• Breaking News

    Saturday, November 24, 2018

    I’ve been struggling with JavaScript, so thought I’d treat myself. Time to get stuck in web developers

    I’ve been struggling with JavaScript, so thought I’d treat myself. Time to get stuck in web developers


    I’ve been struggling with JavaScript, so thought I’d treat myself. Time to get stuck in

    Posted: 24 Nov 2018 05:39 AM PST

    How to deal with obsolete codebase and out of date workflow?

    Posted: 24 Nov 2018 01:13 PM PST

    I took a job at a web agency more focused on marketing than tech. They brought me in because they know their tech team is quite obsolete and they want to improve this aspect.

    Other developers left in few months because of the crappy code they were dealing with everyday. Also the workload is quite high, if you're not in the "don't think too much, just get the things done" mindset it can be challenging.

    We use classic LAMP stack, with an internal cms written 10 years ago, 90% procedural style, no MVC, just spaghetti. Very little code splitting, there are a thousand rows php+html+js files. First day they introduced me to this mess I was going to puke.

    No CSS preprocessors, no Js transpiling (JavaScript === jQuery in here), no dependency management. I partially managed to force the use of git, but other devs are used to just fix things in production.

    2 developers, 1 devops. About 120 websites to manage and a email marketing platform to maintain. Another senior dev just resigned 4 weeks ago, we will replace him in January but I think the right number would be 5. Company focuses on deliverability, fast pace, little time for rethinking processes.

    Other devs struggle to leave their comfort zone. Poor work division: designers do frontend work, devs do fullstack plus analyst.

    I'm quite discouraged but I still want attempt to fix something, if I can't I'll leave in few weeks. I'm a frontender who loves ES6, Webpack, Node and Vue.js: I'm using nothing of my preferred stack, though the pay is good for the cost of living in the nearbies.. The job description was quite misleading and I didn't see how much they were struggling.

    Where should I start in your opinion? Should I just leave?

    submitted by /u/BrevAlessio
    [link] [comments]

    web dev books

    Posted: 24 Nov 2018 08:44 AM PST

    I've definitely been tempted many times at the bookstore, but I just don't really see the draw in buying physical copies of books on programming when there is seemingly an infinite amount of free information on the web. Plus, web technologies change so rapidly that a book would surely be outdated or inconsequential within 2-3 years of its release. I am a professional web developer and have never read or owned a physical copy of a programming book, so I do have a leg to stand on here, but does anyone else have a different opinion with some solid points to back it up? I think it's worth mentioning that I do read a lot of information pertaining to web technologies (I mean constantly to the point where I think my girlfriend secretly wants to leave me) but nothing from a physical book, per se. And if you are a believer in programming/web dev books, please share one that has helped you in your career.

    submitted by /u/super_tight_xyz
    [link] [comments]

    I made a website to store, browse, and share my screenshots (like puush/etc) with Spring and React. I'd love some input.

    Posted: 24 Nov 2018 10:34 AM PST

    The react portion is here and the spring portion is here. I've made apps like this in the past, but this was my first time taking a pure-js react app to completion, as well as my first time taking a Spring app to completion. I think if I did it again, I'd prefer to use Scala with Play, but it was still a good learning experience and a worthwhile investment of my time imo.

    If anyone has any input to give, I'd love to hear it, thanks!

    submitted by /u/arylcyclohexylameme
    [link] [comments]

    I made a site that let's you browse gifts that are on other sites --like amazon, or uncommongoods-- but with stuff you can actually afford. Would love some input on what I could make better!

    Posted: 24 Nov 2018 12:06 PM PST

    Who are all these third parties getting all up in my browsing sessions? NoScript identifies 8-10 different domains every time I load a site.. who to trust and who not to trust?

    Posted: 24 Nov 2018 01:32 AM PST

    Dweb.page - Share and search content on the distributed web

    Posted: 24 Nov 2018 03:48 PM PST

    Nearly finished | Naga Tattoo & Piercing Studio

    Posted: 24 Nov 2018 03:21 PM PST

    Update home page automatically

    Posted: 24 Nov 2018 03:09 PM PST

    I want my home page to update automatically whenever I upload something new ( like an image or a new article etc) I've search on Google but couldn't find anything related, could you guy's give an hint or some link that I should read to understand it. ( I prefer blog post, because I read them as much as I want without having to go back some seconds) thanks in advance

    submitted by /u/BernardoPiedade
    [link] [comments]

    [Showoff Saturday] Clean up databases between servers with Database Janitor

    Posted: 24 Nov 2018 02:52 PM PST

    Any good design/UI/UX courses for web developers?

    Posted: 24 Nov 2018 10:31 AM PST

    I don't have any background on graphic design, but as a dev I think some basic foundations on design and UI/UX would do me really good.

    I want to have a good primer on design concepts and UX/UI for when I'm building my apps: how to prototype them, what principles to follow...

    Any good resources to recommend? I really thrive on video tutorials a-la-Udemy, but feel free to mention others like books.

    This website is really good too:

    https://hackdesign.org/

    submitted by /u/harry_powell
    [link] [comments]

    The Most Important Non-Programming Skills for Programmers

    Posted: 24 Nov 2018 02:15 PM PST

    Basics: How to stop using console.log() and start using your browser’s debugger

    Posted: 24 Nov 2018 02:10 PM PST

    Which language would be more rewarding for freelancing area, PHP or JavaScript?

    Posted: 24 Nov 2018 02:09 PM PST

    How would you compare those 2 for freelancing?

    submitted by /u/sirotkin___NOT___gay
    [link] [comments]

    Is it possible to pay someone to fix a problem I'm having with building my project (Ionic, Angular, Firebase, gradle)

    Posted: 24 Nov 2018 02:07 PM PST

    I've seriously been trying to solve this problem for 20 days.

    I'm building an app using Ionic and Angular and I've been unable to build the project for Android (I think it uses Gradle). On iOS it works fine, but on Android I get some variation of:

    Execution failed for task ':transformDexWithDexForRelease'.

    [22:01:39]: ▸ > com.android.build.api.transform.TransformException: com.android.ide.common.process.ProcessException: java.util.concurrent.ExecutionException: com.android.dex.DexException: Multiple dex files define Lcom/google/android/gms/internal/measurement/zzhs;

    or

    Execution failed for task ':app:transformClassesWithDesugarForRelease'.

    I admit I'm not very familiar with Gradle or whatever is causing this problem, and at this point I'd just be willing to pay someone to fix it.

    Is there a place where I could do this?

    submitted by /u/SimonFOOTBALL
    [link] [comments]

    We built IceRecap to catch up on hockey games, spoiler free

    Posted: 24 Nov 2018 01:12 PM PST

    Has using Preact over React changed much for you?

    Posted: 24 Nov 2018 12:45 PM PST

    Hey guys, just a quick question. Would like to know if using Preact over React has forced you to change alot in your ecosystem.

    Like did you had to switch over to different libraries because they didn't work the same with Preact.

    Also how is your experience compared to React?

    Thanks in advance :)

    submitted by /u/ImStifler
    [link] [comments]

    What music would you recommend coding to?

    Posted: 24 Nov 2018 12:31 PM PST

    I have my library, but it is wearing out. I would love to hear some recommendations for some coding music.

    submitted by /u/MossFlat
    [link] [comments]

    [newbie] What is your workflow when learning a new framework/library ?

    Posted: 24 Nov 2018 12:11 PM PST

    Do you google tutorial first to see the higher level, and then read the docs? If so, how long do you tackle the docs? How long do you actually practice with using it before you start to implement and build with it? Or do you just wing it and see where it goes?

    submitted by /u/incognito_mode11
    [link] [comments]

    Showoff Sat: Looking for feedback on my book blog platform addabook.net

    Posted: 24 Nov 2018 08:23 AM PST

    Hi r/webdev - in spirit of showoff Saturday, I'm looking for feedback on a CMS I built in order track thoughts/quotes on books you've read. Have literally been working on this for years so would appreciate any feedback at all. I've never shared this on reddit before. Link is below:

    https://www.addabook.net

    That homepage explains the site, and allows you to signup. If you do so, you'll have an empty account until you actually write book reviews. To see what the site looks like once you have a history of many book reviews, check out:

    https://hejenemy.addabook.net/gallery.php

    The overall idea for this was because I was doing this anyway for myself for years inside of a text file. I found it super useful as a reader and wanted to make it easier for myself, and so eventually built a CMS around it. Using APIs from Amazon, I could even track some light stats my reading habits (pages read over time, etc). Once I had all that built, it made sense to at least make it available to others.

    I am NOT a pro web developer. I've dabbled in it as a personal hobby for 10 years, but have no serious experience. This site is basically a culmination of thousands of stack overflow queries over 3 years.

    I'd love to hear any feedback. Many thanks for taking a look.

    submitted by /u/hejenemy
    [link] [comments]

    HTML5 Audio w/ Safari (iOS)

    Posted: 24 Nov 2018 11:38 AM PST

    Hello all!

    I've been developing a music blog with mobile player and it mostly works. (yay chrome)

    However, it seems to hang up when opening w/ Safari on iOS.

    if you got yourself an iPhone please checkout https://electrictooth.io/

    The Fin. - Pale Blue (soundcloud api)

    LAMBDA - ET Mixtape (my server)

    Pale Blue usually loads but the mixtape always hangs.

    Any help would be much appreciated.

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/Lambda7
    [link] [comments]

    Anybody dumping logs as json objects? How do you read them? (x-post r/node)

    Posted: 24 Nov 2018 10:56 AM PST

    my post to r/node:

    https://www.reddit.com/r/node/comments/a00rzf/options_for_reading_winstonlike_json_objects_from

    the tl;dr from that post:

    i'm dumping json objects into a log file, server-side. what's out there for legibly presenting me that information through a simple node module? i'm open to serving it out to the browser but am leaning towards something at the command line so i don't have that security hole to patch up.

    asking here as well because i'm not necessarily looking for a node-based approach.


    edit: secondary question i realized i should be asking that fits this sub better: why does it seem like i'm the only one trying to do this? centralized services seem popular but mean dealing with red tape. so what's everybody doing? just getting better and better at picking through the mess?

    submitted by /u/daveequalscool
    [link] [comments]

    Hey web folks, what are you "hiding" in the comments of your websites that's only available via "view source"?

    Posted: 24 Nov 2018 10:27 AM PST

    I sometimes add links to playlists, websites or sometimes files just to see if anyone finds them. What's the best/most unusual easter egg you've found or placed in html comments?

    submitted by /u/cheerupcharlie
    [link] [comments]

    Looking to make a cool project all by myself

    Posted: 24 Nov 2018 09:53 AM PST

    Hey guys, I've been digging into this for a while and after learning HTML, CSS, Bootstrap( 3 and 4 ) quite a bit, I'm ready for some interesting projects that I can make. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/baitacct88
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment