• Breaking News

    Wednesday, November 28, 2018

    Big 4 Discussion - November 28, 2018 CS Career Questions

    Big 4 Discussion - November 28, 2018 CS Career Questions


    Big 4 Discussion - November 28, 2018

    Posted: 27 Nov 2018 11:06 PM PST

    Please use this thread to have discussions about the Big 4 and questions related to the Big 4, such as which one offers the best doggy benefits, or how many companies are in the Big 4 really? Posts focusing solely on Big 4 created outside of this thread will probably be removed.

    Abide by the rules, don't be a jerk.

    This thread is posted each Sunday and Wednesday at midnight PST. Previous Big 4 Discussion threads can be found here.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Daily Chat Thread - November 28, 2018

    Posted: 27 Nov 2018 11:06 PM PST

    Please use this thread to chat, have casual discussions, and ask casual questions. Moderation will be light, but don't be a jerk.

    This thread is posted every day at midnight PST. Previous Daily Chat Threads can be found here.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    [FAILURE STORY] No offers and taking a break

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 08:42 AM PST

    TL;DR Since we often see success stories on here I decided to share my failure story to balance things out, in a small way. Sorry up front for the long post. This is just a list of summaries of how various experiences went and ended up with either me withdrawing or no offer.

    I am an experienced candidate. Admittedly, I have a good job right now already, and would only accept another offer if it was better than my current one. Still, I think I found a few different options I would have strongly considered, but I have failed to receive any offers after ~3.5 months trying. And I'm tired of trying now. I used up all my time off for the year on doing interviews anyway.

    Here's all the ways my job hunt went down the drain.

    Company T I wasn't ready to interview when Company T's recruiter reached out on LinkedIn. I had practiced only about 5 LC then. They're kind of a dream company so I gave it a shot anyway. I passed through to the onsite even though I felt I did badly in the phone screen. Then the week before the onsite came, they changed the position from backend dev to security dev, saying that the backend dev role got filled. The day before the actual onsite, they canceled the interview altogether saying something came up and they would reschedule.

    After not hearing back for a couple days, I decided "what am I thinking! I don't even want to be a security dev nor do I have any relevant experience " and I withdrew my application.

    Company S I cold applied to half a dozen companies I thought I might like as soon as I had the onsite scheduled with Company T. Company S was one of those and they rejected my application the next day.

    Company L An acquaintance referred me for Company L and I passed to an onsite and got it scheduled for the same week as Company T.

    At the onsite, people were jerks or depressed. One guy literally had a flat affect the entire hour and complained about the company the whole time. They do their coding portion as a project on your laptop but two disasters tanked mine. First, the guy who was supposed to come and explain the problem to me showed up fifteen minutes late. Second, my laptop wouldn't connect to their wifi until IT came to look at it.

    This left me with half the time as others to complete it and I had half a solution as a result.

    I withdrew my application after the experience (there were also other things making it a poor fit) and they tried to get me to continue anyway but I politely thanked them and moved on. At the point in time when this happened, I felt sure I'd have other offers and I didn't want to waste more time.

    Company G I applied on their careers site because the job description matched so well with my experience. I passed to an onsite but by then I had four other onsites with companies I wanted to work at more so I withdrew my application before the onsite happened.

    Company Z, position 1 I didn't really want position 1 but Company Zs recruiter was really pushing it hard because it's for their big new business space. In the technical phone screen I felt like the description of what I would be doing was undefined and the guy told me since it's a new space there's few managers and zero product people hired and no project managers either.

    I withdrew my application after the phone screen.

    Company Z, position 2 Company Zs career site responded with 500 errors every time I tried to apply for 2 weeks. But right after I withdrew from position 1, it worked for the position I thought was a high match to my experience.

    I got to the technical phone screen. It was early on a Friday and the guy just seemed hung over or pissed off right away. I had a horrible time with the dude and almost withdrew my application but then forgot about it while I talked with other companies. I got a rejection email later.

    Company P I applied through Company Ps site and heard nothing back for two weeks. After I had both Company L and Company T onsites scheduled I reapplied and mentioned my other onsites in the cover letter. They reached out the next day.

    They do their phone screens through a third party (Karat) which is interesting and is actually a really good candidate experience. I didn't do great on it and I felt rushed but I got really good feedback and passed.

    I scheduled an onsite with them the same week as Company L and Company T. It got rescheduled to the Monday after though. I felt like the onsite went really well. It was nothing like the poor experience with Company L. I worked through various coding problems and designed a cache, before eating with the manager for an hour and having a really great conversation where I found we agreed about everything in our software engineering philosophy.

    But a couple weeks later I had a rejection email.

    Company R R is a startup that I applied to way back when I was first talking to T. I heard nothing back but in the meantime I had decided not to pursue it anyway because I found a Glassdoor saying that they didn't have a 401k. After I had the three onsites scheduled already, they reached out again, but I decided not to pursue it. I didn't think they had decent pay or benefits.

    Company Z2 Z2 was promoted by a very aggressive recruiter on LinkedIn and its in the same industry I'm in. I know about it already, and it is kind of a startup with a not very good engineering culture. Nevertheless, I talked with him awhile about the position on LI and then got on the phone with him. It sounded almost like something I should give a shot, if only to have another offer, but when I got him to name the range for the position, the top end of the range was below what my bottom end would be, so I declined.

    Company I I is a company that is doing good in the world and I would be very fulfilled working for. I applied online through their careers site. Since I already had other onsites scheduled (I started talking to them the week before those) I tried to get them to waive parts of their process which included the recruiter screen, a timed online coding test, a technical phone screen, and an onsite. They wouldn't budge so I went ahead and took the test and did the phone screen. I felt like I did very well and I went to an onsite.

    Surprisingly, as this isn't even a name brand company that most people know about or recognize, this was the hardest onsite of them all. Luckily it was the third onsite I did and I felt very prep'd and had done about 25 LC by then, 2 of which came up in the onsite. A week and a half after the onsite, I was told I had very good feedback by the recruiter, who tried for a solid ten minutes to pressure me into giving numbers to bound my offer. I just told her I was likely going to have multiple offers and I would look at them when they all came in, that they were one of my top choices for all the reasons we had talked about (there are some compelling personal reasons), and that I would keep them in the loop about offers.

    Next, I was ghosted for four weeks while I followed up each week. Finally I received an email that the recruiter had gone out on a personal emergency, but it turns out the position was "put on hold." I count that as a rejection but who knows.

    Company A After the first two onsites at L and T kinda fell through, I tried to think of a way to prime the pump and quickly get multiple offers in hand. So I decided to try TripleByte.

    I passed the TripleByte online quiz and then the two hour phone screen and went into the pitch round where 37 companies are supposed to pitch themselves to you and fast-track you to onsites.

    Welp. It doesn't work that way. I only got 3 offers for pitches and two of them were out of state wanting me to work remote, and the third is a very-well-known company we'll call Company A. I was surprised that A wanted to pitch, so I took the pitch from A but I ignored the others. Company A pitched the position and the big downside to it was they wanted me to fly to their HQ every month for 3-5 days, even though they have an office here. I talked to my TripleByte contact about it and she suggested to try and negotiate that down if I get an offer, so I went ahead and flew down to their HQ and did a day-long onsite which went super super well. I even had one of the interviewers tell me after their slot that even though I was being considered for X team, they would really want me on Y team that they work on, and would I consider relocating to their HQ. I also read that if you make it to a 6th or 7th slot on their interview loop, that was a really good sign, and I did that. In all I talked to 8 people and was told that I had spent the day with most of the team.

    But no. A couple weeks later, I was rejected because they chose someone more "aligned" to the role.

    Other Companies During this whole time I actually spoke to multiple other recruiters about their various companies. Even my own company had my performance review (doesn't know I was looking around though) and told me they want to promote me in the next three months. That was before I heard back from Company I or Company A. So at one point I thought that I would have offers from A and I, and also need to consider staying. I thought, wow this is going to be interesting and a hard choice to make. Turns out the choice was made for me.

    I will probably not let this be the end, and will think about starting on another batch of companies in February or March. The frustrating part of this whole thing is that I don't have a lot of takeaways. No companies would give me negative feedback and all of them asked to keep my resume on file and reach out if they find any positions in the future that are a match "for my impressive experience."" But I'm sure that they tell everyone this.

    submitted by /u/csfailurethrow1
    [link] [comments]

    Why does it seem like companies try their hardest to avoid providing training?

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 11:36 AM PST

    It just seems like so many hours of productivity are lost when people are asked to do things they don't have much experience in. And upper management is fine with their employees bumbling around until they figure it out, instead of just paying for training on that particular topic. I've seen places willing to pay much more for a consultant and turn key solution to their problems, then to tend to the skills of their full-time workforce.

    Is this the case everywhere? Or just smaller start-ups? Does upper management do this strictly as a means of preventing their employees from becoming more valuable? I would think it would actually increase turnover than decrease it.

    submitted by /u/eggn00dles
    [link] [comments]

    META: Proposals for new daily threads

    Posted: 27 Nov 2018 07:55 PM PST

    Hi,

    Aside from the "Talk about your interviews and why they're Amazon, Google, Facebook, and Microsoft" daily threads 7x a week, I think this subreddit could generate valuable discourse by adding the following topics:

    1. Fridays: "How can I become a world-class machine learning research scientist if I have no math/statistics background beyond high school calculus, no desire to go to graduate school, no relevant work experience or personal projects, and no interest in conducting or writing research?" Thread

    2. Sundays: "Should I get my depression treated or should I let whether or not I get a job at Amazon, Google, Facebook, and Microsoft decide whether I kill myself?" Thread

    3. Tuesdays: "How I got a job at BigN with a 1.2 GPA, a big essay with way too many personal details that no one asked for, and my continued need for validation from internet strangers now that I'm part of the BigN club" Thread

    I think all of these will be hugely popular and lead to great discussion!

    submitted by /u/GoPuer
    [link] [comments]

    I accidentally used my current boss as a reference, what should I do now?

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 08:49 AM PST

    I ran into a classmate who works for a company and he told me they are expanding and hiring and the position we talked about sounded like a great fit for me. I met with him and his boss yesterday and gave my resume and everything seemed to go great. Here's my mistake, I had also applied for a position elsewhere in my current company earlier this year and had to speak with my manager about it beforehand and he let me use him as a reference. I forgot to change my references this time on my resume so my current boss is listed as one of them. The employer I was interviewing with asked if he knew I was applying and I honestly told him I hadn't mentioned it to him yet and he suggested I not use my current boss if he doesn't know. I didn't want to admit on the spot that it was a mistake to have him on there. I need advice on what to do from here. Should I leave it be? Should I speak with my current manager and let him know I came across a perfect opportunity so he's not surprised and tell him I spoke with the other company? Or should I email the employer I interviewed with and explain the situation and suggest a different reference? I don't want to seem unprofessional or give a bad vibe to someone who will potentially hire me.

    submitted by /u/travisty518
    [link] [comments]

    Databricks full-time salaries

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 03:33 PM PST

    I got an intern offer from databricks and the compensation is pretty good. But I've heard a lot around on reddit and glassdoor that they dont pay their new grads too well. Can anyone shed some light on what their full-time offers look like and how they fare with other startups in the bay?

    submitted by /u/sushmaster1998
    [link] [comments]

    Anxiety is preventing me from working.

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 12:44 PM PST

    So I mess around doing all sorts of other stuff all day. Actually getting stuff that needs to done, just not work-related. Then finally open up my editor and anxiety overwhelms me. It's really hard to get started. I can eventually push thru it and start.

    I just want to know if anyone else has this issue, and if so any suggestions on how I might stop the anxiety?

    submitted by /u/88mphisthename
    [link] [comments]

    What will get me an industry job faster. Continuing to work on my Associate Degree or taking a semester off to get the Microsoft Certificate in Data Science.

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 02:11 PM PST

    Currently employed full time, trying to get into a Business Analyst or similar role.

    I'm in college part time for Web and Software Development. At the rate I'm going it will be 3 more years to get my Associate Degree.

    If I take a semester off it will take longer to get my degree. But Microsoft's Data Science Certificate is free and only takes 3 months to get.

    For reference, this is the Certificate: https://academy.microsoft.com/en-us/professional-program/tracks/data-science/

    Do employers care about certificates or am I better off to keep working at my Associate Degree?

    submitted by /u/backlogplayer
    [link] [comments]

    Nordstrom Internship Question

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 05:43 PM PST

    I was curious about the kind of questions and difficulty of Nordstrom's technical interview portion for the people who've completed it. Don't know what to prepare for because of the lack of resources for Nordstrom questions.

    Any help is appreciated!

    submitted by /u/MultiEevee
    [link] [comments]

    AT&T TDP program?

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 02:21 PM PST

    Anyone heard anything yet? Got an email telling me I was in final consideration and should be hearing from someone soon...on october 30th. I've already done the phone screening and technical assessment. It's been a long time.

    submitted by /u/57rams
    [link] [comments]

    Internship at HFT vs Tech

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 05:43 AM PST

    I'm lucky enough to have two excellent offers for my final internship and was hoping to get the thoughts of others on my choices here.

    1. Linkedin

    Pros:

    - Heard excellent things about the work environment and culture here.

    - A lot of exciting work done by their engineering team in the domain of distributed systems.

    - Very high probability of a return offer (~70%)

    Cons:

    - Intern compensation is lower than Jump's. Not sure if this would hold true for a full-time offer.

    - Unaware of their brand value (Would it help me in getting more interviews in comparison to Jump next fall? )

    1. Jump Trading

    Pros:

    - High compensation

    - In Chicago, so LOC in comparison to bay area (Valid for full time rather than an internship, as housing is being provided by both)

    Cons

    - Unaware of the intern to full-time conversion ratio.

    - I have no idea about work culture at Jump

    - Unaware of their reputation and full-time compensation. (Is it comparable to JS/Two Sigma's)

    - Maybe a worse WLB. Though I don't mind, if the work is interesting and helps me in improving my technical skills.

    submitted by /u/interviewShady
    [link] [comments]

    How long would it take a new grad to find a SWE job in Silicon Valley?

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 07:11 PM PST

    Would it be significantly easier to find SWE jobs in SV compared to other places around the country?

    Is it worth it to move there just for the job opportunities alone?

    As a Bay Area new grad SWE, how long did it take you to find a SWE job?

    submitted by /u/lotyei
    [link] [comments]

    Keep learning Android App Development, or learn Javascript + React/Angular?

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 07:10 PM PST

    I'm about to be a senior next semester and I've noticed a ton of jobs are using javascript + various frameworks/environments. I've been making basic apps using java+apis for android and am worried about job prospects after graduation. Is mobile app development something that can help me get a job post graduation?

    submitted by /u/sandwichisland
    [link] [comments]

    Confused between two offers

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 03:05 PM PST

    Hi all,

    First Reddit post. I am a senior at a good university graduating in May 2019. I have an offer from Cerner Corporation in Kansas City, Missouri and from The Options Clearing Corporation in Chicago, IL. The offer is for a new grad software engineer. Cerner's base salary is about $8k higher than OCC's offer adjusted for cost of living (all calculators except smartasset gives this). OCC has a bonus program but Cerner does not. Applying the bonus, both salaries are similar. I don't have a preference of one industry over the other, I feel I would get to learn a lot in both industries. I feel the culture is more relaxed in Cerner but OCC says that there culture is changing. I like Chicago more than Kansas City but am still very confused as to which I should pick. Any help appreciated.

    submitted by /u/justARegularBrownGuy
    [link] [comments]

    Should I go to the University of Minnesota- Twin Cities or the University of Illinois- Urbana Champagne for my CS degree?

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 05:15 PM PST

    I'm torn between these two, I really like the UMN campus and have gotten $20k/year from them in scholarships. I know UIUC is a nationally ranked program, but from what I've read it doesn't matter a huge amount going to a top 5 school vs a top ~20 school. If I went to Minnesota I'd hopefully do lots of research and get internships at the most prestigious companies possible (same with UIUC but I'm assuming I wouldn't have as much time for side projects or much research). The cost difference per year between UIUC and Minnesota is going to be about $12k cheaper for Minnesota. Let me know if you have any opinions or advice that would help me out. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/The-Purple-Orange
    [link] [comments]

    For those of you that took a CS internship position outside of your home state without any friends or family in the location, how was it? Should I apply out of state?

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 04:59 PM PST

    I've been applying for about a month now to places all local to California. I am wondering if I should begin applying to places outside of California even if I have no family/homestead anywhere else in the country? Would the experience be worth it?

    submitted by /u/challenger_weats
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone have experience with NewsCred?

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 08:04 PM PST

    Made it to final round for internship with NewsCred. Anyone have any experience with them and what I could expect in final round? difficulty of questions, etc.

    submitted by /u/FamousForm
    [link] [comments]

    Rehiring for JPMorgan?

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 08:01 PM PST

    So I've recently accepted an offer for a SWE internship at JPMorgan (summer 19), and I was wondering if there was any sort of return/rehire process if I were to apply again for summer 2020. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/zoomerbot104
    [link] [comments]

    Recent CS grad starting a C++ programmer job at a games studio next Monday, any tips?

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 08:01 PM PST

    Hey everyone, just found the subreddit whilst looking for a place to ask career advice questions and this is my first post. Hopefully I've come to the right place.

    So I graduated back in September with a CS master's of engineering, I'd been on the job hunt since several months prior, and last month I got an offer from a games studio who I liked the look of (and who were very keen to have me). I'm really excited to start with them - they're a fairly small outfit, but have a lot of experience and have worked on some interesting projects.

    The only work experience I've had previously was an internship with Arm Ltd, and I'm curious to know if anybody here had any advice on starting a new programming role as a recent grad? Any industry specific knowledge would be great too, but I won't be picky!

    Thanks in advance for any replies. :)

    submitted by /u/GreenyRepublic
    [link] [comments]

    [Confused Computer Engineering Student on what applied code looks like] Hoping for Student and Professional advice!

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 08:00 PM PST

    Hello!

    So this question has confused me for a while and I have recently been doing some more research as I find that 70% of the internships I would be interested in are in software.

    My issue is I have no idea what code really looks like beyond a console application that either requires your input or the input of a text file and then prints out or gives you a text file. For reference I have done 90% of my coding in c/c++ but my c++ style could probably be completely described with: "c with class and a few baked in functions".

    My question how to apply what I've learned. I have done quite a few micro controller projects so I feel pretty confident there. But I guess I also want to branch into the more traditional software development world probably through contributing to open source code?

    I know this question is kind of confusing and I know no one can learn for me I just haven't had much use from googling for "What does real world code look like" "what does code beyond console applications look like" If anyone could provide some good reference or learning materials I would appreciate it! While I don't know everything about coding I have no problem learning the specific procedures or nuances of a given language I am just looking for that next step.

    TLDR: I have no clue what code is used for besides console applications and micro controllers.

    Apologies if this is confusing please critique or ask for clarification I'd appreciate it!

    submitted by /u/Newlyminted07
    [link] [comments]

    Learn to code in multiple languages = or be really, really, really, REALLY good at coding in one?

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 07:57 PM PST

    Hi. I started out learning to code in Javascript - but quickly afterward hopped to using Kotlin.

    However, I found that Kotlin while it's primarily used to code Android apps, is not used in things like Flutter where I can code for both Android and IOS apps at once. There seems to be a demand from employers too to have apps developed for both platforms at once as well.

    I tried getting the hang of learning Dart, the language used in Flutter, but eh....it just didn't have the same feel of a fit with me. I had the same feel of unfit-ness when I was learning Java that compelled me to switch to Kotlin.

    Should I just focus on mastering the use of Kotlin? Be really, really, really, REALLY good at using it? Would this perhaps end up alienating me from a lot of employment opportunities out there?

    submitted by /u/omegajelly200
    [link] [comments]

    Workplace hired consultants. Coding standards are horrific. Already in pit of despair.

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 07:55 PM PST

    My company hired consultants to do an initial build out of data pipelines. I'm a recent hire and was brought in to eventually take over what they implement but need time to build out my team. One of the big draws in me joining was the ability to start from a clean slate.

    The last few months consultants have been working away creating scripts using python to download from datasources(api, ftp etc) and store them in s3.

    Early on I created them git repositories for them to check in their code. They initially did some minimal checkins but then stopped completely. Right around this time I had a serious family emergency and I was out of the office for 4 weeks. Unfortunately I didn't have anyone yet on my team and my boss(really whole department) isn't technical at all but he did take over the job of monitoring this project.

    I finally got back to work and SURPRISE, I'm hearing the consultants are way behind on their deliverables. Also when I get back I realize they STILL haven't done ANY checkins into the repositories I set up for them!

    Now I'm really starting to harass them. For another 2 weeks they delayed and finally I was able to get them to check in like weeks worth of code on Tuesday.

    Now I'm not exactly an expert in Python, more intermediate, and I'm much stronger in C# so was definitely willing to give more benefit of the doubt. However what was submitted I don't think is up for debate. It's fucking horrific.

    I'm talking dead code everywhere. Commented code everywhere. Methods that are enormous and break SRP multiple times over. Not a unit test to be seen. Whole files that are not being used anywhere that I can see.

    Deadlines are approaching and I told my boss I'm very concerned about the code but I think he's too afraid to tell his boss. I'm pretty despondent right now because I'm amazed at how such a new build went to shit so quickly. I want to enforce coding standards but that will take us even further from the deadlines. My boss just wants them to do it fast and ugly but I know where that leads.

    Part of me just wants to go to my boss' boss, lets call him Gary, and lay everything out but I'm afraid of the political fallout and going over my boss. And really I might lose this battle anyway because Gary's not technical either and might agree with my boss. Plus they were very understanding when I was out of the office for weeks makes me feel ungrateful.

    Anyway was wondering has anyone else faced this situation? What did you do and how did it end up? Is my only recourse is to suck it up and bandage as much code as I can?

    submitted by /u/FatedMoody
    [link] [comments]

    is it because most undergraduates want to work after graduation so that undergraduates' programming skill is better than graduates' in total?

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 07:51 PM PST

    Hi all

    thanks a ton

    submitted by /u/boydbuilding
    [link] [comments]

    How do I make the jump to Software Engineer?

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 12:17 PM PST

    I've been working in tech for 7 years. I didn't study CS in college, but I got a position working at a small app/website contract house out of school, where I was able to learn MySQL/PHP/JavaScript/HTML/CSS on the job (plus courses at a local CC, online stuff, stackoverflow, etc). After a few years there, I got a new position at a small but well-funded startup to work as their web developer. I've been at this startup ever since, but there hasn't been much room to grow here. I still primarily work on front-end code, but I have learned Python (which I love), gotten better at JS, and become more architecture-minded. I've gotten excellent reviews every quarter for 4 years, but I haven't received a title change or a change in responsibilities, even though I've voiced my urge to grow and I followed that up by building out new projects with different languages and libraries. It seems like they think I'm a one-trick pony, and it feels like my career is stagnating.

    I want to get better at back-end technologies and shift my career to be more on the software engineering track, but I'm not sure where I should start. I have an interview lined up for a software engineer job, and it will start with a coding interview on data structures. I'm preparing by doing hackerrank challenges and watching the mycodeschool series on data structures. I feel completely out of my depth though. I'm comfortable creating complex websites, coding web apps, and building out micro services in python, but give me a theoretical computer science problem and I feel like a small, dumb child.

    For anyone who has made this jump in your career, how did you do it? What sort of projects did you build to learn more, and how did you give yourself confidence? I want to view my 7 years of web development experience as an asset in this process, but to be honest, right now my title just makes me feel embarrassed.

    submitted by /u/w_bjj
    [link] [comments]

    How to stop glorifying G?

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 07:42 PM PST

    How to stop glorifying Google? In my head, Google is the be-all-end-all and I don't want it to be that way. Makes rejection infinitely harder to deal with.

    Two years ago, I got almost all the way for an internship; ended up not getting a host match in time, so I got rejected. I've always been unrealistically salty about that, and I've since been kinda infatuated with Google. It's completely unhealthy and I'm thankful I've at least recognized that.

    How do I shake off the feeling? I'm still waiting for the HC, but if I get rejected, I want the fall to be less painful. Even if I get an offer, it helps to not glorify Google because otherwise I'll almost certainly be underwhelmed when I actually see that it's not the dreamland I think it is.

    Sorry if I come across as a 13-year old girl.

    submitted by /u/ugabhjfka
    [link] [comments]

    Get lured into a first level support position as a software dev with 10yrs of experience... What to do?

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 04:00 AM PST

    Hey guys,

    6 month ago I was unhappy with my last company. It was a huge worldwide acting company (14.000 employees) where everyone was trying to be better then his neighbor to get the bigger raise. Because of that, there was no teamwork, nearly all projects went overbudget, overtime and not customerfriendly. Millions where burned per year in IT becuase of that. Even the regional managers (each with hundreds of employees) wouldn't even talk to each other...

    So I got the offer from this firm, where I am now. And I feel I got lured into this position...

    So it is a company which got owned by the city itself, very well (you get a few extra Euro's here and then). The company acts as a landlord for houses that the city owns. The sallery is okay, not THAT well, but completly okay, but WHAT I do is... bullshit.

    I am a software-developer with my complete soul, I love to develop, love to think about more features my websites and applications could have, solv hard bugs and get drunk afterwards...

    In this position, they told me they need a software developer with a lot of experience because they have so much special requierements as a "city-landlord" that a lot of software you can rent / buy will not help them. They told me they had hundrets of ExcelSheets, Macros and self written things in very bad shape which should all go in one individual software for the company. AND they offer me to be that guy, having other people under me in the next 12 to 24 month, so build up a internal software development team...

    Of course I would have to help to support a few things until the software would be written...

    Now I am 2 month into this job and all I have done is first level support. Today (4 hours into my workday right now) I wrote 25+ Emails, got 5 calls and visited 5 people to help with shit, I coordinate the bought software, Excel Sheets and databases... In all this month I wrote nearly 50 to 100 lines of code which is basicly just a prototype of a menubar of the new software... so basicly what... 2 hours of software development in 2 month.

    The job isnt that hard, you have to have a hard shell for this things, yeah, but as simple it sounds... it's just not my idea of my working day... I am too much a coder to be that guy that runs around and fixes your excel if-else-querys...

    Sorry if that is hard to read... Any advice would be nice...

    submitted by /u/Wasseratem
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment