• Breaking News

    Wednesday, November 21, 2018

    Big 4 Discussion - November 21, 2018 CS Career Questions

    Big 4 Discussion - November 21, 2018 CS Career Questions


    Big 4 Discussion - November 21, 2018

    Posted: 20 Nov 2018 11:06 PM PST

    Please use this thread to have discussions about the Big 4 and questions related to the Big 4, such as which one offers the best doggy benefits, or how many companies are in the Big 4 really? Posts focusing solely on Big 4 created outside of this thread will probably be removed.

    Abide by the rules, don't be a jerk.

    This thread is posted each Sunday and Wednesday at midnight PST. Previous Big 4 Discussion threads can be found here.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Daily Chat Thread - November 21, 2018

    Posted: 20 Nov 2018 11:06 PM PST

    Please use this thread to chat, have casual discussions, and ask casual questions. Moderation will be light, but don't be a jerk.

    This thread is posted every day at midnight PST. Previous Daily Chat Threads can be found here.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    To all those who are struggling with computer programming or doubting their abilities, or to those considering a mid-life career change. I’d like to share a bit of my story.

    Posted: 21 Nov 2018 09:17 AM PST

    I'm 37 years old and I've had a lot of jobs. Like A LOT. I have been a roofer, a welder, a framer, worked at grocery stores, at a small-town newspaper, every major gas station chain, built air conditioners at Trane, and even worked as a baker for a bit. Up until 6 years ago I was a mechanic. Suffice it to say, I've always been a bit lost career-wise. I had a bad habit of working at a job for about a year, getting bored with it, and quitting. Usually by just not showing up again. Looking back, I feel a bit shitty about it all.

    Five years ago, my wife and I moved with our 2-year-old daughter to southeast Iowa (US) to attempt to re-start my father-in-law's tofu company. Logistics caused us a lot of headaches and it fell through pretty quick. We found ourselves in a town of 9,500 people without much in the way of job prospects. The blue-collar life had taken its toll on me, and I had no interest working on rusted out cars in some seriously harsh winters. I needed something else. There was a community college about 30 miles away that offered some attractive associate degree programs, generally 24-month technical degrees in robotics, photonics, geospatial technology, electronic engineering, etc. I threw a dart at a map and chose software development. The only experience I had in any kind of programming was when I would mess around with the html in my MySpace background 15 years ago. I really had no idea what it was all about, but I had the opportunity to go for it. I consider myself to be of average to moderate intelligence and I'm good at taking tests. The program didn't dive too deep into actual computer science and I didn't have too much of a problem following the logic and theory of programming. So while I struggled a little I made it through with good grades.

    Six months after graduating, I got a job at a major retailer in Wisconsin and set to work. And. I. fucking. hated. it. I felt like a fucking idiot on a daily basis. I couldn't wrap my head around the real-life application of computer programming, having only really followed along to tutorials and step-by-step assignments in school. I was working in an obscure language with very little online community support, so Stack Overflow wasn't there to save me. I was just lost in it all. Our office was pretty relaxed as far as our schedules were concerned, so I would make excuses to leave early a few times a week just to get away from it. I was beating my head against a wall and getting pretty much nowhere. For the next two years, I watched the other developers who were hired the same time I was sail through projects, get assigned higher priority work, get promoted, and seemingly really get in the groove of things. And here I was, circling the drain. I felt doomed. Not only did I not feel like I fit in with the company (I'm covered in tattoos, and this was a pretty conservative Midwestern company), my wife and I didn't fit in with the town (again, a couple progressive old punks in the Bible Belt). I felt like my manager, who was actually really great, was just waiting for me to quit so he wouldn't have to fire me. My mentor was awful and never had time to help me. I felt like I was bothering the senior devs with my questions. My code reviews were nightmares. I just felt like I wasn't meant to be a programmer, and the proof was all around me. I wanted to give up.

    But I couldn't. I knew I owed it to myself and to my family to at least try to find work with a different company. If I went somewhere else, and had the same experience, then I could say that I just wasn't cut out for this type of work. I started applying for jobs everywhere I could. I looked into where grocery stores had their headquarters, where insurance companies were based, if banks and credit unions needed developers, hospitals and state/local government departments, and so on. I knew I wasn't Google material, and I knew I didn't want to work for a start-up, so I looked for jobs that weren't on everyone's radar. I ended up focusing on Austin, TX. I had family living there and there are a lot of job opportunities. But I wasn't getting any callbacks being in Wisconsin. My wife and I decided to take the leap and move to Austin without having anything lined up, I always had my mechanic experience to fall back on. Disclosure: I feel amazingly fortunate that I was able to make this move, and I understand not everyone would be able to just up and move across the country.

    Things changed real quick once we got to town. I interviewed for and was offered a software developer position within two weeks. It has been a month now and it is COMPLETELY different than my experience in Wisconsin. My co-workers are awesome, my mentor ACTUALLY mentors me, the team leaders really go to bat for their developers, and the overall environment is incredibly encouraging. Things click a lot more for me now and I no longer feel like I 'just don't get it'. I work in Python and Django mostly, which I am really enjoying. My job is in the public sector, so there is no more working to increase profits for a billionaire boss. I look forward to coming into work! I was on the verge of giving up on programming, now I can really see myself here for the foreseeable future. If you think you can't make it as a programmer, you owe it to yourself to stick with it. At least try a different job, it really could make all the difference.

    TL;DR A mid-life career change into computer programming is totally possible, even if you have no experience. If you find yourself struggling/doubting your abilities early on in your career, the problem may not be you but actually your environment. You owe it to yourself to not give up, but instead to find a job that will support you in your learning.

    Edit: PARAGRAPHS

    submitted by /u/popsensibilities
    [link] [comments]

    How do you know when you "get it"

    Posted: 21 Nov 2018 06:49 AM PST

    After failing countless interviews and hacker ranks, I decided I should revisit all the Data Structures and Algorithms and learn them all over again. As I go through each data structure and read about them everything sounds intuitive and easy to understand. However, as soon as I approach a leetcode problem on it or look at textbook questions I have no fucking idea what is going on. Clearly this is the reason I am not getting an internship this summer, so I want to make sure I improve efficiently.

    So, how do you guys know when you are truly confident enough to move onto the next topic and that you "get it".

    edit: took out the acronyms since a lot of ppl said they didn't know what they stand for

    submitted by /u/PuzzleheadedMoose1
    [link] [comments]

    Received a "first come first serve offer" from a company. 10 offers, 2 spots. Is this common?

    Posted: 21 Nov 2018 02:07 PM PST

    My recruiter called, congratulating me for receiving a SWE intern offer. She then continued to say that they had sent out 10 offers but only have 2 positions left and it's first come first serve. Has anyone else been in this situation/how do you think through it? I'm still waiting for results from a few other final rounds.

    submitted by /u/monsoon206
    [link] [comments]

    Machine learning engineers/A.I engineers. What is your job really like? Are you actually "qualified"?

    Posted: 21 Nov 2018 08:44 AM PST

    I'm still a student currently working as a full time software engineer.

    I'm curious about ML, did some research projects about genetic engineering and with all the math and complex structures I don't think I could do it for a living.

    But i would love to work on fun side projects that use object tracking, noise recognition etc.. Obviously I dont need to reinvent the wheel since they're dozens of libraries I can use. But I was wondering, as a soon-to-be CS grad with only up to integral calculus knowledge can I effectively use these libraries to make what I want? Is the heavy math only involved when dealing with research and coming up with new algorithms?

    submitted by /u/CSstudentNosib
    [link] [comments]

    Do Engineers at the Tech Giants Care More?

    Posted: 21 Nov 2018 09:14 AM PST

    First off, I'll be open: I work for Capital One; I believe they're relatively well liked within this community. People say good things about them and they pay their TDPs quite well (as someone that was a professional hire from another company, I cannot say I was so fortunate). Benefits are very good.

    I've been here a few years and I am either burnt out or cranky, but the engineers here just don't seem to give a shit. I couldn't tell you what my title translates to anymore, but I'm some sort of Cloud Engineer/SRE/DevOps/Software Engineer/Systems Engineer monstrosity hybrid. People need me for their AWS account stuff? I'm the guy. People need me for their database performance? I'm the guy. Proxy? I'm the guy. If you work at Capital One, you know my name and you've probably DM'd me on Slack. Regardless, I talk to a lot of people and I troubleshoot nearly everyone's issues (shout out to the people who page me directly via PagerDuty at 3am!).

    The people here don't care. It's exceptionally frustrating. An extremely large number of people here are hoping for that sweet severance (6 months to a year depending on your title) and hope they get downsized or straight up fired. I've been on a couple teams now due to necessity and attended more stand ups than I'd like to think about. Often I'll hear things like, "Yea, yesterday I tried to track down this issue for like 30 minutes and I couldn't figure it out; haven't decided what I'm doing today..." and then people nod and move to the next person. It blows my mind. So far today I've seen two questions that serve as excellent examples:

    1. "Why doesn't my command work? I'm trying to install my dependencies. I'm running `maven install` but it says command not found: maven. Any ideas?"
    2. "Why can't I clone my repository? It was working last week. `curl https://github.com/`"

    Neither of those are hyperbole by the way. Anyone is free to DM me and find out what Slack channels those are in if they want to see them for themselves. Those were from senior and mid-level engineers, respectively. Those are every day questions; those are the status quo for the bullshit I wade through. The level of effort put in by either of those engineers could not be lower; it amazes me the average title of the people asking for help on the simplest things.

    I'd like to think that people aren't this dumb. I didn't do well in school; I'm not solving LeetCode hards in my sleep -- hell, I struggle on easys (it'll happen to you too, Mr. College Grad). But, people here genuinely don't seem to try; there's no sense of ownership, no pride. People respond to me with, "Well, if I finish all my work they just give me more work!" and I just don't have the fight in me anymore to reply to them. I've begun my journey looking for other jobs -- companies that hire people that care. Is the grass any greener on the other side -- FAANG/Big N -- or should I just hop to a similar company for more pay and work my way up the totem pole there with my, quoting management here with my eyes rolled, "natural gift for software"?

    submitted by /u/RepresentativeDeer4
    [link] [comments]

    Is this offer too good to be true?

    Posted: 21 Nov 2018 03:41 PM PST

    (This is not my main account cuz co-worker knows my Reddit handle)

    Hello, so I just graduated college and started working in a < 60 people tech consulting company last July, making a little over 87k a year. No internship experience. I'm located in DC area. This job got me a secret clearance. All is well.

    However, I recently got bored and started applying to places. One consulting company reached out to me one day after me applying and had a one hour hr discussion about my current job, experience, clearance level. When they asked what I want I was like "125-150k". Then after just one day they just emailed me an offer. Offer is as following:

    135k, 5 week PTO plus federal holidays off, 6% 401k match, Possible bonus based on performance, $0 signing bonus

    All this sounds awesome but they said at the end - this offer is contingent on me getting staffed on a project. They said I have to respond by December 3rd or byeeeeee.

    From the recruiter it seems like this place has no more than 50 people with all departments combined. I have done nothing more than a phone interview at this point, and this interview wasnt even technical at all, and getting an email offer already seems too good to be true?

    I looked them up on Glassdoor, they have a total of 5 five-star perfect reviews. On LinkedIn, it looks like they have a total of 12 followers.

    Nonetheless, im considering accepting given that big of a bump in base pay. But, before I make my decision while eating turkey, can you guys give me your thoughts? Is this a scam or too good to be true? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/jakobwrxfan
    [link] [comments]

    Databricks vs Uber for internship

    Posted: 21 Nov 2018 05:08 PM PST

    Hey everybody, I'm a sophomore in college, and I have offers from Databricks for their distributed computing team and Uber ATG for their self driving car team.

    Uber ATG: Pay: 44 and hour with 2k a month for housing

    Pros: - well known brand name with cool team, would help getting other offers - self driving cars are pretty fucking cool

    Cons: - lots of controversy lately - no specific project guarantee, could get something pretty meh

    Databricks: Pay: 8.5k a month with 1.8k a month for housing

    Pros: - great culture fit for me, people there seem to be from research backgrounds - would be working with Berkeley Ph.Ds, so I could get a respectable letter of rec

    Cons: - small startup with low visibility outside of the big data scene

    Both pay reasonably well (Databricks pays a little more) and both are working in technologies that I think I'll enjoy working on. Databricks seems to be respected in the big data scene, but Uber just feels to carry more "prestige". Halp pls

    Need help on deciding on which one to take!

    submitted by /u/chickenpowerUSA
    [link] [comments]

    Why are many people in this field arrogant and condescending? How do you deal with people like that?

    Posted: 21 Nov 2018 03:29 PM PST

    I work with a arrogant asshole who likes to laugh when people don't understand things. His tone of voice is so fucking condescending when he explains things and somehow he's respected by his managers.

    Do you just have to accept these types of people? Can you even bring it up with a manager or do these assholes just get away with this?

    submitted by /u/tripper2050
    [link] [comments]

    Got an internship offer! But...what now?

    Posted: 21 Nov 2018 06:07 PM PST

    First off, want to say I'm extremely grateful for this. Got off the phone yesterday with my recruiter and she told me that this was a verbal offer and that I'm in the process of getting matched to a team! She also told me that in about a week or so I'll get an official offer through email describing what team I'm on, what location I'll be at, etc and maybe another phone call with other questions.

    I've been so overwhelmed and thankful (happy early Thanksgiving!) by this amazing news, but I just wanted to ask, what should I do next? It seems like wherever I would go online, there's an endless amount of resources about GETTING the technical internship and it makes it seem as if the job is done once you get the internship. Is that really the case? How can I best prepare myself (other than trying my best in my classes) to do the best I can during next summer's internship? Are there things I should know/work on before next summer? How can I be a good intern?

    Would highly appreciate any advice. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/guywholikesMilkis
    [link] [comments]

    Lyft on-site for intern

    Posted: 21 Nov 2018 07:55 PM PST

    Has anyone taken this part of the second step? It says it's using files but I would like more insight? Thank you so much😭😭😭😭

    submitted by /u/Dharan-m8
    [link] [comments]

    I want to improve myself as a software engineer. Should i focus all my free time on mastering the language(C++) or should i focus on other aspects?

    Posted: 21 Nov 2018 02:17 PM PST

    I am a software engineer with 4-6 years of experience (depending on if you count my 2 years of academic experience). All of my professional experience was in c styled languages. I started with objective c and now working in c++.

    How do I spend my free time to improve myself as a software engineer? Today I was learning the types of cast in c++ and it seemed like a waste of time. I don't know if two years from now I will be still working a c++ job. Then why should I spend so much time learning c++ specific things?

    So when improving yourself as a programmer do you focus on the programming language? Or the design and architecture stuff?

    My main goal is to become very good as a software engineer so that I can do my job easily and I can do very well in intervews. What is your suggestion?

    submitted by /u/acertenay
    [link] [comments]

    Did I get silently rejected?

    Posted: 21 Nov 2018 05:59 PM PST

    So I got contacted by a recruiter to interview for a position, and the recruiter asked me for my availability to schedule an interview and so I responded within a couple hours. 3 Days have gone by and I've gotten no response, and with Turkey Day being tomorrow I won't get a response any time soon I assume.

    This is for a dream internship of mine, so I'm pretty anxious about this... It's kind of frustrating because I spent a good amount of time researching the company's products, because I expected I would be interviewing soon. Should I contact the recruiter next week or maybe wait longer since they might be extra busy on monday? Or is this a common method of rejecting people?

    submitted by /u/soks1
    [link] [comments]

    CS questions from someone in a different field

    Posted: 21 Nov 2018 03:11 PM PST

    I have a cousin who got his computer science degree one and a half years ago. He has never interned and is currently looking for employment. Thanksgiving is coming up and the whole family is going to give him a hard time for not working yet.

    I've spend the last several hours on this sub reading about CS. I had no idea how important projects are to a resume. I had no idea what "white board" stuff was or that the interviewing process can take many many months. I had no idea now competitive it was to get into the field. I had a couple of questions and I don't know where else to try and get answers.

    1. My cousin wants to code (not sure what that even is). Various family members have offered him entry level IT Help Desk full time jobs . Is this a slap in the face? He expressed no interest.

    2. Is time better suited working on projects and other skills than working the above job? He lives at home. Doesn't need the money.

    3. How long can it take to get employment?

    4. How can I help him stress out less?

    If this post does not belong here, it's ok to delete it. Thank you for your time.

    submitted by /u/AnyTrust
    [link] [comments]

    Switching careers to computer science - second bachelor's degree?

    Posted: 21 Nov 2018 09:35 AM PST

    I know this topic has been beaten to death but I would like to get everyone's opinion on what you think would be the most viable path for my situation.

    I'm 25 years old and already have a shitty non-STEM bachelor's degree that is basically useless. Things were working out great for me after I graduated but some bad circumstances happened which resulted in significant changes and caused me to re-evaluate my life and career. As a result of these changes the uselessness of my degree has been amplified. It's water over the dam at this point and I'm ready to move on.

    I'm leaning towards getting a second bachelor's degree because I think it's the safest route and will give me the most options. I have been doing some self-studying but don't really feel like I've learned a lot and it's hard to keep at it since I'm working full time too and don't have much energy.

    I found a computer science program at an in state university and it would cost approximately $12,000 total, including all fees. Since I already have a degree I would only have to take computer science courses, approximately 17 courses total and around 52 credits. The curriculum looks pretty solid too and has data structures and algorithms, programming, databases, networks and security, operating systems, etc.

    What do you think?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/csadvice838
    [link] [comments]

    When to tell my employer I am resigning? Now or later?

    Posted: 21 Nov 2018 01:57 AM PST

    I was offered a position to work for a competitor while on a two-week vacation. The leadership team is known to fire employees on the spot when resigning to work for a competitor, but I am currently on PTO. Employees who resign are not allowed to use any PTO, and require four week's notice, but with me being on a two-week vacation, I will be leaving as soon as I return from my time off as I will be starting my new position in two weeks. I want to be fair but I also don't want to get fired and potentially have my approved PTO revoked for letting my current company know. Do I wait to get back from vacation to resign effective immediately to ensure I get paid out on my PTO, or email my manager now to resign--risking my PTO and potentially get fired now?

    submitted by /u/str33tgyrl
    [link] [comments]

    What to expect at AWS re:Invent?

    Posted: 21 Nov 2018 02:41 PM PST

    I'm headed to my first AWS re:Invent this year in Vegas! Has anyone else ever been? What do I wear? Anything I should pack or try to do while there? Anything else I should know?

    submitted by /u/MoltoAllegro
    [link] [comments]

    What Should I Start Doing ASAP If I Want to Hop Jobs in 6 Months?

    Posted: 21 Nov 2018 04:05 PM PST

    Hey all,

    As the title says, I'm looking to hopefully be job hopping before Summer '19. By then I will have 4 years of technical experience/post-graduation employment. I have no side projects currently, but I don't know how much that matters as you get more years under your belt.

    Current plan:

    Go through CTCI -> Grind LC

    Add some commits to my public GitHub with a side project or contribute to an existing project

    Is there anything else glaringly obvious I should do otherwise? Volunteer work? Books to read? Grab certifications?

    I get hit up on LinkedIn all the time, so I think I could grab any random development job, but I want to go to something a little more prestigious (currently at a Fortune 100) or, at the least, with a little bit more of a 'technical culture'.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/RareMarionberry
    [link] [comments]

    Leetcode when to start?

    Posted: 21 Nov 2018 07:35 PM PST

    So I'm doing this online program and will start looking for a job, maybe a year or a year and a half from now not before, for reasons I can't get to right now, so anytime a year or more from now. So my question is, should I start leetcode prep now or wait a year and start prepping like 6 months before anticipated job start date? Also I'm still in the early days of my degree, with only 2 courses under my belt. I still have to do data structures and algs and other courses under my belt.

    Anyway — thoughts? I'd like to signup for the Black Friday deal so give me opinions!

    Also I haven't done ctci yet.

    submitted by /u/hansolo0210
    [link] [comments]

    Desperate, Exhausted, At the End of My Rope: Advice Requested

    Posted: 21 Nov 2018 07:26 PM PST

    Hi, all. Hoping some folks in the community could offer up some advice for someone who feels like the walls are closing in and is becoming increasingly...hateful (might almost be the right word) of the industry's hiring process. Some of this might read as a rant, but I will try and keep it on-point.

    My backstory is that I'm a front-end UI/interaction developer with three years experience coding, less-than-one year team leadership under my belt. HTML, CSS/SCSS, ES5/ES6, one of the prominent JS frameworks (not the one that matters, apparently!), a sprinkle of other utility libraries and templating engines. You get the idea. Started this as a late-life career change and have been liking it. It's the career I thought would be sticking, finally.

    When I got that first job in the industry, well, I was a complete scrub and to this day have no idea how I landed it. Regardless, I found my footing, worked my ass off, gave a shit about the quality of code I output when so many devs around me had checked out, and helped modernize some of the development processes within this massive organization. Within three years I was promoted twice, until my managers wanted to grab the wheel and steer me out of development onto a collision course with middle-management, which they successfully convinced me to do, so I tried that for a little while before this position resulted in an unbearable malaise and I quit. Took some time off and enjoyed the early backpacking season, and had a friend referring me as a front-end dev to their acquaintance's company where somebody with my skills was needed. That progressed far into the hiring process and seemed like a sure thing. It was not.

    Now, I know what you're thinking: this idiot leapt out of his position without much of a strategy other than hoping the other position came through. You're not wrong. I think it so much a mistake that I have a perverse nostalgia for the malaise, because at least it means I'm making money to support my family, etc.

    But I can't go back and change it -- I fucked that up and am living with it now.

    In the past few months I've had near a dozen interviews that got past the phone screen. When it came time for a coding test, most of them I finished in the allotted time, but on the two occasions when I did not, I followed up that day with the completed code, always higher quality than the tight call allowed. One of those I submitted two versions to show different ways of doing the problem. Both of those went to the next phase.

    Some asked for a take-home assignment, which is a format I really enjoy, since it alleviates that code test nervousness that comes with somebody looking over one's shoulder as they work. One of these take-homes was for a technical writer position (I have a background in writing/editing, too) at a company I've admired for a long time and I was so fucking stoked about this position it was hard to contain it on the phone speaking to the team leader. I took two days to write this one page of documentation and passed it by my friend with fifteen-years experience in technical documentation (they did not write it for me or have any hand in it other than proofing the final version), and they said it looked pro-level.

    Naturally the team lead didn't like it and I was knocked out. I actually grovelled, asking the lead to collaborate with me on the documentation and let me know where it went wrong. God, I wanted to work there so badly.

    One of my previous employee's competitors approached me to see if I could do basically the same thing I was doing before (same basic malaise job) and I was starting to feel some financial pain, so I agreed to interview. The in-person interview went so smoothly, so well -- I crushed it more than I've ever crushed an interview before and had an excellent repoire with all but one of the six people that interviewed me.

    Without elaborating, they said 'no thanks,' but contacted me about two weeks later saying they had another position that was one step down from my previous job's responsibilities, so right back into being an individual contributor, which is great news!

    I get through and go for the in-person and there to interview me it's four out of five of The. Same. Fucking. People. Once again, I smash this interview. Confident answers from soup to nuts.

    Naturally, I don't get the position. Not enough React experience. Just one stupid thing (that I could get myself up to speed on in the time it takes for the background check to clear)...

    Not everything went completely smoothly. One in-person interview did go poorly, but, in my defense, the parameters of the role were changed between the coding test and the in-person, so I was not prepared for what came, though think I did so-so. (Role changed from UI/interaction dev to full-stack dev.)

    Got turned down for a freelance gig recently. Even went cheap on the price, because it was a straightforward job and I wanted to use it as a freelance portfolio-builder. Got turned down today for front-end dev at a popular company that provides cloud document storage. "Not what the team is looking for." It was very close in description to what I was doing before.

    I've been wracking my brains trying to figure out if there's something I'm not doing or projecting that's holding employers back.

    A lot of my friends work in software, they've offered to help me with algorithms and data structures, which I love them for, but I've never been asked to implement bubble sort or a doubly-linked list before. That's not the kind of thing I do as a front-end UI/interaction dev.

    Others tell me to build up a portfolio, though not having a portfolio and throwing to my previous work at Widget Corp. has always got me through to the coding test. (To be clear, I'm not resistant to building a portfolio.)

    It seems that I could pass the phone screen, coding tests, maybe even the in-person and be deficient in one or two of the dozen listed required skills and then be turned down. Nevermind that even a regular Joe, non-10x, front-end developer like me can skill up in those areas before the ink on the hiring papers can dry (learning new technologies is just part of the job).

    I don't get it and am feeling close to a breakdown. I'm not too proud to say I've cried a couple times.

    Seriously, is there some secret sauce I need to slather over my body? Do I need to lie? Cheat?

    I hear all the time there's an industry shortage of talent, but I am hard-fucking-pressed to see it. Nobody's once approached me to say "we need people, we'll train you if necessary."

    If anybody sees red flags in what I've posted here, please let me know before I go try law school or something...

    submitted by /u/mayormcmatt
    [link] [comments]

    Road to becoming a Software Consultant

    Posted: 21 Nov 2018 07:18 PM PST

    Good evening guys/gals. I'm a Mechatronics Engineering student and have decided to completely ditch hardware and dive fully into software. I would like my work to be varied so I figured I would enjoy software consulting (will also give me a lot of experience towards working independently as a consultant in the future). I have some coding experience but have never worked on any project that I could talk passionately talk about.

    I am going to be aggressively searching for a co-op for Summer 2019, and would love to hear what you think I should focus on over the next few months. I am most familiar with C, Python, Java (barely 2 years ago) in that order. What languages should I be proficient in? What types of independent projects should I work on?

    Any advice is appreciated, thank you for reading.

    submitted by /u/zogeta1
    [link] [comments]

    M vs. Akuna Capital for internship?

    Posted: 21 Nov 2018 07:17 PM PST

    M: Windows Server OS / Azure Platform team (they're the team that "owns" the servers that Azure runs on according to what they told me during the interviews)

    - I'm not sure if their codebase is modern (using C++11 - can I use C++11 in the codebase?) or I'll be stuck maintaining legacy code. Anyone have an idea? Will I learn a lot there?

    - It seems like this is one of the more interesting/stronger teams at M from what I heard from people I know at M, so on a resume it looks really good (correct me if I'm wrong).

    Akuna Capital: C++ development

    - The interview was way more difficult than at M, and we had a good discussion on low-level concepts and on modern C++, which makes me think they're strong engineers. They're also in development phase, so probably almost no legacy maintenance work, and they said they're using C++11, so that's a big plus.

    - Branding isn't as strong (correct me if I'm wrong).

    submitted by /u/SpecialistPractice5
    [link] [comments]

    How to get my first internship

    Posted: 21 Nov 2018 07:13 PM PST

    I am currently a freshman computer science major and I was wondering what I need to do in order to get my first internship. I have heard that doing side projects is really important but what types of side projects do employers like to see on resumes. I really want to make an iOS app and I am wondering if that would look good on a resume. It seems like getting your very first internship is tough but after that, it gets easier, so how do I get past this initial lack of experience.

    submitted by /u/drizzy2424
    [link] [comments]

    How do you choose the work environment so that you balance between liking what you do and the subject but being in a high pressure or serious environment won’t destroy one of your best passions?

    Posted: 21 Nov 2018 07:10 PM PST

    I like coding, there's also topics I'm really passionate about coding for. It turns out that I'm the type to stop liking the subject once it's high pressure, pushing yourself to meet that deadline, etc. then I'm not passionate about coding it anymore. I still slightly enjoy coding it, if I have to be put in a high pressure environment when I'm a hitting a wall, I wouldn't have it happen with any other field but this one. It's just the passion for coding that specific subject is gone after that. That initial passion is also one of the reasons I can push through it even though it's fustrating.

    I was looking for a balance between something I'm passionate about that I can stay committed to when it's hard but not so passionate about that it would be a big issue to me if lost my interest in it.

    submitted by /u/csguy66
    [link] [comments]

    At what point should your yearly total compensation be over $200k in Silicon Valley?

    Posted: 21 Nov 2018 06:51 PM PST

    i.e. how much/what experience is needed? What factors change this value?

    submitted by /u/InternetGandhi
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment