• Breaking News

    Monday, December 31, 2018

    Interview Discussion - December 31, 2018 CS Career Questions

    Interview Discussion - December 31, 2018 CS Career Questions


    Interview Discussion - December 31, 2018

    Posted: 30 Dec 2018 11:07 PM PST

    Please use this thread to have discussions about interviews, interviewing, and interview prep. Posts focusing solely on interviews created outside of this thread will probably be removed.

    Abide by the rules, don't be a jerk.

    This thread is posted each Monday and Thursday at midnight PST. Previous Interview Discussion threads can be found here.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Daily Chat Thread - December 31, 2018

    Posted: 30 Dec 2018 11:07 PM PST

    Please use this thread to chat, have casual discussions, and ask casual questions. Moderation will be light, but don't be a jerk.

    This thread is posted every day at midnight PST. Previous Daily Chat Threads can be found here.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    I trained an AI to generate /r/cscareerquestions post titles, and it said "I am a self-taught developer at big Income."

    Posted: 31 Dec 2018 01:28 PM PST

    Since another thread today was talking about certain trends in post titles, I figured it might be funny to train an AI on it (using textgenrnn) and the results are pretty indicative of the subreddit.

    Some highlights:

    How to go from senior devs that feeling like I'm the only way to do Our industry?

    Should I leave a CS graduate?

    Got the last mob job due to interviews?

    What is a reputation in an interview?

    Is it worth it to get a CS job?

    Does anybody have any experience with the job search?

    Does anyone else feel like a masters. What do I do?

    Is it worth it to get a job as a developer?

    I'm looking at a big company

    What makes a good manager salary bump in college?

    Best place to work in Career Fairs (Americans)

    Is it worth applying to many online coding challenges?

    Is it worth it to get a software job out of college?

    Is it worth taking a job in the field?

    PSA: I got a CS bachelors in CS and lack of job applications.

    Undergrad application process and I believe you enjoy it?

    I am a self-taught developer at big Income.

    Recruiter was just getting internships as a CS major?

    Graduating in December, American Salary

    Too early to be a software engineer?

    How do you deal with a day to day basis?

    Does anyone have any experience in the US?

    Just got a job offer after a company with a hackathon?

    Programmers who don't want to be a software engineer?

    First job out of college, and I have a bad boss... what can I do to get a job in the field?

    Can I apply for Full Time Jobs?

    Just got a raise before starting a new job?

    What's the best way to land a job in a nightmare

    More unused generated titles in this 5k title dump. (EDIT: bonus 5k titles!)

    Good ones from the dumps:

    How should I properly struggle?

    Should I quit my job to have a chance to give up

    Is it normal to not be doing anyone else?

    Does anyone fall in the future.

    Computer science vs ethical path?

    submitted by /u/minimaxir
    [link] [comments]

    What's your process for acquiring, developing and showcasing your programming/software engineering skills?

    Posted: 31 Dec 2018 06:41 AM PST

    Title pretty much says it all. How do you go from "I want to explore this" to "Oh so this is how it works" to "Look at this beautiful thing I made"

    submitted by /u/MuchOriginal22
    [link] [comments]

    With the new year approaching, what are some skills, tools, or technologies you are planning on teaching yourself in 2019?

    Posted: 31 Dec 2018 12:35 PM PST

    Just curious what everyone is planning on skilling up on in 2019. Could be something that you do at work or something you do on your own time or it could be nothing. I'd really like to hear what everyone has planned for 2019.

    submitted by /u/NullAndNil
    [link] [comments]

    Has an employer ever confronted you due to LinkedIn status?

    Posted: 31 Dec 2018 01:28 PM PST

    Have you ever been called out by management for having your profile set to open to opportunities or other status? How did it go down and what was the outcome?

    submitted by /u/Flaxz
    [link] [comments]

    Can we stop asking "low effort" and generic questions?

    Posted: 31 Dec 2018 06:11 AM PST

    Semi-rant and bit of advice bit:

    Stop asking the same questions as every other poster on this thread that happens several times a week. Whenever I see a thread titled [generic personal situation] + [generic opinion request/question] I just roll my eyes and move on. Spend time reading through this sub and the comments, planning your career takes time and research, and asking generic vanilla questions or for other peoples opinion demonstrates a lack of confidence which stems from one of two issues; your lack of critical thinking to judge the situation or lack of effort to research an answer.

    Now I'm not completely against these kinds of posts, they can serve a purpose, in that they can help give folks reassurance. Which can be great, but please if you're looking for reassurance or others opinions you should indicate as such in your post title. Also when you make your post demonstrate to us that you've done your own research and your own assessment of the situation because as most folks will tell you at the end of day only you can determine what the "right" choice is.

    As for folks looking to genuinely ask questions dont ask broad questions. Ex: Should I accept this offer? Or should I do this or that? Instead think about the final thing that would make you pick one option over the other and ask only that, I and many other folks here dont care about your generic career dilemma, for that you should consult family or friends or a life coach. In other words sell me on your question in one line, think if this like an interview, if you cant express the problem that succinctly then that means you haven't given the problem or presentation enough thought.

    TLDR: Do some research before asking a question, everyone has doubts when it comes to their careers and gaining the confidence to make career "moves" require research and self assessment.

    I'll leave off with the following bit of advice I used to give to interns: "Don't only ask or say there is problem or apologize for a mistake to the manager/boss, come with a solution or response and offer to fix the issue."

    submitted by /u/Casual_Casshern
    [link] [comments]

    On behalf of the mods -- Happy New Year!

    Posted: 31 Dec 2018 12:53 PM PST

    Happy New Year everyone!

    It's been a heck of a year for /r/cscareerquestions and we appreciate all of the 200k+ subs that are here.

    Thank you for the insightful posts, tips, the challenges to the status quo and the continued push for advances in the industry.

    Looking forward to 2019 and beyond as we see what happens next in our industry.

    submitted by /u/HackVT
    [link] [comments]

    What skills did you learn on the job as a software engineer/Product Manager that you did not know at first when you started your first job?

    Posted: 31 Dec 2018 12:30 PM PST

    I know that there are basic skills that everyone improves upon like communication, leadership, team-building, etc., but what other important skills did you guys learn on the job that people often do not talk about, but is so important?

    submitted by /u/lohugo
    [link] [comments]

    How much hourly pay to ask for, for CS first time internship?

    Posted: 31 Dec 2018 08:24 PM PST

    Hi all,

    I will be starting my first CS internship in the Summer of 2019 (Technically, Application Developer would be my title but the same kind of work), and the employer has asked me what the ideal hourly pay would be. I'm unsure on how to respond, as honestly there aren't many CS jobs in the area (Maine/New England area) and less so at the internship level. I've googled around and haven't found a concrete answer.

    Would appreciate some advice regarding this.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/asharahmed
    [link] [comments]

    Where can I start networking?

    Posted: 31 Dec 2018 11:25 AM PST

    I frequently see on this sub that networking is extremely important and it can be very hard to find an internship without it. After months of applying to hundreds of internships online with very little positive response, I've decided it might be best to try a different approach. My school has a few smaller job/internship fairs in the Spring so I'm thinking that may be my best bet, but what are my other options for networking?

    submitted by /u/Jalinja
    [link] [comments]

    How to motivate team members to learn something that is both new and difficult?

    Posted: 31 Dec 2018 08:00 AM PST

    I work for a segment of a large software firm that requires engineers to have a wide range of knowledge spanning dozens of products, but not production-level code. Our goal is to learn, build, and showcase these various products to customers. The team is young both in age and experience with few seasoned people to set an example.

    The products themselves have a wide range of technical proficiency requirements in order to talk to customers about them intelligently. Most of the team members are gravitating towards the easier products with few people truly diving in to learn the hardest ones.

    I have been given a role of team lead for the past few months and I'm trying to push people towards some of the more difficult products because at the moment I'm taking on a lot of work and responsibility that won't scale as the group sees more activity. Given that it takes a lot of time to bring people up to speed on putting together a basic piece of software that with multiple layers (front-end, back-end, database) on their own, my manager and I are trying to give people lighter tasks to get them introduced to the things they need to learn.

    My manager and I have noticed the same problem, though. Tasks which require the person to learn something that is both new and difficult aren't getting completed. I've spent hours with my team members explaining the design, how it works, and detailing the task to complete almost to the point where I'm writing step-by-step instructions on how to complete the task. I provide reading links, follow-up, documentation, and deadlines. Nevertheless, my team members seem to always come back with an excuse as to why they haven't finished something, and those reasons aren't always truthful. My manager and I get so frustrated that I end up just doing it myself after 2-3 weeks of people beating around the bush.

    The bottom line is that the tasks I have to give out are all some of the hardest ones to complete compared to other available work for the group, and the team members I'm given to work with aren't interested in having to put that much effort forth. Do you have any advice on how to light the spark in people? I'm starting to feel like my team lead at a previous company was right in saying that in regards to engineering "some people have it, and other people just don't," but I feel like there's something I'm not considering that would help.

    submitted by /u/loveisdead
    [link] [comments]

    Smime.p7s file and white (blank) jpg attached to hiring manager's email, is it a scam?

    Posted: 31 Dec 2018 07:41 PM PST

    Hi, just have a quick question.

    I submitted a resume through indeed.com (I'm aware it's scammy) and was contacted through the website by what I assume to be a hiring manager at the company. I checked on the company website and saw that the same listing was posted on their site too, so at least the position is real. The hiring manager asked when I was available to talk on the phone about my experience and the position, I sent him back a list of dates, he sent back a time and date he agreed with. Attached to that email is a smime.p7s file, and a white jpg. From quick googling, I saw that the p7s file is for encrypted emails/attachments, but even after opening it in outlook it is still a white image.

    I just want to know if this is a scam or not. The company itself asks for applicants that can acquire security clearances, and is a contractor for the Department of Defense (US), so it wouldn't be odd for them to have stringent security requirements. But the blank jpg is giving me the creeps.

    I should also add that I've never encountered this in an email before, so it's entirely possible I'm doing something wrong.

    Thank you for any answers, I'm also sorry if this isn't allowed in this sub, I just don't know where else to ask.

    submitted by /u/papisol
    [link] [comments]

    How to skill up in non-http networking protocols?

    Posted: 31 Dec 2018 03:51 PM PST

    Basically

    I'm fairly experienced with application building, but I know comparatively little about networking. Apologies if my question lacks specifics, but that's part of my problem. I guess my query has multiple parts:

    - I have something like the average working web developer's knowledge of http/https. What other kind of networking code (e.g. file transfer with UDP) might I find myself writing, and what would be the use cases?

    - I understand that there is a lot of theory for me to familiarize myself with, with regard to the OSI and TCP/IP models. What I'm not sure how to get is practical experience solving problems with this stuff. Like a practical trial that I can undergo within like a day. Tutorials abound for things like "Deploy an microservice with AWS Fargate" or "Write a chat app with web sockets" or "Render a cool image with a GL shader", but for what I'm looking to do now I'm not sure what to ask the internet or if any such compact exercises are available.

    Why I'm Asking

    I'm applying for a job, and I'm pretty far along, but they're being frank with me that I don't know some of what I would be heavily using on the job. They've described some of this as "comfort writing networking code beyond http" and actually something like solving problems with machines talking to each other on a local network with "like, weird protocols." I'm really interested in the job, and I think what they want is to see a good faith effort on my part to prep for the final interview as well as evidence that I can skill up quickly.

    More Context

    I'm mainly a Python data engineer and JavaScript web developer. I have a research background in NLP & machine learning, but in the years since I've been building mostly web applications and data pipelines using frameworks like Celery, Flask, React, etc. I have some infrastructure-type experience with AWS, Docker, Linux administration, and the like.

    Hopefully this is a helpful discussion for others. Thanks for bearing with a somewhat vague question.

    (cross-posted from r/computerscience)

    submitted by /u/personmantaco
    [link] [comments]

    Is it common to not comment code in banks?

    Posted: 31 Dec 2018 01:31 PM PST

    I worked at a bank over the summer and was told to remove comments in my code. Is this common at banks?

    submitted by /u/KrustyKrab111
    [link] [comments]

    Post graduation job?

    Posted: 31 Dec 2018 07:20 PM PST

    Here's where I'm at right now.

    Graduated in May 2018 from a top 25 public university in USA with a CS-BS degree.

    3.5 GPA

    AWS Solutions Architect Associate certification in April 2018

    I have no relevant job experience or internships in a technical field. Only job's I've held were your typical teenager job (grocery store) when I was in high school. I've been making my money online since then but I'm not going to have any career progression doing what I'm doing online. I have no portfolio to show my personal projects (because I really don't have any). I can program a bit, but I really am not interested in a career that requires coding as a main part of the job. If I had to have a job involving coding my only language I've bothered to go into any detail is Java. I'm not very well versed in any one particular field of CS such as networking or databases. I have broad knowledge of how everything works (Which is really what a university degree gives you) and that's about it. My AWS certification is the furthest I've dove into a subject. I was looking into AWS jobs but they seem like most of them require prior technical field experience before they'll even give you an interview even for the entry level ones. I haven't put in a single application since graduating and I know my clock is running out before interviewees are going to wonder why I haven't gotten a job since graduating.

    That being said, what job is there out there for me? I don't mind the pay or the location. Getting on the job training would be my preference.

    submitted by /u/csthrowaway91
    [link] [comments]

    Want to become self-employed

    Posted: 31 Dec 2018 06:34 AM PST

    Hey guys, I'm a full-time software developer for a year now. Although I am very happy with my job and with my employer, I have a constant desire to become self-employed sooner or later. In order to avoid a big risk I would start the self-employment only as a part-time until it develops to the extent that I can do it full-time.

    I would like to hear tips from you on what the first steps for self-employment should look like and in which sectors there is a lot of demand and what skills are required. What income could I expect with a part-time self-employment and also with a full time? How do I get my first customers etc?

    Who has already gained experience as a self-employed and can tell me about it?

    submitted by /u/freshbanks3131
    [link] [comments]

    Delay starting date? Need your opinion.

    Posted: 31 Dec 2018 05:47 PM PST

    I put in my 2 weeks notice while I was just starting a week long Christmas vacation. But I had received a new job offer two days before I started my vacation that I can't pass up and with a start date starting the first week of Jan. So I put in my 2 weeks notice to HR. My current manager is asking me to delay my quitting date by a week since we're piloting next week. (Im leaving in the middle of a project.)

    I told them I'd ask to see if I can delay starting date. But I really don't want to stay another week. I've already started the exit process, started a new apartment rent contract, completed drug test and bg check. What should I do? I also don't want to burn any bridges.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/2259151
    [link] [comments]

    How to get a head start on a computer security career?

    Posted: 31 Dec 2018 01:58 PM PST

    Hello, im youngish(not in college yet) and Im sure that I want to go into computer secuirty(cyber security?), how should I approach it? I know some basic JS/Python, Im good with computers and I know a decent amount on cryptography, privacy technologies, etc. How should I continue? What major should I choose in uni? Plain CS?

    Thanks in advance, and helpful replies mean a ton, happy new year

    submitted by /u/ConscripsAreSlaves
    [link] [comments]

    What type of personality succeeds in a CS-related job?

    Posted: 31 Dec 2018 01:32 PM PST

    I'm curious what type of people you guys think are most suitable for success within the computer science field. Maybe you're a little successful (or a lot) and care to share what you think would be the best attributes for the job.

    submitted by /u/hockey375
    [link] [comments]

    Happy New Years / New Year’s Eve!

    Posted: 31 Dec 2018 01:16 PM PST

    I'm happy to say that I've grown on the community and reading everyone's advice has definitely helped open my perspective. I hope 2019 is filled with great job opportunities for everyone :). Enjoy the holidays and the new year!

    submitted by /u/helptraviecode
    [link] [comments]

    Career Path blockage

    Posted: 31 Dec 2018 12:34 PM PST

    I was considering getting an Associate Degree in Software Development, is this a good idea? or is it one sided in the sense that it's either get a Bachelors or don't bother going to school? ~Considering getting the Associate degree because I believe it might be "easier".

    Have anyone gotten an AS degree in Software Development? if so, any advice? Thanks.

    Not sure if correct sub reddit; redirect

    Edit: Hey guys, what I'm concerned about is the math requirements in the Computer Science BS; I'm not terrible at math but I'm positive I can't pass high level math like calculus 3<. I know I can get any other Bachelors within reason, with little to no problem, but the math aspect in the BS in CS frightens me a little bit. Is a BA in CS good enough? or is there an advice you guys can give to help to help me get into Software Development? Thanks.

    PS. I would like to get into Mobile Development.

    submitted by /u/TheNeverEndingCircle
    [link] [comments]

    Value of international internship for US student?

    Posted: 31 Dec 2018 10:48 AM PST

    Hello, I'm wondering what you all think about doing an internship abroad for a US student, in terms of help for future prospects, career development, etc. I got offered a 9-12 month internship at a large international bank's headquarters in Europe (Paris/London/Zurich), specifically their AI/ML research lab, and I'm wondering if I should take it. For more information, I'm currently an undergrad at a recognized US engineering school (MIT/Stanford), except my degree is in the humanities, but I've taken a few CS classes and one intro ML class out of interest. I'm definitely not as experienced as my EECS/engineering friends and have never even been abroad, which is why the offer blindsided me. It would be cool to go abroad, but I've got a few concerns as doing a longer internship abroad isn't typical, so it's been hard to find proper advice. Mainly,

    • I am worried about the opportunity cost/tradeoff of this internship (9-12 months) vs staying in school and finding a US summer internship. The pay for this internship is low compared to the SV intern salaries, but COL is also much lower. I would also probably delay graduation by a year or so. I'm not sure how beneficial having a European network is, especially because I currently don't intend to stay there.
    • I'm not sure about the job content, especially what an undergrad can do at an AI research lab. I raised this concern with them in the interviews, and they gave vague assurances about the quality of work that interns get, and brief details about what the lab does (red flag or just privacy concerns?). The lab doesn't publish in any top-tier conferences and only a few people on the team hold a PhD/come from academia, so it seems they are more focused on implementing AI for internal use, unlike the more research-y places like GB/MSR/FAIR. Wondering what a value of this internship would be, compared to being a research assistant in an AI lab on my university campus.

    Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Probably there are considerations I haven't even thought of.

    submitted by /u/ru0holahti
    [link] [comments]

    Workday App Dev vs Visa software engineer

    Posted: 31 Dec 2018 10:01 AM PST

    Basically I have two offers. Workday app Dev and Visa software engineer. Both new grad jobs. I had an internship with Visa over the summer and didn't like it at all ( didn't like the people, my manger, the culture, or even the work) however it was real coding ( Java/spring with some UI).

    At workday my impression is that app dev uses Expresso(xpresso?) And it's not really coding and can't be used anywhere else.

    I'm at a loss as to which one too choose. I am worried that going to Workday would be a waste of time, and at Visa I'm probably going to be miserable. That being said Workday might be amazing, idk.

    Any advice?

    submitted by /u/dragonbone81
    [link] [comments]

    What do you do when you're unable to solve a leetcode/whiteboarding problem?

    Posted: 31 Dec 2018 01:37 PM PST

    I'm currently working as a front-end dev but in the interest of keeping my resume up to date and my interview skills sharp, I'm working on upping my whiteboarding game.

    Whiteboarding is definitely not my forte... the only reason I have landed my current position is because I studied the exact problem given to me the night before - aka, I got lucky.

    Here's the thing though: both during interviews and even at home when facing an unfamiliar problem, I just kind of blank out. When I work on projects "in the wild," solutions come to as a torrential rainfall but when the solution itself is the subject of the problem my brain can't handle it and I just stand there like an idiot.

    What do you guys do when you're unable to immediately arrive at a solution? Have you internalized some tips and tricks to just power through it somehow? Any input would be great.

    PS: Happy new year!

    submitted by /u/askhistoriansapp
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment