• Breaking News

    Wednesday, October 31, 2018

    Does anyone else feel like college is killing their love of programming? learn programming

    Does anyone else feel like college is killing their love of programming? learn programming


    Does anyone else feel like college is killing their love of programming?

    Posted: 31 Oct 2018 01:07 PM PDT

    I'm sure not everyone's school is like this and I know that there are great computer science curriculums out there but I'm attending a small public university for my CS degree and I'm about half way through it and I'm having trouble finding motivation to complete my coursework. I used to be super motivated to study in my own time, work on personal projects, learn new tech stacks, etc.

    I just feel like the sort of assignments I'm being asked to complete in school feel more like rote chores than actually learning. The courses also move incredibly slow and a lot of the content is incredibly outdated. In my web programming II class we are using "dynamic html" to make a scrolling marquee of news items. I mean come on, this is half way through the semester of the second level course.

    It really is sucking the fun out of programming for me. Can anyone else share their experiences? Should I ditch the degree and head off on my own? Bootcamp?

    submitted by /u/234879
    [link] [comments]

    SQL Trainer - learn sql queries by doing

    Posted: 31 Oct 2018 12:49 AM PDT

    Hi,

    Despite years of experience in programming, SQL (Structured Query Language) always felt like something difficult. So I've made this free online simulator to help with learning basic SQL queries:

    ByteScout SQL Trainer.

    The main idea is to have excercises that run on live data that is close to real one. The simulator includes orders and customers tables preloaded and there are 14 excercises where you should first read an introduction into a command and then try it yourself. 12+ excercises are included covering from basic keywords to more complex ones like filtering by range or using JOIN.

    What do you think? Is it fun or not? Is it making sense to add more complex sql queries into this simulator?

    submitted by /u/zizi77
    [link] [comments]

    Top Websites to learn programming! 2018

    Posted: 31 Oct 2018 11:37 PM PDT

    These are top websites to learn programming online. Most of them are free but some of makes you pay after some period of time.

    Here is the link >> Top 5 Websites To Learn Coding Online - Beginners/Intermediate

    submitted by /u/Tahir1259
    [link] [comments]

    How important is 'practice' during the newbie stages?

    Posted: 31 Oct 2018 06:01 PM PDT

    I am listening to beginner's lectures (CS:50, CS:50 Web Programming, etc.) and to various live coding examples and tutorials on YouTube.

    I understand almost everything and the concepts are clear to me. Things I don't understand, I look up on Stackoverflow and usually find an explanation.

    However, I have not really coded anything alone yet. Is that a problem? Will it help my learning curve? is it something I must do early on and after I learn every concept?

    I want to learn Frameworks next, should I practice coding with 'raw' code first? Or is it fine if I start coding after I understand all the tools and concepts of useful frameworks?

    I know that eventually I will be coding, but my question is - at what stage should I? and is it hurting my progress that I am just listening and not applying the learnings immediately.

    submitted by /u/iamsam3331
    [link] [comments]

    What you guys think about React Hooks?

    Posted: 31 Oct 2018 08:02 PM PDT

    React Hooks is a new feature of React that aims to help with writing more expressive code. Is this going to be the future of React? Are other frameworks going to follow suit and implement their own versions of Hooks? What you guys think about it?

    submitted by /u/letstryusingreddit
    [link] [comments]

    coding live stream

    Posted: 31 Oct 2018 08:27 PM PDT

    come join us were coding on youtube at : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaqbVGDAuQg

    submitted by /u/SeanCarroll17
    [link] [comments]

    Help me grow a learning community?

    Posted: 31 Oct 2018 08:56 AM PDT

    Hi all, I'm a maker, and I have built www.bekli.it

    The site lets you, the user exchange articles and test each other on it. When you score well, I share your accomplishment on twitter - @beklilearning ( https://twitter.com/BekliLearning ).

    I've got some initial companies following, and while I'm happy to add articles and tests, I could really do with a hand - if anyone wants to help out, let me know and I'll let you add articles and feature you as an advisor, which should boost your profile for hiring companies!

    cheers,

    andrew

    submitted by /u/lordbharal
    [link] [comments]

    How do you make node.js aware of other javascript files?

    Posted: 31 Oct 2018 11:07 PM PDT

    I'm VERY new to node.js, javascript, and HTML, but I have a good bit of programming experience.

    All I want is to be able to run javascript on a website hosted locally so I can practice. I'm willing to figure stuff out on my own but I don't know which direction to go here.

    Right now this is what I have:

    https://github.com/jonathanmiller2/gasket-gatherer/tree/master/sendhelp

    I run app.js through node, and it loads up index.html. I want add-content.js to run on index.html, but when I try to do

    <script src = "add-content.js"></script>

    google chrome just throws me

    add-content.js:1 Uncaught SyntaxError: Unexpected token <

    add-content.js and everything else is all in the same folder so I don't think it's a pathing issue.

    How do I fix this?

    submitted by /u/Falcondance
    [link] [comments]

    Output parameters in C++ using references help

    Posted: 31 Oct 2018 05:08 PM PDT

    Hello all

    This is a simple assignment for one of my classes. Basically it needs to input a few numbers into an array until it reads a 0, and then call a function that will get the sums and count of positive and negative values in the array. For some reason it is returning incorrect values. For example, if I simply enter a 0 for the first value, it outputs "The sum of positive numbers is: 5.80543e+16 The count of positive numbers is: 6 The sum of negative numbers is: -1.19176e+29 The count of negative numbers is: 2"

    My code is as follows:

    // This is a program to calculate the sums of positive and negative numbers in an array #include <iostream> using namespace std; #define MAX_ARRAY 10 void sums(float numbers[10], int i, int& posCount, int& negCount, double& posSum, double& negSum); int main(void){ float numbers[10] = {0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0}; int i = 0; int posCount = 0; int negCount = 0; double posSum = 0, negSum = 0; float numIn = 0; double posAvg = 0, negAvg = 0; cout<< "CSCI 6610 Assignment 1\n"; cout<< "----------------------\n"; for(i = 0;i < 10;i++){ cout << "Enter value "<<i+1<<": "; cin >> numIn; if(numIn == 0){ break; } else{ numbers[i] = numIn; } } sums(&numbers[10], i, posCount, negCount, posSum, negSum); posAvg = (posSum / posCount); negAvg = (negSum / negCount); cout << "The sum of positive numbers is: "<<posSum; cout << "\nThe count of positive numbers is: "<<posCount; cout << "\nThe average of positive numbers is: "<<posAvg; cout << "\nThe sum of negative numbers is: "<<negSum; cout << "\nThe count of negative numbers is: "<<negCount; cout << "\nThe average of negative numbers is: "<<negAvg; return 0; } void sums(float numbers[10], int i, int& pC, int& nC, double& pS, double& nS){ for(i = 0; i < MAX_ARRAY; i++){ if(numbers[i] > 0){ pS += numbers[i]; pC++; } else if(numbers[i] < 0){ nS += numbers[i]; nC++; } else if(numbers[i] == 0){ continue; } } 

    }

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/alex0708
    [link] [comments]

    Competitive programming

    Posted: 31 Oct 2018 10:42 PM PDT

    I was wondering what would some recommended resources for improving my competitive programming skills be. I'm around midlevel, like I'm used to all the data structures and basic techniques for greedy and some other type of problems, but there's so much to learn. I know about codeforces and similar sites but when the editorials there are most of the time hard to understand, either it be language problems or them under explaining stuff because it's obvious to them.

    Are there any resources out there that actually teach you in a proper way the techniques and ideas for solving problems?

    submitted by /u/jeffman123456789
    [link] [comments]

    A question to organize data from multiple similar parts of a certain website into an organanized database or something similar

    Posted: 31 Oct 2018 10:33 PM PDT

    I want to figure out how to make a database of the info on the bio sections of "Chaturbate" (a sex cam website) users without going to each page individually. One of the things I am trying to do is make a large list of camgirls sorted by followers who have been online in the last year. I want the database to have all the infoin the bio section in it though, not just that.

    submitted by /u/fearligma
    [link] [comments]

    Trading View denied me access to their API. What free charting API's do you use?

    Posted: 31 Oct 2018 10:16 PM PDT

    I'm trying to pick a live stream charting API for tick data (stocks, crypto, etc.) and I'm thinking about using google charts. Just wanted to see what other options are out there.

    submitted by /u/UpBoatDownBoy
    [link] [comments]

    Learning two languages at the same time.

    Posted: 31 Oct 2018 02:30 AM PDT

    I'm learning java programming through my university, and i just started out (two months in) but i already purchased a c# unity course for game development, so my question is: Is it bad if I go through the c# course alongside my java classes ? I'm really eager to try it out.

    submitted by /u/RandomKalkas
    [link] [comments]

    Having worked with relational databases for a few years, I'm struggling to have an 'Aha!' moment with Cassandra.

    Posted: 31 Oct 2018 09:12 PM PDT

    I have used Postgres and mysql extensively, can do queries and db design.

    I understand normalization forms well. I used firebase and google datastore (document based DBs) and understand the benefits they provide. NoSQL databases denormalize data for quick access and avoiding joins, at the cost of repeated data and lack of data integrity.

    With Cassandra, I hear that they're a column-based DB. Columns in the classic definition are something like ID, name, price, etc.

    It seems that Cassandra stores columns data on disk contiguously, as opposed to rows in other DBs. I.e. if you had:

    ID Name Price vegetarian
    12 Tofu wrap 8 Y
    45 Spring rolls 6 N
    15 Hazelnut Cake 4 Y

    Cassandra will store the price contiguously -> 8, 6, 4.

    Which can be beneficial for lookups since they can be all fetched in one disk access (Spatial locality). I believe SoundCloud does this to fetch the followers of a music artist and put a new song in all their feeds.

    Is this the idea or am I way off the mark? I'm just bouncing ideas here, appreciate any help.

    submitted by /u/iliketoworkhard
    [link] [comments]

    Can someone explain the differences between the 5 generations of programming languages?

    Posted: 31 Oct 2018 09:12 PM PDT

    I understand that there are currently 5 generations of programming languages, from first-generation up to fifth-generation. I know that most of the general-purpose languages we use now are third-generation. However, I want to understand how the distinction is made? Why do we only typically come across third-generation programming languages?

    submitted by /u/chunkhang
    [link] [comments]

    Computer Science students/graduates: what did you get out of your degree that the rest of us devs are missing out on?

    Posted: 31 Oct 2018 01:32 PM PDT

    To clarify, I'm mainly asking computer science graduates who are working in a Software Development role how the lessons they learnt in their CS classes have set them apart from the rest of us, and what (if any) lessons/concepts they think the rest of us have missed out on. However, the opinions of current students and those who moved onto better things are also welcome.

    I'm asking because as a 'homegrown' Dev who did a media degree at university, I've always been curious whether there were some really interesting or useful concepts that I could be using at work, but never got taught.

    submitted by /u/DrPeroxide
    [link] [comments]

    Question for on how to model something in a database

    Posted: 31 Oct 2018 08:43 PM PDT

    I'm working on building a little blog website with Python/Django/SQlite as a hobby project. The blog centers around running and I think I have a pretty good database model for the blog posts themselves.

    I have another component of the website I want where along the top it displays my personal record times for a few different distances, and I want to be able to update them on the admin page as I get better.

    I'm not sure what is the best way to store these numbers though, hardcoding it into the static html pages seems like a bad plan and then I won't be able to update them from the nice admin page. Should I create a single database model that contains all the running times to pass along to the templates? Seems kind of silly to create a whole model for just 3-4 numbers though. Maybe a seperate model for each race time?

    Argg I feel like this should be simple but my brain isn't finding it...

    submitted by /u/lolPythonNoob
    [link] [comments]

    [Python 3.6] Struggling with tkinter scrollbars - how to scroll a canvas with widgets displayed using grid?

    Posted: 31 Oct 2018 08:23 PM PDT

    I'm working on my first GUI app to create CUE files and things are going well except for figuring out how to scroll through a grid of Label and Entry widgets (called "track list" from herein). The code below is for a Toplevel pop-up window. I use grid to display everything.

    My goal:

    I want to have the track list be scrollable if necessary, leaving the Message widget always at the top. I also want to specify the height of the window when it is opened (but leave it resizable).

    My problems:

    I can neither open the window with a specified height nor get the scrollbar to function. The scrollbar seems to be in the right spot, but the bottom half disappears when I drag the window smaller instead of activating to enable scrolling.

    I've tried following multiple different scrollbar tutorials, but nothing works and I'm at a complete loss how to get this to work using grid. I'm pretty sure I understand that I need to display a Canvas within a Frame because frames aren't scrollable. I would then need to display my track list inside the canvas, but display the scrollbar alongside the canvas in the frame...

    I can't figure this out at all. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

    class verifyWindow(): def __init__(self, master, cuetimes, tracks): self.master = master master.title('Verify Information...') self.cuetimes = cuetimes self.tracks = tracks tracklist = [] for i in range(len(cuetimes)): track = {} track['track'] = str(i + 1).zfill(2) track['cuetime'] = self.cuetimes[i] track['artist'] = self.tracks[i][0] track['title'] = self.tracks[i][1] tracklist.append(track) self.instructions = Message(self.master, text='Verify the information below and correct as necessary.', width=500) self.instructions.grid(row=0, column=0, pady=5) # Create frame to contain canvas for scrolling self.frame = Frame(self.master, height=500) self.frame.grid(row=1, column=0) # Create canvas to contain tracklist w/ scrollbar self.canvas = Canvas(self.frame, height=500, highlightthickness=0) self.vbar = Scrollbar(self.frame, orient=VERTICAL, command=self.canvas.yview) self.vbar.grid(row=0, column=1, sticky=NS) self.canvas.config(yscrollcommand=self.vbar.set) self.canvas.grid(row=0, column=0) # Create track list display for i in range(len(tracklist)): label = Label(self.canvas, text='Track {})'.format(tracklist[i]['track']), width=7) label.grid(row=i+1, column=0, pady=3, sticky=E) cuetime = Entry(self.canvas, width=10) cuetime.insert(0, tracklist[i]['cuetime']) cuetime.grid(row=i+1, column=1, padx=3, pady=3) artist = Entry(self.canvas, width=30) artist.insert(0, tracklist[i]['artist']) artist.grid(row=i+1, column=2, padx=3, pady=3) title = Entry(self.canvas, width=50) title.insert(0, tracklist[i]['title']) title.grid(row=i+1, column=3, padx=3, pady=3) 
    submitted by /u/aglobalnomad
    [link] [comments]

    Questions about recursion and Binary Trees

    Posted: 31 Oct 2018 08:08 PM PDT

    I have an assignment to take in a binary tree program and add a few methods, I have the basic skeleton of what I want to do down but I'm a bit unsure of a few things about my approach and since Java is weirdly only running an older program of mine I can't really do this through trial and error for the time being.

    Basically I have to write three methods, one to count the amount of nods in a tree, another to count the amount of leaves in the tree, and a third to count the maximum height of tree. In each of these cases my program is pretty simple, just using recursive methods on the left tree and the right tree until node == null as a base case, and using counters for the first two methods and a statement along the lives of (if max < current.node then max = current.node) but I'm unsure if recursion is going to play well with a counter, and maybe even worse I'm unsure if I'm going to be able to make that work with a maxCounter variable, will these carry on between instances of each recursion?

    submitted by /u/RoadTheExile
    [link] [comments]

    Help trying to print every team combination possible when there are 8 people and 4 teams per person.

    Posted: 31 Oct 2018 07:57 PM PDT

    I was interested in seeing every combination possible for creating two teams when there are a possibility of 8 people. I thought it would be a good exercise to code it and see the results. However, it is really confusing me and I was hoping I could get some guidance. The code below is written in Swift, but I think the general concept is the same.

    The scenario is that there are 8 people: [0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7], and they are being separated into two teams of 4 people. The order does not matter. 0123 is the same as 2130. The following is what I was able to get. I think according to this, there should be 70 combinations (8!/((8-4)!*4!)). When I run the code, I get 68 combinations.

    let numArray = [0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7] for i in 0..<numArray.count/2 { var array = [Int]() var oppositeArray = numArray for p in 0..<numArray.count/2 { array.append(numArray[i+p]) } for p in stride(from: numArray.count/2-1, to: -1, by: -1) { oppositeArray.remove(at: i+p) } print(array) print(oppositeArray) for j in 1..<numArray.count/2 { for k in stride(from: numArray.count-1, to: i+(numArray.count/2-1), by: -1) { var oppositeArray = numArray var array = [Int]() for p in 0..<numArray.count/2 { array.append(numArray[i+p]) } for p in stride(from: numArray.count/2-1, to: -1, by: -1) { oppositeArray.remove(at: i+p) } oppositeArray[k-numArray.count/2] = numArray[i+j] array[j] = numArray[k] print(array) print(oppositeArray) } } } 

    I greatly appreciate any help, thanks!

    submitted by /u/Greenest_Brick
    [link] [comments]

    Non-visual resources

    Posted: 31 Oct 2018 07:47 PM PDT

    Hello, I work repairing cell phones and computers and I usually watch classes and lectures on programming during work, but I realized that this has impacted my productivity.

    Is there any kind of resources or some specific channel that uses less visual and more audio so I can focus on the repairs?

    I already listen to some podcasts, however, none that talk about programming concepts (usually they talk about aspects of life and the day to day of the programmer).

    TLDR: I would like more auditory and less visual resources.

    Thanks in advance.

    Edit: I just found this podcast with web development concepts:

    Start Here - Web Development

    I'll try it tomorrow.

    submitted by /u/luislocio
    [link] [comments]

    The Humble Book Bundle has a bunch of Java books right now for $1

    Posted: 31 Oct 2018 07:44 PM PDT

    Right now you can get 5 books/videos for $1, or 13 books/videos for $8 from the Humble Book Bundle. Check it out

    submitted by /u/Youtubed
    [link] [comments]

    How a newbie should learn coding?

    Posted: 31 Oct 2018 07:08 AM PDT

    I suffer from anxiety and I always end up trying to gulp up a large chunk of information in one sitting, only to forget it next day and losing motivation and after few days starting from again.
    It is really frustrating. There is so much to learn.

    I am not able to decide how much is enough. And it's all becomes spaghetti.
    One would suggest to go step by step. But how much of a step is enough for a day? How one decides that?

    I start having panic attacks.

    submitted by /u/kidkai25
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment