• Breaking News

    Sunday, September 30, 2018

    Big 4 Discussion - September 30, 2018 CS Career Questions

    Big 4 Discussion - September 30, 2018 CS Career Questions


    Big 4 Discussion - September 30, 2018

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 12:07 AM PDT

    Please use this thread to have discussions about the Big 4 and questions related to the Big 4, such as which one offers the best doggy benefits, or how many companies are in the Big 4 really? Posts focusing solely on Big 4 created outside of this thread will probably be removed.

    Abide by the rules, don't be a jerk.

    This thread is posted each Sunday and Wednesday at midnight PST. Previous Big 4 Discussion threads can be found here.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Daily Chat Thread - September 30, 2018

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 12:07 AM PDT

    Please use this thread to chat, have casual discussions, and ask casual questions. Moderation will be light, but don't be a jerk.

    This thread is posted every day at midnight PST. Previous Daily Chat Threads can be found here.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Overachievers & Under Performers ( I need to vent)

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 12:36 PM PDT

    Backstory: I taught myself how to program with no programming background, studying over 12 hours a day at home and was lucky enough to land a job at a small x company. I was one of the first developers to start working there, and through enough time I was able to do the jobs of everyone at my work. This did not come without a cost though, I would program after work as well on my own time because to be frank I felt inadequate due to not having a degree. And when I say I would program after work I mean it, I mean I started building apps on my own with Haskell just to expand my thinking horizon and to be honest it carried over to work (Haskell is totally not related to my job but I think it can echo some of my determination to programming). Programming for a long time is a hobby and a job. With all of this being said, I don't want you to think I'm writing unreadable super intelligent code, I very much make sure it is readable and I am a very helpful person when asked for help, I think people can attest to that. I have become the workaholic due to the fact of feeling inadequate in this industry, when very well I know I am fully capable. It's a hard mental hurdle to get over.

    Fast forward: It's been over a year, and I am actually quite confident in my work, my learning has plateau'd at this company, and I can do much more than others in the 8 hours I work. Because of that I have become bitter because I grow suspicious that my co-workers are slacking off and they have similar pay(I've asked). I should mention we all work from home, recently a co-worker who I deem to be under performing fell "ill" for over a month and his story hasn't been completed. My supervisor then assigned me my under performing co-workers story. Little to my surprise, there has been no progress and I was able to finish his work in a matter of an afternoon. People at work also started picking up easier stories, while i'm stuck working on large ones. Once they are done their easy story, their day is essentially over. They also do 1 large commit at the end of week so there's no real way of tracking progress. My supervisor is a super nice guy and also works hard, he knows something is up with my co-workers but doesn't punish them.

    One day I absolutely snapped, at a guy who took an entire week to change the "font' of a page, and had the nerve to demo that font change at the weekly meeting. And more recently I snapped at that co-worker who's story I had to do because he took over a month and I completed it in a day (it was a simple CRUD controller), one that has been made dozens of times at work. I have seen things like this happen dozens and dozens of time again before I said anything, and no I am not exaggerating, this stuff goes unchecked.

    Needless to say this industry has taken a toll on me, and its my own fault, I overworked myself in a company culture where nobody works hard. Part of why I feel this way is because I worked so hard to get my first job in the industry (over 3 months of interviewing and constant programming and reading). I see people coming in and just squandering their opportunity to learn the skills. To be honest, it hurts me to see that.

    How I feel now: I took a long thinking of my value as a person and in the industry and it made me quite depressed, I have truly become an asshole to work with, and to be honest I wouldn't want to work with myself. Also after some research it turns out I'm also grossly underpaid for the amount of work I supply, a 50% will bring me up to market. I spoke to my father about this issue. What he told me really changed my view:

    1. I'm an idiot for working so hard and your lazy co-workers are not stupid, they are just doing what they should be doing.
    2. I'm not a manger and I tried to manage people and I'm wrong for that.
    3. Whether your co-workers are doing anything at all, is not your business. If they are slacking and you have to pick up their work. Don't try to do it quickly, it'll make them look bad and make you look like a smart ass.
    4. When you leave, doesn't matter how hard you worked. The company will still only see you as an employee. Your boss doesn't care how hard you work, they just expect it from you now.
    5. Sounds like your team doesn't respect talent and doesn't have what it takes to keep it
    6. take care of yourself first, and don't die for your company. If they don't punish laziness and don't reward hard work, why work so hard?
    7. they will take advantage of you if they can, no matter how nice they are on the surface.

    another solid read: http://startingdotneprogramming.blogspot.com/2013/04/i-knew-programmer-that-went-completely.html

    thank you for reading, I just wanted to get this out and I am constantly working on personal life. I'm sure others have stories of feeling like this or having to deal with a co-worker like this. If you do please share.

    TL;DR: Take care of yourself, it's just a job at the end of the day.

    submitted by /u/throwawayMd5a
    [link] [comments]

    I do not feel respected at work

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 08:58 AM PDT

    Hi all! I am a recent college grad who just started a few months ago as a full time SWE.

    There have been too many instances where I felt like I am just not...respected? Especially compared to my cubicle mate, who is also a female RCG (just like me) who started around the same time I did. We are both on the same team, but I just get the feeling that our lead takes her work, suggestions, and statements more seriously than mine.

    For example, there are times when I will update him on the status of something I am working on, and he will just give me a very...dismissive "ok, thanks for the update", while with her, I can see that he intently listens to the things that he is saying and actually takes what she says seriously. Also, one time I was taking more time than I needed to finish a task, and he asked my office mate to help me with it, which my she and I found pretty offensive (on behalf of me), because it was such an easy task.

    I am not sure what it is...I have done a lot of things that geniunely made life easier for the team, and I can objectively see that me and that cubicle mate makes the same amount of progress that I do. But for some reason she gets more respect than I do?

    It has been really making me upset lately, and I am not sure what I am doing wrong? This is not the first time this has happened either; at my last internship, my mentor spoke to me in a really condescending manner...im front of everyone numerous times, and I always just took it (which I really regret). What am I doing wrong? Should I stick it out (seeing it has only been 3 months), or what? This project I am working on will finish in 2 weeks...and I may not need to work with this lead anymore.

    And before anyone asks, no, this coworker (my cube mate) is not conventionally "hot" or anything...the only thing I can think of is that I do sound more timid compared to her (my voice begins shaking when speakimg with people).

    Tldr: why have my leads and mentors always been condescending towards me? If it happened twice.....then it is obviously me....(or is it)?

    submitted by /u/HistoricalMarsupial
    [link] [comments]

    Positive Coding Challenge Experience

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 09:38 AM PDT

    Thought I'd share my quick thoughts since most of this sub tends to look down on coding challenges especially leetcode style problems. Both Stripe and Akuna Capital had me built a rudimentary API for their internship hackerrank, and I think this does a much better job simulating real world conditions than arbitrary leetcode style problems, and focuses more on logic than know obscure tricks and memorizing solutions. I would love to see more companies go down this route, or at least try to take a problem they actually face at work and simplify it a little, rather than just picking random leetcode questions.

    submitted by /u/DJ_Brown_SUGAR
    [link] [comments]

    How much do looks impact the treatment you get at work?

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 09:26 AM PDT

    How does it differ for men vs women? Especially in this field?

    submitted by /u/FalsePatience
    [link] [comments]

    Where to start with backend development?

    Posted: 29 Sep 2018 11:24 PM PDT

    There's so many different languages, frameworks, tools, it's overwhelming. I have programming experience in multiple languages, so I'm comfortable picking those up. I always just do this thing where I start something and then convince myself it's a bad choice, and then go try to learn something else. And I spend so little time on each one that I don't have working knowledge of any of them. Like I'll start with flask and then be like "man Java/Spring is so much better", then start with that for a short period of time before switching to Rails or some other arbitrary framework.

    What should I do? People say to just pick one, but there's so many. There's all these javascript frameworks and tools, ASP.Net (which has like 'core', 'core 2', 'mvc5', etc, that's confusing on it's own), Java, Python, etc.

    submitted by /u/No_Fill
    [link] [comments]

    where are all the non web-dev jobs?

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 09:39 AM PDT

    I hate web development but the companies hiring seem to only be interested on making something that runs on a browser. I like making emulators and goofy games in my spare time. I actually like working down to the metal and making joke software that make my friends laugh. I know working on an actual job wouldn't entail making meme software but I just want to make something that isn't a website. I have no work experience but I definitely have coding experience, so how should I go about looking for a non web-dev job? by the by, I like using C and while I'm not super proficient I love messing around with x86 asm, does any company use/care about this anymore (I know modern C++ and java but prefer the former)

    submitted by /u/SkyrimForSwitch
    [link] [comments]

    Unhappy after 6 months in my first role, but not sure if my complaints are reasonable

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 01:26 PM PDT

    I think I made the mistake of choosing money over happiness right out of college, and I'm starting to regret it. I've been pretty unhappy in this position for a few reasons:

    • Pretty long hours (around 50 per week). I know this isn't the worst, but I would definitely prefer a standard, 40-hour week.
    • The work is both difficult and uninteresting. For me, this has been a pretty bad combination because the work requires a lot of effort, but it's difficult to do so when I'm not passionate about the company or its mission.
    • I don't mesh well with my team. I'm a pretty laid-back guy, but my team members seem to be the more "no nonsense" types who are willing to put in long hours because they're passionate about the business.

    All of that being said, not everything is bad. The pay and level of talent are great, which I have enjoyed a lot.

    Either way, I'm looking to get some feedback from more experienced devs on this situation, and what I should do to enjoy my role more.

    submitted by /u/InsideWolf111
    [link] [comments]

    Accidentally ghosted my number 1 choice

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 04:00 PM PDT

    So, during this previous summer, I was feeling rambunctious and decided to apply for Fall and Spring internships (and would have delayed graduation if I had received one). I applied hoping to score at least one big internship.

    Weeks went by, and after not hearing from anywhere I applied to - I felt absolutely defeated. It hurt my self esteem a lot, as I also saw myself as a solid candidate.

    Just today, I decided to swap my yahoo email to my gmail on my resume. This had been suggested to me from a few members of this sub. Inside my gmail I found 3 unread emails... from Google. "Thanks for applying!," "Next Steps," and... "Unfortunately we are not able to move forward in the hiring process."

    I feel a bit better, and a bit worse about myself. So in the case that you are ghosted from everywhere you have applied - make sure you're checking the right email!!

    submitted by /u/CS-Imposter
    [link] [comments]

    Networking while being in a small city out of the US

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 09:18 AM PDT

    Hello everyone, this will be a very quick post since I don't want to take too much of your time. To make the history short, I live in a very small city in Venezuela (Like 10 hours by road from its capital city, Caracas) and recently I gave notice to a job because I want a better compensation (I was being paid less than 5 USD per hour). I'd love to continue working on React and Node. I know this can be a common question but given the current situation of Venezuela and my limited chances of travelling to other countries right now I would love to know what are some good ways to network online. I plan to start building my portfolio on January because that's when I will finish my job duties here. Any recommendations?

    Best regards

    submitted by /u/asdrubalivan
    [link] [comments]

    I am getting no guidance at work

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 05:08 PM PDT

    I started an internship nearly 3 weeks ago and I have achieved close to nothing. I don't really know what I am doing half the time and my manager is never around to help. I have managed to sort of make friends with a senior developer who I see as my mentor and he generally helps when I ask him questions.

    The problem is that I think I am asking too many questions to the point of annoying him. This is mostly because the task I have been given is not straightforward at all and no one has sat down with me to explain anything at all. Some other coops that I have talked to who are under different managers all seem to be getting the right mentorship. They tell me about how their mentors sat down with them for hours teaching them about new things. Not only that, there is this team in my company who sends their coops to fully comprehensive university style lectures (taught by a senior developer) to help them get started.

    My actual manager is pretty much unavailable at all times so all I have left is my mentor. The only way for me to learn and provide actual value for the company is to ask my mentor a bunch of questions but I am afraid of annoying him and making myself look incompetent. Are these justified feelings, or should I just suck it up and ask him questions on how to do certain things. I know that with given the right guidance I will eventually figure out how to do things on my own, but to get there I must hound my mentor.

    submitted by /u/PkHonourz
    [link] [comments]

    Got let go from my job as a test engineer. What do I do next?

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 06:12 PM PDT

    Eleven months into my job, I was put on probation and I left being a test engineer at an almost medium tech company. I was told I wasnt a good fit as a tester because I didnt communicate enough and I should find a job which requires little communication. Keep in mind, I dont really have a social life, I have anxiety and I live alone. I come from a SW background and I still desire a good tech job, like a dev or product manager. I dont know what to do. what are my options so I can make a good decision.

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/Bulbasaur2015
    [link] [comments]

    Can I get a job without internship experience?

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 03:23 PM PDT

    Hi, I'm a 4th year cs major from Georgia Tech about to graduate next semester and I have not had any internships throughout college. I've basically just been taking classes every semester to save as much money as possible, and even now I'm an RA so it isn't possible get an internship in the Spring.

    I have 6-7 decent to good projects on my resume, and my major gpa is a 3.6.

    Also, I have no interest in software development at this point and would like to go into literally any other job like Assistant project management or consulting.

    Will my lack of internships prevent me from getting job offers? I don't mind being jobless after graduation, but I would like to be employed within 6 months out.

    submitted by /u/gtcsono
    [link] [comments]

    OpenMPI and other HPC implementations in industry

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 12:29 PM PDT

    How often in industry do people utilize concepts from a HPC class, and further are they mostly using the ideas of efficiency or are they actually implementing parallel software?

    To me it also seems like specifically OpenMPI and other MPI systems would add a lot of overhead outside the overhead that would come from writing a program in parallel. Maybe I am wrong and I do not fully understand how MPI systems are implemented. It just seems like to me in most cases the efficiency gains are not worth it until you have 8-16 processors or more.

    Edit: I understand that most of the time when using MPI and other interfaces typically you would run it on lots and lots of cores. I'm more curious on the issue of why don't we write more software in parallel, in order to exploit the extra cores manufacturers are giving us. Is it just not worth the hassle and presumably extra cost? Do you think in the future as we try and edge more performance out of software we will revisit HPC concepts, like MPI, in order to obtain that performance?

    submitted by /u/jc63
    [link] [comments]

    What degree for Web Development.

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 04:13 PM PDT

    Web development is super popular where I am and the salaries are pretty high especially considering the area is pretty inexpensive to live in. I'm currently enrolled in CS but have been thinking about switching to Information Science Major with a CS minor. Which of these degrees would yield better results in the web dev field? Thanks guys!

    submitted by /u/BarlieCharlett
    [link] [comments]

    Wanting to switch into government position - junior, no formal education, 10+ years of informal experience, looking for perspective on the industry before committing to the jump.

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 07:46 PM PDT

    Hey there, hopefully this doesn't trip anything.

    As per the title, looking to switch into a government position. Currently a junior at a webdev shop professionally for 2.5 years so far. Prior to that, have had years of informal experience in more private projects (mostly unreleased - game mods, reverse engineering, larger client-server projects on a hobby level that all fell through).

    Not much to show for my experience and this seems like a much, much more stringent and difficult track to go on (security) where I'm not even sure I'll get in given my lack of formal education (no degree in computer science, just pushed along out of an interest in the field while surviving my early years working manual labour). Wondering about a few things before I make the jump and apply (from the description given on the site, a year long process given the clearances and investigations needed):

    • My primary experience and skillset (up until recently) is desktop (Windows / Linux) development in C++. I'm assuming this transfers well to security work? As mentioned, I've touched on reverse engineering before, but only as learning exercises (as in how is this done and what it entails) vs. a real need e.g. "oh no, threat incoming, break it down and patch it up". Rusty but familiar up to C++14, skipped C++17 since I ended up switching to Rust for a game server I'm developing. Is this enough for the kind of work needed in this specialization?

    • What's the pace of a security position like? Is it very much DEFCON-levels of disaster prevention and mitigation or is it more mundane research over X period of time and trying to find devastating threats? I'm going to be upfront, I'm hoping it's more the latter but also wouldn't mind the former (although at that point impending doom is a bigger concern than anything I can think of related to the on-the-job work experience).

    • I'm familiar with the risk that security work brings with it. Take KrebsOnSecurity, for instance: the man's been through hell for quite a few blog posts. How dangerous is this work? I'm not going to exaggerate the risks of this work but even just the idea of being doxxed isn't a pleasant thought to reason about. At least as a hobby it means little, but as a job working to protect a government institution? I'm very curious to know what exactly are the kinds of dangers involved in this job.

    • What are the expectations for the job? I'm looking for something to put 110% into with a lot of potential for growth both personally in my skills (and my personality, obvi) as well as in my career (it's roughly 50% over what I'm making today just starting, a huge increase). I'm aware of the various specializations within the field itself and I've identified two that I could apply to if I had a degree: reverse engineering and the usual C++ client development. What's it like for both, or either? I'm assuming the client work is similar to what it is today with specs being given for a tool or similar that needs to be built out to be used by other more specialized teams and that VRE/SRE is where a lot of the dynamism can be found and where I'd need to be a lot more self-driven and curious to succeed and thrive.

    I'm hoping answers to these questions will either a) make me take it seriously, switch gears in my current learning track (currently focusing on Rust and my own personal game project) to match the desired track and apply or b) keep me where I am where I've got a good growth rate and routine going for me between my work at my job and my personal projects. Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/UNQUALIFIEDFOREVER
    [link] [comments]

    Capital one - TDP in Chicago?

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 07:11 PM PDT

    How likely is that an intern at capital one in Richmond/McLean could get a return offer to the Chicago office?

    submitted by /u/c1q1229
    [link] [comments]

    Does how long I took to graduate matter if I have a good GPA and years of internship/part-time job experience?

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 05:33 AM PDT

    I am currently in my 6th year in Applied Mathematics.

    I have a GPA of 2.7 (currently) which I am aiming to increase.

    Also 7 months of experience with .NET, school projects made with Python and currently a job I will keep until I graduafe where I work with Angular 2 as a full stack developer, 10-12 days per month (but I also work at home).

    Now there is a problem which is a bit bumming me out, my college used to offer night classes which allowed me to take my classes in less days by cramming them, which also prevented clashes in schedule (if two classes clash, you can only pick one) so I may end up NOT being able to graduate this year IF even one of my classes clash with the other.

    If I graduate this year, it will be with ~3.0 GPA and around 2 years of part time work experience after 6 years. If I graduate next year, it will be a higher GPA (hopefully) and 3 years of work experience in 7 years.

    This is more of a question to relieve myself of the worry. Answer is probably "it depends on company" but can work and increased GPA make up or even be an "advantage" for graduating from a 5 year major in 7 years?

    submitted by /u/Despacito2077
    [link] [comments]

    Job Search Advice for a Soon-to-be Grad

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 03:16 PM PDT

    Hello everyone,

    I'll be graduating with my CS degree in may of 2019, but I've been getting a leg up on the application process because I know some companies can take a while to complete the hiring process. I do well in my classes, and expect to graduate with a good GPA (3.90+), but I'm kind of terrible in the interviews I've had so far. It seems the companies I interview with choose to focus on the skills I don't list on my resume (databases, react). I haven't landed any internships, but I'm actively pursuing one for the Spring semester, though my options are limited. I'm pretty confident in my problem solving skills, but of the interviews I've had so far only one has actually asked me to solve a problem.

    Assuming I'm unable to get an internship next semester (or even if I am), what skills would you suggest focusing on to make me more likely to find a job? If it helps any, my strongest languages are Java, C, C++, and I'm quickly picking up on Python.

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/nkbzodiac
    [link] [comments]

    Projects and internships as a Junior

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 03:10 PM PDT

    So as the title says I am junior currently seeking my degree in CS but really do not have much to show for it. Sure I have done many school projects but I feel none of them really show much that I have learned and pretty much feel my total experience with CS has been mostly theory with some technical sprinkled in here and there. I know most people on this sub will say projects are the best ways to pad your resume but I have nothing to show. At the moment I have had no internship experience at all mainly because I work full time IT and wasn't privy to much knowledge about internships. I taught myself java and have a decent understanding of the language and have also began to pick up Android (framework to display my knowledge). Though I have a good understanding of the language I haven't applied it in any way and want to know would finding a project from recommended project boards supplement my lack of an internship?

    At the moment I am working on a tour guide app for japan that displays restaurants, tourist activities and etc (as a part of the udacity training project). Generally I am worried that since I have not gotten an internship at this point and have little to nothing to show from my learning. I have developed apps that were created based from a hand-holding course but nothing that is really mine. Any feedback or tips would be greatly appreciated.

    Thank You

    submitted by /u/Synosis1
    [link] [comments]

    Moving to NYC from Europe

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 06:46 PM PDT

    I've been thinking of moving on from my current city/home town for a while. I've really loved New York from visiting a few times in the past so would really like to go there.

    The issue is I work in a fairly small specialized field, working mostly in C++ on linux drivers, compilers, assembly stuff, and computer graphics (plus others). Some machine learning but not enough for a role in just that. I have a 3-4 years experience over two different jobs. It seems that there is not much available in NY in these fields. I wouldn't mind moving slightly away from some of those fields but would worry about getting a job/visa in a field I'm inexperienced in.

    The visa routes are H1B or L1 from researching this in the past. I've heard H1B is difficult and arbitrary to get, especially as I only have a bachelors. So mostly likely I would need to go through the L1 route which involves working remote/different office for a year, again limiting options.

    Any advice? Has anyone else been in a similar position?

    submitted by /u/nyc_cs_throwaway
    [link] [comments]

    Referrals before applying?

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 06:33 PM PDT

    In general, is it common practice to ask for referrals prior to sending in an online application, or vice versa? Specifically for internships, if that makes a difference. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/grgzhng
    [link] [comments]

    Unhappy in college, how to learn web development?

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 06:18 PM PDT

    I'm currently a computer science student and I'm just unhappy in college. I'm nowhere close to graduating, I have at least 6 semesters left. I don't really want to pursue a CS degree anymore(or any bachelor's degree, for that matter). I would really like to try out web development, and I've been trying to learn on my own but other responsibilities have taken away from the time that I can dedicate to learning(mostly school).

    I have a few options, I can get an associates degree from my local community college(either in computer programming or CIS) and just continue trying to learn web dev on my own, or I can try a coding bootcamp or something like that. I don't really know what my best option is(I know I know, my BEST option would be to get my bachelor's, but I don't think that's what I want). Can anyone help me out and give any advice?

    submitted by /u/PhiOre98
    [link] [comments]

    How do you guys cold email recruiters on LinkedIn?

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 06:15 PM PDT

    The message is pretty self explanatory. I'm pretty sure everyone knows that online portals are wastelands, I've even had recruiters tell me that. So I've tried to reach out to recruiters for companies I'm into by messaging them on LinkedIn. I usually give them something that looks like this.

    "Hello Recruiter who will not respond !

    My name is skipfiller and I am a _____ with a company I hate so much, thinking about work makes me violently ill and angry. I noticed that ____ recently has posted this job. (Link to job I'll never hear back from)

    Just wanted to reach out to you and ask if I could possibly share with you my resume in regards to this position. And if you are not recruiting for this position, could you possibly share my resume with the respective hiring team to notify them of my interest.

    I believe my _____ make me a potential strong candidate and I would be more than happy to talk about my experience in more detail if you have the time.

    Thank you and I'm looking forward to hearing from you!".

    I can count on my hand how many recruiters have responded to this, out of the hundreds I've cold messaged. I'm left on read every single day, I just wanted to ask for those of you who incorporate this same method, is there anything you've done to make them more likely to open your message?Or anything you said ?

    And yes I realize I'm a stranger and the recruiters I do meet in person actually respond, but I can't meet all of these recruiters so I'm just trying my best.

    submitted by /u/skipfiller
    [link] [comments]

    Taking time off from my MS degree to work?

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 06:11 PM PDT

    After interning at a tech company over the summer, I have been finding school not that interesting and would like to take time off to work. However, the only thing stopping me is that I have an unrelated STEM degree as a career changer, and I am not sure if companies would hire me without a CS degree. At the same time, I would fulfill the requirement for some sort of degree that most companies have.

    Would it be feasible to find a company that would employ me full time without my CS degree, or at least while I finish the classes one class at a time? Otherwise, I have been mostly applying for new grad positions.

    submitted by /u/runescaper90
    [link] [comments]

    Full time new grad job without graduating

    Posted: 30 Sep 2018 06:07 PM PDT

    I've been applying to places for full time jobs starting next year because I was supposed to be graduating next May. But I found out that I have to complete 2 courses which will take a year, so I will need to spend another year in school. Unfortunately I can't get out of this but the courses are quite light and I wouldn't even need to attend class. So can I apply to new grad full time jobs and start working even though technically I haven't graduated yet? Would this be considered lying (or would they require a copy of my degree or something - so far for internships some companies only asked for transcripts or nothing at all).

    I could just do internships but they pay less and of course not the same in terms of duties.

    submitted by /u/csinternshipsummer
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment