• Breaking News

    Tuesday, May 8, 2018

    My Coding "Skills" is Just me Memorizing Code, What Should I Do? web developers

    My Coding "Skills" is Just me Memorizing Code, What Should I Do? web developers


    My Coding "Skills" is Just me Memorizing Code, What Should I Do?

    Posted: 08 May 2018 04:49 AM PDT

    So I've been writing code for a few years now, I've used programming languages like PHP, Python, Javascript (Node.js,) C++, C#, I also used HTML and CSS if you consider those programming languages. Anyway, I have some experience when it comes to this shit.

    However, and I am starting to realize this more now than ever before, it's just been memorization (From tutorials, books, docs, stack overflow.) There have been very few times where I solved any given programming challenge with my own brain, I always used other peoples solutions. It's not the case that I too lazy to come up with my own solutions, no, believe me I try really hard not to resort to someone else's code, I am just unable to solve problems in my own code.

    For instance, one day I needed a password generator for a project I was working on. I spent a while trying to put a generator together with no apparent success, so guess what I did, I googled for an already written password generator. I mean this is pretty some pretty basic shit that you'd think someone who's been writing code for 3.5 years would able to do.

    Does anyone have any advice? I mean I genuinely love writing code, I just love doing the damn thing... makes me enjoy myself. but maybe it's nothing more than a hobby for me, not a pursuable career choice. Who knows.

    Sorry if this off topic (not webdev related,) r/programming doesn't allow text posts, only Images and Links.

    edit: Ok so wow, I received a lot more responses than I'd anticipated, unfortunately, I can't respond to every single one (really sorry,) but I read every single one of them and it's honestly some of the best advice I've ever received. Thank you. Also, I am not sure how to interpret the amount of upvotes this got or the amount of views (7k+), makes me think this is a widespread thing among this community.

    submitted by /u/CoolByDesign
    [link] [comments]

    Learning web-dev? Here is a list of public APIs to use in your personal projects.

    Posted: 08 May 2018 07:36 AM PDT

    My apologies if this has already been posted - but here is a great list of APIs available to use for personal projects and general web dev learning.

    https://github.com/toddmotto/public-apis

    submitted by /u/KorgRue
    [link] [comments]

    Visualize Your GitHub Profile into the cool page

    Posted: 08 May 2018 10:52 AM PDT

    Current Developers, What does your average day look like?

    Posted: 08 May 2018 12:50 PM PDT

    I currently have a project due for school where I need a brief statement from a professional working in my desired field. If you could just give me a brief rundown of what your day looks like from the 9-5 or so I would greatly appreciate it.

    *Thanks for all the responses everyone! I've gotten a lot of content, as well as some good resources to check out. This has given me even more motivation to pursue this, Thanks again.

    submitted by /u/mrjman3465
    [link] [comments]

    Proton Native - React Native for the desktop, cross compatible

    Posted: 08 May 2018 11:12 AM PDT

    Doing a talk on Functional Animations for UX in Eugene in case anybody is interested!

    Posted: 08 May 2018 02:30 PM PDT

    Why junior devs should review seniors' commits

    Posted: 08 May 2018 02:56 AM PDT

    Is there any way to make money as 17 years old Web dev?

    Posted: 08 May 2018 05:45 AM PDT

    Questions is that. I am currently learning web dev but I have really good knowledge and experience in MERN stack, mostly on back end. For about 7 months I was practising web dev and I have created tons of apps, mostly blog type apps, chat apps, etc. So i was wandering can I make any money out of it? I am asking this mostly because I am really poor, and I wanna get into Machine learning, making games, creating my own AI, but simply my pc can not do that(2gb ram in 2k18 lul)..

    submitted by /u/warchild4l
    [link] [comments]

    I created a beautiful mock-up for a social media website

    Posted: 08 May 2018 04:10 PM PDT

    I'm really happy with it, used the 3 (html, css, js) and I love it.

    However, I want to build a fully functional website with databases, drag and drop upload options, etc. Tons and tons of difficult stuff that is out of my knowledge scope. I'm looking for the right person to form a partnership with that can take my mock-up and transform it into a fully functional social media site where users can make accounts, paid subscriptions etc

    Where do I go from here? How much will it cost me? Etc.

    submitted by /u/ShexiCanI
    [link] [comments]

    Build native desktop apps with javascript

    Posted: 08 May 2018 03:58 PM PDT

    mobile version shows error

    Posted: 08 May 2018 03:55 PM PDT

    Hi (beginner here). I'm using WYSIWYG Web Builder ver 12.4. I have published my site and the desktop version seems fine, but the mobile version, when viewed on my android phone, shows a blank page with "500 Internal Server Error" message.

    Hostgator is my host. I previously played with CNAME record and tried resetting everything to default. No luck. I also went to the File Manager and deleted all contents under public_html folder and republished my site--no luck.

    I forwarded my web link to a friend and he confirmed seeing the same error on his phone...so it's not my phone/cache/etc.

    The .htaccess file could have been corrupt, as some info online suggests, so I used the Hostgator help section to copy/paste the code into this file again...nothing..

    I'm out of options/ideas. Can anyone think what's going on here? Cheers and thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/glass_1_water
    [link] [comments]

    Need help bypassing the image loader on squarespace, can one of you kind sirs help me?

    Posted: 08 May 2018 02:08 PM PDT

    Hi, im using squarespace and basically want to bypass the image loader so the highest resolution image will always bee loaded regardless of screen size https://developers.squarespace.com/imageloader/

    can this be done with code injection? or will i have to enable developer mode and do it the hard and dangerous way and if so, how?

    submitted by /u/Jamestq
    [link] [comments]

    Email Management via imap

    Posted: 08 May 2018 01:13 PM PDT

    So i am integrating email into my web service, and was wondering what would the best ways be about going with this. I know that i will have to use the php imap extension, my main question is about weather emails should be stored in a database somewhere, or fetched each time it is refreshed. I am unsure on the performance impact of fetching the emails each time so am unsure.

    submitted by /u/_Joosh_
    [link] [comments]

    Awesome Grid Menu (by Codrops)

    Posted: 08 May 2018 12:59 PM PDT

    How to know where to 'start' on a project/app?[JavaScript]

    Posted: 08 May 2018 12:51 PM PDT

    TLDR: I was looking over this list of projects to work on to enhance your skills, and a lot of them I wouldn't even know how to start building them, and if I googled I was afraid it would lead my to a tutorial which would defeat the purpose of just working on things on my own.

    I don't necessarily mean the flow of how you put together your project, HTML, CSS, JS, I think I have a method that is working for me based on some Tutorials(HTML so all elements are in, light CSS and then program the logic and functionality in HTML), but I'm starting to work on projects on my own without the aid of tutorials, and am kind of unsure on how to pattern the JS.

    I just completed the second version of my own budgeting app that wasn't made following any Tutorials. I had originally made this in Python, and wanted to do it with a web interface/make it into a web app. I used the process from the WatchandCode Todo List to make it, by basically making everything function based, and then having those functions called on events. I also swiped some of the functionality from another tutorial and worked it to my purpose. Both seemed to have this 'functional approach' instead of having lines of code outside of functions or events run from top-down.

    Is this generally how apps are built, rather than the top-down interpreted that JS naturally seems to run?

    Sorry if I'm not explaining myself correctly, I'm just curious on how to know how to build certain things, where to start, etc.

    submitted by /u/JeamBim
    [link] [comments]

    [RANT] Crappy Domain Registrars - Reselling your expired domains back to you.

    Posted: 08 May 2018 12:39 PM PDT

    So - I just got burned by letting one of my domains expire. It was one of those domains I was not sure if it was going to take off, and I just missed the date to renew it. To be honest, I actually think I caught the domain in time but the domain registrar had their own time frame. When I went to try and renew the domain I could not as it was "Pending Deletion". I was told that I would have the opportunity to renew the domain today - I waited patiently but before I got the opportunity it was quickly snatched up and purchased and is now "For Sale". I did some research and think that my domain registrar (Dotster) is actually they company now trying to "sell my domain" back to me for who knows what amount. This is shady as hell. I know I am at fault; but businesses of opportunity like this need to die. What other domain registrars do you know of that do this? Lets get them on a collective list of companies we vow not to do business with. I am moving all of my domains away from Dotster because of this incident.

    submitted by /u/txmail
    [link] [comments]

    How often do you upgrade dependencies?

    Posted: 08 May 2018 08:16 AM PDT

    When using package managers such as composer or npm, how often do you run update commands? Or, what is your strategy for updating stuff, especially in team environments?

    I've generally heard "only when required", but that is a security concern. My thoughts would be "as often as possible", which is where good test coverage comes in handy.

    I'm also curious to everyone's cycles when something isn't necessarily in regular active development. For example you just have an app sitting out there running happily, with no real development taking place...how often do you update dependencies?

    submitted by /u/scootstah
    [link] [comments]

    Which SVG library to choose in 2018 ?

    Posted: 08 May 2018 11:37 AM PDT

    I am exploring SVG libraries for a personal project and am confused between svg.js, snap.svg and raphel. Each has some pros and cons which I will try to list below:

    svg.js I really liked this library and started trying in fiddle but there is very little material online. Since I am not experienced with front-end, online tutorials, SO questions are real requirement

    snap.svg I found few blogs talking very highly of it's writer, support (slack, adobe) but found that it is not very actively developed. It has sparse commits even though version 1 is not released

    Raphel This is quite mature library, has lots of tutorials and online materials. Though it does not utilizes many new features.

    Requirement: I don't need any animation. I require basic shapes(rectangle, circle)and text, which can be dragged using mouse. I also need the structure to be exported to json

    submitted by /u/hobbesid
    [link] [comments]

    Webdev with Spacemacs, any tips ?

    Posted: 08 May 2018 11:07 AM PDT

    I've just got started with Spacemacs and I love it so far !

    Apparently some people use it proficiently for webdev, if you are among them, please share some tricks, config tweaks, useful packages/layers or even tutorials if you used some, that would be much appreciated !

    submitted by /u/ArsenLupus
    [link] [comments]

    Getting better at team communication

    Posted: 08 May 2018 11:00 AM PDT

    Synchronizing development and production databases in MySQL app

    Posted: 08 May 2018 10:28 AM PDT

    While working on a Prestashop install I'm running across this issue of how to best manage structure and data changes when deploying to production. Since Prestashop uses modules that modify the database without any type of information it's not quite as easy as maintaining a versioned schema changes file. There are around ~120 tables and as far as I'm aware, I'll need to use some type of tool to automatically check for schema/data changes in the tables that matter to me.

    In theory this sounds relatively simple right? Wrong. I'm having a hard time finding any tools that make this process "easy". The best tools I've found are dbForge Data Compare and dbForge Structure Compare which conveniently are not for Mac OS.

    Does anyone have any suggestions on tools or processes that might make this easier?

    submitted by /u/grafgarage
    [link] [comments]

    I'm looking for a node.js & REST tutorial

    Posted: 07 May 2018 10:11 PM PDT

    I'm looking to get stronger in node.js and REST. I was curious if anyone had any tutorials(free or paid), that would be helpful.

    submitted by /u/cleatusvandamme
    [link] [comments]

    Unable to dynamically load subtitle tracks in Firefox or IE.

    Posted: 08 May 2018 09:32 AM PDT

    Hey guys, I'm trying to add subtitles to a video player I created. The tracks need to be dynamically loaded into a single <video> element when a user clicks a movie thumbnail. I've created a basic example of the functionality I need to work, which I have uploaded here. This demo page loads the subtitles correctly in Edge, Chrome, Safari and Opera but not in Firefox or IE. I'd really like to get this working in Firefox, and to a lesser extent IE. Can anybody help me with this?

    Thanks in advance!

    Edit: jsfiddle

    submitted by /u/dpaanlka
    [link] [comments]

    Unicode in JavaScript

    Posted: 08 May 2018 09:27 AM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment