to expand my search to?

    Should I expand my search to freelance/independent developers? (my fear with that is they tend to focus on small biz, vs. experience with mid-large size organizations like ours who have massive databases.)

    submitted by /u/bennyhbk
    [link] [comments]

    Disable Submit Button after Click - GoDaddy

    Posted: 15 Mar 2019 09:52 AM PDT

    I have not be able to figure out how godaddy does this, when you click submit to login to your account, they show a cancel sign over the submit button and dont even allow enter on the keyboard to register.

    I have an issue with a form that users are submitting multiple times, my only solution at this point is to create a new table that creates a random number and attaches it to a date, if that exists in the database, send an error, if it does not exist, submit the form.

    But seems there may be an easier front end solution? This is an internal app so not worried about having uses fuck with javascript

    submitted by /u/TuffRivers
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment