• Breaking News

    Thursday, November 22, 2018

    The Best Thing You Can Do To Become A Better Developer Is Read Code learn programming

    The Best Thing You Can Do To Become A Better Developer Is Read Code learn programming


    The Best Thing You Can Do To Become A Better Developer Is Read Code

    Posted: 21 Nov 2018 09:23 PM PST

    Hey guys,

    I believe this tip is going to be for people who have at least enough experience under their belts to feel confident writing very small programs. Doesn't have to be a crazy program, but at least something that compiles, executes and isn't from a tutorial.


    For those who are stuck in a rut of constantly having to look up tutorials for the framework or language you are working with, I recommend reading code on GitHub. You will run into things instantly that you don't understand at all. Pause and go to the documentation for the line of code you are confused on. Keep digging through the documentation until you understand what the line is doing. Move to the next line and continue.


    Do this as an exercise daily for an hour and you won't regret it.

    submitted by /u/portexe
    [link] [comments]

    Master Basics of SQL this Sunday. Live streamed crash course

    Posted: 21 Nov 2018 06:14 AM PST

    Hi folks, I occasionally offer free, live programming courses as my way of giving back to the community. This Sunday, I will be offering an Intro to SQL course. During this class, you will learn to perform basic queries on actual databases. You will watch the live-streamed class and code along with other students.

    Who is for? Complete beginners who are new to SQL. No prior programming knowledge is required.

    Interested to know more? Take a look here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSc3NwfpoUCkGbTCcNNWPbOKrOTPB1LGIcC_HUUT4JtgWc8RHQ/viewform?usp=sf_link

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    submitted by /u/g_pal
    [link] [comments]

    How did you start your journey at Programming? ��

    Posted: 21 Nov 2018 07:52 PM PST

    So, I'll add the first one.

    I abandoned my biochemist career to pusuit this new passion. Recently Ive released my first game in Google Play.

    (Not gonna lie, I still have my doubts about leaving)

    submitted by /u/Ulises502a
    [link] [comments]

    What's the best online course for learning Computer Science, between Teachyourselfcs, OSSU, etc.

    Posted: 21 Nov 2018 11:43 PM PST

    I've seen a lot of these different sites posted and I'm looking to supplement something with what I'm learning in school.

    submitted by /u/AutumnSail
    [link] [comments]

    What should a beginner, intermediate or advanced level project at least have / involve?

    Posted: 21 Nov 2018 02:05 AM PST

    So i was trying to brainstorm on project ideas. At the end i want to come up with minimum of 10 projects:

    - 5 beginner level projects

    - 3 intermediate level projects

    - 2 advanced level projects

    And every time i want to learn a new language or framework i wanna create those projects to practice and expose my self to the most aspects/features of that language / framework.

    But i'm struggling with what kind of projects to come up. For example what makes a project advanced level project. I was thinking that a project where a database or API is involved was kind intermediate / advanced. But what else should i look for other than working with databases and API's.

    submitted by /u/A_X_D_H
    [link] [comments]

    C++ Project

    Posted: 22 Nov 2018 12:05 AM PST

    Hey guys, I'm an electrical engineering student and I'm currently learning C++ online. Since I don't want to pay a bunch of money for an online certificate, but want to proof to possible employers that I have some C++ experience, I'm looking for ideas/inspiration for some C++ projects I could do in my free time. If you have any cool ideas or recommendations, let me know! :)

    Also I have both a Raspberry Pi and an Arduino at home if that information has an impact on your recommendations

    submitted by /u/justonemorenerd
    [link] [comments]

    Best python framework GUI?

    Posted: 21 Nov 2018 11:45 PM PST

    Swear to god I find coding a gui in java swing so much easier.

    I'm trying to determine whats the best gui framework for use in python. I'm looking at using obd-python to output some information into a basic GUI displayed on a raspberry pi. Program would display things like intake temp, boost, rpm etc. On touch would maximize the one selected.

    I've looked at tkinter and kivy. Every tutorial I find is completely different to each other in terms of actually adding/customizing things.

    Any other recommendations or good tutorials for either of those?

    submitted by /u/thehunter699
    [link] [comments]

    Is teachyourselfcs.com still legit?

    Posted: 21 Nov 2018 04:03 PM PST

    I noticed that many of the resources are old and i was wondering if it still makes sense to go through all of the things are cited on the website.
    I also know Java(i'm currently developing android apps just for fun) so i was wondering if i still have to learn lisp.
    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/World_hold_oon
    [link] [comments]

    Potential Project

    Posted: 21 Nov 2018 08:35 PM PST

    I'm currently a sophomore looking for potential internships, and I felt like I was lacking in terms of personal projects. Here are some suggestions I came up for myself to work on over winter break and I was wondering if anyone here had additional ones or comments about the ones listed below. I don't simply want to add useless projects to my "arsenal", I'd like to do projects that deepen my understanding about complex algorithms/ideas, in addition to projects that demonstrate my proficiency in a new language.

    • Tic-Tac-Toe: Research Matricies & Make Unbeatable: Minimax.
    • 3D Tic-Tac-Toe: Minimax, Alpha-Beta Pruning, Negamax, Transposition tables
    • Something applicable that uses a path of least resistance algorithm? (Suggestions pls)
    • Degree-Plan Creator: OCR Technologies, Possibly Android App. Handles class failures &/or summer classes (in addition to a 4-year curriculum layout depending on their starting semester). (Could help incoming freshman, circumventing bad suggestions made by horrible academic advisors; cutting out the middleman).
    • Rubix Cube Solver: Research Different Methods
    • Stock/Crypto Analyzer & Ticker: Create Website & Practice with HTML/JavaScript. Possibly integration with an existing API.
    • AWS Architect Associate Certification: Develop Curriculum & Do it.

    Any feedback is greatly appreciated, and I thank you for taking the time to read this! Also, I apologize for some of the bullet points sounding a tad weird, this list was meant for me only, but I figured more experienced peoples would have great input.

    submitted by /u/PaddyWagon_
    [link] [comments]

    Learning to learn new things

    Posted: 21 Nov 2018 08:18 PM PST

    Hey! So I am a Sophomore in computer science and have just finished a data structures course. I learned a little bit of new things about different trees and such, but most of it was the same stuff I learned previously. Currently I can only do simple things like make a simple calculator in java.

    So basically, how do I go about learning to use what I know to do more things? For example, I want to control an sql table from a program. How do I learn exactly how to do that? Currently I would just hope someone has a tutorial out on youtube or something.

    Other examples would learning to extract data from websites, enter into forms online, manipulate video, sending info between computers, etc etc.

    I want to learn but I am scared I am going about things the wrong way and get stuck when I come across a topic that I cannot understand any of the youtube tutorials on.

    submitted by /u/FieldsB
    [link] [comments]

    A free Angular 5 course

    Posted: 21 Nov 2018 07:28 AM PST

    this guy has a free course on his website, https://codecraft.tv

    Its quite good and very long.

    submitted by /u/Non-equilibrium
    [link] [comments]

    How to display google maps in java gui swing library?

    Posted: 21 Nov 2018 07:14 PM PST

    Hi all

     How to show the google map in java gui, is there a free way? 

    Thanks a ton

    submitted by /u/boydbuilding
    [link] [comments]

    [homework] Decompose into BCNF

    Posted: 22 Nov 2018 12:04 AM PST

    Hi,

    So I'm having trouble with a problem, and I feel like it should be easy enough but I just can't seem to get it.

    Given the table, R(A,B,C,D,E), and the FD's:

    A→E

    BC→A

    DE→B

    I need to decompose R into BCNF. I know that for R to be in BCNF, X in X → Y must be a key. So since in none of the given FD's the X is a key, they are all dependancy violations.

    This is kind of where I get lost, I'm not really sure how to proceed. I think I'm supposed to take each FD, and kind of split it into two, and create two relations. Then repeat this process until... not really sure?

    I really feel like I should be able to understand this, and its kind of frustrating that I cant. Any help would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/never_lucky_f2p
    [link] [comments]

    [C++/Laravel] Existing winform app, best method of migrating to a web app?

    Posted: 21 Nov 2018 07:39 PM PST

    Hello

    I have an existing winform app which depends heavily on several .dll files provided to me by a third party. Not using these .dll files is currently not an option.

    Ideally, I would like to migrate this to some sort of web app. Aesthetics are not crucial.

    From my point of view, I have two options. I would much prefer option 1. I would appreciate any help in deciding which option I should pursue.

    1. I am experienced in PHP, and the Laravel framework in particular. Does anyone know/have experience of a reliable way of calling classes/methods from a DLL in PHP? Drupal On Windows seems my best bet on the moment.

    2) Converting this winform app to a web service. Something like Visual Web GUI? I've no experience here, and this seems like a hack.

    3) Create an equivalent ASP.NET webservice. Is this my best option? I would like to avoid the learning curve here, but if I've no other choice I'll go with this one.

    EDIT: sorry about the numbering, can't quite get it to work.

    submitted by /u/estiedee
    [link] [comments]

    What are the best online coding boot camps​?

    Posted: 21 Nov 2018 04:02 PM PST

    Making career change here and looking at online coding boot camps due to 3 kids at home. I see that Thinkful bought up Bloc earlier this year and Bloc is now rated number 1 online boot camp

    So Bloc is my number one choice at this point. I need something that's going to be structured and set up for me which is why I'm looking at bootcamps. If I should be looking at other bootcamps, let me know. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/Finleyw
    [link] [comments]

    Script for checking if a username is free on Reddit

    Posted: 21 Nov 2018 01:05 PM PST

    Hello fellow programmers,

    So a few months ago I came across this post on reddit

    Basically someone wanted to write a script that lets him find the shortest available username on reddit.com

    So I did some research, sniffed some packets and came out with a library that easily allows you to do that!

    You can find my code here: https://github.com/yoavravid/RedditUsernames

    The code is written in python 3, and anyone can use pip install and try it out (pip install reddit_usernames)

    For new programs - I'd take a look at my example scripts.

    Feel free to give me feedback on github - CR is definitely the best way to learn and improve.

    If this is interesting, I can definitely write a longer post about the research and development process.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/150_turtle
    [link] [comments]

    Wrote some python code to test a question I found in r/WouldYouRather, thought I would share.

    Posted: 21 Nov 2018 09:35 PM PST

    I wrote a python program to test this. If you run this program (program is based on "red button") then it generates 100 values in between 1 and a million. I would say the VAST majority of the time you will end up with hundreds of thousands of dollars.

    import random

    def ranNumGen():

    val = random.randint(1, 10000000)

    return val

    i = 1

    for i in range(100):

    print(ranNumGen())

    i += 1

    submitted by /u/IICHASE55II
    [link] [comments]

    Telegram Bots C++ vs Python

    Posted: 21 Nov 2018 09:12 PM PST

    Telegram is very popular in my country and I was thinking of making bots to make some money. I'm torn between C++ and Python. One makes server side apps, one makes server side scripts. Which is better? Thanks for your help.

    submitted by /u/Lithy_Eum
    [link] [comments]

    I need help learning concurrent and distributed systems

    Posted: 21 Nov 2018 04:12 PM PST

    Is there any resources to learn about these two subjects? I'm having a hard time understanding it and i'm at the point where I can end up not graduating this semester if I don't understand it in a month.

    submitted by /u/Lotton
    [link] [comments]

    Trying to help a friend remove something from their website's navbar in Wordpress but when I go to view the HTML it's all...nonsense.

    Posted: 21 Nov 2018 07:04 PM PST

    It just looks like this:

    font_container="tag:h2|text_align:center|color:%230a1f54" use_theme_fonts="yes" css=".vc_custom_1534997767002{margin-top: 0.8em !important;margin-bottom: 0.5em !important;}"][trx_section align="center" columns="9_10"][vc_custom_heading text="" font_container="tag:h6|text_align:center|color:%239daab0|line_height:1.8em" use_theme_fonts="yes" css=".vc_custom_1484599805862{margin-top: 1em !important;margin-bottom: 2.4em !important;}"][/trx_section][contact-form-7 id="394"][/trx_block][/trx_column_item][/trx_columns][vc_empty_space height="1.35em"][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row

    submitted by /u/panda_nectar
    [link] [comments]

    How do you reverse engineer a program? Is it common to use software tools? And how are things like "disassemblers" useful?

    Posted: 21 Nov 2018 06:49 PM PST

    For example, let's say I have an extremely simple .exe file creating using PyInstaller. How might I figure out the code that went into creating that .exe?

    For a more complicated example, let's say a hacker reverse engineers an entire commercial program. How might one do that?

    The only thing I'm seeing online is stuff about "disassemblers", which apparently turn the program into assembly code. How is that useful?

    I'm also guessing that's not the only way to reverse engineer things.

    Any help is appreciated!

    submitted by /u/SengokuHop
    [link] [comments]

    Hi folks -- I've got a question about how to create a clickable thingy, but I'm not enough of a programmer to write a clear title!

    Posted: 21 Nov 2018 06:35 PM PST

    I'd like to program something in flash, HTML5, or other "simple" language to help with my tactics RPG board game.

    Currently, I use PowerPoint as a game table, with unit icons snapped to a grid. I'd like to have the icons be clickable to "tap" them (like in MTG), increment digits for HP and armor, and show ranges for spells and ranged attacks.

    I'm excited to learn flash or HTML5 to help with my presentations, so do you think those would have the functionality I'm looking for?

    Thanks for the advice!

    submitted by /u/Farsay3030
    [link] [comments]

    Would you say going through the "Composing Programs" course is wise

    Posted: 21 Nov 2018 06:24 PM PST

    Someone on reddit gave me this:

    https://composingprograms.com/

    It's an awesome retelling of SICP in Python, just the thing I need after I realized I can't really attach myself to SICP because, after all, it's an MIT textbook and I'm so far from having the intelligence of an MIT student, I'm in an MIT for dumb people (no kidding, the first semester starts in a few months and I'm applying!).

    So what do you guys think? Should I study this course, although I've just started learning C++? The good thing about SICP is that it teaches a language that's not very applicable anywhere else. This course teaches Python, the most applicable language there is.

    I don't want to switch between two languages willy-nilly. What do you recommend?

    submitted by /u/Lithy_Eum
    [link] [comments]

    python/bcrypt - compare entered password to password stored in online database

    Posted: 21 Nov 2018 06:00 PM PST

    # imports import ftplib, bcrypt, requests from tkinter.filedialog import * # get input username = input("Username: ") password = input("Password: ") password = password.encode('utf8') # connect to server session = ftplib.FTP(**no**) # get password response = requests.get("http://www.example.com/things/hash.php?user="+username+"") hashed_password = response.content #get password info hashed = bcrypt.hashpw(password, bcrypt.gensalt()) if hashed_password == hashed: print("Password correct.") else: print("Password incorrect.") print("Your password: "+str(hashed)) print("Correct password: "+str(hashed_password)) 

    This is supposed to hash and then verify whether a password I entered into the program is like the password from an online database, hashed with php. But apparently Python and PHP hash passwords differently so this isn't how I do it. What's the proper way to verify passwords between the two programs, similar to php's "password_verify()" function?

    EDIT:

    got the answer myself. use

    checkpw(normal_password, hashed_password)

    replace the keywords accordingly.

    submitted by /u/IoI_xD
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment