• Breaking News

    Wednesday, November 28, 2018

    This week we finally dropped support for IE10 and lower (we were supporting 9). OMG flexbox web developers

    This week we finally dropped support for IE10 and lower (we were supporting 9). OMG flexbox web developers


    This week we finally dropped support for IE10 and lower (we were supporting 9). OMG flexbox

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 06:23 AM PST

    I'm sure this is a common story - you're a web developer for a large corporation and you have to support outdated browsers. This has been the case for the entirety of my short 4-year career as a web dev. Last week however, we finally hit less than 1% combined for all visits from IE10 and lower and I got the green light to drop them.

    FRONT END IS SO EASY NOW.

    "Hey, Maclargehuge, can you vertically align this thing in this other thing that is horizontally aligned and make it all work on mobile?"

    Well, I could before, but I'd hate you, but now I can just FLEX BOX IT. Holy crap, this has been missing from my life for so long.

    So long table cells, so long mysterious overflows, so long IE 9! I have thrown your bloated albatrossic corpse to the sea and never felt better.

    submitted by /u/maclargehuge
    [link] [comments]

    Just got an email from SendGrid about a price increase on my plan. Went to Google some alternatives and saw this on Postmark's website. Well played.

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 11:49 AM PST

    Object-oriented Programming in 7 minutes | Mosh

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 04:41 AM PST

    Exploiting developer infrastructure is insanely easy

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 12:48 AM PST

    What makes a great developer? A story of an extraordinary blacksmith

    Posted: 27 Nov 2018 11:43 PM PST

    Autoprefixer 9.3 improves for CSS Grid in IE

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 07:37 AM PST

    A deep dive into the fundamentals of git

    Posted: 27 Nov 2018 11:35 PM PST

    PSA: If you're having issues with NPM/Yarn builds failing today, check whether you are logged in to NPM

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 08:08 AM PST

    Apparently last night NPM did something that seems to have logged a bunch of users out without any notification.

    If you are unsure whether you are logged in or not simply run npm whoami in console. You should normally see your username; however, numerous people are reporting that it is actually returning EAUTHUNKNOWN possibly resulting in new builds to fail.

    To resolve the issue simply run npm login and fill out your credentials. Once logged back in, everything should be working again as normal.

    It took me 3 hours before I came across this stackoverflow which identified the issue. Hopefully this helps some other people who may come across it.

    submitted by /u/Tripts
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone know if this is possible in Sublime Text? (the gif is from vscode, it shows css selector on hover)

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 11:02 AM PST

    Resources for how JavaScript concepts “tie together” and not just trivia?

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 09:31 AM PST

    Hopefully that title makes sense - but I'll try to elaborate here:

    Full time Web Developer with 4 years exp but I'm helplessly terrible at JS - and I finally realized it's because I have a hard time understanding how concepts work together, and not so much the concepts on their own. Granted I'm trying to bounce out of the industry and do a career change but I need to keep my head above water in the meantime...

    I don't find resources like You Don't Know JS helpful because it just explains individual things on their own, and not the relationship of them and how to tie it all together in a program. I know the trivia and concepts on its own and that's why I do so well in interviews.

    For example, I'm trying to work on a loop that goes through a series of lists and adds a class to an anchor if there's a sub list but I can't wrap my head around how to do it because I don't know how 'this' works in the specific context of what I'm doing - but I understand it on its own as an individual concept. On top of this I also have poor googling skills as I can't seem to find any helpful information for my specific issue. Which results in me asking 5-7 questions a week on stack overflow.

    Is there a video series or something where you can watch seasoned devs work through a problem from start to finish including them googling how to do things? Is this a thing? I think this is what I need to really improve. Because just practice clearly isn't cutting it as I've seen no improvement in 3 years.

    Edit: I also tried Wes Bos but his stuff seems to be just making random things one lesson after the other and doesn't explain in great detail why each line works after another and how everything works together.

    submitted by /u/kawnah
    [link] [comments]

    Looking to start a new ecommerce store, what are the pros and cons of the various free and open-source solutions available?

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 01:56 AM PST

    Hey guys, I'm trying to get an ecommerce store off the ground and I want to base it on an open-source platform that doesn't feel too rigid or look too generic or bland or anything. I've not worked in this area before, so if you've got any recommendations that'd be great! I'm looking to sell merch for my record label, btw, not that that matters!

    submitted by /u/amithalder
    [link] [comments]

    How will web development die?

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 10:20 AM PST

    Nothing lasts forever, especially in the world of IT. So, web dev would die someday, too. Probably not die as in go away completely, but change massively (argue for a better definition if you feel like it). However, given how huge the industry is today, I don't see exactly how this can happen.

    Will we get superior technologies for building and distributing apps, as it happened to Flash / Java applets? What technologies could challenge the benefits of the web platform (I only know of qt)?

    Will the current paradigm of (fat) client / server apps with get transformed beyond recognition — say, into distributed applications, or back to thin clients again? How so?

    Will we finally describe most popular use cases and package them into cheap and convenient pre-built boxes even a schoolboy can handle, the way WordPress and platforms (facebook / aliexpress) have generally eradicated ad-hoc website programming?

    Will the Internet as a whole explode in some way, making it an inviable way to deliver apps? If so, will web-as-a-platform persist?

    Feel free to offer your web doomsday scenarios, too.

    Disclaimer: yes, I'm asking because I'm in a long-term career planning mood. And yes, I'm over-dramatizing for discussion's sake.

    submitted by /u/vklepov
    [link] [comments]

    Where are the margin variables located in bootstrap files?

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 04:12 PM PST

    I'm currently customizing bootstrap 4 for a theme but I can't find where are the margin and padding variables located, so I can set my own.

    submitted by /u/codeunshackled
    [link] [comments]

    https://www.example.com forgot to renew their certificate

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 02:39 PM PST

    Journey From 6 users to 1200 Users in a month and still growing by Helping Mostly Web Dev & Mobile Developers

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 01:51 PM PST

    We re-launched our App one month back with just 6 users and in One month, we have substantially grown up to ~1200 users with running Orders and Item Sale.

    We started our Journey with a mission to promote and provide free CV website to professionals people. We received a mixed reaction from various people initially, Yet it didn't stop people finding our service useful. We are yet working extremely hard to improve User's reaction every day and grow, help more professionals.

    We won our first battle when people started sharing and using their CV profile website on various social media. From CV profile website I mean, example -

    1. http://freelancer.usercv.com
    2. http://usercv.usercv.com
    3. http://badhon.usercv.com/
    4. http://muradcmt.usercv.com/
    5. http://parmod.usercv.com/

    We have much more battle to win and help much more professionals.

    I would like to Thank whole Reddit "webdev" users and all people who believed in us and consider using our platform for their use cases. At this point all rants feel like a love and your smile is worth a million hugs to us!

    Thank you so much for inspiring us and giving us an opportunity to serve you!

    submitted by /u/Provlem
    [link] [comments]

    How to Land an Entry-Level Job Web Developer [NYC]

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 01:39 PM PST

    I recently moved to New York after earning my Bachelor degree in Berlin. I assumed that with my 6-month internship and 9-month part-time job, I would have more professional experience than an average Bachelor graduate. Yet I am having a hard time finding a good job.

    I don't know what the problem is. It could be that: I am not looking hard enough / not at the right places, my resume / portfolio / website isn't good enough, my German education isn't as valued as an American education. I don't know. But I would love some feedback on all of this, you can find all of my information on my website https://jonathanderin.de.

    TL;DR: I am having trouble finding a entry-level job in NYC after graduating in Berlin. I would love some help by giving me detailed feedback on my website / resume / linkedIn / GitHub. Or other tips and recommendations. Everything is welcome!

    submitted by /u/bbrinx
    [link] [comments]

    Console.rules(��)

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 01:26 PM PST

    What are your thoughts on providing prospect clients a "google form" to fill out to better understand the scope and quoting?

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 01:12 PM PST

    This is probably something more along the lines of web design, but I'm asking here in hopes to get a broader range of opinions.

    I have conflicting opinions between my friends about the idea of promoting and making new customers fill out a "website questionnaire" for the purpose of understanding what the client wants and how to tailor a quote for them.

    My questionnaire is light, basic, and has cute icons with no technical jargon, should take less than 5 minutes to complete, but will force the customer to understand what they want and what expectations to have, while providing me a better understanding of what they want without the hassle of back and forth emails and miscommunication.

    (some people just want a blog, others want a magazine empire, and it all gets lost in translation)

    Some say Its like pulling teeth to get customers to fill out these forms, others say its a good idea, I would like to get more opinions on it though.

    Should it be an indicator to avoid a customer who can't fill out a basic google form with multible choice questions? Or is it better to just network and have consulting meetings for every prospective customer? (those typically drag out and I'm trying to avoid/improve this process)

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/olivestab
    [link] [comments]

    What do those of you with jobs do to practice your skills on days off, or skills you haven't used in awhile?

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 09:23 AM PST

    Programming is a skill that needs to be practiced, and I was just curious what those of you who do it full time in a job do to keep your skills up, especially if it's been awhile since you've done something. Do you create faux sites on your own or what?

    submitted by /u/Mymar
    [link] [comments]

    Masonary Image Grid

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 12:49 PM PST

    Hi All,

    Working on a project for a client and wondering if you guys and gals have any tricks for a JS masonry grid. I felt like this grid type would be perfect because my client has portfolio shots that are landscape and portrait.

    Ive looked into a few javascript libraries:

    https://masonry.desandro.com/

    http://macyjs.com/

    https://isotope.metafizzy.co/layout-modes/masonry.html

    http://callmecavs.com/bricks.js/

    https://vestride.github.io/Shuffle/

    Have you had any experience with these libraries? Which one is the best ot integrate with a CMS ie the most forgiving for multiple image sizes. Wrost case scenario i can force fixed widths and allow natural heights/set custom thumbnails when images are uploaded.

    Any advice is appreciated!

    submitted by /u/TuffRivers
    [link] [comments]

    Code of conduct in case of emergency

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 12:42 PM PST

    Hi all webdevs

    I'm trying to figure outsome kind of procedure in case of emergency. For example, you have few minutes to finish job for today and your phone ringing.. It's your client.. website is down.

    And now:
    1. What are you doing step - by - step
    2. what questions to ask in an emergency interview on call

    It's difficult for me because all problems are different. Once client have issue with shared hostinge, other day with wordpress plugin and it's really hard to figure out some kind of scenario / script for that..

    submitted by /u/emillod
    [link] [comments]

    What is my responsibility as a developer who uses webpack/babel/vue for frontend work?

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 08:55 AM PST

    I am a developer who uses javascript for frontend only. I use webpack/babel/vue primarily but sometimes I use additional packages like node-sass or jest.

    With all of the news lately about how insecure the npm dependency management is, I want to know what steps I should be taking to mitigate this risk.

    Surely refusing to use webpack/babel/vue is not a reasonable solution? Neither is going through each dependency myself.

    What risks are there when your JS ecosystem is confined only to the front end?

    submitted by /u/colesam21
    [link] [comments]

    In light of the event-stream npm package vulnerability, I thought I would share this cool (and scary) tool that visualises the dependency tree of npm packages

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 08:44 AM PST

    MailChimp form with AJAX & JQuery

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 11:42 AM PST

    So I think I have found a website post that explains how to do this. The only issue is that I have no idea where to add the code (after editing it) on a wordpress website. In general im kinda lost here, please help me make sense of this all.

    I am not sure if I am ment to make a file and upload it to my wordpress with the Ajax & JQuery code or what I am ment to do or even how this all works....

    PS: here are some of the stuff im reading and trying to understand

    https://www.web-development-blog.com/archives/mailchimp-signup-form/

    https://neal.codes/blog/custom-mailchimp-ajax-newsletter-subscribe/

    https://wordpress.stackexchange.com/questions/190557/how-to-add-a-custom-mailchimp-ajax-newsletter-subscribe-form

    https://www.sunarlim.com/2017/01/mailchimp-subscribe-form-php-jquery-api3/

    submitted by /u/Oudwin
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment