• Breaking News

    Friday, November 30, 2018

    I am going to be let go and replaced with an incompetent guy in two weeks. How honest should I be in the exit interview? Ask Programming

    I am going to be let go and replaced with an incompetent guy in two weeks. How honest should I be in the exit interview? Ask Programming


    I am going to be let go and replaced with an incompetent guy in two weeks. How honest should I be in the exit interview?

    Posted: 30 Nov 2018 09:54 AM PST

    I am a contractor who was working on this project for the last 7 months. A couple of months ago a permanent employee joined our project. My task was to help this guy. Yesterday I was told that my contract will not be extended anymore and that guy will be replacing me. I got really great feedback in great detail yet I was told that they have to keep the permanent guy and let me go because it was a company decision. So from Monday onwards I have to do everything together with him so he can learn things from me. Also on Monday I will have an exit interview with the leads.

    I worked really hard on this project. Which makes this all the more sad for me. For the first four months I even did unpaid overtime to meet the very tight deadlines. A few months later they put this guy on me to "help". Everything we were asked to do together this guy cleverly avoided doing. For everything he was like "I dont know what to do". "I dont know how to estimate tasks when I dont know about the system". "I dont know what to document". If I was taking shots for everytime I heard I dont know when working with this guy then I would be drunk before the end of the day.

    This guy has almost twenty years of experience as a programmer. I have about 3.5 years of experience. Yet he is always asking for help for the simplest C++ compilation errors. Everytime he cant solve an error for more than 10 minutes he comes to me. He does not google at all. A few days ago he called me four to five times and I spent a couple of hours fixing his compilation problems.

    "I dont know"

    This is this guys default answer. He is working on this project for the last three months yet whenever you ask him something you will get a response "I don't know". He is always depending on me to fix things for him. To answer things for him. The leads are forcing me to make task estimations with this guy but he does not even estimate anything. He is always like "I dont know". I dont know what to do. The amount of handholding that I did for this guy is beyond explanation. We get a task to do and he always comes to me to ask me "What to do?" . So I have explain to him what exactly his task is about. Because he never knows anything.

    I have a feeling that the company is replacing me with him because they think that they are getting a lot more experienced guy for the same amount. The architect knows a little bit about the difference between me and him and he will be in the exit interview on monday.

    How honest should i be in the exit interview? What things are good to mention ?

    Edit: Since people are suggesting that I don't bring up my replacement and be very polite. Should I just ask for a reference?

    submitted by /u/acertenay
    [link] [comments]

    C Programming project

    Posted: 30 Nov 2018 05:03 PM PST

    I am kinda lost where I should begin on this

    My project consists of creating a 3x3 grid (2d array) that represents rooms

    I have a team of 4 people who need to sneak (they r ninjas) past bad guys in rooms and search it for an item (there are 4 unique items in total)

    each of these 4 people have a sneak skill value and a search skill value. The 3x3 rooms mentioned previously all each have a required search value that the team member must either meet or surpass with their own search value in order to find the item

    I am required to use structures:

    struct ninja { int search; int stealth; };

    struct map { int searchval; int item; int found; };

    My issue is I am lost on how I should go attaching these structs to the 3x3 2d array room set up

    any help? sorry if its not clear, i tried to keep post short but I can explain further if needed

    submitted by /u/Sebbimeister
    [link] [comments]

    How do I write clean and elegant codes like a professional developer?

    Posted: 30 Nov 2018 02:23 PM PST

    What am I missing? Need help.

    Posted: 30 Nov 2018 08:17 PM PST

    This is giving me an empty stack exception when i run it. I cant for the life of me figure out why. I feel like i might be missing something simple like an if statement or something but I just cant see it. Please lend me your experienced eyes in my efforts to turn this assignment in. And sorry for terrible coding and probably hideous formatting, still a beginner obviously.

    public class Challenge3{ public static int solvePrefix(String prefix){ String[] s = prefix.split(" "); Stack<Integer> operandStack = new Stack<>(); Stack<String> operatorStack = new Stack<>(); int cntOperands = 0; int n1 = 0; int n2 = 0; int result = 0; String op = ""; for(int i = 0; i < s.length; i++){ if(isOperator(s[i])) operatorStack.push(s[i]); else if(isOperand(s[i])) operandStack.push(Integer.parseInt(s[i])) ; else throw new IllegalArgumentException(" Illegal Prefix Expression"); if(isOperand(s[i])) cntOperands++; if(cntOperands == 2) n1 = operandStack.pop(); n2 = operandStack.pop(); op = operatorStack.pop(); result = solve(op, n1, n2); operandStack.push(result); cntOperands = 0; if(operatorStack.isEmpty()) result = operandStack.pop(); // System.out.print(s[i]); //System.out.println(" Is Operator? " + isOperator(s[i]) + // ". Is Operand? " + isOperand(s[i])); } return result; 

    }

    submitted by /u/XCrease
    [link] [comments]

    Enable button from another jPanel java

    Posted: 30 Nov 2018 06:11 PM PST

    So I created this button to show another jPanel and then disable the said button. Now i want to enable this button from the newly created jPanel by pressing another button. Is it possible?

    Been trying for a while now to no avail. Thank you

    submitted by /u/YakinikuWarrior
    [link] [comments]

    Im about to graduate with a Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, but I want to work in computer science

    Posted: 30 Nov 2018 01:09 PM PST

    I have quite a bit of programming experience in a variety of languages (C# Matlab, Python, Javascript, PHP), and I realized a little too late into my degree that I want to have a career in computer science.

    What do I need to do to land entry level programming jobs after college? Will I need to get my Masters in Computer science? Will I have to take community college classes? All my programming is self taught, and while I try really hard to follow best practices, I have no formal education in programming.

    Would I be best off looking for internships out of college, or straight for entry level jobs.

    Here is my portfolio

    submitted by /u/Legin_666
    [link] [comments]

    How do I make an app? I have no background in programming except the basics of the C language. Where do I start from?

    Posted: 30 Nov 2018 04:44 PM PST

    Ultimate Tic Tac Toe for Java using Netbeans 8.2 (Need help)

    Posted: 30 Nov 2018 07:34 AM PST

    I'm currently new at programming and I'm learning java. Im working on making an ultimate tic tac toe game and these are my current road blocks:

    -I don't know how to properly implement the game rules of tic tac toe. Im using jFrame and most of the structures are quite foreign to me. You can find the rules here: https://docs.riddles.io/ultimate-tic-tac-toe/rules

    -I'm having complications with jFrame. The GUI layout gets messed up once I jpanel.setVisible(false) on one panel. I was planning to replace it with a panel indicating which player won in that set of 3x3 squares but I just can't seem to workaround it with my current knowledge. I've tried with setting the preferred dimensions or adding another panel beneath it. Seems to me that as long as the panel is empty, it becomes super small and screws the spacing for the other squares.

    Here is my code: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1FkYpSlvDFrK68xY-DCNQBnPrhJ4_kSMd?usp=sharing

    Forgive me, I haven't properly named the program yet, hopefully my variables are understandable. Any help will be greatly appreciated

    submitted by /u/DoonSpotSprinkles
    [link] [comments]

    Are there any good websites where I can practices software architecture/design?

    Posted: 30 Nov 2018 12:19 PM PST

    I would like to practice my design patterns, solid principles and making a good object oriented design. Are there any websites where I can practice that? E.g. Exercises, Quizes etc

    submitted by /u/acertenay
    [link] [comments]

    I have a programming project due in less than 2 weeks and is required for graduation. I have no idea how long it will take me to finish. I'm here to ask what is thought of the situation and if I actually have enough time to finish it and if so, what kind of resources I can use to help me finish.

    Posted: 30 Nov 2018 04:04 PM PST

    I am soon-to-be CS graduate. Most of my classes revolved around back end programming, algorithms, hardware/OS, with some SDLC and software engineering methodologies mixed in. I've finished all my classes, and it is required by my university to finish what is basically a "final project" that you are assigned to and is supposedly supposed to take a long time. Everyone may gets different final projects. The final project that was assigned to me is basically a website and database. The issue is that all my core classes and electives were focused on back end programming, and suddenly my final project which is required for graduation consists of things that I did not learn.

    So I decided to try and tackle and, and in my first few weeks of web programming, I immediately hated it. Maybe it was just because it felt like it was all memorization and syntax, and nothing about logic or algorithms, which I enjoy. I slogged through trying to finish this project, but now it is almost due and I feel like I don't have enough time. I definitely procrastinated some, but was also busy practicing for job interviews by doing programming questions involving algorithms online (something I actually enjoy and preferred to do over the assignment). I could spend hours doing those; one hour on this project and I felt like my brain was slowing down. Nevertheless, I am trying to force myself to do it but I'm panicking and worried I don't have time.

    Without going into too much detail, the overall concept of the project is an application that stores data about persons: their name, age, race, etc... there's a lot more information that goes here. I need to create a website for the user to interact with; the user can add persons by filling out a form on the website, search for persons, and from the list provided by the search, edit a specific person's information. I also want to provide a log on the website of recently added or edited persons. I may need to add permissions, so that certain user levels can only search, for example, while some kind search and add and so on.

    What I've done: I've finished a specification, and I'm about halfway done with the website. The website is extremely bare bones. There's some forms that don't work yet, and while I do have a CSS, it doesn't match the template that is required yet, so the website overall looks terrible. I need to use ColdFusion and SQL Server. I have a db instance on AWS and have connected to it and made a database and table (there is literally one table because I'm inexperienced with database systems and I felt like there were no relations between each person... it's literally just a database that stores a lot of persons). I'm trying to figure out how to make the website and database work together at the moment.

    So I am panicking a bit because I don't know if I have enough time to finish, or what kind of resources I can use to help me finish since ColdFusion seems to not be widely used from my experience with Google.

    submitted by /u/LostDevices
    [link] [comments]

    Scraping email addresses with mailto: links from website's store locator.

    Posted: 30 Nov 2018 03:55 PM PST

    Hello, I was wondering if this is possible: there's this company in our industry, www.dogo.mx, who could be a very good customer, and they have franchises all over the country, that we'd love to email to offer our products.

    They have this store locator at (http://www.dogo.mx/index.php/puntos-de-venta/) which you can search for any branches close to a location. Once the search is made, by hovering over the map markers, you get the store's information, including an email address in the form of a mailto: link.

    Is there any way to build a program that can scrape all of these emails to a database, so we don't have to manually look for them and fill out the DB one at a time?

    I'm not looking for a program (yet), but I'd like to know if it's possible to do it in the first place.

    Thank you in advance for any replies! Cheers!

    submitted by /u/jclinares
    [link] [comments]

    I got some questions about using hash for authentication

    Posted: 30 Nov 2018 03:47 PM PST

    C#, PHP, SQL

    I am trying to establish a connection between a program I'm writing and my website's database. I can easily retrieve data from the website's database right now. I want to authenticate users that login on the program, using the users stored on the website's database.

    Currently, I am retrieving the USERNAME and the PASSWORD(hashed). No problem comparing the username because it's not hashed. For the password I was thinking I would re-hash the password in the program and compare it to the one retrieved from the website's database (wordpress is handling the hashing). It feels 'icky' though. Is that right? Anytime I have to repeat a process it doesn't seem right to me. It also doesn't seem right that I would have the plain text password and the hashed version in the same place at the same time. Leading me to think I need to perform the 'check' within the PHP.

    I am new to PHP so any shared resources are greatly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/knobblez
    [link] [comments]

    In Fortran 90/95, what does a range like ":A,B:" represent?

    Posted: 30 Nov 2018 11:40 AM PST

    I tried looking it up, but I keep seeing "A:B", which I understand.

    I have a case structure which basically goes:

    select case(x)
    ......case(:1,6:)
    ............y = 1
    ......case(3)
    ............y = 2
    ......case(4)
    ............y = 3
    ......case(5)
    ...........y = 4
    end select

    Sorry about the formatting, I'm at work and can't really post my code anywhere else and don't know how to properly format here. Imagine the ...'s are a tab or spaces or whatever you prefer. I understand that the decision on where to go is based on x, and if x is 3,4, or 5, it'll go into those cases, respectively. So does :1,6: mean if x = 1 or x = 6? Or if x>=1 or x<=6?

    EDIT: Resolved. It means x<= -1 or x>=6. See here.

    submitted by /u/synchh
    [link] [comments]

    What is the best way to learn how to create an iOS app in one week? I want to develop a social media app. I have a solid programming background.

    Posted: 30 Nov 2018 11:26 AM PST

    Noob looking for help with data analysis

    Posted: 30 Nov 2018 08:47 AM PST

    Hello

    I hope this is the right place for this, and that this kind of thread is ok. I have hundreds of invoices for my business, and I'd like to run some kind of script that adds them all up, instead of opening them all and doing it analog with a calculator. The trouble is, I really don't know where to start. The file type is OpenDocument Spreadsheet. And the invoice total is in the same cell on every one of them.

    Is this something that would be done in python? I really don't know where to start, or what I'm looking for.

    Thanks for reading

    submitted by /u/SpunkAlarm
    [link] [comments]

    360 degree video standalone webapp

    Posted: 30 Nov 2018 02:09 PM PST

    Hey all. I have a website which consists of a virtual tour of 360 degree photos and video. I want to create a standalone application with it, and so far, I have an electron version of it, but I'm having trouble finding a way to convert it into either a standalone exe file or either an exe or msi installer.

    Does anyone have a way to package an electron application into a standalone exe or a Windows installer? If not, is there a better way than to use electron? I like electron, but am not sure if it's the best solution here.

    (I think that this belongs in this subreddit, as it's technically programming that I need help with. I can do basic JS if need be, but preferably not too much as this needs to be done by Wednesday and I don't have much time.)

    submitted by /u/HangryDave
    [link] [comments]

    How can I Convert Linux shell script to windows batch file? Or is there a way that we can run both using a single script?

    Posted: 30 Nov 2018 08:45 AM PST

    *Both using a single script independent of platform

    submitted by /u/ZER_0_NE
    [link] [comments]

    Attribution Mapping - (google OAuth)

    Posted: 30 Nov 2018 12:10 PM PST

    I have a WordPress site that I want users to login with using google.

    I am running into an error that i don't have fields mapped correctly for the Attribution Mapping..

    I don't know what I'm supposed to use here.

    Any advice?

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/b2bdataguy
    [link] [comments]

    Best web framework for a 'question-based' project?

    Posted: 30 Nov 2018 11:24 AM PST

    Hey askprogramming!

    I want to build a simple weekend hacked-together project. It'll ask users a few questions (about their career), then, based on some logic, give them some things to do based on those questions.

    Requirements:

    • quick to code
    • easy to host
    • users can sign in / out / forgot pass, etc

    What's a good web framework / stack to do this?

    Rails? Something in node.js? Any advice appreciated.

    submitted by /u/evlswn
    [link] [comments]

    Traffic API

    Posted: 30 Nov 2018 05:34 AM PST

    IS there an API that gives me an estimated time of arrival using directions and traffic + incidents?

    Both Tomtom and Google offer directions and traffic info on a "per square" basis - any help?

    submitted by /u/FluidResearcher
    [link] [comments]

    C# Interop.Excel - Null Range Object Exception

    Posted: 30 Nov 2018 07:18 AM PST

    Hi,

    For some reason I'm unable to retrieve the value of a cell using C#'s Interop.Excel library. I'm getting a null reference exception when trying to access the .Value property of a Range object. The sheet in question definitely has a value in the cell I'm targeting. Any tips? Please see the code below:

    using System;

    using System.Data;

    using System.Collections.Generic;

    using Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel;

    namespace C__Test

    {

    class Program

    {

    static void Main(string[] args)

    {

    Application xlApp = new Application();

    xlApp.DisplayAlerts = false;

    xlApp.ScreenUpdating = false;

    xlApp.Visible = false;

    Workbook xlBook = xlApp.Workbooks.Open(@"C:\Users\tsgardn\Desktop\test.xlsb",Type.Missing,true);

    _Worksheet xlSheet = (_Worksheet)xlBook.Worksheets["Scorecard"];

    xlBook.RefreshAll();

    Range ranges = xlSheet.UsedRange;

    foreach (Range c in ranges.Cells) {

    Console.WriteLine("Address: " + c.Address + "Value: " + c.Value);

    }

    xlBook.SaveAs(@"C:\Users\tsgardn\Desktop\Corelogic Flood Scorecard - New.xlsb");

    xlBook.Close(false);

    }

    }

    }

    submitted by /u/TheKamon
    [link] [comments]

    Need a help with Google Search API

    Posted: 30 Nov 2018 04:59 AM PST

    IDK yet is Google Search API relative to my problem, but I guess that it's most possible solution. So the matter of question is how to get full address using Google API if I have only part of address. For example: Having only something like Berlin I'd like to retrieve both name of province/state and country name.

    Right now I don't know where to dig and how to search information about similar service and if it's not related to Google services then I'd like to see your other ideas/solutions.

    Thank you in advice for any response.

    submitted by /u/haikeebo
    [link] [comments]

    I want to learn robotics from scratch. I have a bit of Pascal and C++. Which is the best path for me?

    Posted: 30 Nov 2018 12:27 AM PST

    No comments:

    Post a Comment