• Breaking News

    Thursday, January 31, 2019

    How to get good at programming (actually) learn programming

    How to get good at programming (actually) learn programming


    How to get good at programming (actually)

    Posted: 31 Jan 2019 02:53 AM PST

    I've been coding for five years or so, am generally regarded as good. But I never thought so. It just occurred to me how to get really good, top .1% good. To get there, you need to be exposed to good well written and architected code. The issue is that in the majority of jobs, none of the code is good (not top .1% good). But the trick is that github is full of amazing programmers open sourcing their work. Forking a repository and using it as the base for your next side project or startup is the best way to skill up bar none. You learn to navigate code, as you add code you're forced to understand why they wrote the code in the way they did. You're exposed to whatever technologies they are using, as well as language features. It's an extremely efficient way to become an expert in that technology, youre effectively being taught by them. The key is to find these projects.

    submitted by /u/codeslingingslave
    [link] [comments]

    How unique should your code be?

    Posted: 31 Jan 2019 06:11 PM PST

    I am pretty new to python. Ive went through a few hours of tutorials and just decided to plunge myself head-on into making a program, obviously following a tutorial during this as well. I have been making a game and found myself really enjoying it, but I've been deviating a decent amount from the tutorial to put my own spin on the game. I follow the same basic controls and loops throughout, but am changing things like graphics and texts. The thing I want to know is how 'different' should my code be from the original tutorial to where I can show someone and say this is MY program that I built. I love talking and being excited around others about what I am working on, but at the same time I dont want to feel like a fraud.

    submitted by /u/cm9317
    [link] [comments]

    Frustrated with half-assed knowledge

    Posted: 31 Jan 2019 09:45 PM PST

    I don't even know how to phrase this, but I'll try. I know Python, Java, C, Ruby, so it isn't about languages. I am just constantly bothered about not really understanding how the stuff I wrote on my IDE became 0's and 1's and how that produced what I asked the computer to produce. All I know about registers is that registers exist, all I know about the OS is that it works with stacks, I'm not too sure. I don't have an intuitive understanding of how servers work, how the stuff I'm submitting to my department's server really reaches there. I want to know where to start knowing. These do get in the way of coding, because when I'm doing memory allocation in C I really feel the need to imagine the bigger picture of memory inside the computer.

    Edit: For those who feel this is a big undertaking, I am not looking for too nuanced details. Just an overall idea of the big picture, enough to trace what happens to code on the way to memory and back. Any recommendations?

    submitted by /u/smellslikekeenspirit
    [link] [comments]

    I am looking for good foundation book similar to edx course "How to Code: Simple Data"

    Posted: 31 Jan 2019 10:07 PM PST

    Hello.

    I am looking for a book similar to edx course How to Code: Simple Data and later courses.

    For those who don't know about the course. I did the first 4-5 weeks and it teaches how to start with a problem, how to write functions (example: state what function does, what parameter it accepts, what it returns etc.) and so on.

    The problem is that I find video format incredibly boring and I can't even watch 10 minutes of videos in one session so I have plateud using EDX.

    I would like a book (or multiple books) (or ebook, or online text non-video course), with excercises, that would cover this course and preferably other courses from same MicroMaster program.

    I am currently employed as backend / frontend developer using NodeJS (javascript).

    Book can be in written for any programming language.

    submitted by /u/trinzomodan
    [link] [comments]

    Running two different versions of Python at the same time

    Posted: 31 Jan 2019 07:51 PM PST

    I currently have Python 3.7 installed on my laptop, but I want to use 3.6.4 in order to play around with a Discord bot. I am told I can use both versions at the same time, but have absolutely no idea on how to do this? Does anyone know how I can achieve this? Thank you in advance.

    EDIT: I use VS Code.

    submitted by /u/P00P34
    [link] [comments]

    Programming certs

    Posted: 31 Jan 2019 05:38 PM PST

    I like programming but my current employer REQUIRES certifications every year any advice for a certification that would be useful and fun to pursue related to programming. most they have suggested are related to azure or aws which is cool but very boring and I cant handle the amount of mundane content I would have to memorize.

    submitted by /u/gman5495
    [link] [comments]

    Favorite books/github links for learning up-to-date CSS?

    Posted: 31 Jan 2019 10:27 AM PST

    Hello,

    The only HTML/CSS book that I've read is Wiley's HTML & CSS book by Jon Duckett, which was a very well-designed book. It taught me a lot, but I understand there have been three more CSS snapshots since this book has been written. I feel like my knowledge from this Jon Duckett book is quite out dated (From 2011).

    Does anybody have a recommendation as to a good learning book for CSS that was written after the most recent CSS snapshot in 2018? Or at least one that was written after the 2017 snapshot? CSS grid?

    If anyone has other ideas/ methods of how it would be useful to learn, feel free to share!

    Thanks,

    Jordan

    submitted by /u/weavermjordan
    [link] [comments]

    Scripting? Where to start?

    Posted: 31 Jan 2019 11:39 AM PST

    Hey guys, I have a CS Degree but I haven't actually coded in a while so I feel rusty, out of my element, and a bit overwhelmed as to where to start with coding again. I feel like scripting would be a good place to jump back in. I have a few tasks I want to get done that I feel I could get done through writing a few scripts. I want to write a script that pings a certain website every 10 or so minutes and exports the log into an excel spreadsheet so I can graphically see what hours of the day the website is slowest after running it for a few days. The other more involved task that I'd like to try to automate is downloading information from a few different csv files and populate a new spreadsheet with the information organized in a way that's actually useful.

    I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough! Please let me know if I should elaborate on anything.

    It sounds simple enough but I'm just not sure where to start. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

    submitted by /u/Sgtpwner
    [link] [comments]

    Good software for a group of students to learn/collaborate in education?

    Posted: 31 Jan 2019 09:35 PM PST

    I'm trying to connect my peers together so that we can chat/organize study groups/ask questions and show code to each-other.

    At the moment I've been trying to get a bunch of my classmates into one big Discord channel so that we can communicate easier. I'm wondering if anyone had any better suggestions instead of Discord.

    My school has a solution like moodle or blackboard, but it seems pretty shit so far and no one is using it. I think they would be more comfortable on a "private" group like Discord can do. However it seems like the features of Discord are more tailored towards games, and that it could get in the way of what I imagine a truly studious group-chat software can do.

    So, any suggestions?

    submitted by /u/PyS-C
    [link] [comments]

    Please advise with converting docx template to pdf with java

    Posted: 31 Jan 2019 05:32 PM PST

    Hi all,

    I am working on a webapp where I need to populate some values in a docx template and then convert it into a pdf. My colleague who has tried this before said that it was a damn nightmare to do this because as soon as she made the smallest of changes(add a space or change the heading) to the docx template, the pdf generation would break with many of the values not being populated and she would waste hours figuring out the problem. And now she's afraid of getting a new requirement for the template because it takes hours to just change a heading!

    So far,she hasnt been able to figure out why this happens. Now its upto me to finish it so before starting was wondering if anyone here more experienced could advise me on why this is happening and how to fix it? Also would be interested to know if there are better ways/libraries to accomplish this?

    The app is based on Java 7, spring and the pdf generation method is using XDocReport from opensagres with the Velocity template engine.

    Thanks! :)

    submitted by /u/henry12345_54321
    [link] [comments]

    I find I only learn by doing, so I'd like to start making a text based adventure game playable in web browsers. Which languages would be best to start with?

    Posted: 31 Jan 2019 12:43 PM PST

    I am familiar with HTML and CSS and passingly so with JavaScript. I believe those to be the ones that I'd need, but I also wanted to ask just in case.

    Is there perhaps a tutorial on how to begin making something like this? I figured it'd be a simple way for me to begin really coding. (I've taken college courses but nothing stuck with me and I think it's because I mostly told what I can do without being asked to do it.)

    I appreciate any advice on this matter. Here are some ideas I have for it to help me test myself, please feel free to suggest other things I could try to implement as challenges.

    First I want a character generation. You make your character, give them a name, and as you play through the game that name will be used in other scenes. I don't know how to do that yet but I feel that will be super easy.

    I also want to add "Skills" where the character has say, 10 points to distrubit among five skills. An example would be climbing. Then upon coming up to a location that has a challenge skill check, the program would check what skills you have, check if you pass, and then provide a different scene on a pass or fail. Again, from what I remember of my college courses this should be pretty simple for someone familiar with the languages and not too hard for a beginner to learn.

    One of the bigger projects I'd like to do is your character can build a village, by collection villagers from around the game their village will have it's own stats increased and once milestones happen scenes or stores or what have you are unlocked.

    I'd also like to become ambitious and do a monters taming/combat element but one of my weaknesses is conceptualizing numbers. Making RPG maker games was always difficult for me when it came time to generate my own enemies.If anyone knows of any tutorials touching on that subject I'd love to hear about it.

    Honestly, I think I'm manic depressive because there are days like today when I'm insanely motivated and other days where I just want to curl up and die, but I know the more I get done on these days the better I feel long term and I want to turn it into dedication, commitment and discipline so even on the bad days I work and make myself better. I want to make a better life for myself and part of that will be learning a skill such as making games where I can be creative and also have a career.

    Thank you all so much for reading this and if non of you even read this, then I'm still glad I did it because just writing all this out gives me my own road map for what skills I need to research and generate. I love you all and I wish you all the best in your own projects!

    submitted by /u/Keypaw
    [link] [comments]

    What technologies would be nice to have on your CV when you apply for a job?

    Posted: 31 Jan 2019 12:30 PM PST

    I am talking about things such as Git. Preferably easy to learn technologies that although not a must, can separate you from other applicants and increase your chances of getting hired.

    submitted by /u/AlbertoVilches1
    [link] [comments]

    How can I make a .exe that opens cmd line and inputs a one line string?

    Posted: 31 Jan 2019 11:23 AM PST

    I am trying to make a .exe that will open cmd and input jupyter notebook and then hit enter when I click that .exe. Any tips on how to start this?

    Or any file format, just for personal use

    submitted by /u/YZYog
    [link] [comments]

    What is the best way to learn writing unit tests (TDD)?

    Posted: 31 Jan 2019 11:45 PM PST

    I was suggested to write unit tests to catch some sneaky bugs in my code. I code in Java and Android, and would like to know the best way to learn about unit testing. I don't just want to watch a YT video about it. I want to know the "why" and a deep understanding of the "how" and "when" of unit testing.

    Is the best way videos, courses or books? I have picked up " Test Driven: TDD and Acceptance TDD for Java Developers " and would like to know if that was a good choice.

    submitted by /u/BigBootyBear
    [link] [comments]

    How would I be able to code a custom header in visual studio code?

    Posted: 31 Jan 2019 11:23 PM PST

    By custom header I mean the header at the top of your program that obviously has the title, the close application button, formally known as X. The minimise, etc, you get the point. I would just like to make a kind of dark theme version of the basic one but also shrink it down so it doesn't take up nearly as much space as it does. I would probably say I would love it kind of like the Discord program header. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/SugmaNuts
    [link] [comments]

    Offering programming help / discussion on Discord for anyone interested.

    Posted: 31 Jan 2019 07:37 PM PST

    Hey guys,

    I'll keep it brief, but essentially I'm offering to help people out with learning to program, career stuff. I like to think I have quite a bit of stuff to teach people ranging from completely new, to beginner, to intermediate. Hell, even if you're a mid-level / senior eng. add me anyway we can still chat - I like learning too.

    I'm not trying to really make a group, or a discord for learning - there are plenty but rather actually focusing on helping the people I can and perhaps even like a structured feedback or path moving forward instead of me just being a slightly easier to use search engine.

    Please PM me your level if you're interested here's my languages

    SQL ( MySQL ), Java, Python

    some JavaScript / HTML / CSS ( LESS ), bunch of other tools like Jenkins, RabbitMQ, etc.

    Looking forward to chatting with some people and helping out however I can! :D

    submitted by /u/Drunken_Consent
    [link] [comments]

    Should a complete novice apply for a job?

    Posted: 31 Jan 2019 07:29 PM PST

    So I've been (attempting) to learn programming since high school. Currently I work with a company called Stripe, and turns out their hiring for integration engineers in San Fransisco. It seems like I could qualify for it, but I feel like I'd get there and not know what to do or how to prove myself. Is it just nerves and I should do it anyways and see what happens?

    submitted by /u/CurlyBlockHead
    [link] [comments]

    [homework] Computer architecture, Amdahl's Law

    Posted: 31 Jan 2019 10:46 PM PST

    This is probably a very basic question but I'm having trouble with part B of this question. If you're just trying to minimize cost, wouldn't the answer just be 0 (or 1)? That's probably not the correct answer so I tried setting the speedup equation equal to the percentage increase in cost per additional FPU and trying to find the point where the two expressions are equal. Is this the correct approach? Or would I have to consider the difference between speedups or something? I'm not exactly sure how to approach this question. Also sorry if this isn't the right place for this question, let me know if there's somewhere else I should post it.

    submitted by /u/totallyrealaccount98
    [link] [comments]

    [C++] Initializing member variables best practices

    Posted: 31 Jan 2019 10:45 PM PST

    I usually initialize my class member variables in the header file like so

    class Foo { public: Foo(); ~Foo(); private: int x = 0; }; 

    Unless the constructor takes parameters, then I'll use an initializer list. However I just learned about uniform initialization. Which AFAIK looks like this

    class Foo { public: Foo(); ~Foo(); private: int x { 0 }; }; 

    So what is considered best practice here when initializing member variables? Again if I was passing them in through a paramatized constructor, then I would just use an initializer list, but otherwise, what do you suggest for DEFAULT VALUES

    submitted by /u/GunnDawg
    [link] [comments]

    GraphQL with Relational databases

    Posted: 31 Jan 2019 10:45 PM PST

    I wanted to know that how does graphql process the queries with a relational database, is it by assuming (or conversion of) the sql as a nosql database?

    submitted by /u/aj201812
    [link] [comments]

    Add watermark for the code in python

    Posted: 31 Jan 2019 10:45 PM PST

    I am writing a slack bot in python. My teams wants this to be shared to some diff teams. As there is my hardwork involved, I don't feel ashamed adding a watermark (not sure on terminology here) like on pictures.

    Any idea how I can do that ?

    submitted by /u/chjassu
    [link] [comments]

    Complete beginner to programming, what is the best way/technique/courses to start with?

    Posted: 31 Jan 2019 10:36 PM PST

    Preferably free of charge, but wouldn't mind paying a bit for better quality education?

    submitted by /u/gassybierhaus
    [link] [comments]

    Workplace uses MS Access and VBA code from the 90s for facilities management. How should I revamp this?

    Posted: 31 Jan 2019 10:24 PM PST

    I was just tasked with the responsibility of revamping several facilities management systems for our lab which includes test equipment (condition and calibration status log) and test sample (receiving, location, and status).

    The current system runs off of MS access and VBA code from the 90s. In short, users have the ability to populate a form and the MS access database is updated. Users can also generate reports based on a variety of parameters like dates, model, and manufacturer. Reminders are also sent out when something like a calibration is due.

    My current plan is to selectively strip the features that are no longer relevant to the company and rewrite the programs using something more future proof.

    Which programming languages would you recommend using to perform this task?

    I would love to take this opportunity to develop my own programming knowledge. In the past, I played around with C++, VBA on excel, and MATLAB.

    If doing the job properly requires me to learn a new programming language or interface, please let me know. I enjoy challenges!

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/chasinthedra
    [link] [comments]

    When is it time to learn a new language?

    Posted: 31 Jan 2019 10:04 PM PST

    I've been learning c++ for the past 2 or 3 months now and I don't know whether to continue on and extend my knowledge or to learn a new and different language. For now, I've been trying to make games using c++ and I've been trying to learn SDL. I've been thinking of learning java or c#. So what should I do? Sorry if this is a noob question or if it is frequently asked...

    submitted by /u/soulliom1021
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment