• Breaking News

    Monday, December 31, 2018

    Want to explore using Wii Mote for input. How do I get started exploring what exactly it is talking about with my PC? Ask Programming

    Want to explore using Wii Mote for input. How do I get started exploring what exactly it is talking about with my PC? Ask Programming


    Want to explore using Wii Mote for input. How do I get started exploring what exactly it is talking about with my PC?

    Posted: 31 Dec 2018 11:15 AM PST

    I'm definitely punching above my weight class here, but is there a "simple" tool that will help me explore what kind of signals my Wii Mote is exchanging with my macbook once it's paired?

    Sort of like www.keycode.info does. I'm not sure what I'd like to do with this info yet, but I'm trying to get into more creative IoT type programming experiments.

    submitted by /u/Downvotes-All-Memes
    [link] [comments]

    Caching Implementation

    Posted: 31 Dec 2018 07:49 PM PST

    I'm currently working on a Node API (Restify), using Redis as a caching layer. I had what could possibly be a smart idea, but I've never heard of it being done.

    The idea is this:

    I want to set up the API to always return a result from Redis; instead of having caches expire, I want to set up a timestamp to let me know a cache is officially "stale", and return a result from Redis, but have the API continue doing the call and store the result in Redis so the cache is no longer stale at that point.

    I foresee a few problems:

    1. The cache should be set to expire eventually, or else we will run out of memory.

    2. If the data changes, we would either have to replicate the call, or just invalidate the cache. The latter is significantly easier but kinda screws with the idea of "always Redis".

    3. If a call is for multiple points of data (say, a playlist of songs w/ song info), and one of the points of data changes, trying to update just that one point of data would be incredibly difficult, since it could be in Redis several times as part of different calls.

    The biggest benefit is a near-instant return for all API calls as long as they have been made at some point in the past.

    So, is this a rabbit hole I should go down? Or should I abandon ship?

    submitted by /u/mattstoicbuddha
    [link] [comments]

    Which development environment to create interactive application for a terminal with touchscreen

    Posted: 31 Dec 2018 04:02 AM PST

    For the company I work for I have to develop an application where people can scroll through and buy photos using a touchscreen terminal. The current version uses single touch and your finger is like a mouse. You press/click on a button for scrolling to the next/previous page for instance, making it a dull desktop interface application. There is a need to update it so people can swipe through the photos, pinch to zoom, just like we are used to it on a mobile device. The current software has been developed in C# and runs on Windows. It should also be possible to animate objects (screen transitions, move photos around etc) and possible other rich visuals.

    I'm looking for possibilities to develop the new version for this terminal and is has to run on Windows. I'll explain why. A coin acceptor is connected to the terminal so people can insert coins (duh) to buy the photo. There is an SDK for this acceptor but it's only for .Net. There are not enough resources to develop a custom ccTalk SDK for this device in an other programming language. I've tried to use a Python ccTalk application to communicate with the acceptor, but couldn't get it to work. So for now I'm stuck with the .Net SDK.

    The new terminal screens are able to use multitouch and developing it on a 10inch android device is not an option (too small and the current hardware has to be used).

    I'm looking at several options:

    • Library/Framework for .Net (C#) that can be used to create nice fluent engaging interfaces with swipe, pinch zoom etc. Haven't found one yet other than using OpenGL (I have zero experience with OpenGL)
    • Using a game engine like Unity. I've written a small server/client library for the coin acceptor in C# and this library can be used in Unity to connect with (verified). Unity looks like a good framework to fulfill the animation wishes.
    • Develop the terminal software in Python and use the same server/client setup. Then use Kivy for the rich frontend interface

    Are there better options/libraries/development environments to develop the software with the requested features? I have experience with C#, Python, Golang, Javascript (and HTML/CSS).

    The application also has to connect to a database (preferably MySQL) but that's not a big problem for most languages. And it has to be able to connect to a ticket printer. Most of these printers offer drivers for Windows, setting it up as the default printer. So switching to non-Windows doesn't look like an option.

    submitted by /u/Somanynicks
    [link] [comments]

    Hello, I have a question. Is there a place to practice Python on a chrome book?

    Posted: 31 Dec 2018 05:06 PM PST

    Not to learn, but to do projects on it.

    submitted by /u/Flat_Earther3306
    [link] [comments]

    How should a high school entrepreneur/programmer spend his summer?

    Posted: 31 Dec 2018 12:23 PM PST

    I am a high school aspiring entrepreneur and programmer. In recent summers, I have attended boot camps and held a very small internship at an unestablished startup. This summer, I want to really translate my skills and do something of a higher degree.

    I have had trouble finding internships for high schoolers, since every major company requires you to be pursuing a college degree, nor have I been able to find many programs I could apply to where I can fully apply my skills or learn something to enhance what I have already learned.

    I am asking for advice not just for places I could look at(although that would be amazing), but also just general advice on what people think would benefit me the best during the summer given my position. Thank you!

    submitted by /u/dylansteck
    [link] [comments]

    Is there an infograph of all the data structure, sorting algorithms and their complexity time?

    Posted: 31 Dec 2018 11:37 AM PST

    Wondering if there's a good one floating around. If not, I was planning on making one and posting it.

    submitted by /u/djfreedom9505
    [link] [comments]

    Exchange Facebook accessToken for API JWT token with oAuth 2.0

    Posted: 31 Dec 2018 09:48 AM PST

    Hey, I recently added oAuth2.0 to my REST (using Spring Security oAuth2.0). I also have a mobile app with Facebook login where I'm getting accessToken. How my flow should now look like? I have service to create a user account in my system based on this facebook accessToken. How now my next requests to my API should look like? 1. Create an account for the user using FB accessToken if not exists. 2. Get API access token using [POST] /oauth/token and grant_type: 'Authorization Code' or other grant_type?

    submitted by /u/kubelke
    [link] [comments]

    I'm genuinely curious, why Apple does not take under the wing all decent coding apps and developers to further advance their devices to be adopted by serious developers? Why there are no advances in this area?

    Posted: 31 Dec 2018 01:41 AM PST

    I'm talking about Working Copy, Blink, C# Continuous IDE, Pythonista, Coda, some other applications I don't know, etc.

    I mean this would take the huge part of market, being able to code on the go with full capacities, not only imitate coding.

    I see many developers in the iPhone iPad subreddits are willing to switch, but not doing so because right now iOS devices is kinda glorified ssh terminals.

    submitted by /u/IDCh
    [link] [comments]

    How to use typed.js library with a running script in python flask web-app

    Posted: 31 Dec 2018 05:17 AM PST

    I have some text which is generated after some time of running my script. I would like to use the typed.js library and print it as if it is being "typed".

    As of now, I have my text printed simply as

    <p class="log"> <span> {{ output }} </span> </p> 

    How can I employ the typed.js library here?

    Any suggestions?

    submitted by /u/ZER_0_NE
    [link] [comments]

    Saving text input directly into png image from keyboard?

    Posted: 31 Dec 2018 07:06 AM PST

    Like imessage and gboard have the ability to send hand drawn images directly from the keyboard, how would you go about doing this but for text "drawn" to the image instead of a hand drawing?

    submitted by /u/Maybe_WeAre
    [link] [comments]

    Adjusting images with python

    Posted: 31 Dec 2018 12:23 AM PST

    Hey guys, I'm having trouble wrapping my head around how to adjust the shadow and highlight exposures of an image programatically. The platform I'm working on is web and needs 2 sliders (one for increasing shadow exposure and one for decreasing highlights exposure). Can anyone please advise me as to what I actually need to process to make these adjustments? GMIC's interface has these sliders as seen in this forum https://gimpchat.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13360 however I can't figure out how to apply these same settings via a command. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/normal_human_adult
    [link] [comments]

    I have 1.5 years of time left before I finish college. What is the process I should be following from now to get a high paying programming job? (My current skills are mentioned below)

    Posted: 30 Dec 2018 11:11 PM PST

    OK. So, I have a requirement to get my first job just after I graduate from my college due to some family economic constraints. Before this I did programming for fun.

    I want it to be the best possible job I can get under my belt, preferably Data Scientist or Deep Learning Engineering jobs. It has to be high paying. I would prefer if anyone can guide me on what I can/should do.

    Here are some of the current points to consider:

    1. Time I can devote everyday for the next 1.5 years per day: 5 hrs/day.
    2. Country I live in: India
    3. Country I would like to work in: Doesn't matter. The money is the first priority now.
    4. Preferred jobs:

      1. Data Scientist
      2. Deep Learning
      3. Compilers
      4. GPGPU
    5. Not so Preferred Jobs (Doesn't matter if high paying): App Development & Web Development (Front-end / back-end both)

    My Current Skills (Before starting the journey):

    1. HTML/CSS/JavaScript/TypeScript: Very high. (Not exaggerating!)
    2. React/Vue: Very High. (Again, Not Exaggerating!)
    3. NodeJS: Medium-High
    4. C/C++: Medium (With OOP, functional programming and all)
    5. Algorithms: Low-Medium
    6. Machine Learning: Low (did a few algorithms)
    7. Python/Go/Rust: Low
    8. Git/VS Code/Compilers: Medium
    9. OpenCL: Medium

    I referred to this repo, Coding Interview University first but want to take a more focused path. A concise one.

    I would be very thankful if someone can take out time and guide me. Also, please tell me if there is any other online site/community I can ask this question.

    submitted by /u/himujjalU
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment