• Breaking News

    Monday, June 11, 2018

    Does Your Brain Just Stop Working After Writing an Insane Amount of Code? web developers

    Does Your Brain Just Stop Working After Writing an Insane Amount of Code? web developers


    Does Your Brain Just Stop Working After Writing an Insane Amount of Code?

    Posted: 10 Jun 2018 09:58 PM PDT

    Idk if it's just me, but whenever I write too much code my brain just stops working... like I would just be unable to write anymore code or solve problems, it goes away after taking a break or eating a snack. Does this happen to anyone else, or just me?

    edit: grammar

    submitted by /u/CoolByDesign
    [link] [comments]

    The GraphQL Stack, explained

    Posted: 11 Jun 2018 10:53 AM PDT

    Why is Front-End Development So Unstable?

    Posted: 11 Jun 2018 06:50 AM PDT

    How you can improve your workflow using the JavaScript console

    Posted: 11 Jun 2018 01:23 PM PDT

    Updated my portfolio after some recent work - really simple, made with Vue and Webpack 4. Code is open-source.

    Posted: 11 Jun 2018 08:55 AM PDT

    50 platforms you may use to promote your next startup

    Posted: 11 Jun 2018 02:10 PM PDT

    Salary of subordinate above mine

    Posted: 11 Jun 2018 08:20 AM PDT

    I'm a full stack web dev working on an in-house web app that handles most of the company's day to day operations. I've basically built it from the ground up over the past six years and have years of work ahead of me. Up until now it's been a one man show, but management above me wants to bring someone else aboard to start speeding things up a little bit. For hypothetical purposes, let's say my salary is 50k. The average salary of a full stack web dev in this area is in the ballpark of 75k.

    How would you approach a conversation with management about the salary discrepancy? Or is there even a discrepancy outside of envy? Would you wait until this person is hired and their salary is set in stone to approach the subject, or would you approach them before?

    My plan is to approach them and start with the amount of money that this app that I wrote saves the company, my localized experience with how the company works, and throwing in a little bit of 'this guy under me is gonna be making more than me'.

    I've been at the company 15 years if that matters. I did not start here as a developer, that's just how things went.

    submitted by /u/impediment
    [link] [comments]

    Requesting feedback on resume and portfolio

    Posted: 11 Jun 2018 11:00 AM PDT

    Hello all,

    First, a little background: I was looking to change careers and got into IT. While in school, I developed a passion for web development. Last year I graduated with a BS in Information Technology.

    I've been looking for jobs for a while and haven't had much luck. I know it has to be what I have on my resume and portfolio, so I wanted to ask more seasoned developers for opinions.

    Portfolio

    Resume

    Please let me know what you think, all feedback is appreciated. Thank you.

    submitted by /u/realjshmoopy
    [link] [comments]

    I found a bug in MailChimp's API months ago. I reported it, they confirmed the bug, credited my account $1050, but the bug still hasn't been fixed months later. Any MailChimp devs lurking in here?

    Posted: 11 Jun 2018 05:50 AM PDT

    It is not possible to trigger a plaintext test from a campaign via the API. It will send the HTML version of the email.

    Feb 16:

    Thank you for your patience today with this issue. We did find that it's a bug in the API that is not allowing those plain text emails to send and only allowing for the HTML version to be sent. We've informed our developers of this case to have it documented and they're going to be working on a fix for it.

    This has been tying up deployment of some changes to our newsletter system since Feb 16th.

    I'm pretty sure I found the issue as well. In the campaign testing endpoint, they reference plain_text but everywhere else in the API documentation it's referenced as plaintext.

    Any MailChimp devs lurking?

    submitted by /u/loki_racer
    [link] [comments]

    Build a toggle control smiley face using HTML and CSS • r/css

    Posted: 11 Jun 2018 03:38 AM PDT

    Frustrated with current position: Need some Advice

    Posted: 11 Jun 2018 04:00 PM PDT

    I've been working at my current position for almost a year (working as a webdev for ~10). It's generally been really great so far and I love the company. I'm the sole web developer working under a web manager. My "web" department of two people is nested within marketing.

    I currently feel like I'm on the verge of burnout and am not sure what to do. I do all backend and frontend development on our site, work with content producers and designers when they need help, and run all CMS/module updates, work with CDN implementation/optimizations, etc. Lots of hats on my head....

    I'm finding myself increasingly frustrated with this position for what I think are two reasons:

    • I don't know if my boss has much of a background in the tech-side of web-management and thus, doesn't fully know what it takes to implement a lot of what I'm being assigned. I'm frequently finding that I have way more on my plate each week than is even remotely feasible to accomplish—let alone accomplish well—in that timeframe.
    • My team is fully on the marketing team. I'm constantly fighting a losing war against an effort to endlessly add the latest marketing/analytics tools to our site while also trying to explain why our site isn't as blazingly fast as our competitors'. I also feel like all effort on the site are geared toward marketing and concerns related to technical debt or standards are given no credence.

    I love this company and this job but oof. I'm more and more often leaving in a frustrated mood...like I'm constantly behind and doing work just enough to meet deadlines but not quality.

    I feel like this company not only needs a marketing web person but someone providing tech oversight and management. Is this even something one could broach? How? Or is this just a poor environment and one I should look to leave behind.

    Thank you for your advice!

    submitted by /u/SquidThistle
    [link] [comments]

    Building a Data Feed From Scratch

    Posted: 11 Jun 2018 03:47 PM PDT

    Apologies in advance for the wall of text! I've started designing a JSON data feed and, although I've got the abstract concepts in hand, when it comes to actually deciding on the tech I want to use, I find myself constantly flitting back and forth between different persistence technologies and REST frameworks.

    Experience-wise, I've built not insignificant applications using various combinations of tech:

    Web Frameworks Flask Django Node

    Front-end Pure JS React Some Vue (not enough to really know anything) Jinja

    CSS Frameworks Bootstrap Vanilla CSS CSS Grid

    Persistence Elastic Mongo Postgres SQLite3 MySQL

    I code day-to-day in Python, but comfortable enough with JS.

    I'm more or less good enough with the above tech that I can get started, and I know what to Google when I inevitably break things. My biggest headache is never having designed anything akin to an enterprise-grade feed, I have no experience to fall-back on, and I can't seem to find any modern or even relevant articles.

    Design-wise, it's a fairly simple flow, consisting of a registration page; SAP/Dashboard for various stats, configuration, security settings. That's more or less it for the front-end, back-end will be a framework to handle authentication (probably JWT) and routing to various endpoints. When it comes to the persistence: searching isn't going to be a huge factor (indexing by date, given it's a time-sensitive data feed), but redundancy and storage concerns certainly will be - the potential for the data to grow to Terabytes in the first few months is extremely real.

    I know a lot of these choices are considered to be subjective (go with what you know), but I'd appreciate thoughts, critiques and improvements on my initial concept:

    Front-end React - mostly due to the ease of deploying a SPA/Dashboard. Given that page dynamics are likely not going to be a huge factor (charts updating once every N minutes, certainly not realtime), so I keep going back to just using CSS Grid with vanilla JS and an AJAX lib.

    REST Framework I am leaning toward Django, despite being vastly more experienced with Flask. Django has a lot of the batteries included for a REST framework, and has an enormous community. Similar to my thoughts on React; I get the feeling that it's going to be overkill and the complexity of maintaining and upgrading such a heavy framework may become problematic later down the line

    Persistence I'm almost certainly going to run with ElasticSearch, as it covers every one of my needs. But I'd love to hear peoples' views and experiences on using ES as persistence mechanism for a high-velocity data feed. Inserting and Indexing will be the biggest factors, AFAICS (although I'm far from an expert on the tech). I've heard fairly good things about Postgres JSON capabilities, but, again, nobody who has actively used it in this capacity.

    One last thing, is deployment: the sensible solution seems to be AWS or Azure, but I have precisely zero experience with either host - my projects have always been hosted on DigitalOcean, until now, but they're certainly not appropriate for this type of project.

    I'd love to hear thoughts on this type of project, my suggested stack and definitely would love any alternatives (ideally based on my skillset, but I'm always willing to learn new things!).

    submitted by /u/RedSquirl
    [link] [comments]

    Why do computers use binary?

    Posted: 11 Jun 2018 03:32 PM PDT

    “Pairing” Development

    Posted: 11 Jun 2018 03:01 PM PDT

    I have seen some job posting for jobs that use a method they called "Pairing", where you are paired with abs work with another developer and share a screen. Does anyone have experience with this style of work and what are your thoughts on it?

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/steveox152
    [link] [comments]

    How hard is it to relocate from EU to USA for web dev work in 2018?

    Posted: 11 Jun 2018 02:59 PM PDT

    I came across a post just now and it was made during the time Trump became president that it became really difficult to relocate to USA for a job. All companies stopped hiring from outside USA. I've been learning web development like crazy because I was planning on relocating to California for a job. I'm in a long distance relationship, that's why it's important.

    I'm worried I've screwed up by thinking it's much easier than it is. Been promising my partner that it will be a peace of cake for me to find a job and relocate to her.

    I'm a self taught full stack web developer (django + vue). No professional experience, but I've made a portfolio and I'm currently working on an app that I think it has potential to become popular within the niche market I'm building it for. I think it would be an impressive piece to show employers.

    I was planning on beginning to search for work as soon as the app is finished, and I just would like to know how my chances look? Any advice that you can give me as well? And how much lower salary should I expect than what a US citizen would get for the same job?

    submitted by /u/FrostyFun
    [link] [comments]

    Question on "rebuilding" an old website

    Posted: 11 Jun 2018 02:20 PM PDT

    My father works for an office that has an website, but it's kind of old. The design is really good even for 2018, but the way it's made (tables, ugh) and the non-responsive style is really sh*tty.

    I was wondering if I could rebuild the website using the original design, rewriting the code by my own and selling it to the office for some money (not much). Is it ok using the design of other company, but that was paid by my father's office?

    There's a little more I need to know: they would have to give me access to the domain DNS (then I would upload the website on Netlify).

    submitted by /u/coerapaziada2017
    [link] [comments]

    Heroku Node application error

    Posted: 11 Jun 2018 02:07 PM PDT

    I have updated this no problem about a week ago. Added a new item to my portfolio and now Heroku is giving me an Application Error. git push heroku master shows no problems. The build logs on the Heroku site show build succeeded and deployed. BUT, when I attempt to use the Heroku CLI in git bash terminal, such as heroku --version or heroku logs, I receive this message: /c/Program Files (x86)/Heroku/bin/heroku: line 4: /c/Users/Owner/git-fast/portfolio/ruby: No such file or directory I have all the node_modules installed, just have no idea what and how this is not a successful deployment.

    submitted by /u/unstoppablenow
    [link] [comments]

    ServerPilot Changes to App Based Pricing

    Posted: 11 Jun 2018 02:41 AM PDT

    MongoDB Date problems?

    Posted: 11 Jun 2018 01:43 PM PDT

    Hey everyone, so I am having an issue with MongoDB and keeping track of the date accurately. Basically I just want to keep track of the date when users register using my form. The problem is I noticed when I tested yesterday, that today the dates updated to today's numeric date even though the data was entered yesterday. I am using the date function in my schema below, any help would be greatly appreciated!

    var userSchema = new Schema({ firstName: {type: String, required: true, validate: nameValidator}, lastName: {type: String, required: true, validate: nameValidator}, addressOne: {type: String, required: true, validate: addressValidator}, addressTwo: {type: String, validate: addressTwoValidator}, city: {type: String, required: true, validate: cityValidator}, state: {type: String, required: true, validate: stateValidator}, zipcode: {type: String, required: true, validate: zipValidator}, country: {type: String, required: true, validate: countryValidator}, registrationDate: {type: Date, default: Date.now} }); 
    submitted by /u/Phizy
    [link] [comments]

    HTTPS Anti-Vaxxers; dispelling common arguments against securing the web

    Posted: 11 Jun 2018 09:07 AM PDT

    Udacity or Team Tree House Front End Nanodegree?

    Posted: 11 Jun 2018 10:06 AM PDT

    Haven't heard much about either, but I need something to supplement with FCC.

    submitted by /u/LastVisage
    [link] [comments]

    Make your Vuex mutation names friendly

    Posted: 10 Jun 2018 11:02 PM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment