• Breaking News

    Monday, August 13, 2018

    This is creativity, innovation, and amazing how a kid from my country Venezuela created a Super Mario game with just carton and paper.

    This is creativity, innovation, and amazing how a kid from my country Venezuela created a Super Mario game with just carton and paper.


    This is creativity, innovation, and amazing how a kid from my country Venezuela created a Super Mario game with just carton and paper.

    Posted: 12 Aug 2018 11:24 PM PDT

    The Total Beginner's Guide to Game AI

    Posted: 12 Aug 2018 06:45 PM PDT

    Hey /r/gamedev :) We made a video where we created a Rocket Launcher sound effect with just a Vacuum Cleaner. Hope you all enjoy!

    Posted: 13 Aug 2018 08:35 AM PDT

    How Do YOU Want Your Game to be Reviewed?

    Posted: 13 Aug 2018 09:23 AM PDT

    Hey everyone. I'm a freelance games journalist. But before that, I was a hobby game developer. While I never made anything that fruitful, it was (and still is) a passion of mine. I try to remember this when reviewing games, as I think it helps create a more constructive analysis of the faults and qualities of them.

    I also tend to review a lot of smaller games. While the articles are primarily for the consumer, the devs are far more likely to read the reviews I do. So I keep that in mind.

    My question for y'all: What would you like to see more (or less) of in reviews for your game? Help me understand how I can make better content for the creator.

    To be safe, I'm not going to link to my work as some kind of self promotional thing, nor am I asking for any games to review. Rettiquite and all that.

    submitted by /u/Lizard-Rock
    [link] [comments]

    Unreal Engine 4 Tutorial - Low Poly Animated Refractive Water (link below)

    Posted: 12 Aug 2018 11:29 PM PDT

    How to save your players from cognitive overload?

    Posted: 13 Aug 2018 09:21 AM PDT

    WebGL2 : 108 : Armature Locomotion

    Posted: 13 Aug 2018 09:17 AM PDT

    I challenged myself to remake the old E.T. game released on Atari 2600, 1982. In one weekend! I didn't get it 100% completed but it is totally playable! :-)

    Posted: 13 Aug 2018 11:17 AM PDT

    How to simulates social interactions?

    Posted: 13 Aug 2018 10:58 AM PDT

    Hi, I'm doing a game that simulates social interactions. The npc has Emotions that are numerical values ranging from 0 to 10 (Love, Fear, Confidence, etc) .The player can interact with them and vice versa with Actions (Talk about food, love, go to do sports, etc). The result of these interactions is measured by two factors, the Personality of the npc and the stored values of Emotions.

    The Personality is divided into Traits, each npc has its fixed features that go from -1, 0 and 1. These traits are things like how extrovert they are, Polite or Aggressive. -1 It means that they are the opposite, for example extrovert with -1 will be a introvert, 0 that are neutral and 1 will be an extrovert.

    Having each Action linked to a specific group of Traits the result of these actions would vary. For example apologize to someone who has a high level of Anger could reduce the level of this if this person has Polite 1 and Aggresive -1 but It could have the opposite effect if it has Polite -1 and Aggresive 1.

    Should I also store a record of the player's actions? so that the npc can remember and recriminate the actions of the player ?. For example if you apologize to someone you insult this would say "no, you insult me, fuck off". Is this a correct way to face the problem of simulating social interactions? Sorry for my bad english.

    submitted by /u/Sakcrel
    [link] [comments]

    Question about Effectively Marketing Project via GameJolt & Itch.io

    Posted: 13 Aug 2018 05:12 AM PDT

    Hi everyone here on the GameDev Subreddit!

    To provide a bit of context about who I am, my name's Logan and I'm a game designer that works with a development team made up of friends from high school. We're called Glass Robot and we currently have one game out with one about to release.

    However, we're more serious about this latest project and are trying to market/promote it more efficiently. We're going to be launching the game on GameJolt, on Itchio, and via Steam Direct as well. But we're having issues generating any significant buzz about the project despite our social media and word-of-mouth initiatives.

    Any and all assistance is certainly appreciated so if I may ask all of you here, how can my team and I better market this upcoming RPG project of ours?

    submitted by /u/GlassLoganVG
    [link] [comments]

    Total novice looking for a little advice/perspective on getting into game development

    Posted: 13 Aug 2018 12:31 PM PDT

    I apologize in advance for the vagueness here. I'm not really looking for any specific coding advice, the sidebar in this sub is super helpful.

    I guess I'm just wondering if game development is really something that I can get into at this point.

    I'm 26 and have some very basic coding knowledge, but I don't know much about game development. I decided recently to try my hand at programming and realized that game dev would be an obvious choice for me. I've been a gamer for my whole life and I really love seeing games done well.

    I'm concerned that I might be too old at this point to really get into the industry, which I know is bullshit, but it still gets to me.

    Does anyone else have any experience getting into game development at this age, with little prior experience? Any general advice as to how to approach this would be greatly appreciated

    TLDR: Learning coding at 26, realized game development was a no-brainer for me interest-wise, afraid I'm too old/stupid for it

    submitted by /u/impossibub
    [link] [comments]

    Dev log software

    Posted: 13 Aug 2018 12:26 PM PDT

    Hi! I would like to keep a personal dev log so I can better track the development process, meaning I could quickly stick a couple of screenshots and a quick summary. I know Office Word could sort of do the job but is there some other tool that would get the job done? Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/Uberhasung
    [link] [comments]

    How should I go about outlining my game's map?

    Posted: 13 Aug 2018 11:47 AM PDT

    I'm using UE4 to build my game, and plan on making it one large map with World Composition/ level streaming. Before I actually begin making the levels and geometry, I want to make a rough sketch of the overall layout of the map but am not sure how to go about it or if there are any useful programs or software that I could use.

    How do you sketch out your maps? Especially if you're like me, who wants to seamlessly connect all of the sub-levels together so that the gameplay flows properly.

    submitted by /u/Ozymandiabetes
    [link] [comments]

    Tileset Assets File Set Up Help

    Posted: 13 Aug 2018 11:44 AM PDT

    Hi I am interested in making a asset pack for a game consisting of tilesets, specifically 16×16 tilsets. It's my first time setting something up like this, as well as the whole asset making thing, I am new to as well, I've made a couple in the past but they've consisted of sfx's and Sprites and Animations. Now, I wanna move onto and practice making tilesets. So Anyone out there expierenced in making and releasing this sort of stuff for commercial and personal use, I would love to be shown and taught the ins and outs for this so I can better improve and expand upon my skills and content. Any sort of tips, feedback, critisms, anything is appreciated. Thank you

    submitted by /u/Asymmetric7
    [link] [comments]

    Tomorrow at SIGGRAPH ray tracing and RTX for games is going to be a major topic. These are the differences between Rasterization, Ray Tracing and photo-realistic Path Tracing and how much compute power they need today.

    Posted: 12 Aug 2018 10:11 PM PDT

    What hosting service would you recommend for website and leaderboards?

    Posted: 13 Aug 2018 09:45 AM PDT

    I don't have much experience on this topic but I'd want to create a website for myself and host the data for the leaderboards of my game as well. I want to ask other people who have more experience, what service do you use to host your company website and even better if you also host leaderboards data too.

    submitted by /u/koomikkok
    [link] [comments]

    Copyright question regarding international game sales

    Posted: 13 Aug 2018 09:35 AM PDT

    Any lawyers or law-savvy folk here?

    If I want to use an IP (let's say a song) in my game which is still copyrighted in some countries (but is public domain in others, including my country), would I be able to sell the game internationally or only to the countries where the IP is in public domain? Any experiences with this?

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/patkelus
    [link] [comments]

    Has CPI ads ever worked for you?

    Posted: 13 Aug 2018 03:36 AM PDT

    Basically title, I'm thinking about using Unity ads however I'm not sure how useful it actually is. They claim you will get more impressions using CPI however you don't really know if tats the case. It's all about luck imo so how did it work for you?

    submitted by /u/vIv_Unlucky
    [link] [comments]

    Successful free web game struggling to convert to a paid audience, any ideas?

    Posted: 13 Aug 2018 08:34 AM PDT

    We recently released our latest game, Aground on Early Access, and while sales aren't terrible, they aren't as good as we were hoping, considering that we have over 2.5 million plays on the web version.

    You might remember this blog post from back when we were running a Kickstarter for the game. The Kickstarter did end up successful, raising $13,514 of a $10k goal (and late backers brought the total pre-order sales up to $18,090), but we were definitely (probably idealistically) hoping to knock the $10k goal out of the park like many of the successful kickstarters do, and instead it felt like a struggle just to hit our goal.

    Now I worry that with the Kickstarter and late backers, we may have used up most of our community in pre-order sales, and that could be why we're struggling to get sales on Steam. We do continue to get new plays from the free version, some of which convert to sales, but it's definitely not an easy conversion even though we have a link in the free version to buy it and an easy import/export system for transferring saves, or cloud saves that work across all versions (I got this tip from Defender's Quest - a fellow Haxe dev).

    Also, we haven't had much luck with press or streamers. I think part of the problem is that with a quick glance, people assume the game is just a Terraria clone and aren't interested. When the game was free, people decided to just try it, and ended up loving it (this is a very common comment about the game). With the early access version, we aren't given that chance.

    Right now, I'm hoping that our frequent updates will help draw people to the game and overcome the fear of Early Access, and we'll be presenting the game at PAX in the Indie MEGABOOTH, but I keep thinking I need to be doing more.


    It's still early - we released on August 8th, but I could definitely use some ideas/suggestions to help keep Aground from getting buried in the never-ending stream of new games that release every day!

    TLDR: How do you transition from a free web game to a paid game, especially when the game is fun to play and unique but looks like a clone at first glance (thanks to there being so many survival games out there).

    submitted by /u/davidmaletz
    [link] [comments]

    I wrote a 2D game engine as a hobby: these are 2 demos

    Posted: 12 Aug 2018 07:01 PM PDT

    (Sorry for the weird dimensions on the first demo, not sure why it did that)

    Specs

    - Around 6K lines of code for just the engine

    - Full support for 2D texturing and flat coloring

    - Support for text

    - Hooks to implement features like screen scrolling/zooming

    - Simple camera system that can be attached to game objects

    - World wraparound

    - Scalable multithreading manager (engine itself synchronizes with its internal job threads)

    - Collision detection with hooks to implement response

    - Scene management to group game objects together and switch between them

    - Support for keyframe animation

    - Ability to manipulate time to speed up, slow down or pause the game

    The two projects in the video were made using the engine. While I can take full credit for the engine code itself, other people worked with me on the projects which used it.

    There were 3 other projects done using this engine, but I did not show them here.

    I hope you like it, this was a lot of fun to work on!

    submitted by /u/KTStephano
    [link] [comments]

    How do I approach this?

    Posted: 13 Aug 2018 12:15 PM PDT

    If there is one game that should've gotten a new version made for a long time, I would say Advance Wars is the game.

    It was a turn based FireEmblem-like strategy game and had everything I loved to have in a game. But Intelligent Systems and Nintendo say they don't have a good setting for the story, so they just threw the entire series in the bin, fanbase crumbling.

    Here is my question: How can I best give it a try myself? No experience in coding, don't know how much patience I'll have for it, but searching for a decent hobby. If anyone could give a good analysis and show me were to start, I would be very thankful.

    First thing I want to know is what "engine/software" would be best. Is there an obvious choice if you want to make it 3d, maybe with a hexagon playing field?

    What do I really have to know? Where should I start? Thank you in advance (wars)

    submitted by /u/Kazenaar
    [link] [comments]

    What is the real story behind hyper casual games?

    Posted: 12 Aug 2018 01:14 PM PDT

    The top game in the Google Play store is called Rise Up and it's about a balloon which you have to protect while it flies up. There's an incredible amount of ads displayed.

    The developer is some random dude - it's not Ketchapp or any of those. I've published a few games to Google Play and the App Store and I know how badly free-to-play games usually do with discoverability. Maybe I'm wrong because I haven't dealt with mobile games in a while.

    Anyway, what is the real story? Is it a publisher who does this or what exactly is this sorcery which causes people to like and play such repetitive titles with incredible amounts of 30 second ads?

    Would really appreciate it if anyone sheds some light on the subject.

    Edit: Some clarification on the actual question.

    How does a game which is hyper casual get picked up from the gigantic pool of hyper casual games?

    What makes people prefer one hyper casual game to another?

    submitted by /u/csdead
    [link] [comments]

    Marketing Monday #234 - Attractive Design

    Posted: 12 Aug 2018 08:19 PM PDT

    What is Marketing Monday?

    Post your marketing material like websites, email pitches, trailers, presskits, promotional images etc., and get feedback from and give feedback to other devs.

    RULES

    • Do NOT try to promote your game to game devs here, we are not your audience. This is only for feedback and improvement.

    • Clearly state what you want feedback on otherwise your post may be removed. (Do not just dump Kickstarter or trailer links)

    • If you post something, try to leave some feedback on somebody else's post. It's good manners.

    • If you do post some feedback, try to make sure it's good feedback: make sure it has the what ("The logo sucks...") and the why ("...because it's hard to read on most backgrounds").

    • A very wide spectrum of items can be posted here, but try to limit yourself to one or two important items in your post to prevent it from being cluttered up.

    • Promote good feedback, and upvote those who do! Also, don't forget to thank the people who took some of their time to write some feedback for you, even if you don't agree with it.

    Note: Using url shorteners is discouraged as it may get you caught by Reddit's spam filter.


    All Previous Marketing Mondays

    submitted by /u/Sexual_Lettuce
    [link] [comments]

    Dr. Driving 3# - Android Racing Game Video - Free Car Games To Play Now

    Posted: 13 Aug 2018 11:13 AM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment