• Breaking News

    Thursday, May 31, 2018

    Today I hit 6 months in learning how to program journey, so here are some tips if you are on this process too ... learn programming

    Today I hit 6 months in learning how to program journey, so here are some tips if you are on this process too ... learn programming


    Today I hit 6 months in learning how to program journey, so here are some tips if you are on this process too ...

    Posted: 31 May 2018 11:00 AM PDT

    I'm following this as curriculum https://teachyourselfcs.com/ and it's awesome.

    1 - Don't just learn a language, learn how to program. Syntax won't help you if you don't think correctly on how to approach a problem. The best way to this imo is to hit up a college intro course to programming, there are a lot online and they emphasize on programming concepts instead of languages. Learning a language after those course is a piece of cake. And if you want a deeper understanding of programming languages you can continue by studying compilers and how programming languages are made. Avoid udemy unless it's a renown teacher. every random people on this planet that thinks they can teach can post a course there, it doesn't mean you will learn well from them.

    2 - LEARN MATHS. Seriously LEARN MATHS, from scratch if you need to, it's fine. Programming and computer science are just applied mathematics. You can get away with simple math and not knowing much, but you'll be a way better programmer if you have a good understanding of math. Why you may ask? Because math is pure logic thinking in order to solve problems, and you need that logic thinking, it helps you think differently on how you can approach a problem in order to solve it ... Don't think that you can't do it or that you sucked at school, the brain is a muscle you can work it out, just start with the basics and go on from there. If you're bad it's not your brain or maths' fault, it's yours for learning it incorrectly and not giving it more time and attention.

    3 - Don't worry about getting a job, worry about how you can be a better programmer, if you are good jobs will be easy to find (I already have offers and I didn't look for a job) just by networking, going to meetup and so on ... so work on yourself so you can be better and this apply to everything not just programming.

    4 - Finally don't count on your motivation, it will fade away really really fast. What you need is "DISCIPLINE". Keep it up everyday, set some rules you have to follow. Tell your surroundings about your rules so they can call you up if you don't respect them so you can get back at learning again. Trust me it will be worth it ...

    Good luck, and thanks to this awesome community. Free education is gold, but you know what? People who help each other to learn more and improve are better ...

    Thanks for reading.

    Edit 1 - English is not my native language, so don't hesitate to correct me if there are mistakes. Thanks

    submitted by /u/Lesabotsy
    [link] [comments]

    What are some platforms I can use to learn programming or work on projects with others?

    Posted: 31 May 2018 07:59 PM PDT

    I'd like to not only find others to follow a curriculum with but also to work on projects to build skills.

    submitted by /u/eldanielho
    [link] [comments]

    30 seconds of interviews - A curated list of common interview questions and answers

    Posted: 31 May 2018 05:03 AM PDT

    Interviews are daunting and can make even the most seasoned expert forget things under pressure. Review and learn what questions are commonly encountered in interviews curated by the community that's answered them and go prepared for anything they'll ask. By bringing together experience and real-world examples, you can go from being nervous to being prepared for that next big opportunity.

    Github project link: https://github.com/fejes713/30-seconds-of-interviews

    submitted by /u/invest-wisely
    [link] [comments]

    C or Python?

    Posted: 31 May 2018 10:30 AM PDT

    Hi
    So i'm a person who likes using MCUs as a hobby. I've been using Arduino and it's pseudo language but now i'm trying to step further into programming so I bought a couple of ESP32, which uses C instead of Pseudo C, but it can also be adapted to use python.
    So I'm trying to decide which one is best for me to start learning more concepts.
    I know python is easier but slower than C. That kind of time edge is not really important for my MCU projects. However, I also know that learning difficult things make easier for you to understand easier languages in the future (like python)
    Any thoughts or advice about this?
    I understand basic programming concepts and I have a small and brief history of front end webpage programming with HTML, CSS and very little js, as well as medium Powershell knowledge.

    submitted by /u/Morkelon
    [link] [comments]

    If codecademy doesn't teach you how to "program", what does?

    Posted: 31 May 2018 07:46 PM PDT

    I'm not a complete beginner, I know how to write basic applications, but I don't understand what people mean when they says codecademy doesn't teach you how to program and just syntax. What is "programming", by this definition? And how would you learn it? Maybe something like rob miles' yellow book?

    One thing I definitely don't understand is when people say freecodecamp doesn't teach programming, it taught me how to solve problems, and when I was stuck, search online.

    submitted by /u/Its_Blazertron
    [link] [comments]

    Is it bad to use a 3rd party plugin in my online portfolio?

    Posted: 31 May 2018 10:44 PM PDT

    Hi everyone

    I just want to know, is it okay to use a 3rd party plugin in your online portfolio? I know someone who used a plugin on their website but they still got a job.

    I can make a basic function for a WordPress site where an image appears in a modal pop up but I needed something more dynamic for WordPress galleries. Because of this, I just installed a plugin for a lightbox on a WordPress site but I have mixed views. On one hand, I feel like I cheated because I didn't personally type the code on myself. On the other hand, the code is so complicated that I don't know if it's realistic to expect someone to type it on their own.

    Considering that I one day want to get a job, I don't know if the plug in will hurt my chances of getting a job.

    submitted by /u/ConanTheLeader
    [link] [comments]

    (java)Question about generating a random number?

    Posted: 31 May 2018 10:42 PM PDT

    So when I look up tutorials for generating a random number it says to do this:

    int randomInt = random.nextInt(high) + low; 

    and that if high=5 and low=0 it will generate 0-5 but when I do it it generates 0-4.

    submitted by /u/Spiritual_Hyena
    [link] [comments]

    Making a text-based game in python what should I use as an organizer?

    Posted: 31 May 2018 10:39 PM PDT

    I'm making a text-based game in python to get better at coding. The game I plan to make will have multiple options with multiple endings, kinda like a make your own adventure type thing. I'm just wondering what I should use to organize the different outcomes and how I would go about doing that. I'm currently using google docs.

    submitted by /u/iOwnUranus
    [link] [comments]

    How much is ‘Piscine’ in Ecole42 worth to join?

    Posted: 31 May 2018 10:33 PM PDT

    Hi,

    I am a graduate student in data science. Can anyone share your experience or opinion to join 'Piscine' in Paris?

    I want to do sort of summer exchange program in 2019 and count the piscine at Ecole42 in (I passed its online test).

    Many articles say it is a novel school and students' reviews are very positive even to 'Piscine'.

    Do you think it is worthier than summer exchange program in conventional universities?

    Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/SyenPark
    [link] [comments]

    Is p1xt’s JavaScript 2.0 guide up to date?

    Posted: 31 May 2018 09:55 AM PDT

    I plan on going through the guide, and just want to make sure it's up to date? Those of you that went through it, should I supplement it with something else as well?

    submitted by /u/LastVisage
    [link] [comments]

    Questions about family pressure

    Posted: 31 May 2018 06:16 PM PDT

    So I've been learning Web Development for 3 1/2 months now. Started with FCC, then went into a Udemy course for full stack dev. So far I feel pretty comfortable with html/CSS/Javascript and React. I know the bare basics of nodeJS and have dabbled in a tiny bit of python to check it out.

    Now my real question is how do you deal with family pressure? I am 22 years old as of March. It's really just my dad that bugs me about spending time learning coding rather than having a job and grinding away.

    Formerly I was a caretaker for the school board just a few months ago, and he doesn't see the value in learning this skill set because nothing is happening right this second, even though it could pay off in the future by sticking it out. I've tried explaining this to him, but he makes me feel guilty for wanting to try it.

    I've had an interview for a startup and am supposed to hear back from them in a week or so. Harassing them through emails won't help so I'm going to let the dust settle and wait.

    Has anyone else had a similar situation with a family member? It really stresses me out and makes me upset. He seems to think 22 is old and I should have it all together because he did at my age. Though most of my friends are in school still...

    Sorry if this came off a bit rant-y, and thanks for any advice you can provide about coping.

    submitted by /u/AfricanTurtles
    [link] [comments]

    How would you approach designing an algorithm for complex seating?

    Posted: 31 May 2018 09:54 PM PDT

    Suppose you have a seating layout where desks are arranged in groups of 2-8. The groups of desks are arranged somewhat randomly, and not in any kind of row/column pattern.

    When assigning people to their seats, there are a few rules to abide by, such as:

    • More senior people get the bigger, more spacious desks
    • Any one person should be within 2 desk lengths of a team mate
    • Any one person should be within 5 desk lengths of their supervisor

    It's possible more rules could be added later on.

    What specific algorithms (e.g. related to machine learning, genetic, grouping) should I be looking at to efficiently assign people to seats which stick to these rules as close as possible?

    submitted by /u/werzor
    [link] [comments]

    [python] easier way of putting a space between lines without adding print() between lines?

    Posted: 31 May 2018 09:51 PM PDT

    Can \n be used somehow? Are there other things I should be aware of?

    submitted by /u/Wheresmyaccount1121
    [link] [comments]

    Converting a set of bits to a byte in C/Arduino

    Posted: 31 May 2018 09:20 PM PDT

    Okay, it's finals season and I'm braindead. I found a few resources online that might help me, but I can't make sense of them since I have no brainpower left.

    I have a project that's due fairly soon (next week), and most of our time was working on the hardware and pseudocode, and now that it's time for implementation of code I'm running into walls left and right. (yes I know I should have started implementation earlier, but this project required a LOT of research to even understand the basic [not basic] concepts that underly it)

    So, here's one problem: the user should configure an SSID that is some number that can be represented in 4 bits.

    I have to make a byte out of it. The byte should always start with 011 as its most significant bits, followed by the 4 bit representation of the number (ex. 7 would be 0111), followed finally by a 0 if there are more SSIDs to follow or a 1 if it's the last in the string. So if there were more bytes to follow, the byte would be 01101110 or 110 in decimal. Ideally the function would return a hexadecimal value 6D in the byte data type.

    Any ideas on how exactly to go about this?

    submitted by /u/peregrin5
    [link] [comments]

    Is there way to put files in an Applescripts App and get the script to open the file, regardless of the location of the app.

    Posted: 31 May 2018 09:04 PM PDT

    It's for a tech assignment, please help

    submitted by /u/kirkpat
    [link] [comments]

    I want to create a bot to trade stocks for me. What are my options?

    Posted: 31 May 2018 05:18 PM PDT

    Are there any APIs that allow me to buy and sell stocks? How easy is it and how much does it cost?

    I might just use selenium to manipulate E*TRADE or Robinhood

    submitted by /u/84935
    [link] [comments]

    NGINX and Python webserver question

    Posted: 31 May 2018 05:02 PM PDT

    So I have been following a tutorial for hosting a flask app on a Digital Ocean Droplet. I run the Flask app using UWSGI and use NGINX to host it.

    My question is, in this scenario, what is NGINX actually doing? If I run the UWSGI server on 0.0.0.0 I can access it in the normal way, so why do I need NGINX sitting in between the client and my actual web server?

    I see the tutorial says "set up the uWSGI application server to launch the application and Nginx to act as a front end reverse proxy." but why is that necessary?

    submitted by /u/thatguywiththatname2
    [link] [comments]

    I need some help with rails?

    Posted: 31 May 2018 04:46 PM PDT

    Hey guys sorry for the noob question i am extremely new to this, i am doing the online class that is the top most voted thread on this subreddit and in one of the lessons he asks me to upgrade ruby version to 2.3.0 on cloud 9 website, but when i go to do it i get back this error

    ec2-user:~/environment $ rvm install ruby-2.3.0

    Searching for binary rubies, this might take some time. No binary rubies available for: amazon/2018.03/x86_64/ruby-2.3.0. Continuing with compilation. Please read 'rvm help mount' to get more information on binary rubies. Checking requirements for amazon. Requirements installation successful. Installing Ruby from source to: /usr/local/rvm/rubies/ruby-2.3.0, this may take a while depending on your cpu(s)... ruby-2.3.0 - #downloading ruby-2.3.0, this may take a while depending on your connection... % Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 0Warning: Failed to create the file ruby-2.3.0.tar.bz2.part: Permission denied 0 13.5M 0 2498 0 0 3493 0 1:07:41 --:--:-- 1:07:41 3498 curl: (23) Failed writing body (0 != 2498) There was an error(23). Checking fallback: https://ftp.ruby-lang.org/pub/ruby/2.3/ruby-2.3.0.tar.bz2 % Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 0Warning: Failed to create the file ruby-2.3.0.tar.bz2.part: Permission denied 0 13.5M 0 16149 0 0 13823 0 0:17:06 0:00:01 0:17:05 13826 curl: (23) Failed writing body (0 != 16149) There was an error(23). Failed download There has been an error fetching the ruby interpreter. Halting the installation.

    im not sure if its something simple i have done or if i haven't done something else, but if anyone knows anything i would be greatly appreciative! thanks!

    submitted by /u/sudc
    [link] [comments]

    My Hamburger menu button works but doesn't look like a hamburger. Help?

    Posted: 31 May 2018 04:44 PM PDT

    Here is a link to the code: https://jsfiddle.net/dqLr5q7a/2/

    I'm learning front-end web development and building my very first website for my portfolio. The biggest issue I'm running into is that the hamburger toggle doesn't want to work properly. Technically, it does work, but it doesn't look like a hamburger, nor is it on the right side of the screen (literally). The button looks like this in both desktop and mobile size screens.

    I found the hamburger I wanted to use at this website: https://jonsuh.com/hamburgers/

    I copied the JavaScript code in and made sure it was linked to the HTML file, but for some reason it doesn't look the way it should. I've attached a screen recording of what it looks like in action: https://imgur.com/a/KUxIfHl

    I clearly must have done something wrong, but I can't figure out what. Could someone please help me understand this?

    submitted by /u/NotARestaurantLackey
    [link] [comments]

    Sorry for my question. My computer is 32-bits and I can't install Java Development Kit because it's for 64-bits

    Posted: 31 May 2018 02:16 PM PDT

    Any suggestions? I'm a nooby. Is there any older version which can works in my computer? Tbh, my computer is a laptop but I've got hopes this program is question works. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/PostalAzul
    [link] [comments]

    Very new to programming, having trouble with a little program I built that has user input.

    Posted: 31 May 2018 04:28 PM PDT

    I made (or am trying to make) a super simple program in python that asks for a number, and then spits out a different response depending on the number you've chosen, this is what I've come up so far.

    b = input("pick a number 1 to 10")

    print(b)

    if b = range(1, 4):

    print("A low number")

    if b = range(4, 8):

    print("A very average number")

    if b = range(8, 11):

    print("a very high number")

    This is just what I'm trying out, but each time I run the program I get the error that "if b = range(1, 4):" is invalid syntax.

    I thought that maybe if I did "==" instead of "=" it would work since it would just evaluate if b were equal to any number, but when I make it "==" the program just asks for a number, prints it, and then it ends there.

    Another small thing is that when you input the number, it just becomes glued next to the string, like if you've chosen 5 it would be shown like this:

    pick a number 1 to 105

    5

    Sorry if these questions seem really stupid, I'm super new to programming.

    submitted by /u/science_2
    [link] [comments]

    New FreeCodeCamp.org layout, thoughts?

    Posted: 31 May 2018 03:39 PM PDT

    First off I would like to say that I greatly appreciate the effort and product that FreecodeCamp.org has provided to the community. It is an extremely beneficial tool that can lead you on your first steps to becoming a coder.

    I haven't logged on in a couple weeks but today I pulled it up and it is completely changed. I find it very burdensome to navigate the various lessons, I cannot seem to find my return results and instead am only seeing the failed tests, and the overall aesthetics seem to have been lost.

    Does anyone else share these feelings or have their own? Also is there any way to use the old UI or lesson navigation?

    submitted by /u/Friske_Fella
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for a tool to help organize my learning procedure

    Posted: 31 May 2018 11:43 AM PDT

    Hi, /r/learnprogramming!

    I recently began a job as a Python developer (my first in the software industry), and during the first week and a half I have been inundated with new softwares (Jira, Ansible, IntelliJ/PyCharm, Vagrant), terminology (pull requests, uuids, configuration files, production environments), Python-specific concepts (class inheritance, @classmethods and @staticmethods, mixins), and other jargon to familiarize myself with.

    In order to keep track of all these new things to learn, I've put together 3 separate Google Docs where I'm writing each one down in bullet-point form. Doing this has helped me make some sense of all of this new stuff, but plain-text documents aren't incredibly efficient for what I'm trying to pick up here.

    Is there any sort of platform or software that was built with this dilemma in mind that I'm unaware of? Something that allows for code snippets, notes of my own, hyperlinks, images and whatever else I find that will help me organize my thoughts? Feels like there has to be a better way to keep track of all this stuff.

    Thanks to all in advance!

    submitted by /u/nat5142
    [link] [comments]

    A stupid CLI for Fuck Off As A Service API

    Posted: 31 May 2018 10:23 AM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment