• Breaking News

    Saturday, August 11, 2018

    Creating a fetcher program, can someone point me in the right direction? Ask Programming

    Creating a fetcher program, can someone point me in the right direction? Ask Programming


    Creating a fetcher program, can someone point me in the right direction?

    Posted: 11 Aug 2018 06:49 PM PDT

    Hosting and running my .jar file online.

    Posted: 11 Aug 2018 09:22 PM PDT

    I'm making a discord bot in java, and am looking to run it from some online hosting service, since my computer will not always be able to run it. I am willing to pay < 5-10 usd/mo

    Suppose I can package it in a single jar file (ie using shadowjar to export it to a jar file which I can run using a bat file) how would I go about getting it running online?

    I have looked into AWS, but it seems they only offer java web applications(?) which I don't think is a good match for my bot. (please do correct me if I am wrong)

    I have also looked into Virtual Private Servers, but there is an overwhelming selection available, all advertising different things that I don't know if its needed or not.

    An observation I have made is that there are many services out there geared towards website hosting. Is there any compatibility between jars and websites? As in, is there anyway to instead buy website hosting, and have that website run the jar somehow?

    If anyone has any leads or suggestions, please let me know :)

    submitted by /u/Positivelectron0
    [link] [comments]

    New to Git, HEAD ruining my files?

    Posted: 11 Aug 2018 04:21 PM PDT

    I never learned how to use Git, so I've tried to figure it out with one of my projects I've been working on for fun. Obviously I should have backed up my files before trying this, but I figured it couldn't go too wrong, and I'm sure its not beyond the point of repair at this point.

    I created a project on GitHub by just dragging and dropping the files from my computer to add them to the repository there. Then later, after adding some more functionality to the project and failing to commit, I set up the file on my computer to be connected to the repository (I think). Then when I pushed I was given an error that there were multiple conflictions, and the push was aborted. I tried to pull to see if that would help fix it, but that gave me an error as well.

    I then opened the project to find that my java files are littered with <<<<<<<<< HEAD followed by blocks of my old code and my new code, which I assume is how Git distinguishes between ages of builds. Maybe this is intentional and I just need to figure out how to view it properly?

    Point is with what I know now, I can no longer work on my file. If I want I'm sure I can just delete the bits that Git put in there, but I'd rather fix the problem now so I don't do it again.

    Thanks for the help!

    submitted by /u/zreker
    [link] [comments]

    How to search for a word in a string even if it's slightly mistyped?

    Posted: 11 Aug 2018 10:37 AM PDT

    How do you search for a word in a string, even if it's slightly mistyped?

    E.g.. search for "letters"

    I'd like it to return as a positive if the following is found:

    • letters
    • letter
    • lettera
    • letterd
    • lettees
    • lettdrs
    • letyers
    • leyters
    • lrtters

    Etc, etc.

    Basically how to search for a word with a single letter wildcard that can be anywhere in th word.

    To search for an exact comparison, I would do.

    If "letters" in {string variable}:

    Do something

    submitted by /u/reddit_user33
    [link] [comments]

    After learning syntax and fundamentals, what should I do?

    Posted: 11 Aug 2018 09:30 AM PDT

    I learned everything on a couple of tutorial websites and now I want to make progress. Don't know where to start.

    submitted by /u/kittyonmeth
    [link] [comments]

    What are some projects on Github that beginner programmers can take a look into?

    Posted: 11 Aug 2018 09:04 AM PDT

    I need to be able to search in specific fields found in dozen of json files, what technology should I choose for this task?

    Posted: 11 Aug 2018 05:09 PM PDT

    Basically, I have hundreds of json files. Each of them has a different structure. I need to be able to search a given field for a given text in all those files at the same time.

    For example, let's say that I want to search "asdf" inside a "description" field. The search should be able to find all "description" keys in all json files, and check if the value of said keys contains the string "asdf", then return where it found it.

    Also, if possible I would like to be able to make fuzzy queries (so if there were no "asdf" results, I would ideally still get "bsdf" or something close).

    How can I do this? I've heard about elasticSearch but I have no idea if it's a good tool for the job. Anything that points me to the right direction would be welcome.

    submitted by /u/kace91
    [link] [comments]

    A SASS-like program/extension to inline-import javascript,

    Posted: 11 Aug 2018 01:27 PM PDT

    I'm looking for a program or plugin that will allow me to write and minify regular JS (not CoffeeScript, for instance). It would use something something like SASS' `@import` to put the files together at compile time, much like how you can put a single css file into multiple scss pre-compile, and stay much better organized.

    I know there are Javascript precompilers that have import commands, but these generally aren't inline.

    I just want to be able to do things like `@import("jquery-extensions");`

    Further, as an independent program or extension for a program like Visual Studio Code, Brackets, etc, it would allow one less command-line to bother with.

    submitted by /u/socksarepeople2
    [link] [comments]

    Best place to start app developing for ios

    Posted: 11 Aug 2018 12:01 PM PDT

    I'm interested in developing apps for iOS but don't really know where to start. I have a pc not a mac but I'm wondering if I need to splurge and get a mac out of necessity.I have very little coding experience, Any tips on what I need to start?

    submitted by /u/somern65
    [link] [comments]

    How to use if..else statement with Mongoose Schema?

    Posted: 11 Aug 2018 11:53 AM PDT

     WeatherSchema.find({ 'location':city, 'time':{ $gt:minimumquerytime }) .sort({'time':'desc'}) .limit(1). then(datas=> res.json(datas)) }); //I want to get data from database if it satisfy the minimumquerytime criteria else I want to fetch data from third part API if(foundindatabase){ showthatvalue } else{ callanotherfunction } 

    I want to implement something like this

    But cann't find logic to accomplish. I tried using if else inside schema but that didn't work.

    submitted by /u/kiru0
    [link] [comments]

    Lampp Bitnami Wordpress application not launching. (permissions problems i think)

    Posted: 11 Aug 2018 11:23 AM PDT

    In order to do wordpress development locally i installed Bitnami wordpress stack (i already had LAMPP installed). THe installation ran well but when i click on "go to application" (in the manager) it throws this error:

     sudo /opt/wordpress-4.9.8-0/manager-linux-x64.run Running Firefox as root in a regular user's session is not supported. ($HOME is /home/kmms which is owned by kmms.) [15820:15820:0811/191250.029082:ERROR:zygote_host_impl_linux.cc(89)] Running as root without --no-sandbox is not supported. See https://crbug.com/638180. Running Firefox as root in a regular user's session is not supported. ($HOME is /home/kmms which is owned by kmms.) /usr/bin/xdg-open: 851: /usr/bin/xdg-open: iceweasel: not found /usr/bin/xdg-open: 851: /usr/bin/xdg-open: seamonkey: not found /usr/bin/xdg-open: 851: /usr/bin/xdg-open: mozilla: not found /usr/bin/xdg-open: 851: /usr/bin/xdg-open: epiphany: not found /usr/bin/xdg-open: 851: /usr/bin/xdg-open: konqueror: not found mkdir: cannot create directory '/run/user/0': Permission denied ln: failed to create symbolic link '/root/snap/chromium/396/snap/chromium/396/Documents': No such file or directory ln: failed to create symbolic link '/root/snap/chromium/396/snap/chromium/396/Desktop': No such file or directory ln: failed to create symbolic link '/root/snap/chromium/396/snap/chromium/396/Downloads': No such file or directory ln: failed to create symbolic link '/root/snap/chromium/396/snap/chromium/396/Music': No such file or directory ln: failed to create symbolic link '/root/snap/chromium/396/snap/chromium/396/Pictures': No such file or directory ln: failed to create symbolic link '/root/snap/chromium/396/snap/chromium/396/Videos': No such file or directory ln: failed to create symbolic link '/root/snap/chromium/396/snap/chromium/396/Templates': No such file or directory [15846:15846:0811/191250.256842:ERROR:zygote_host_impl_linux.cc(89)] Running as root without --no-sandbox is not supported. See https://crbug.com/638180. /usr/bin/xdg-open: 851: /usr/bin/xdg-open: chromium-browser: not found [16020:16020:0811/191250.318253:ERROR:zygote_host_impl_linux.cc(89)] Running as root without --no-sandbox is not supported. See https://crbug.com/638180. /usr/bin/xdg-open: 851: /usr/bin/xdg-open: www-browser: not found /usr/bin/xdg-open: 851: /usr/bin/xdg-open: links2: not found /usr/bin/xdg-open: 851: /usr/bin/xdg-open: elinks: not found /usr/bin/xdg-open: 851: /usr/bin/xdg-open: links: not found /usr/bin/xdg-open: 851: /usr/bin/xdg-open: lynx: not found /usr/bin/xdg-open: 851: /usr/bin/xdg-open: w3m: not found xdg-open: no method available for opening 'http://localhost:81' 

    SO: Ubuntu 18.04

    submitted by /u/Don-g9
    [link] [comments]

    Best way to share data between a Chrome extension and Android app?

    Posted: 11 Aug 2018 04:25 AM PDT

    I've made a planner app which I'd love to have sync each user's events between the extension and app. Before I start tinkering away with an obscure REST API that isn't the best solution, I'd love to know the preferred practice of developers.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/ChronoReddit
    [link] [comments]

    Can a software ran in a VM become self-aware and realize it's living in a simulation?

    Posted: 11 Aug 2018 11:59 AM PDT

    Potential practical import of this question: upwork etc requires their workers to install a tracker on their machine to track hours.

    submitted by /u/I__am__dead
    [link] [comments]

    What's the best way to transform large amounts of garbage data?

    Posted: 10 Aug 2018 11:54 PM PDT

    Disclaimer: I am not a programmer, although some day I'd like to be (study/read about it on the side).

    I work at an accounting firm and I have a monthly assignment to do for a client whereby I take an Excel workbook for a check run, clean out the garbage data and then upload the completed workbook to Microsoft Access (that seems to have been customized to specifically accept this workbook) and generate some pretty reports to send out with the checks.

    The issue with this is that the workbook is that it is typically about 10,000 rows or more and many columns (I estimate about 20%) need updating (EIN's, addresses, payees, etc.). Initially, I tried to do this with formulas. However, since there's no primary key (yes, even EIN's and addresses are recycled), the issue was the formula kept repeating the first instance of what column it was relying on. Since this messed up a few of the check runs (and the client was angry with us), my boss told me that I have to perform the process manually.

    This process, since having to do it manually, takes me about 12 to 14 hours, which is absurd and should not be necessary in this day and age. My guess is there has to be a database that I can upload the garbage Excel workbook to, assign a key and modify all of the data much more quickly and easily.

    Any help or advice to streamline this process would be GREATLY appreciated.

    submitted by /u/WeAreNumberBork
    [link] [comments]

    [MySQL] Auto-sorting Entries

    Posted: 11 Aug 2018 03:00 AM PDT

    Front end: Visual Studio 2017

    Create three columns :Class, Name of the Book, Count

    When the details of the books are entered through Visual Studio, how do I Autosort it with all the First Grade books together (in the table created) and so on, and in alphabetical order.

    submitted by /u/grunge969
    [link] [comments]

    Language Selection?

    Posted: 11 Aug 2018 02:45 AM PDT

    I've been coding in primarily Typescript/NodeJS for a job and gotten quite good at it.

    However I don't want to be stuck as a Web Developer forever, (Or at least I don't want to be ever stuck doing website development). I notice that typescript with NodeJS behaves more like a general programming language than something that pidgeon holes people into web-development.

    I'm still quite early in my career, and I want to take the:

    Developer --> Senior Developer --> Startup OR Developer--> Senior Developer--> Management route.

    My question is, should I try to pick up a more 'Professional' language like C++ / Java / .NET/C#.

    What are my options for big general purpose languages for writing large code bases? My hope/fear though is that Typescript and NodeJS in the future will grow to full-fill that role of the big 'Professional' language, and all apps will eventually be webapps lured that way by the movement of putting everything on the cloud.

    Is there some inherent and unfixable flaw to Javascript/Typescript becoming the dominant language of not just the web... but all apps as a whole (ie; all apps become webapps).

    And what of new-ish languages like Julia/Rust/Go/Kotlin? Is that worth learning in order to try to cash in on some future spike in enterprises using those codebases? Or are they and will they remain fun side-projects while the enterprise world moves on with Java/C#/C++?

    I don't particularly like Python and feel like NodeJs is just a faster/better version of Python for everything except Machine Learning/Datascience.

    submitted by /u/VoidPillz
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment