• Breaking News

    Thursday, February 28, 2019

    Interview Discussion - February 28, 2019 CS Career Questions

    Interview Discussion - February 28, 2019 CS Career Questions


    Interview Discussion - February 28, 2019

    Posted: 27 Feb 2019 11:05 PM PST

    Please use this thread to have discussions about interviews, interviewing, and interview prep. Posts focusing solely on interviews created outside of this thread will probably be removed.

    Abide by the rules, don't be a jerk.

    This thread is posted each Monday and Thursday at midnight PST. Previous Interview Discussion threads can be found here.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    AMA Announcement - Indeed Prime Coaches Wed. March 6th 2pm EST

    Posted: 28 Feb 2019 11:01 AM PST

    On Wednesday March 6th at 2pm we will be hosting an AMA with the career coaches at Indeed Prime, and the purpose of this AMA is to answer any questions that will help with your job search.

    From the Indeed Prime team:

    Since we work on a platform dedicated to helping people find jobs in the tech space, we are often asked to help with resume edits/formatting, interview prep, and offer negotiations. We want to share what we know with you! Whether you are considering a career in CS, are still in school, or are a new grad, ask us anything!

    Joining us: • u/SharonaCL - Sharon Clutario: I have over 10 years of experience as a full cycle recruiter and career coach with a strong background working in the staffing, IT, BPO, and RPO industries. I specialize in resume optimization, offer negotiations, interview prep, and helping job seekers maximize their digital footprint in order to elicit more employer contacts. LinkedIn: linkedin.com/in/sharonclutario/

    • u/Clint_C - Clint Carrens: I specialize in resume reviews, networking strategies, interview preparation, and negotiation techniques. Previously, I spent 5 wonderful years in higher education, having served as a residence director, instructor, and career advisor. LinkedIn: linkedin.com/in/clintcarrens/

    u/Jamie_Brt - Jamie Birt: I help job seekers navigate the job search. I conduct mock interviews, help with offer evaluations, resume revisions and salary negotiation. My specialities include helping software engineers, UX/UI designers, DevOps, and data scientist candidates in realizing their talents and passions. LinkedIn: linkedin.com/in/jamie-birt/

    submitted by /u/fecak
    [link] [comments]

    What's the obsession with personal projects?

    Posted: 28 Feb 2019 08:33 AM PST

    I have about 7 months of full time research experience in high performance computing, the first thing recruiters yesterday ask is "what are your recent personal projects?" After I explain my research experience.

    I also worked at a prestigious company in my area.

    Why? Why does the thing I spent 10-20 hours on matter more to recruiters than the things I've spent hundreds of hours on, working with faculty etc? Is it to prove that on top of working full time I'll throw away all my remaining time sitting at a computer typing?

    Edit- some troll called me out for not wanting to code 24/7 then deleted his account. Lol

    submitted by /u/glekglekglek
    [link] [comments]

    An entry level SDE position posted on linkedin has 995 applicants in 2 weeks

    Posted: 28 Feb 2019 09:46 AM PST

    Jr. Software Engineer (Javascript/Angular/React/Vue) by Kore1

    How???

    submitted by /u/eatsomeonion
    [link] [comments]

    Recruiter wants to bring me on as lead, I was hoping for senior. Tips for negotiation?

    Posted: 28 Feb 2019 03:55 AM PST

    I started my career in Data Science but ended up doing more architectural work (which I like) so I decided to pivot to Data Engineer. I have about 6 years experience working with big data platforms as an individual contributor, not management.

    I (finally) had a successful interview and was expecting to come on at a Senior level. However it seems that the recruiter is pushing me towards a lead role.

    I'm not at a point in my career where I want to be a 'lead' for a few reasons. Also this team I am applying for is still evolving and the current lead did not seem the happiest to be in his position when I was interviewing. Part of me is even kind of wondering if I'm being baited to replace him so he can get back to doing more of the heads down work he mentioned he liked to do.

    I plan to just be straightforward and tell the recruiter I want a senior role, even if it pays less etc. Is this a big faux pas? Any tips on how to best handle this situation?

    submitted by /u/VegetableExplorer
    [link] [comments]

    Recruiter ghosted after I got offer

    Posted: 28 Feb 2019 11:55 AM PST

    I was interviewing for a company through a recruiter and they told me they wanted to hire me. The recruiter sent me an email asking me to confirm some stuff and she responded that she'll call me the next day. Well its been 10+ days now and I haven't heard from them, I tried emailing and calling to get in touch but they are not responding. Is there anything I can do about this?

    submitted by /u/Storm-Spirit
    [link] [comments]

    Hired's 2019 State of Software Engineers has been published [Link in comments]

    Posted: 28 Feb 2019 01:48 PM PST

    https://hired.com/page/state-of-software-engineers/

    Interesting thing to note about bootcamps:

    The tide is slowly shifting as coding bootcamps are getting the workforce job-ready, with 13% of survey respondents saying they have participated in a bootcamp, and 76% of those saying it helped prepare them for a software engineering job. While some employers are hesitant to hire developers with bootcamp-only coding experience, 57% of employers say they would hire a bootcamp grad for an open role, suggesting there's room to grow and an opportunity for bootcamp grads to gain full-time employment.

    submitted by /u/gerradisgod
    [link] [comments]

    How difficult is it to be a independent app developer and just have your own income through that?

    Posted: 28 Feb 2019 07:54 PM PST

    I wanted to build an app and get revenue through ads. I always dreamed of being my own boss but I have no idea if this is a sustainable thing. Or if I would need to make multiple apps to make a decent living...

    submitted by /u/nobiCumkonobi
    [link] [comments]

    Recently started as a software engineer but I don't really have the chops. What tech jobs could a guy like me seek and be good at?

    Posted: 28 Feb 2019 07:41 PM PST

    So I just started as a software engineer at a mid size company. I did OK in school, got a comp sci degree with a 3.0 exactly, I did struggle with Data Structures and AI tho I'm pretty good at math and did well enough in my other CS classes. I like to code but no I don't love it nor did I do hackathons, etc. in school.

    At my current spot, I don't think I'm going to last. What jobs that use or at least whose postings require/prefer a CS degree could/should I shoot for?

    submitted by /u/johnsky3
    [link] [comments]

    Couldn't get an Internship lined up for this summer. Advice?

    Posted: 28 Feb 2019 08:54 AM PST

    I have 8 months of experience. My last Internship was at Shopify. I applied to a lot of places and started early.
    I had interviews at google, Microsoft and Amazon but I couldn't knock the ball out of the park on any of my interviews unfortunately :/
    Now I think it may be too late to actually get an internship lined up. Do you have any advice or know of companies that are still looking (preferably with canadian offices, even more ideally Toronto). If that doesnt work out. What are some suggestions on what I can do to get ahead this summer?

    submitted by /u/xXxwiskersxXx
    [link] [comments]

    Passing the HR screen and ATS

    Posted: 28 Feb 2019 04:59 PM PST

    Hi everyone, I have about six months of SWE experience, and I am starting to pass the HR resume screening to start initial process for interviews. I know this because I just wanted to test the waters so I sent out my resume to.around 150 companies and got around 8 replies, mostly from big companies. However, i dont feel particularly ready for some interviews bc i was only testing the waters. Lets say six months down the line, i decided to apply again after i failed an interview the first time. Could I expect to be able to get another phone interview for the same position? Have I passed the resume screening for good at these companies and can I now assume that these companies would be willing to start interview process with me again every six months or so? What has been your experience about this situation? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/MinimumAirport
    [link] [comments]

    Career fair in one week and no portfolio, is it worth it to go?

    Posted: 28 Feb 2019 10:21 AM PST

    I'm a Junior pursuing a bachelor's in Computer Information Systems, but I haven't built myself a programming portfolio yet. Frankly, I'm intimidated by it. There is apparently a career fair going on at my college next week and it leads me to a few questions.

    Is it even worth it for me to attend without a portfolio and no field related work experience?

    When is someone "career fair ready "?
    Should I just obsessively try to build a portfolio within the upcoming week and hope for the best?

    Edit: Thanks everyone for saying to go for it anyways, I think I will be attending and at least seeing the career options in my area :)

    submitted by /u/May_be_a_panda
    [link] [comments]

    Brand Name Vs Position

    Posted: 28 Feb 2019 06:58 PM PST

    What would you all say is the better choice?

    I could get a cleared job at a brand name company (non defense) as a Software Engineer In Test. It's mainly test automation with Python. This company pays way more than my current company and the name looks good on a resume.

    The other choice is a Software Engineer at a small company. Pays a little less since it's not brand name but it's development. This still is more than what I get now - just not as much as the brand name company in test.

    Right now, I'm a Software Engineer as a decent large defense company. As of now, I have 2 yrs of SE experience.

    I love development and the only reason I would take the brand name company is either to move into development there (idk how that would work since I'd be in a cleared lab) or to get the name on my resume for a year or two and apply elsewhere (and hopefully get back into development).

    What would you do?

    submitted by /u/w-ork-g-uy-912
    [link] [comments]

    Boss takes me aside today. Don't

    Posted: 28 Feb 2019 06:39 PM PST

    So a little background. I started my first 'programming job' close to one month ago. A lot of my onboarding so far is just learning with very little work that provides value to the company. So three days ago I choke on a minor but simple mistake, which ended up being an easy 40 second fix. It was a based on networking, which I am just learning. My boss ends up not being pleased. I mentioned to him later that I was just a little stressed (due to personal issues which I didn't disclosed)

    Two days later, he pulls me aside. He basically says that with a masters that he figured that some of the nonprogramming concepts would come easier (we are a hardware startup and I do a lot of things nonprogamming related; hardware, PLC, electronics, etc), but my degree was mainly software focused. He was very kind about everything, but then asked "you have to decide if this is the right job for you", and said that this job will require a lot of self-study. I had a moment of honesty with him, close to tears that this point, explaining why some of the hardware is not an instantaneous learn.

    Near the end of it, the conversation was just general mentorship stuff, basically saying to not be so nervous, and ended it with "everyone here likes you and wants you to succeed".

    How screwed am I? This is my first tech job and I don't know how often these conversations come up, but usually I think that you have to decide if this job is for you is a kiss of death. Or maybe I'm just overreacting and he was trying to engage my commitment to the company?

    submitted by /u/jtd00123
    [link] [comments]

    Evaluating startup offer

    Posted: 28 Feb 2019 05:44 PM PST

    Hello,

    Got an offer for a UI/UX designer position. Will be about the 15th employee. Offered 120K base and 0.1% equity (closer to 0.05%). Have a product but no paying customers, but some who said they want to demo it. Couple million dollars in seed. I feel the equity is a bit of the small side. Wanted people's opinion on the offer. Fairly disappointed on equity, but want to know if I'm being reasonable or not.

    Have 2 YOE at big tech company (where I make north of 200k).

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/tommywommywom
    [link] [comments]

    First internship offer in the US - need help with offer terminology

    Posted: 28 Feb 2019 04:37 PM PST

    Hi!

    I've just received my first internship offer (in NYC!), and I'm really excited about it. I wanted to know if someone help me understanding some terms-

    1. Hourly pay: $45. Can I assume that it's a standard 40 hour work week? Or does this vary?
    2. Housing Assistance of $3000/mo. How does this work? Is it usually in the form of a reimbursement? Or if I find something cheaper, can I keep the difference? Same with a 'daily food allowance' of $40
    3. I've seen some posts here mention relocation allowances for interns. My offer doesn't specify any such thing, but is that something I can negotiate? It's obviously not very important, but flights would set me back around $400, and I'm pretty broke right now.

    Thanks for your help!

    submitted by /u/TerribleSpace7
    [link] [comments]

    Do software engineers code?

    Posted: 28 Feb 2019 08:20 PM PST

    I was a computer science major and my current job (in cyber security) has a lot of coding. I enjoy user stories, requirements, and many of the software engineering aspects. I don't want to code 8 hours/day so I began talking to a career advisor. I was told that software engineering might be a good fit since they don't normally code, but they need to understand the code and be able to plan/test. I had always thought software engineers also work coding most of the day. I was wondering if other software engineers have had this experience? Or if anyone else transitioned from a cs/coding job and had a different idea of what to look into?

    tl;dr: Looking to move on from a coding heavy job. Do software engineers code? Or any coders transition to jobs that are less focussed on writing code all day and have suggestions?

    submitted by /u/SilentStill705
    [link] [comments]

    What total compensation is fair for me?

    Posted: 28 Feb 2019 07:58 PM PST

    I live in bay area, working in Big N, with ~8 total years of experience - with 2 in Big N.

    I made $180k total compensation last year, and I will make $190k this year due to stock grants.

    Without giving too much away, I work on low-level OS components, and I am pretty skilled in this area.

    I feel am underpaid compared to my coworkers and new-grads. What do you think?

    submitted by /u/csthrowaway1819
    [link] [comments]

    At what point should one look for an internship/co-op?

    Posted: 28 Feb 2019 07:34 PM PST

    So I'm a community college student, about to graduate next year with my associate's degree in Computer Science and transfer to Virginia Tech to complete my BA. I was wanting to see if there are any others that have done this but managed to get some type of internship in the process? I know many universities have programs or people specified that help to secure co-ops and internships and VT specifically has said they encourage it ASAP, but is it realistic to get these opportunities while at a community college? Currently my programming experience has been with Python creating some basic programs (small number guessing games, formatting tables with data, etc.). I've only completed an introductory course, so obviously experience isn't all there yet. In the fall, I will be taking a course that introduces elementary data structures, structured programming concepts, algorithm/problem solving methods, and teaches Java.

    Note: I can see many posts on this subreddit that discuss things I haven't even heard of yet in the field, so I apologize for the "n00b" sounding post in advance.

    submitted by /u/scahutton
    [link] [comments]

    Is it possible to get a 50% remote position?

    Posted: 28 Feb 2019 11:51 AM PST

    I'm still early in my career as an SDE in the US right now. I know that I want to spend more time with my family (they live abroad) a few years down the line but I also want to work for a company in the US as a SDE.

    I thought it would be cool if there was a way I could work for 6 months at the HQ and then 6 months remotely abroad while I'm with family.

    Do remote jobs like these exist? Are they feasible for someone who has worked as an SDE for a few years?

    submitted by /u/briefcase_mickey
    [link] [comments]

    No Named Colleges

    Posted: 28 Feb 2019 06:53 PM PST

    Lets say I get accepted into a no named college, specifically listed at #7 best computer science school in Illinois on collegefactual.com (Idk how reputable that is but we'll use that to determine how well known that college is). Anyhow, how hard would it be to get internships at Big N, Unicorn or even Prop Trading firms around the Chicago area. Would going to a lesser known college set me back so much so that it will be very hard to intern or even in the future work for one of these companies? Sorry if this is an odd question, I've been coding for a bit, but I am trying to visualize my options in the future.

    submitted by /u/Spycii
    [link] [comments]

    Lacking motivation

    Posted: 28 Feb 2019 06:53 PM PST

    I had 2-3 interview calls, which I was not able to convert and almost rest of them have rejected me (~150). Should I just give up for internship and start building my profile for jobs after I am done with my masters or just continue applying to internship?

    submitted by /u/wolverine141194
    [link] [comments]

    Confused between offers (internship)

    Posted: 28 Feb 2019 06:53 PM PST

    I am a graduate student in Computer Science and and am confused among these 3 offers:

    a) Quantitative Researcher - small hedge fund (AUM - 100-300 million range)

    b) Amazon - software engineer

    c) Rakuten - ML

    My goal after graduation is to get a quant role in buy side. Although profile wise I definitely like a) but my dilemma is most likely they won't be giving a return offer.

    I want to ask which of the above would be good on the resume when I look for full time quant roles next year.

    Although b) has a big name factor (in tech sector), am not sure if it's reason enough to pick it over a). And not sure how much value would a) provide in resume when looking for full time role next year.

    would like to hear from someone who have transitioned SWE to quant (or the other way)

    submitted by /u/Gamblers-Ruin
    [link] [comments]

    Stay with current ML job or switch to FANG cloud services

    Posted: 28 Feb 2019 06:55 AM PST

    I currently work at a small company, working directly with ML. I like this job quite a lot as it is interesting and I actually get to do some research.

    Recently I've been offered a job at a FANG company, and the position is to help build a cloud service platform. This job is completely different from what I'm currently working on, and I think I might like it because it involves a lot of distributed computing stuff.

    Now the question is... A few people whom I've talked to seem confused as to why I want to give up a ML job for a FANG job, since ML jobs are actually quite rare apparently.

    Pro of going with FANG:

    • learning some distributed computing skills
    • looks good on resume
    • much better pay (potentially 50% more)

    Cons of going with FANG:

    • Potentially long work hours depending on team culture
    • I'm not really sure what my team is like and whether I will get along with them fine

    Pro of staying with ML:

    • ML jobs are hard to get
    • I like my current job

    Cons of staying with ML:

    • Paid much less
    • I've almost forgotten how to write a proper program

    Could some of you guys point out other pros and cons so I can choose my career path more easily?

    I'm thinking of accepting the offer, but I'm also afraid of not being able to touch ML ever again.

    submitted by /u/throwawaydevlska
    [link] [comments]

    Not so good full-time job at a new company vs. a better part-time job at my current company?

    Posted: 28 Feb 2019 11:18 AM PST

    Graduated college back in April. I've been working at my current job for two years now, in marketing part-time making $15/hr.

    I've been applying for jobs since roughly September (I know I should have applied earlier, but I had a long trip planned in the summer), and finally got an offer from another company. I accepted the offer, put in my two weeks, and talked a bit with my boss about the job. It's not a great company at all, but I'm basically taking it for the experience I'd get since I have no other options atm. My super cool boss went out of her way to set me up with the app dev team at my current company and can get me a part time gig working in app dev. The obvious choice would still be the full-time position, but both sides seem to have pros/cons and I can't figure out which is better.

    Going to the new job:

    Pros

    • Get to experience a new work environment
    • Get experience in web development
    • Slightly higher pay ($16/hr with a $1 raise every 3 months)
    • Full-time, including some benefits

    Cons

    • They seem fairly disorganized from what I've seen, and there have been some pretty scathing reviews on glassdoor about the place confirming some of my suspicions.
    • The owner is apparently batshit insane, and the company is pretty small so I'd imagine I will work with him pretty closely.
    • Mostly focused on front-end web development (HTML/CSS/JS/PHP) which is not exactly what I'm aiming for in my long term career
    • I'll have to do some kind of customer support work on top of web dev which I will likely hate

    Staying at my current company:

    Pros

    • Already know the company and people well enough
    • More organized & larger company (roughly 200 people)
    • Experience will likely be better for what I want to do (using C#/JS, Microsoft TFS, Git, unit testing, etc.)
    • Agile environment
    • Might look good to show movement within the same company, and could hold me over until I can find a better offer

    Cons

    • Not full time, and no added benefits
    • Pay would likely stay at $15/hr
    • I will be working 30-35 hours per week within a 1000 hour yearly limit, meaning I'd have to move on to a new job in 6-8 or so months before I hit that limit
    • Still would have to dedicate a chunk of my time to doing marketing work. I'd essentially be half app dev, half marketing designer.

    Curious what you guys think of this, as unbiased readers.

    Edit: I have no industry experience at all, by the way. I've been in marketing for the last two years and prior to that had shitty minimum wage jobs. So I'd assume experience is very important here for my future growth.

    submitted by /u/thebagelslinger
    [link] [comments]

    Data analysts, what do you look at when you get a new database to work with?

    Posted: 28 Feb 2019 06:15 AM PST

    My boss assigned me to a new project. He told me to look over and familiarize myself with the data before I do anything. What exactly should I be doing? I've looked at the table and columns and the descriptions of them. A whole day seems excessive for that, so should I be looking at other stuff within the database?

    submitted by /u/Jacob_wallace
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment