• Breaking News

    Saturday, May 5, 2018

    Resume Advice Thread - May 05, 2018 CS Career Questions

    Resume Advice Thread - May 05, 2018 CS Career Questions


    Resume Advice Thread - May 05, 2018

    Posted: 05 May 2018 12:07 AM PDT

    Please use this thread to ask for resume advice and critiques. You should read our Resume FAQ and implement any changes from that before you ask for more advice.

    Abide by the rules, don't be a jerk.

    This thread is posted each Tuesday and Saturday at midnight PST. Previous Resume Advice Threads can be found here.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Daily Chat Thread - May 05, 2018

    Posted: 05 May 2018 12:07 AM PDT

    Please use this thread to chat, have casual discussions, and ask casual questions. Moderation will be light, but don't be a jerk.

    This thread is posted every day at midnight PST. Previous Daily Chat Threads can be found here.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Is it reasonable to just be a generalist programmer for your entire career?

    Posted: 05 May 2018 04:05 PM PDT

    I'm curious about this for my own personal reasons. I currently am working with 10 years of experience, graduated a little later than other students at 26 and that was when I started my career. I consider myself to be more or less a generalist with no extreme pros or cons. But, with 10 years of experience, some places consider my lack of expert knowledge in any particular area to be a con.

    I failed Triplebyte's phone screen/code tests twice, in this year and last. While they are not the ultimate test of skill they do provide good detailed feedback. Generally speaking I've been told that I know a little about many different topics but can't go deep into one.

    I am nobody special, no peers see me "you must hire him, he's great" to anyone. Because I have literally not gotten any job with the help of a referral. But I am okay with that if I can stay afloat and competent without having all that support.

    Is it reasonable to continue my rest of my career as a generalist programmer and still maintain employment? I am now a bit closer to 40 years of age than 30 and at this point I still cannot find an area in programming that I can consider myself good enough to specialize in and become an expert. But if so, maybe it's for the best if I don't force it and I can't become an expert in something.

    submitted by /u/userthrow5581
    [link] [comments]

    How did you use LeetCode and/or other resources to prepare?

    Posted: 05 May 2018 12:02 PM PDT

    I learned about LeetCode relatively late in my college career. I'm a Computer Science major and the reason I'm on LeetCode is to prepare myself for interviews for internship/full-time positions. My aim are internships at the Big-4, hedge funds (Two Sigma, Bridgewater, etc), or any medium-large company that values their employees and interns.

    I've been lurking around here and it seems like LeetCode is a great way to prepare, but I haven't seen anyone share their progression plan or advice on ways to optimize the use of LeetCode for passing interviews.

    I'm hoping this thread can change that. Veterans, give us newbies some tips on the best way to use LeetCode. Some questions you could answer are:

    What was your progression like?

    Which questions did you start with and how should we choose?

    Time/frequency that you spent to land your dream internship (and where was that?)

    Studying the solutions vs trying to do it yourself?

    Is LeetCode enough or did you use any other resources?

    Basically, how do we newbies make sure we're not wasting our time doing it "wrong"? ...etc.

    Please share your experience!

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/loops_____
    [link] [comments]

    Got fired from IT consultancy company

    Posted: 05 May 2018 06:36 AM PDT

    I was hired in late august by an IT consultancy company specialized mainly in finance IT ; their clients are banks and insurance compainies in Paris as a java backend developer.I found the job when i was an intern. I waited for the immigration procedure for about 3 months (I'm originally from north africa), got back to Paris in late december and started working in January.

    From January to May, I only did 3 interviews : the clients in the first 2 interviews wanted senior or junior developers with a minimum working experience and i did them in february. The 3rd interview was for a junior position about 2 weeks ago and I almost got hired but the client told the consultancy company that they appreciated my application but they chose someone with bit more experience. During those months I learned more about java , angular and front end technologies and financial markets. I followed some pluralsight courses and tried working on some problems on leetcode.

    Event though the company extended my trial periode a month ago,they gave me a 5 week notice 2 days ago. The HR manager who hired me told me that during my 5 or 6 interviews ( I only did 3) they got negative feedback from the clients and that hiring me , an inexperienced dev was a bet and they no longer can afford paying me.

    The problem now is that I lost too much time between waiting for the immigration procedure and the time at my company. I did learn new skills but I did not get to apply them on concrete projects.

    Now that I am searching for a new job how am I going to justify that lost time? Why would a company hire me instead of a freshly graduated dev because we pretty much have the same experience? Thank you

    submitted by /u/Armainy
    [link] [comments]

    Best Way to Study Data Structures and Algorithms Last Minute?

    Posted: 05 May 2018 03:06 PM PDT

    A miracle has happened. I recently spoke to an in-house recruiter from a reputable company, who actually wanted to bring me in for an interview rather quickly, without trying to make me take a HackeRank exam or schedule multiple (I only had to go through one) phone interviews with an engineer across multiple weeks. This is the first time this has happened to me, and I honestly feel lucky.

    The interview is for this Tuesday, and I just learned about it yesterday. I know I will be tested on data structures and algorithms over a half day interview session. Can anyone offer me any advice on cramming for this over the weekend? Is there a "refresher" guide specifically for this type of knowledge that you guys can recommend?

    Right now, I am just trying to do as many easy LeetCode problems as possible, and watch some Youtube videos on common data structures. I am not sure what else to add to my "to do list" for this weekend aside from "get off Reddit".

    Thank you all in advance. I appreciate the help.

    submitted by /u/BlueishVelvet
    [link] [comments]

    New internship role at a recently formed startup and is my first developer role. Overtime expected and I'm the only developer.

    Posted: 05 May 2018 05:59 PM PDT

    I recently got employed to work as an developer at a very small company (less than ten employees). This is my first internship and I have had very light technical experience relating to the project. For many internship roles, there are mentors who act as a resource and a source for learning for the new interns, which is something that I expected for this role. Upon starting, I realized that I would be the sole developer for the project (with the exception of a few part time remote backend developers) meaning that I would essentially have to complete the project by myself with little to no technical guidance. The startups product relies solely on the project which to me doesn't make sense especially for someone who hasn't had much experience with the language.

    Most recently however, I left the work three minutes early and fifteen minutes later, was received with a long winded response from the boss who claims that what just happened is unacceptable. He essentially said that I should be expecting many late nights and should not be leaving until work is completed. Keeping in mind that I do not have equity in the company and am being paid below average for the area I'm in. He also expects that I reply to all messages immediately (even on weekends) and have contacted me through two different mediums to ensure that I abide to that rule. Furthermore, there doesn't appear to be any record of how many hours I have been working and he mentioned that I won't be paid until the end of the month.

    What is everybody's thoughts on this? Any advice on how I should proceed? We are planning to have a meeting on Monday to discuss the situation and I would like to come to the table prepared.

    submitted by /u/CurrentBarnacle
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone Moonlighting Two Full Time Jobs?

    Posted: 05 May 2018 06:03 AM PDT

    So I've been doing this for a loong time (20 years) and my experience has been that at every job I've had, I have loads of free time. I usually accomplish tasks in hours that takes most developers days. Hence I'm not busy.

    Once a few years ago, I was at a mid size company, and did some contract work on the side. Usually at work, at my desk. I remoted to my machine at home to actually do the work, and took calls in a conference room. This lasted about 6 months and I made a nice little "bonus" that year.

    So tell me your story, have you worked two jobs or worked full time and contracted? On site, remote, two remote?

    submitted by /u/markdacoda
    [link] [comments]

    [Need Advice] I can't tell if my workplace is toxic or not...

    Posted: 05 May 2018 01:52 PM PDT

    Context: I graduated and got into this entry-level program at some company in Boston as a software developer. So far, I've been working here for the past 4 months. My compensation package is approximately 85k.

    Keep in mind, I'm not those type of young new hires that come into a workplace that think too highly of themselves and scoff/make "ground-breaking suggestions". So I am currently temporarily assigned to a team for a couple of months. With in the first two meetings, I have had extremely hostile & defensive interactions from the scrum master, who in turn gossips about me behind my back and thereby affecting how people interact with me on the team. I didn't give any feed backs, especially since the meetings were just introductions & team bonding activities, I was simply a bit more outgoing and kinda all positive and bubbly (just my personality). But somehow I already got feed back from my my manager based on the scrum master that I was condescending, pretentious, unprofessional (from being all smiles), and unable to accept feedback (not sure what kind of feedback I would get for team bonding activities haha). Trying not to get into details, but I know I am being treated unfairly for petty reasons. Anything I say or ask are met with sarcasm or attitude. I do get ignored often and I get talked over by my other co-worker who was hired at the same time with me. Anything he says is met with praises and thoughtful answers, even though it's the exact same thing I've said before or it's way abrasive feed backs.

    Lastly, I'm bored. I haven't learned anything. I haven't been given any tasks and it's giving me anxiety. All technical meetings, questions, & etc. are given to my male coworker. I'm excluded for a lot of those emails. I know I'm a competent software engineer, in which I give credit to my wonderful past mentors from my previous employers. I've also tried having 1:1 meetings to fix the work dynamic, but it only worsened it.

    I got out of depression 6 years ago and now it came back with a vengeance. I've been in my room, don't want to eat, don't go outside, haven't done chores, and I'm not as bubbly as I once was. I don't want to go into work and been having panic attacks. Should I job hop? Is it worth paying back the sign-on bonus? If I get hired to a new company, what are the chances of them paying the sign-on bonus for me?

    submitted by /u/HappyGoAnxiousAndSad
    [link] [comments]

    How bad do you have to be ?

    Posted: 05 May 2018 10:48 AM PDT

    To be fired from internship? I always wondered. I am going into my first internship and i don't want to screw things up.

    submitted by /u/DesertBaller24
    [link] [comments]

    I'm in the stereotypical startup nightmare and I'm DESPERATE for advice. Please help

    Posted: 05 May 2018 04:22 PM PDT

    I'm a developer with both a bachelor's and master's degree in computer science. Immediately after grad school I took a job with a small startup (< 10 people) as the sole mobile developer.

    There have been several issues with the company recently. The initial release date for the app we're currently working on was seven months ago. And we've had a scheduled release of "next weekend" every weekend since with only a few exceptions. We've totally thrown out the concept of a minimum viable product and are adding ancillary features left and right to a product that we have no clue if anyone even cares about. We've consistently been working anywhere from 70 – 90 hours/week and I'm at a level of burnout that I've never experienced before. My boss is starting to notice how low my productivity has been. I probably make about 70% of what other developers make with my level of experience and, despite being promised raises after our last investment round, raises never came.

    Obviously I want out. I'm sending out resumes but I'm not hearing anything at all back from anyone. I personally think the issue is pretty obvious: I have no portfolio or personal projects. The concept of "free-time" has been pretty non-existent with this company so opportunities for spare-time-coding have been rare and admittedly I haven't taken advantage of them when they have come. Our schedule is so intense and my burnout is so high that, realistically, I'm not gonna be able to build anything worthwhile while I'm staying employed with this company.

    Even if I were to hear back from potential employer without having a portfolio, I can't imagine when I would even be able to interview much less actually take time to study for an interview. I feel like the best case scenario for me in my current position is that I end up taking the very first thing that comes along whether I'm actually interested in the job or not.

    I'm considering turning in my resignation immediately and devoting the next few weeks to building a portfolio and applying for jobs. Would this be a huge mistake? I know that not having a job doesn't look great but I'm honestly beginning to feel that it's the lesser of the two evils. Any advice is welcome

    submitted by /u/Mr_Throwaway1234567
    [link] [comments]

    Is prolonging graduation to try and get an internship common?

    Posted: 05 May 2018 06:27 PM PDT

    CS is my second degree, a lot of first-year prerequisites (calc, vector algebra, even intro level CS classes) I took as electives or course requirements in my first degree. After officially graduating from my bio deree last May, I started the CS program this past fall and have taken almost all the sophomore/ second-year classes, by the beginning of August any remaining sophomore classes will be done. At this point I have two options for next year, take eleven junior/senior level classes and graduate May 2019 or prolong my graduation and try to find an internship to build some "work experience". My biggest fear is that I am going so fast that I will come out of this with a degree (and a pretty good GPA) but no projects or internships to show future employers. On the other hand, if I get an internship my graduation gets pushed back anywhere from 4-8 months and I'm not sure if that's enough experience to convince anyone I'm worth even interviewing when I do graduate. Was wondering if anyone's been in this situation and could give some advice on if chasing an internship is worth it.

    submitted by /u/Prof-
    [link] [comments]

    No office cs job?

    Posted: 05 May 2018 06:18 PM PDT

    I'm currently a junior (cs major, mandarin minor) studying abroad, and I've been thinking I would really like to find a cs job that I could do entirely remotely so that I could keep traveling/living wherever.

    Does anyone have any advice on how to get a job like this/how realistic it is? Also I'm thinking I'll eventually want to do grad school, would this hurt my chances of getting in?

    Thanks in advance 🤗

    submitted by /u/spuddest
    [link] [comments]

    How common is tuition reimbursement at tech companies/companies in general?

    Posted: 05 May 2018 08:08 AM PDT

    Mulling if I want to go for my masters or not. Obviously having the cost taken care of by my future employer would be amazing, but I don't know how standard this is in the industry, and how even goes about requesting something like that.

    submitted by /u/sethosayher
    [link] [comments]

    Open office, agile and distractions

    Posted: 05 May 2018 04:04 PM PDT

    I work in a startup in a open office setup with business people and developers together. They claim this is how agile works

    I like the open setup, and like how it is lively. However, what I don't like is the constant noise and talking among my coworkers. Every hour, someone has a funny YouTube video and a couple developers rush over to come watch, or just randomly blurt out what they heard Donald Trump say yesterday. Then conversation ensues for 10 minutes. For many of these situations, I am usually in the zone programming and actively ignore and don't participate in these conversations. I hope they don't think that I am ignoring them cause I don't like them. I ignore them cause I want to finish my tasks. I find that what I am doing works for me and I don't mind the open office. But do my manager and coworkers think the same

    I go out of my way to participate in these conversations once or twice or day, just so I feel part of the team.

    For most of the people who constantly engage in conversations, they usually work 10 hour days. Me, on the other hand work around 8 to 9 hour days. If I engage in conversations, I might have to work 10 or more hours a day.

    I could bring it up to my boss in private, but I am scared that he might think that I am not a good fit. I rather not risk it. I am new at the company and I like the company and open office. I think closed office or cubicles are too quiet.

    Also, whenever there is two or three developers around someone's desk to talk about technical stuff, you usually find a few more developers jumping in. Maybe, it's because they like to socialize or is interested in learning more... However, for myself, I just focus on my own stuff. I am interested in learning what they are talking about. But I am only interested in participating when I want to participate. I don't want to feel like it's a obligation

    Do you think my coworkers will respect that I don't participate in conversations because I don't want to interrupt myself when I am in the zone and I don't want to work 50 hour weeks.

    If someone wants to talk to me and I can't give them a simple answer, I would like to tell them I will get back to them in a few minutes after I finish my current thought process

    submitted by /u/youcanbyteme
    [link] [comments]

    Maybe I don't deserve to have a proper software dev job?

    Posted: 05 May 2018 07:52 PM PDT

    4 jobs in 5 years. Mid level developer with 5 years of experience in .NET web development.

    Job 1: stuck in a bug fixing role with no movement to proper feature development work. Had to leave.

    Job 2: Extremely hectic IT department with 800+ people in 1 big room. Very hard to concentrate, and I never knew what was going on. Very heavy sense of not fitting in. Left after 3 months.

    Job 3: Awesome work wise. Was learning a lot, had proper dev feature work. We had a tyrannical boss who would give out unrealistic deadlines, ask us to work till 4am in the office, gave an attitude of "I own you", etc. Everyone on the team was tired of him. I got let go because we worked late one night till 10pm, were told to go home and log in to continue working. I came home at 11pm, and fell asleep. Came in to the office the next morning and got fired for it.

    Current Job: Large financial institution. Came in thinking it would be a regular software development job, but it's been nothing but support. All Jira ticket work, no features or projects. All the work is system admin stuff or database manipulation, report work, etc.

    When I came in, the team was only 3 people including me. I came in with no computer setup. I sat at a empty desk for 1 week with a stack of the project code on plain text black/white ink. When I finally got my equipment, it took another month to even set up my development environment.

    No onboarding or help from anyone on my team. Whenever I would ask for help I was told to come back later, or "I don't know".

    I have been here for 8 months and still don't know whats going on 95% of the time. The team lead that was supposed to be helping me left, so now it's just me and one other person. The person who left did not care to do a proper knowledge transfer. I am not in a situation where I have all of this information dumped on me and I have no clue how to do certain shit because the other person on the team has no clue. The only people that are supposed to know anything about the application is the other person I work with, and the person who left. Any other developer that is on our floor are working on different applications.

    To give an example of a typical interaction whenever I need help with something:

    Customer instant messages me asking how to access certain information.

    Contact coworker to ask, since I'm not sure

    Me: "Hey, this person is asking where to access this specific set of data.

    Coworker: "I don't know what he wants"

    Me: He wants to access X

    Coworker: I don't know, I'm busy working on something else, can't talk right now

    This above interaction perfectly sums up my entire 8 months here.

    I am the only one on the team who knows any coding.

    I have went to my manager to discuss my concerns 4 separate occasions, but always get scolded that "I'm not trying hard enough".

    I have been trying to find a new job since the first week I started and I have had no luck. a bunch of face to face interviews, but I can never seal the deal.

    I think I have interviewed for every single .NET company in this city with no luck. I feel like I am trapped and do not have any more options.

    I am starting to feel like this is what I deserve. Constant string of garbage positions, and because of this feel like I don't have a good depth of real world hands on knowledge.

    This is Chicago by the way.

    submitted by /u/csfailure4876
    [link] [comments]

    Need help evaluating an offer

    Posted: 05 May 2018 03:58 PM PDT

    Hey all, I received an offer yesterday to work at a company in Sioux Falls through a staffing agency. They are offering $40/hr with medical and dental insurance. I currently make $50,000 a year here in Minneapolis working full time and will be receiving a $10,000 bonus at the end of July. I tried negotiating for them to pay off the bonus or for me to start after July, but they instead said they would increase my hourly rate to $45/hr after one year. I'm leaning towards accepting the offer, but have never worked through a staffing agency. I really want to move to Sioux Falls, and the hourly rate is high for the cost of living, but I don't know if it's worth leaving when I'm a few months away from my bonus. What do you all think? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated, thanks!

    submitted by /u/walkingdeadamc
    [link] [comments]

    What can I realistically get done this summer?

    Posted: 05 May 2018 07:36 PM PDT

    I'm a computer science freshman who recently just got into programming and computer science theory (declared my major a few days ago woo!). As for the summer, I'm not doing any internship because 1) it will be the last summer where I can do any traveling with family, 2) I've only recently immersed myself in programming, so I haven't found any internship that would take me. My goal is to hopefully get an internship at a tech/fin tech company by the end of sophomore year (Summer 2019), and as a result I'm trying to utilize this summer as effectively as possible to prepare me for the summer 2019 internship interviews that are coming up this fall.

    And that's where I'm stuck. I have a list of so many things I want to learn, projects I want to do, etc, but I can't figure out realistically what I could get done in the summer and what would be of most benefit.

    I've only taken the intro computer science course at my uni, and will be taking data structures an algorithms next semester. I thought it would be a good idea to get ahead and start the course this summer (since it's offered on coursera) so I have a better time absorbing this info throughout the next school year. I also wanted to use online resources in the summer to learn java (I only know and learn in java as of now), so there's that.

    I also started looking into some online resources that will help me learn some JS, HTML, and CSS because my uni doesn't have any web dev courses and front end is something I believe that I should be familiar with.

    Along with what I want to learn is that I want to take up a project or two to start building my portfolio, but don't know what to really make (other than a front end website project I began to start already).

    And there's the dilemma, there's so many things I want to accomplish this summer, and I have ample time to do so, it's just that I don't know what I can realistically get done, and that is why I ask you guys in this subreddit who've had experience working on your portfolio during the summer.

    Cheers!

    submitted by /u/ChickenRicePlatter
    [link] [comments]

    Started as Help Desk Tech with networking focus, now interested in development

    Posted: 05 May 2018 07:27 PM PDT

    I got into the IT field as a help desk about 2 months ago. I saw that you could go pretty far with networking and I was interested enough in that specialty to focus on it and begin studying for my CCNA. On the side however, I've also been very interested in learning programming and/or scripting.

    I know learning Powershell or SH scripting would help me in a sysadmin environment and that would be a reasonable transition from my current position. But what about if I began learning Javascript or Python instead? Could I transition into a Jr. Dev position from HD tech? Is that unheard of?

    I am having trouble deciding on what I want my learning to go towards because I can't decide what will directly help me when i try to move on to the next opportunity.

    submitted by /u/greenT_
    [link] [comments]

    Showing GitHub to Employers - 1 repo for all vs. repo for each project?

    Posted: 05 May 2018 07:09 PM PDT

    Hello, this is probably a newbie question, but I'm not that familiar with maintaining my own GitHub, and just started about a month ago, so I'd appreciate some advice for repo management to show the github to potential employers.

    I have about 5-6 personal projects of varying scale, but most of them don't have more than 1-2 files associated with them (outside of folders containing some data). Should I create a separate repository for each project no matter how small it is, or should I put them all in 1 repository and sort them by language/project? Thanks.

    submitted by /u/milksteakmmm
    [link] [comments]

    Startup with 45+ hour workweeks as the norm?

    Posted: 05 May 2018 06:49 PM PDT

    Hey so I'm "fresh" out of college and I got an offer at this < 30 person startup that pays pretty well and has good benefits. I like the product, my coworkers seem cool and their development process looks solid.

    My only reservation is working hours. During negotiations, I told the founder that I'd want to work 40-50 hours a week. He said that it will probably be more, saying "it's a startup" in a what-did-you-expect kind of tone. I inquired about this a bit more and he kind of backtracked a bit.... he said that engineers typically work 9 hours a week (he cited one guy working from 10-7 and another working from 9-6). It seemed like the "extra time" was mostly responding to emails and Slack messages after work.

    I'm honestly "okay" with 45 hours a week. Obviously I'd prefer 40 but this is the best offer I got. I don't have the privilege of having Google/Facebook/Amazon offers lined up like the many people in this sub seem to have. For context my dream is to be working either 100% remote or part-time but for now I'll take what I can get.

    Any advice is appreciated. Basically I was wondering how I could ensure that my work weeks don't exceed 45 hours without looking like an asshole or jeopardizing my career. Obviously I'm okay with crunch time every once in a while. I'm just afraid of consistently working more than 50 hrs a week.

    submitted by /u/mightdropout
    [link] [comments]

    Is my job bullshit or am I missing something?

    Posted: 05 May 2018 02:53 PM PDT

    tldr: I feel like we are borderline scamming our clients but nobody else seem to share this opinion. Am I an idiot?

    Longer version: After graduating I applied to a research engineer position, I made it into the 'research' team, but found we are doing very little research, more like just normal software development. Then things started to change, getting worse and worse as we gradually drifted away even from software and towards sysadmin/DB admin things and webdev. I mean we are not even developing actual web applications, just random CRUD interfaces and ad-hoc visualizations for the data piled together by the data team.

    The crazy thing is that no one really seem to acknowledge the situation. Our marketing materials are still filled with this 'big data, AI, self-driving cars' bullshit (wtf, we have literally nothing to do with cars, self-driving or not). I kind of understand this, because... well... marketing. Buzzwords gonna buzz. But almost every time I attend a higher-level, strategic meeting with management people it's always 'image recognition this, strong general AI that' (or whatever it's called), we are gonna get really crazy with research... next quarter. And it's always next quarter, because first we need to build an interactive visualization for this super important data of our client.

    But the thing is, I believe that data is useless. It's generated from the raw client data by about then thousand lines of messy SQL, mostly written before we were able to make the data team use version control. They are still not doing code reviews, but when we do, we often find 'select A as B, B as A' level madness. We have no way to know if the data is correct, and if it really is what it claims itself to be. I look at the column 'LessThan500', and there's no way to know if it's less then 500, or more, or something completely different because of an incorrect regexp. I tried to discuss the problem multiple times, but everyone just brushes it off with shit like 'yeah, it's a learning experience for all of us' or 'everyone makes mistakes, no software can be perfect'. Our boss proudly claims we are getting really good at building and deploying things swiftly, but the things we deploy are just mere tools to interact with the data that's almost certainly seriously incorrect and misleading.

    Why am I the only one concerned with this? Is this really normal in IT? I mean the client does pay us, so it does work as a business, but I don't think they're getting what they think they're getting for their money. Do big companies really make business decisions based on data that's just chabuduo and I'm just splitting hairs with this correct/incorrect data distinction? I think I should find a new job, but what if it's the same everywhere? Meh, if that turns out to be the case I will seriously consider pursuing a PhD even though academia pretty much means starvation where I live.

    submitted by /u/FintechIsBullshit
    [link] [comments]

    Finally landed an actual dev job. Please help me not make a mistake with compensation.

    Posted: 05 May 2018 07:09 AM PDT

    I am a Web Dev with 2 years professional experience in PHP mostly with no college education.

    Keep on mind I live in an area 7% below national COL.

    I asked for 50k a year which is a 20% leap from my current programming job and they offered the 50k formally which I accepted.

    My title will be "Computer Programmer" in the new company.

    I am wondering if I asked for too little during the interview process since they didn't seem to have a problem with that number and offered the position quicky.

    Should I go in with the aim of working hard and earning a raise/promotion down the line? When is too soon to discuss pay raises with the new employer?

    I'm inexperienced with pay raises and perfoance reviews as my last raise was due to a title change and not a performance review.

    What is the expected growth of salary year over year? I always assumed 5% income growth each year at a minimum is a good goal but maybe I'm off.

    I don't want to seem like I only care about the pay but I want to make sure I'm compensated fairly at the least.

    Any advice to someone relatively new to the industry at this level is greatly appreciated.

    Edit: I realize it seems I'm unhappy with my offer. I am happy with getting what I asked for. I'm just looking for feedback on my decision and how to make better decisions on pay in the future.

    submitted by /u/abrooksie
    [link] [comments]

    Should I study in the USA?

    Posted: 05 May 2018 05:52 PM PDT

    This is a repost as my earlier post didn't have enough details.

    I recently immigrated to the United States from a third-world country and have had 2.5 years of experience in programming mainly in Unity3D as a game dev. I live in Virginia right now near Fairfax County and am having an extremely hard time finding a job as a programmer.

    I have interviewed with a few recruiters and after the interview they suddenly go dark, the interview goes great from my perspective. I try to contact them but to no avail. One of the reasons I believe might be my degree from a non-US college.

    What should I do to change that? Should I focus on masters? Transfer credit and study for bachelors? What is it that I need to improve in myself to become more hire-able.

    I have a Bachelors in computer Science from outside of the USA and have been applying mostly to .NET , C# and Java jobs but applying to any that I might fit in. Alot of the jobs require citizenship because most are government contractors. I only have a green card right now and it will take 5 years for me to get citizenship.

    submitted by /u/ImJustGonnaSitHere
    [link] [comments]

    Wayfair boston levels and salary - Need feedback

    Posted: 05 May 2018 06:26 AM PDT

    Hi 15 years of experience. IC as well as Lead experience in different parts of the country. I got an offer from Wayfair in Boston for L3 role. But role responsibilities are not very clear to me. Anyone knows what L3 mean? What kind of responsibilities?

    My offer is about 130K base, 15k bonus, 17k stock options. Total about 158K. This seems to be less for Boston area. But seems typical for Wayfair. Is this a below market rate for Boston? (I am in a low Col area).

    submitted by /u/nyp3001
    [link] [comments]

    Getting an entry-level position in computer vision with an engineering (non-cs) degree

    Posted: 05 May 2018 05:42 PM PDT

    I'll be graduating with a bachelors in Mechatronics and I'm interested in getting an entry-level software position in robotic perception.

    My curriculum only included two software courses but through some personal projects, I got an internship working on computer vision. I really enjoyed it and think it's something I'd like to do after graduation, but I'm not sure how much of a disadvantage I'm at with my non-CS bachelors.

    I guess my main questions are:

    • How much do employers value a CS degree in relation to personal projects and internship experience?

    • Would you recommend pursuing graduate studies or a second bachelors to round out my skill-set first?

    • How much do employers expect you to know as a fresh grad in an entry-level position?

    Thanks for any advice that you can offer! If you were in a similar situation, I'd love to hear about your experience.

    submitted by /u/throwaway121144169
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment