• Breaking News

    Monday, June 11, 2018

    Showed our game at our first expo and it was completely worth it. Would recommend to everybody

    Showed our game at our first expo and it was completely worth it. Would recommend to everybody


    Showed our game at our first expo and it was completely worth it. Would recommend to everybody

    Posted: 11 Jun 2018 08:15 AM PDT

    A game developer community in my area had set up an expo to show off games that are being made in the region over the weekend. We decided that we might as well show off our game for the first time in demo form.

    The event had around 15 games and a decent amount of traffic through out the night. It was fantastic to say the least. We managed to get great feedback, we got to see how people interacted with the game, their thoughts and so much more. It was a great testing opportunity for us to catch some bugs as well. We were able to see what else people from our area were doing and it became a good networking opportunity.

    No 2 games were the same and each were at varying levels of completeness from prototypes to about to release.

    It was also a great confidence booster as everyone was super nice and everyone in attendance were genuinely excited about all the games. I personally was pretty scared out of mind to show our work. Its been a long while since I had to share something I have been working so hard on and love. But i powered through and I couldn't be more stoked to continue working on our game.

    This sub is fantastic to talk ideas and get feedback and it is priceless. Its great to see what everyone is working on as well. But I have to say that showing something physical and talking to people face to face is a whole other sensation that I think anyone who is making a game should try to do for reasons stated above.

    It doesn't have to be PAX or GDC or E3. Even just a local small comic con or even a meetup group. Show your work, regardless of its progress, get feedback and most of all have fun, people who attend these things love the things you love. We plan to go to more events and even though I am still scared out of my mind I think it is still a great thing to do.

    submitted by /u/lxg5810
    [link] [comments]

    First Publisher Meeting - what do they want to know / what to ask them?

    Posted: 11 Jun 2018 01:56 AM PDT

    Hi - I submitted my mobile game to one of the big publishers and they've responded that they'd like to work with me. I'm a lone dev and the game is about 70-80% ready.

    This is my first game and I've not talked to a publisher before so would like to know what to expect from this initial meeting. What will they want to know from me and what should I be asking them?

    submitted by /u/moonmaan1
    [link] [comments]

    Handling more and more NPC's in a procgen universe

    Posted: 11 Jun 2018 02:52 AM PDT

    Hi,

    for a while I've been creating a 2D procedurally generated space game, in the spirit of the original Elite series. And so far I've created NPC's that will live for the life span of the game, meaning that more and more NPC's will be created on the fly as the game progresses. All of these NPC's have their own life, own missions and own goals and right now I'm updating them on each tick, even though they might cover my entire universe and are by no means visible to the player.

    On my test setup I have created 10 star systems each with up to 8 planets and so far it has created 422 NPC's roaming the universe. I can only imagine how this number will expand as my universe expands over time.

    I can see a problem with updating all of them at every tick as I will need more and more cycles as the number increases and this I have to avoid. So far my idea is to pool the NPC's in chunks and only update 2 chunks on every tick.

    Chunk 1 : NPC's on the same planet as me Chunk 2 : A fixed number of NPC's on other planets Chunk 3 : A fixed number of NPC's on other planets Chunk 4 : etc

    So on tick 1 I will update chunk 1 and 2. On tick 2 I will update chunk 1 and 3 and so on.

    But will this be ok for the game? I'm unsure. This means that NPC's on other systems wont get updated as often, but I'm not sure if it will have any impact on the gameplay, will the player even notice this?

    How do you deal with this problem?

    submitted by /u/PetSkull
    [link] [comments]

    Level design struggle

    Posted: 11 Jun 2018 06:55 AM PDT

    As a person who is only about a year into game development, I thought some of the most fun would be the level design. As I work into my project, I find it harder and harder to come up with something new and challenging for the players.

    I actually find the code more fun than the actual design. Am I alone here? Any tips?

    submitted by /u/bworley90
    [link] [comments]

    Retro Dream (Synthwave Music -CC0 public domain)

    Posted: 11 Jun 2018 08:20 AM PDT

    Making Slime blobs in Asperite (3 mins timelapse)

    Posted: 11 Jun 2018 07:33 AM PDT

    After publishing Remnants of Naezith, I recovered my oldest dev-blog posts

    Posted: 11 Jun 2018 05:10 AM PDT

    SDL2 : possible to send a file with drag and drop between two SDL2 apps ?

    Posted: 11 Jun 2018 03:34 AM PDT

    hello, is it possible to drag and drop (for example a file path) between two SDL2 applications ? How would you do it ? Any resources or link appreciated, thanks in advance. What i would like is to have a graphic Icon on application A, that i can drag and then drop into application B' window, raising a drag and drop event on B.

    I found out how to receive drag and drops, but i couldn't figure out how to send them from application A.

    submitted by /u/auto-cellular
    [link] [comments]

    Georeferenced Terrain - UNIGINE Editor 2 Essentials

    Posted: 11 Jun 2018 09:29 AM PDT

    Why not procedurally generated people in games?

    Posted: 11 Jun 2018 12:20 PM PDT

    Many 3D games feature character creation with a vast array of options for the players to choose the appearance your new avatar. While body customization is not a regular option for playable characters, the options you have on the face/hair are normally vast. Also they're easily done by any player, with the use discrete choices (hair, beard styles, scars etc) or slides (shape of jaw, size of nose etc).

    Those same games, which offer such variety of creation, also normally feature random NPCs which are based on, at best, a few dozen presets, that look just the same. My question is: why don't devs make use of their already available tools to generate those non-important characters?

    From a technical standpoint, it should be easy to, inside a set of parameters, generate some credible faces. So what stops devs from doing so? Is there anything else I'm not seeing? Perhaps the burden of doing so is not worth the gain in content quality?

    submitted by /u/vhqr
    [link] [comments]

    Accepted a dare to make a FPS game, few questions;

    Posted: 11 Jun 2018 02:27 AM PDT

    So I accepted a dare to make a game. I absolutely love classic fps games like Doom, Wolfenstein, Shadow Warrior Classic, the list goes on. So I downloaded raycaster, went to a few asset websites, already own photoshop, and the only thing I'm stuck on is how do I separate the sprite png's? All the asset packs have one page with all the sprites animations, in raycaster each animation is its own image. I'll probably have questions on editing the menus look and adding music later but first I'm focusing on getting all the sprites I need then level building, the menu and music will be last. Thanks for the help.

    submitted by /u/AngeredTwitchian
    [link] [comments]

    Crosspoint in my life (24)

    Posted: 11 Jun 2018 06:59 AM PDT

    Hi everyone,

    After going to filmschool for 4 years, graduating from it and doing a couple things here and there, I find myself pretty lost now. I'm a documentary director from Holland, but it's very difficult to get a proper job. Sure, I do some freelancing here and there, but ever since Holland completely destroyed their budget for films and documentaries, I'm having a hard time finding a company where I can actually work. Most companies just hire interns for a year before swapping them for a new one.

    I've always been a writer. I write tons of stuff for myself. I've written on freelance basis (boring marketing stuff), some short filmscrips and documentaries and I'm currently working on the narrative of two indi-games (voluntarily). I absolutely adore writing for videogames and it's my ultimate dream to be writer for companies such as DONTNOD, Telltale, QD etc.

    But here we are. I'm 24 years old and work a dead-end, very unsatisfying job at my local gamestore. Things aren't going well in my personal life, and I just want to make a change. I NEED to. Yet... my parents are really trying to talk me into doing something with good job prospects. They want me to take a study in the medical field, since there is a big shortage of medics over here.

    I see where they're coming from. But at the same time, I'm not sure if I'm ready to just let go of my dreams. Secretly, I'm dreaming of starting at NHTV Breda (a very good game dev. school) but I am afraid of ending up with nothing, once again.

    I'd be so grateful to hear your advice. I have no idea what to do and it's making me restless and sad.

    submitted by /u/Cherokee-Roses
    [link] [comments]

    Javascript 2D Top-Down MMORPG Client/Server?

    Posted: 11 Jun 2018 12:37 PM PDT

    Has anybody got any experience with something like this? Maybe could lead me in the direction of what I'd end up using? I was thinking probably something like Node, Socket.io, MariaDB, then some kind of HTML5 Canvas type engine for the client side like Phaser.io or ExcaliburJS or something else? I'd want to have user authentication, persistent storage of character data, maps, etc.. Most importantly, I'd want to force integrity and validate user inputs, like preventing cheats (teleportation, excessive speed hacks, verifying proximity, preventing noclip, etc).

    submitted by /u/salty_camel
    [link] [comments]

    Future of graphics APIs: Direct3D or OpenGL/Vulkan?

    Posted: 11 Jun 2018 08:29 AM PDT

    What graphics API do you see leading the future of game development? Microsoft's Direct3D or OpenGL and Vulkan?
    I might be going against the grain here, but I think it's opengl. The fact that it's open source means that no one organization can decide to completely do away/change it. OpenGL is the better API, but just doesn't have the backing of a massive corporation like Microsoft.

    submitted by /u/LocalWorldEyeClipScr
    [link] [comments]

    Is someone maintaining a list of free assets?

    Posted: 10 Jun 2018 12:49 PM PDT

    People are always giving away cool free stuff on here but it can be hard to keep track of it all. If nobody else is currently doing this, I'm considering making a centralized list of all free game dev assets.

    submitted by /u/riskofTayne
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for some education advice!

    Posted: 11 Jun 2018 11:55 AM PDT

    So I have a decision to make at this point and I could do with some advice from people who are working for or have worked in the games industry. How important is it to get an honours degree? is it even a requirement? a lot of games related jobs I have seen never ask for any level of education. Development jobs outside of the games industry on the other hand have said that a good degree or honours 2:1 is required. I know i will not be getting any higher than a 2:2 with my honours if I go ahead with it. If this post needs to be taken down as it may be off topic thats ok.

    submitted by /u/DiscoveryGold
    [link] [comments]

    Dynamic client-server scaling for UE4 multiplayer

    Posted: 11 Jun 2018 11:43 AM PDT

    I am working on a multiplayer UE4 game and trying to figure out the best APIs and systems to use. Obviously starting off using any particular API/system means investing a lot of development time. So I am trying to investigate as thoroughly as possible before starting out.

    My UX goal is that players hit a button, "queue", from the main menu, and are put into a match-making pool which will automatically match them with other players (based on region, level, skill, etc.). Once matches, all players establish a connection to a dedicated server, as in traditional client-server architectures. However, I don't want to get into the business of managing servers, I want to focus on managing/developing the game.

    My development goal, therefore, is that the match-making service is done automatically (it seems like this is easily done with Gamesparks or similar services), but what I am not so sure about is whether Gamesparks (or similar services) can achieve dynamic (true) client-server scaling.

    Reading this Gamesparks tutorial, it sometimes sounds like Gamesparks is implementing P2P replication rather than a client-server model. Can anyone clarify this? Also, does anyone know of some more advanced tutorials or sample projects which include more layers (e.g. prioritisation) and authority?

    This tutorial seems to suggest that the Gamesparks Realtime API is actually a hybrid of P2P and client-server models. While that's intersting, it seems to me that it makes Gamesparks unsuitable or at least less powerful/developer-friendly for dynamic multiplayer client-server architecture scaling. Gamesparks' "Cloud Code" supposedly can do most of what UE4 networking layers can do, but at what development cost/inconvenience?

    Ideally I want dynamically-sized server clusters (i.e. automatically growing/shrinking across multiple regions depending on player count/usage) which can let me fully implement multiple networking layers, including replication prioritisation and flow/congestion control.

    I would appreciate any advice on existing solutions to this problem, especially whether Gamesparks fits the bill fully or partially.

    EDIT: Is Amazon Gamelift a good option?

    submitted by /u/tfburns
    [link] [comments]

    Best way to get interned at a Game Dev company?

    Posted: 11 Jun 2018 11:06 AM PDT

    Hi guys. After finishing college I'm at a bit of a crossroad. My only real passion in terms of going forward is game development, but it seems like a very almost risky road and I'm not sure what to do.

    I've applied and been accepted to Uni for a course of Economics, but truth be told I have no interest in the matter and so I'm certainly questioning that decision.

    I've dabbled in indie games and released a few on game jolt, but I have no idea how to make that leap forward in terms of actually getting seriously involved with the industry. Any help or advice?

    Thanks! :)

    submitted by /u/raffoth
    [link] [comments]

    How to actually market to foreign countries?

    Posted: 11 Jun 2018 09:12 AM PDT

    There is some common wisdom to translate your game to certain languages. But how do you actually market to places outside of the US (Or whichever country you call home)? Most indie guides I see out there are for marketing to US/GB/English speaking european customers, but what about outside of that realm? I know that companies large enough to worry about this have their own departments that deal with marketing to other countries, but it would be cool if there were country specific guides.

    submitted by /u/jprodfilm
    [link] [comments]

    I wrote a guide to making games in 6 stages: design, art, code, audio, polish, market.

    Posted: 10 Jun 2018 03:37 PM PDT

    Hi all!

    Over the past 2 years I've taught myself how to make games and I thought I could show you all what I've learned. I wrote a 19-minute long guide on how to make a game that teaches the 6 stages of game development I personally go through -

    Article: From Zero to Game Designer

    Thanks for your time, and best of luck to you and your game (ง •̀_•́)ง

    submitted by /u/zephyo
    [link] [comments]

    Why Ninja Theory has joined Microsoft Studios

    Posted: 10 Jun 2018 02:58 PM PDT

    Marketing Monday #225 - Good Descriptions

    Posted: 10 Jun 2018 08:04 PM PDT

    What is Marketing Monday?

    Post your marketing material like websites, email pitches, trailers, presskits, promotional images etc., and get feedback from and give feedback to other devs.

    RULES

    • Do NOT try to promote your game to game devs here, we are not your audience. This is only for feedback and improvement.

    • Clearly state what you want feedback on otherwise your post may be removed. (Do not just dump Kickstarter or trailer links)

    • If you post something, try to leave some feedback on somebody else's post. It's good manners.

    • If you do post some feedback, try to make sure it's good feedback: make sure it has the what ("The logo sucks...") and the why ("...because it's hard to read on most backgrounds").

    • A very wide spectrum of items can be posted here, but try to limit yourself to one or two important items in your post to prevent it from being cluttered up.

    • Promote good feedback, and upvote those who do! Also, don't forget to thank the people who took some of their time to write some feedback for you, even if you don't agree with it.

    Note: Using url shorteners is discouraged as it may get you caught by Reddit's spam filter.


    All Previous Marketing Mondays

    submitted by /u/Sexual_Lettuce
    [link] [comments]

    AdMob, should I block categories?

    Posted: 11 Jun 2018 04:58 AM PDT

    I have played my fair share of games and nearly all of them just show gaming ads, or at least they do for me. On my new app I decided to give AdMob a try and I am wondering if it's a good idea to block certain ad categories to display. At first I wanted to just show gaming related ads, but somehow I cannot block all other categories, as it starts to show "Too big to block" as I go trough blocking categories. Anyway, since admob is from Google I expect it to show customized ads depending on the user, so if the user is interested in buying a car lately it can serve a ad for that. This means I should not fiddle around with blocking categories at all.And how does this translate to mediation, does it has the same control if I add a bunch of ad networks to AdMob? In other words, do they accept and supply categories to AdMob so it can personalize the ads?

    Or perhaps AdMob is not the way to monetize games at all and I should pick a network that just supplies game ads such as Chartboost?

    submitted by /u/CtrlAltDelerium
    [link] [comments]

    GDPR privacy policy copy...

    Posted: 11 Jun 2018 08:35 AM PDT

    Does anyone have, or is there available a standard privacy policy for apps in regards to the GDPR?

    I have a couple of apps about to go out of the door (just basic gaming apps that deliver targeted or un-targeted banner ads) and I need to supply a privacy policy to go alongside them. I've no idea what data I'm actually accessing (and I've no desire to actually have or do anything with it outside of delivering relevant ads) so I don't know what it is I should be writing.

    submitted by /u/Bootfit
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment