• Breaking News

    Thursday, June 7, 2018

    Started working on a sci-fi STALKER, ended up with a victorian steampunk RPG. Here's how it looks now.

    Started working on a sci-fi STALKER, ended up with a victorian steampunk RPG. Here's how it looks now.


    Started working on a sci-fi STALKER, ended up with a victorian steampunk RPG. Here's how it looks now.

    Posted: 07 Jun 2018 10:24 AM PDT

    Hi Gamedev! If you work on a game and you need some jungle/forest sound effects, I just recorded nature atmos here in North Thailand! As always I hope you can use it. All the best, Marcel

    Posted: 07 Jun 2018 05:20 AM PDT

    Programming while living in a vehicle

    Posted: 06 Jun 2018 06:37 PM PDT

    Hello, my name is Sebastian. I am 21 years old living in northern california. I have been developing games since I was a child. I have been not living in a real house since I was 18 when my parents kicked me out, but still done everything in the way of pursuing my passion in programming.
    Right now, I have a very good setup I would reccomend for a budget/mobile/development setup. I use an android tablet with a pen (specifically samsung galaxy tab a with spen) and a USB hub. This allows me to have a mobile computer I can use a keyboard, mouse, controllers, and draw on for $200. I personally program in HTML5 and have from the ground up made basic 3d applications using a local HTML viewer and a coding IDE and it works flawlessly. For in game HUD and textures I just use a drawing app and the pen.
    You can also make use of the controllers for gaming solo or with friends. The battery life is far far superior to my laptop as well as portability. Browser development is easily accessible, fun, lots to learn, and modern day devices run 3D in the browser very well.
    I still work a minimum wage job, the housing here is very expensive. Being able to casually play video games in the woods and progress on projects I care about has changed my life and I actually feel myself being more wakeful, positive, and conscious now that I feel truly fuffiled.
    I had an idea to find used cheap tablets or cheap chinese ones with usb hubs and cheap keyboards and mice and supplying them to homeless people, perhaps with a controller in the future when I have more funds. It could open their world to art, media, games, music, creation on so many levels if you could find someone who had that spark in them.

    submitted by /u/isometricpanda
    [link] [comments]

    What Valve’s Refusal To Curate Means For Indie Games

    Posted: 07 Jun 2018 06:26 AM PDT

    Godot Engine - Godot gets a brand new animation editor (with cinematic support)

    Posted: 07 Jun 2018 10:56 AM PDT

    Has anyone managed to use Discord to successfully build a community for their game launch?

    Posted: 07 Jun 2018 07:38 AM PDT

    I was reading about the Descenders discord server and the success they've had on building a community before launch. I was wondering have any of you managed to do something similar?

    And if so what do you think worked and what do you think didn't?

    submitted by /u/stavrospilatis
    [link] [comments]

    Haxe: Cross-platform Development's Best-kept Secret

    Posted: 07 Jun 2018 08:32 AM PDT

    Interactive Vegetation System in Tank Mechanic Simulator

    Posted: 07 Jun 2018 04:52 AM PDT

    I released a Kickstarted, publisher-backed game in late 2017. Find out how it did (spoiler: it’s a mixed bag, but it actually did make money)

    Posted: 07 Jun 2018 11:00 AM PDT

    In 2015 I successfully ran a Kickstarter campaign for my game Tower 57 (I have removed the link to avoid self-promotion issues but you can search it on Steam if you want to see what it looks like) with the help of amazing pixel artist "Cyangmou". I subsequently quit my job (as a game programmer) to follow my dream (as an independent game programmer!).

    The team was literally made of 3 people: amazing pixel artist Cyangmou, musical genius Rafa Langoni Smith, and average-Joe-c++ programmer myself (my amazing friend Alex was handling console ports initially, but eventually had to bail so that fell back on me) so I like to think this was a true indie effort.

    A few months down the road we were approached by 11bit studios to publish the game. Three years later, the game has made its initial investment back (with a little bit of profit), and I am still working on the console ports and Linux versions while the revenue from the game dwindles.

    Back when the game launched in November of 2017, I did a sort of informal-AMA which I really enjoyed, and I don't want to write a wall of text with details which may seem important to me but irrelevant to everyone else… Sooo… please feel free to ask me about:

    Sales

    My personal experience running a Kickstarter campaign

    Working with a "remote team" / revenue share and does it actually work

    Financials / advance on royalties / how does it work

    Console ports / is it worth it / what does it entail

    Using your own engine / why would you ever do that

    Impact on personal life / social life

    Relationship / working with a publisher / is it worth it / what do they do

    Impact of Steam reviews

    Selling on various platforms / Humble / GoG / Itch / etc.

    And anything that crosses your mind really. As I mentioned above I really enjoyed my last post back in November, I've been a long time lurker and occasional poster, and I figured for once I had something to give back to this community.

    So to avoid any potential conflict of interest with self promotion and such, if you would like to check out the game for yourself just email me at [MY_REDDIT_USERNAME@hotmail.com](/) and I will happily send you a Steam key free of charge (obviously)

    With that out of the way, please feel free to ask anything, I will keep checking the thread just in case somebody is interested for the next couple of hours or so and then check back in the morning (I am in Berlin / Germany so please bear with the time difference)

    All in all thank you so much guys and gals who frequent this subreddit and regularly post / comment. Three years ago you unknowingly gave me the courage to quit my job and give it a shot. I'd be lying if I said it's all been a bed of roses, but overall I took the plunge and I can't honestly say I regret it despite all the hardships that came with it.

    Love you all!

    submitted by /u/benitosub
    [link] [comments]

    Could you recommend a free game engine for a tile based empire management game with a character focus, a sort of Crusader Kings-Stellaris-Conquest of Elysium hybrid

    Posted: 07 Jun 2018 09:34 AM PDT

    Hi!

    I have had this game idea for a long time and I'm finally going to start making it into reality. I have no idea which game engine I should use though. The game would be graphically close to Conquest of Elysium, so it would not be demanding on that side. It would also play out in a similar way (top down 2d, tiles, characters moving on the tiles). I have been getting information about Unity, but I'm not sure if that would be a good engine for this type of project. I would like to program as much as I can myself, so I do not want an engine that requires minimal coding. What I definitely would need from the engine are the basic "background" stuff, like creating the "stage/scene" (not sure about the terms), camera, some sort of basic gameobject class. Basically the things needed to run and close the game, getting things on the screen, and basic functions for the objects. Besides Unity, other tools I have are AppGameKit, RPG Maker VX Ace and GameGuru. I have used Java and C#. (Well, also C++ but please no). If anyone here could recommend a game engine for me, I would be very happy. If it is not one of those listed above, it must be free.

    -Thanks!

    Also, sorry for being so unclear about everything, Im just not good at putting my thoughts into words!

    submitted by /u/StrigoiTyrannus
    [link] [comments]

    Best Rigger/Animator for Unity 2018?

    Posted: 07 Jun 2018 12:40 PM PDT

    I'm wondering what your guys' opinions are on the best character rigger and animator for Unity is currently? I've discovered Puppet3D which seems really solid. You can auto-rig humanoid characters and it appears to work really well, but you can easily rig anything really. It was just released in February, 2018 so it's really new.

    I've also come across Final IK and Dynamic Bone which seem pretty popular.

    What do you guys use and why? I'm new to this stuff...

    submitted by /u/_ToastandBananas_
    [link] [comments]

    Armory 3D Game Engine Tutorial : Node Trees

    Posted: 07 Jun 2018 10:10 AM PDT

    What should I know about testing on Mobile?

    Posted: 07 Jun 2018 10:51 AM PDT

    Hello, first-time game developer and mobile developer here. I guess you could consider my Clicker game in some sort of "alpha" stage. I'm really only making this to get a handle on mobile software development and add something to my portfolio. Feel free to check out my progress here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOC133LjC9U&t=45s

    So here are my questions to you helpful folks. One, is there anything I should know about testing on mobile hardware? Any plug-ins I should have installed on Unreal or anything? I'm using version 4.19 and will be setting the package settings to both android and ios platforms. So I guess two, is it as simple as plugging in my phone and dragging the executable into a folder for testing?

    Any help is much appreciated, feel free to ask any questions or add anything else.

    submitted by /u/AmericanWonton
    [link] [comments]

    What's the good approach for programming story / plots?

    Posted: 07 Jun 2018 10:38 AM PDT

    Hello, I'm beginner java programmer, and I want to make simple text RPG game. Characters, npc, fight etc. seems quite logical to me, but I can't find good way to program story / plot with player choices affecting it. Everything that comes to my mind is gigantic if else or case structure which should be avoided in programming. Do you have any ideas?

    submitted by /u/lord_EarlGray
    [link] [comments]

    Is it worth to support gamepads on mobile games?

    Posted: 07 Jun 2018 09:29 AM PDT

    Me and a friend are developing a platform/metroidvania like game for android and it came up to support gamepads on our game, I've done some research and it doens't seems to hard to support gamepads, at least on android.

    Does anybody had any experience in that area? I would really appreciate any numbers If available, like how much players used, if there differences between android and ios.

    thanks

    submitted by /u/erickzanardo
    [link] [comments]

    Creating single player multiplayer features as anti-piracy incentive?

    Posted: 07 Jun 2018 08:51 AM PDT

    I've thought quite a bit about DRM and have basically sided with Valve over their thoughts on it: just create games that it's more desirable to have a legitimate copy, rather than making the game unplayable without it.

    But this means making multiplayer online games only, which I'm not really keen to.

    But what about multiplayer elements in a singleplayer game? Great examples are the bloodstains and messages in Demons Souls, and that asking for help healing system in Persona 4 Gold. The games are still playable without these features, but if you like the game at all, you'll like want to engage with the larger community.

    How effective is this stuff at bucking a piracy incentive? Any case studies floating around? And, more importantly, are they easily hackable? My game simply checks for steam authentication and then creates a profile that mirrors a player's steam account on the backend, so by being logged into steam they are logged into my servers as well and can get the multiplayer stuff. Are there ways to trick steam into authenticating their account to your game when they haven't bought it? I seem to remember some talk around using the developer game id 480 to somehow do something with piracy, but am not quite sure what they would do?

    submitted by /u/jprodfilm
    [link] [comments]

    How do I export a photshop animation into a game?

    Posted: 07 Jun 2018 12:19 PM PDT

    Hi, a friend of mine recently made an app in Xcode and asked me to do some visuals and animations. I made everything in photoshop CC cuz im poor but im having trouble actually exporting the animations in a useable format. Any advice?

    submitted by /u/KingAli326
    [link] [comments]

    Apple ditching opengl. What is alternative current game frame works?

    Posted: 06 Jun 2018 06:07 PM PDT

    I am hobby game developer(SFD...) and used libgdx framework for develop. But since it is based on opengl, I think Many framework will lose apple product compatibility. I heard unity and unreal already support metal, But I want use open source license free framework if possible. If anyone knows promising frame work support future apple product?

    submitted by /u/icefill
    [link] [comments]

    Deadlight Directors Cut GamePlay Español HD FINAL

    Posted: 07 Jun 2018 11:21 AM PDT

    Unity3D LERPing the Right way.

    Posted: 07 Jun 2018 11:18 AM PDT

    My first prototype in the wild: A 3D dungeon crawler game

    Posted: 07 Jun 2018 11:00 AM PDT

    Hello gamedev.

    A few days ago I just released my first game. Well, prototype because it doesn't even have an ending scene of sorts but I think it's playable enough. I have professional experience in Java but I'm interested in gamedev. In fact, that was the reason I choose to do a CS program in my local university. In all these years I have used many game engines but, at least for this prototype, I leaned towards HTML5. Phaser 2 and Three.js to be more specific. The upside is that people can try the game quickly. Coding this game took me like 8 months but on and off, and when it was on it was like part-time or even less. By the way, art was done by https://twitter.com/carolriverart, not by me.

    This game started as a homework for a web programming course. Some time ago I played The Dark Spire and some Etrian Odyssey games and I was wondering if I can do something a dungeon crawler game in the web. Now that I finished this I can say the web is more than capable. My take on the genre doesn't break any barriers but if the game have some positive reaction I might add a level system, item management and maybe a skill or magic system.

    I even track some game events via gameanalytics. With this I found a minority of players completed all the very light riddles the game offers.

    I followed the advice of creating a team name instead of uploading it in Itch.io with my nickname. I plan to upload more games in the future.

    Anyway, please check the game if you can https://irisinterludio.itch.io/malrrabas-tower. Comments are more than welcome!

    I'm thinking of uploading this prototype to other sites to get more visibility but I'm not sure. I posted it in r/IndieGaming but no comments whatsoever.

    submitted by /u/ragnatic
    [link] [comments]

    Getting traffic on your Steam page

    Posted: 07 Jun 2018 07:13 AM PDT

    My Steam page for 'Forward Line' has been public for about five days now, and I only have about 3000 impressions, 750 visits and 20 wishlists. Right now, I'm giving away Steam keys because I really need some feedback. I really wish those wishlisters would have noticed the announcement that keys are free right now. So far I've given out 40 beta keys to game collectors and only one of them has provided useful feedback. Game is free to all comers til I give out my pack of 300 keys for the purpose.

    Before I go to the press, I was hoping to get things a bit more polished, but for that I need feedback. Maybe I should start advertising anyway, even though the game might still have some rough spots? I didn't realize it would be so hard to get beta testers even with a permanent free copy of the game.

    I have climbed Mount Everest... but there's no oxygen up here and need someone to help me get down! I am alone in the universe!

    EDIT: Thanks so much for the feedback guys. Each one of you is worth 1000 game collectors!

    submitted by /u/cephalo2
    [link] [comments]

    A look at how to handle crisis PR for indie devs

    Posted: 07 Jun 2018 06:50 AM PDT

    Giveaway! Terrain Engine 2D - A 2D Block Engine for Unity

    Posted: 07 Jun 2018 10:26 AM PDT

    Hi guys, I'm giving away a copy of my asset Terrain Engine 2D!

    All you have to do to win is Like and Retweet this post on Twitter: https://twitter.com/mattwilson720/status/1004763995713110016

    For more information about the asset: https://forum.unity.com/threads/released-terrain-engine-2d-a-2d-block-engine-sandbox.532699/#post-3506758

    A winner will be announced one week from today, good luck!

    submitted by /u/activegamedev
    [link] [comments]

    1 comment: