• Breaking News

    Friday, August 10, 2018

    Git happens! 6 Common Git mistakes and how to fix them web developers

    Git happens! 6 Common Git mistakes and how to fix them web developers


    Git happens! 6 Common Git mistakes and how to fix them

    Posted: 10 Aug 2018 06:47 AM PDT

    Vue CLI 3.0 is here!

    Posted: 10 Aug 2018 09:53 AM PDT

    Followed the advice to mess with API's and made this

    Posted: 10 Aug 2018 12:38 PM PDT

    12 YouTube Channels for Design and Development | Practical Ecommerce

    Posted: 09 Aug 2018 04:48 PM PDT

    What does React honestly have over Angular?

    Posted: 09 Aug 2018 09:32 PM PDT

    Building Vue.js applications on Firebase (Video Tutorial Series)

    Posted: 10 Aug 2018 03:20 AM PDT

    In-training Webdev, seeking for guidance

    Posted: 10 Aug 2018 11:02 AM PDT

    Hello guys, I'm reaching out to you to know what should be my next targets. Health issues (nothing major) made me reconsider my ten year long salesman career.

    For the last two months I've been learning on udemy.com. I am almost done with Brad Hussey's Ultimate Web designer & Web dev courses.

    So far I've learnt -how to play around with PSD -HTML5/CSS3 -Javascript/jQuery/Bootstrap -PHP/MySQL -Wordpress -Wordpress theme developpement with Bootstrap

    and I am in the process of learning angular.js.

    Next things I'm going to learn are React/Redux.

    That leads me to the following questions :

    -What should I be learning next if my end goal is to become a Full-stack web dev?

    -I've been scraping this reddit for a month now and been taking what's good here and there. Do you have any great ressources to share with a newcommer in the field?

    -What do you feel are the most used/needed languages in order to be considered a full-stack dev?

    -Where should I go to start adding projects to my port-folio?

    Sorry for the long post, I really wanted to have opinion of people who are more knowledgeable than me. And thanks for your time and inputs.

    submitted by /u/Frenkz
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for Google Analytics alternatives

    Posted: 10 Aug 2018 09:48 AM PDT

    I'm currently using Google Analytics, but I'm looking for a better analytics tool. Right now I'm looking at Adobe Analytics. What web analytics tool do you prefer?

    submitted by /u/craftybirdd
    [link] [comments]

    Learning Path to Web Development for Absolute Beginners

    Posted: 10 Aug 2018 10:27 AM PDT

    👋 Hello everyone!

    Last week I launched a free learning path to web development which I've been working on for the past couple of months. It's frontend focused, and it's designed for complete beginners, with loads of free content that I've painstakingly curated from around the web!

    There is also a community to connect the people who are following the learning path, so that they can help each other out. I'm also offering my own help as much as I can through Slack.

    Please do check it out, and please, please share it with anyone who you think might find it interesting.

    Subscribe for access to the complete learning path, and the community, at bluedash.co/learn-web-development.

    x-post from r/learnprogramming

    submitted by /u/merott-
    [link] [comments]

    I finished my first game

    Posted: 10 Aug 2018 03:37 PM PDT

    Lecturer really made me lose motivation today.

    Posted: 10 Aug 2018 04:09 AM PDT

    Hi!

    Background info, I am doing a certificate 4 in web based technologies, so mainly web development with a few other things in it. It's actually been really good since they make you apply the knowledge to things, and it has made me go on and learn other things too.

    Though, today I had a Skype call with a lecturer simply to and a question about my Photoshop module, and after a bit he goes on about how a company won't hire me because I am only doing a certificate 4 and that I'll only have a chance if I had actually done a diploma from the start (thanks, this is my last semester so that helps.)

    Don't know where I am going with this, but it really made my motivation go way down when I was already stressed about study and my mental health isn't that great.

    Any motivation you can give me would mean the world to me.

    submitted by /u/Polople
    [link] [comments]

    [File upload] Which one is better? Keeping the original file name? Or rename it with an unique random string?

    Posted: 10 Aug 2018 06:22 AM PDT

    Why won't my web forms send mail to gmail, yahoo, aol, ect?

    Posted: 10 Aug 2018 02:48 PM PDT

    Hello,

    this is my first time trying to get my web forms to send to someones gmail/yahoo account and I am having issues.

    I'm using my STMP mail account from my shared hosting account(hostgator) as the transporter. I know it's not an issue with the web form, because it will send the data from the form to any of my other domain name email addresses just fine.

    If I try to send the mail to any other email account, like a yahoo or gmail account, I don't get any errors, but the email never gets sent. Nothing in the spam folder or anything. I get redirected to the success page and the console on my web server says it was sent successfully, but it just doesn't go through at all.

    I even tried setting it up so that it sends the mail from my yahoo email account as the transporter and I get the exact same issue. It sends the email to my STMP domain name email addresses just fine...but it won't send mail to gmail or yahoo.(It won't even send mail to the same yahoo email address that I sent it from!)

    If anyone could help out with any suggestions or even some kind of work around so that I could send the web form info to a gmail address I'd really appreciate it. I'm trying to finish up this basic website I made for someone and getting the form to send to their gmail account is proving to be a nightmare.

    submitted by /u/V1nnyV1nc3nt
    [link] [comments]

    [Beginner question] Is there something wrong with this code?

    Posted: 10 Aug 2018 01:53 PM PDT

    Hey there,

    I was reading thru the "You Dont Know JavaScript" book and stumbled upon an example code that I doubt is correct.

    The code in the YDKJS book: http://prntscr.com/kh78hj

    So, I decided to try it myself and the code outputs that the buyer can afford the Item + The accessory if the code is written the way it is in the YDKJS example, even though the buyer does not have the required balance.

    Then I edited the code to add the accessory price to the "if" statement if (price + accessoryPrice < myCash) (I'm using my own variables). And it seems to run the way intended.

    My code testing: First is following the YDKJS example, second is the one i edited -- Codes are separated by a red line: http://prntscr.com/kh79zt

    Please, correct me if I'm wrong.

    submitted by /u/D0n0ts
    [link] [comments]

    JAM Stack Your Old CMS into the Closet – EL Passion Blog

    Posted: 10 Aug 2018 01:30 PM PDT

    What can I expect from a Junior Developer apprentice role?

    Posted: 10 Aug 2018 03:20 AM PDT

    Apologies if that's a bit of a vague question, I'm exploring entry level options and I've been approached by a local learning provider about apprenticeships.

    Any advice or experience would be great.

    submitted by /u/jubba_
    [link] [comments]

    Couple questions on jQuery.

    Posted: 10 Aug 2018 09:11 AM PDT

    Hey all, I just recently got started on front-end and web development. I know the very very very basics of website creation, HTML, CSS, and JavaScript using W3Schools as a reference guide. I know it's really far far away from what everyone else is doing on here, and I hope to be able to learn more from the experienced here! :)

    So just a while ago while looking through a few simple issues with my CSS code, I realised that the JavaScript code I've been using, stuff like ".addEventListener()" is pretty long and tiring for something as simple as the click of a button, and I remembered something about a JavaScript framework that shortens the code down A LOT. I did some digging on the web, and I found out it's called jQuery. I started looking at reference guides and stuff, and now I think I'm ready to make the switch to jQuery.

    However, I had my own concerns:

    • Can I still use Vanilla JavaScript inside jQuery?
    • Is jQuery good for learning to make a basic website with buttons and stuff?
    • Is it recommended for newcomers to the scene?

    If there's anything else regarding web development or jQuery, feel free to list it out for me! Still new to the whole web-dev scene, so I'm not sure about everything!

    Thank you in advance.

    submitted by /u/FyreSigno
    [link] [comments]

    Build a blog with [staticSiteGenerator] and [API] - Continuous deployment

    Posted: 10 Aug 2018 06:53 AM PDT

    Hello fellas,

    I have plans of building a blog, and I'm alsmot sure I will use Nuxt since we are using it at work.

    For the data, I'm thinking Cockpit or Strapi.. Well whatever can hold data is fine, I just wanna be able to host it myself :)

    Anyway, my question here is, when you build your website under nuxt, to generate a static version of it, you have to do a `nuxt generate` command.
    That said, when I will add a new posts on my strapi/cockpit/whatever, it will not get it unless I do this command.

    So my question is, did you guys had to face this before? Is there something in strapi or cockpit, that gives me the ability to.. know that there was an update somewhere, and so connect to the nuxt project through ssh or whatever, and trigger the build again ?

    I also want to containerize those things..

    What do you think guys, am I going in the wrong directions, or am I missing something here ?

    Thank you in advance

    submitted by /u/olafviking
    [link] [comments]

    Beginner Questions - August 10, 2018

    Posted: 10 Aug 2018 06:15 AM PDT

    If you're new to web development and would like to ask experienced and professional web developers a question, please post below.

    Etiquette

    • Remember, that questions that have context and are clear and specific generally are answered while broad, sweeping questions are generally ignored.

    • Be polite and consider upvoting helpful responses.

    • If you can answer questions, take a few minutes to help others out as you ask others to help you.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Customer Aggregator Start Page

    Posted: 10 Aug 2018 11:53 AM PDT

    Hi All,

    I'd like to make a start page with data from other web pages. Unfortunately the data primarily tables that are dynamic / javascript, and do not have RSS feeds,etc.

    My HTML chops haven't progressed since 20 years ago, so some sort of a WYSIWYG editor would be idea.

    Any recommendations on where to start on this?

    submitted by /u/Pyro83
    [link] [comments]

    Struggling at my first dev job (no previous work experience)

    Posted: 09 Aug 2018 07:31 PM PDT

    Hi good people,

    Won't bore you with extended story. So, I graduated last year with a BSc in CS and Math. Honestly, barely finished it. Average grades, did well on my math and theoretical CS courses but sucked at all coding involved courses.

    Fast forward, got hired early 2018 and started working as full stack dev in a small company. They put me in a already developed project and asked me to add certain new features. The project has been built using technologies like ASP .NET , C#, Javascript, Kendo UI etc. The project is building Outlook Add-ins so a lot of Outlook REST API involved.

    After 2-3 months I finally managed to complete some tasks. Then another struggle begin when I started extending Kendo UI components and adding new controllers etc. Sometimes I don't finish a simple tasks for days or weeks. It gets really frustrated. Most days it is 90% i don't know what the hell I am doing and feel lost.

    They assigned a senior dev to me , but there is so many questions I can ask him on lunch time or whenever he has time.

    Having no prior experience , no internship, doing poor in undergrad, I feel like I have been thrown to huge jungle with no tools to cut off branches to get off.

    I dont like giving excuses for my circumstances but I think it would be better if started little slow, under some guidance , maybe watching someone doing stuff, maybe working on project with senior dev, watch him lead, at least for one project. That would be a little slow but in 6 months I could have learn a ton. Now all I do try to make things work somehow so I can make it to deadline. No efficiency, no good practice of coding, not that someone stops me doing all those, but I barely make the deadlines.

    I am sure somebody has been there too. What do you guys think of my situation. How can I make most out of it.

    submitted by /u/ismayil12
    [link] [comments]

    Webhost with no URL...

    Posted: 10 Aug 2018 11:45 AM PDT

    OK so I'm not a web developer, just trying to have a web presence. I've started up a website(hosted on Inmotion) and got 3 domain names on it through godaddy. However one of those domain names I recently transferred from popnet/dragify (lifetime through a stacksocial deal). So yeah, the dragify hosting doesn't have a url. I'm curious if I can somehow use the hosting and still make it a site? Otherwise it allows me to do image and other digital hosting so I may be able to use it for those. Would I just be able to type its' IP address or something? I'm fine with my regular website but lifetime hosting is like having a open billboard and not using it.

    submitted by /u/Furzball
    [link] [comments]

    DO I need multiple Google Maps API Keys for each service (static map, interactive map, mobile map etc) or should 1 key do for all? Thanks All!

    Posted: 10 Aug 2018 07:27 AM PDT

    Stackoverflow Code of Conduct

    Posted: 10 Aug 2018 11:07 AM PDT

    Employer as a web developer is going RIP

    Posted: 10 Aug 2018 11:07 AM PDT

    5 months ago I left a web developer position where I was at for 6 months.

    Today I find out they are going out of business.

    My current employer is awesome and pretty stable however in 2-3 years I will probably leave that position for something new.

    Typically jobs require 2-3 references, so I feel this is going to fuck me down the line as I am already pretty weak on references.

    So experience developers of Reddit, What do I need to do to mitigate any potential fucking in the future?

    submitted by /u/Folters
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment