• Breaking News

    Thursday, June 7, 2018

    Forbes needs to "process" your request if you decide not to allow data collection. web developers

    Forbes needs to "process" your request if you decide not to allow data collection. web developers


    Forbes needs to "process" your request if you decide not to allow data collection.

    Posted: 07 Jun 2018 06:27 AM PDT

    Interactive chef slider

    Posted: 07 Jun 2018 09:18 AM PDT

    A good article to help you build your first electron app

    Posted: 07 Jun 2018 02:53 AM PDT

    Can anyone explain what Docker is, and how it is useful?

    Posted: 07 Jun 2018 12:08 PM PDT

    I keep hearing Docker mentioned, from what I have googled it is kind of like a VM but without using a VM at all, but local 'containers'? But I don't really get it - can anyone else explain this very simply to me?

    submitted by /u/princessrachie
    [link] [comments]

    Wes Bos' CSS Grid Course Now on YouTube (25 Videos)

    Posted: 07 Jun 2018 10:44 AM PDT

    Ryan Dahl - 10 Things I Regret About Node.js (JSConf EU 2018)

    Posted: 07 Jun 2018 01:12 AM PDT

    Forbes also has some interesting choices of which are "required" cookies and which cookies are used for optimization or advertising

    Posted: 07 Jun 2018 11:51 AM PDT

    Still some confusion about Javascript promises? This video should be helpful.

    Posted: 07 Jun 2018 06:20 AM PDT

    Deploying Craft CMS to Digital Ocean

    Posted: 07 Jun 2018 12:40 PM PDT

    What do you think will happen in terms of WebGL now that Apple has deprecated OpenGL?

    Posted: 07 Jun 2018 02:20 PM PDT

    If I'm not mistaken, WebGL makes OpenGL calls under the hood. Apple recently decided to deprecate OpenGL in favor of their own graphics API, Metal. This means the cross functionality of using OpenGL developers enjoyed before between Windows and Mac (and Linux) is no longer viable. While a lot of the outcry has come from the game dev community, I had to think of web dev and the transition into more immersive graphical experiences in the near future. Isn't one of the most important aspects of the web to make development be as OS agnostic as possible? I'm curious to hear what you all think will happen. Will there be a fragmentation in graphical web applications between Mac and PC? Or will Apple find itself in a similar situation as with gaming, where browsing certain web apps is just not viable. While Apple has been fine with gamers not being interested in their hardware, I doubt they'd feel the same for people looking to use the web (most people).

    submitted by /u/Rob_Blob
    [link] [comments]

    My understanding of web architecture

    Posted: 07 Jun 2018 09:16 AM PDT

    Hi, I've been learning web development and architectures for the past month and I would like to share what I've understood so far in hopes of getting approved or corrected by more advanced (hopefully) webdevs :)

    My research first started by picking a cloud provider: I personally picked google out of the 3 leaders (AWS, GCP, Azure) because of its pricing and documentation.

    Next I learned Django (Python web framework) to start off some local development.

    Django has everything needed to build a solid website, however I've come to understanding that having a RESTful API website has significant advantages (such as being able to implement a mobile app only by developing a front-end for android/iOS) and it is best to think of the full architecture of your website at the start of your project as changing things can quickly get complicated once you've deployed and are in production.

    So I've decided that it would be best to split my back and front-end. The back-end would be a RESTful API, serving content from a Postgres server using Django rest framework. This would be a project inside Google Cloud Platform.

    For the front-end I did little research to quickly adopt AngularJS (I disagree with React's terms). So this front-end would be a different project inside Google Cloud Platform.

    This is how I think it will all work:

    A client types mysite.com, it is redirected to the front end Angular server which shows the index page. This index page has fields which must be queried from the back-end database, therefore an API request is made by the Angular app to the Django app, and when Django answers with a JSON file the Angular app will immediately update the client's page.

    This way I could update my front-end or back-end separately. For example if I had to go from relational databases to NoSQL (this would probably be a complex maneuver) I would only have to change my back-end. But I think that using Postgres would be fine as long as I don't upload large files such as images.

    I'm still learning but it would be great if I could get some advice/approval/correction.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Apokalipsis
    [link] [comments]

    A refreshing perspective from Brad Frost

    Posted: 07 Jun 2018 11:30 AM PDT

    Github Guesser - A Starry Game

    Posted: 07 Jun 2018 12:50 AM PDT

    Hey devs!

    I am happy to announce that I am releasing the very first version of my new pet project.

    It's a really simple game: You need to guess which GitHub repository has more stars, based on the given information! Just click / touch the one you think is more popular and in a moment you will know whether you won or lost!

    You can find the game here: Github Guesser
    (plain link if you prefer that: https://githubguesser.messedcode.com/)

    Soon I will release the source code too on GitHub. The repository is already initialize if you are interested in watching or starring it: https://github.com/david-szabo97/github-guesser

    I am planning a few features to be released in the next few weeks:

    • Login using Github so you can track your stats
    • Backend: Uploading stats
    • Backend: Pull repositories
    • Frontend: Show how many people won or lost the combination you just finished

    GOT ANY IDEAS? Share it!!!!

    PS Have you met Static yet?

    PPS You can find my blog at https://messedcode.com

    submitted by /u/newboyhun
    [link] [comments]

    What does being a senior developer mean to you?

    Posted: 07 Jun 2018 11:32 AM PDT

    Hello all,

    Today I finished my probation period at work, and some of the feedback was that I was not working at "senior developer" level, in terms of coding, I've been told it's excellent, but there is something more as a senior developer I should be doing - so question is, what do you think a senior developer means? What do you think the difference is between a mid and senior level developer?

    I tried to get feedback so I could improve, but they weren't very forthcoming!

    submitted by /u/Mammoth_Sized
    [link] [comments]

    My consultancy company asking me to show fake experience. What should I do?

    Posted: 07 Jun 2018 07:26 AM PDT

    I have about 7 yrs experience in financial services industry. Post this I have a gap of 5 years in my career. Last year I decided to change my industry and got self trained on web development. Last month I joined a consultancy as UI developer on contract. They mentioned that I will be placed at their clients location on contract. Now they are asking me to fill my career gap of 4 years with fake experience in web development and pushing me to attend interview at client's location.

    What should I do in this situation?

    If I the consultancy shows 4 years experience for me and pushes me to the client. Wouldn't the client expectation from me would be that of an experienced developer. I am not sure if i can perform at the same level as an experienced developer.

    submitted by /u/rahulsim2012
    [link] [comments]

    The interview tips for web design and development agency.

    Posted: 07 Jun 2018 05:21 AM PDT

    Hi

    I have an interview next week for a web agency (Over Skype). The position is for a Laravel developer. This will be my first ever job.

    Any tips/advice?

    submitted by /u/irishdevel
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a better way to fill out online job applications? I feel like many sites use the same system and I'm typing the same information over and over again.

    Posted: 07 Jun 2018 09:58 AM PDT

    What version of Strapi should I be using?

    Posted: 07 Jun 2018 01:23 PM PDT

    I'm using strapi for a project at work and I need to decide what version I should be using.

    There are two versions: version 1 looks like it is on it's way out (I read somewhere on here that they were going to shut down strapi studio in the coming months) and version 3, which says it's in alpha.

    I don't want to build something just to have to go through the trouble of migrating it to a new version a few months later, but also don't want to use something that isn't super stable.

    Does anybody have any insight as to what would be the better choice, or know of something else that is similar?

    submitted by /u/brenstar
    [link] [comments]

    Using a template for your Portfolio Page

    Posted: 07 Jun 2018 12:37 PM PDT

    Hey everyone. I have a question that has had me sitting on my hands for a while now. I'm ramping up to try to find my first web development job and I'm working on creating a few projects to showcase what I can do.

    Is it ok to use a template (Boostrap, WordPress etc) to make your portfolio look decent?

    My design skills are lacking and I've focused mostly on backend projects to show employers so I feel that creating a portfolio page from scratch that looks unpolished might distract from the work I'm presenting. I also feel that trying to create a visually appealing site would be a time sink and take away time from my other projects.

    Any advice on this would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for any answers.

    submitted by /u/exia1995
    [link] [comments]

    Can someone explain how this virtual scroll here on reddit is done?

    Posted: 07 Jun 2018 11:36 AM PDT

    https://i.imgur.com/WjHhdWt.png

    I see that there are containers. As you scroll up or down, there is some magic being done with them. When u scroll far enough from one, it gets it's height set & it's content hidden.

    • Now if you hide the content with display: none, is it good for performance?
    • Can anyone recommend a good article/tutorial on how to implement this kind of infinite scroll(where you can literally scroll for hours)?
    • Is there any other(better) way to scroll through this kind of a list with dynamic height items - where maybe the previous/next far away elements get removed from DOM or something?
    submitted by /u/Lukeg1337
    [link] [comments]

    What it takes to create in email forms?

    Posted: 07 Jun 2018 11:14 AM PDT

    Guys hi,

    I am not sure if it's web dev question cause i am talking about "in email" forms, but hope one of you can point me in right direction.

    Currently we have "write a review" form on our website. And we want to move this form directly into email so customers don't have to do extra click. (similar to what yopto does)

    What is needed to be done in order to achieve it?

    submitted by /u/hekkoman
    [link] [comments]

    Why static type language is prefer among experience programmer?

    Posted: 07 Jun 2018 10:58 AM PDT

    Enterprise prefer Spring over something like Laravel because of the language the framework use. I know there a bad reputation with PHP but why programmer tend to prefer complicated language over simple one? Event Javascript as backend is not coming close when it come to enterprise.

    I'm just curious. can someone explain?

    Take this Hashmap Object for example:

    I have an Item class which will be use as a model. I wrote it in Java. ```java import...

    public class Item { Long id; String name; Double price;

    public Item(){} public Item(Long id, String name, String price){ this.id = id; this.name = name; this.price = price; } 

    } ```

    And ItemStub class ```java import...

    public class ItemStub { private static Map<Long, Item> lists = new HashMap<Long, Item>();

    static { Item[] items = new Item[3]; items[0] = new Item(1L, "Shoes", 9.99f); items[1] = new Item(1L, "Pant", 9.99f); items[2] = new Item(1L, "Shirt", 9.99f);

     for(i=0; i<items.length; i++){ list.put(i, items[i]); } 

    }

    public static List<Item> getItem(){ return new ArrayList<Item>(lists.values()); };

    } ```

    And here in Javascript javascript const items = [ {id:1, name:'Shoes', price: 9.99}, {id:1, name:'Pant', price: 9.99}, {id:1, name:'Shirt', price: 9.99} ]

    submitted by /u/GTHell
    [link] [comments]

    How can I find someone really familiar with npm for error solving?

    Posted: 07 Jun 2018 07:04 AM PDT

    I want to find someone (and pay them) to fix some problems I'm having with npm over teamviewer. I have some issues with node-sass and ionic and a few other stuff apparently and I just can't fix it. I've set a 150 bounty of stackoverflow as well and no one is able to answer. I posted on github and the same.

    At this point I desperately need help but I don't know where to turn.

    How should I go about finding someone capable of helping me out? I'd be willing to pay

    Edit: here is the stackoverflow question as an example.. https://stackoverflow.com/questions/50380702/error-failed-to-transpile-program-ionic2

    submitted by /u/SimonFOOTBALL
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment