• Breaking News

    Sunday, May 6, 2018

    For all you folks out there that feel like crappy programmers learn programming

    For all you folks out there that feel like crappy programmers learn programming


    For all you folks out there that feel like crappy programmers

    Posted: 05 May 2018 05:36 AM PDT

    I just wanted to take a moment to remind you it takes time

    Stick with it, we'll get there.

    submitted by /u/taladan
    [link] [comments]

    Hackerrank makes me feel so low and down

    Posted: 05 May 2018 09:18 PM PDT

    I have been trying to get a job and created simple web apps with node.js and also a simple blog site with Python Django, but the norm is to practice Data Structures and algorithms.

    I'm learning from Geeks for geeks and practicing on Hackerrank this sorting question which is fairly simple but the hackerrank can't even let me print out the normal input that I might like to see in order to see what happened to that array ( or the list as I'm using Python3 which is usually array like, please correct me if I'm wrong)

    so I tried running it without writing any code and I still got errors, I don't know I'm super confused this morning and by the evening I always feel so fried up and frustrated. Please suggest some routine to tackle this and learn as hard as possible quickly

    submitted by /u/tapu_buoy
    [link] [comments]

    Computer Science Major Meme

    Posted: 05 May 2018 10:15 PM PDT

    I plan to have a career in software development. Right now I am earning my A.A. in Computer Science and then I plan to transfer to a Uni to earn my B.S. in Computer Science. So far my coding experience is shit. After compiling research from over a ton of forums the languages I plan to learn in no particular order are: -HTML/CSS -Java -Python -Javascript -C# -C++ -Ruby

    If you have any computer programming experience I was wondering what programs, websites, etc. you used to learn programming. So far the only thing I have completed is the free shit on codeacademy but from what people tell me, codeacademy is worthless as far as true programming go. I just want some guidance and a point in the right direction in order to start a career.

    I was hoping, is there any possible way to gain some jobs in order to start working in the field while in college?

    "Read the faq" I just want to say this because I know I might get a few of these. I have read the faq multiple times and it hasn't give me the resources I am asking for, so please don't simply wave me off with this.

    submitted by /u/DarkStarAlastor
    [link] [comments]

    Use extension or is there something better? e.g. in C#, class PeopleList : List<People> {} -- is there some concept that can be used that says "PeopleList is simply a name for a List of People, it's not an extension"?

    Posted: 05 May 2018 09:25 PM PDT

    Have no idea how to Google this.

    As the title says, I'm wondering when you just want to name a concept -- is there a way to do just that, or do you extend classes? (or is there a hidden door number 3?)

    I'm especially interested in C# and TypeScript, but if other languages have solutions to the challenge that's interesting as well.

    Philosophically, is a named concept like NameList an extension of a combination of concepts (in this case, List<Name>)? In any OOP, is there a way to have a pointer/reference to a specific generics application of a class without extending it?

    Upon encountering the NameList class, it would be nice to know that "we know that this NameList is nothing other than List<Name>; from its form we know that whoever defined it could not possibly have added or taken away any method or property"

    submitted by /u/its_the_future
    [link] [comments]

    [Q] What is a pipeline ? How do you design one ?

    Posted: 05 May 2018 08:43 PM PDT

    Hi /r/learnprogramming ,

    like the title says, what is a pipeline ? how do you design one ? Some examples of a pipeline would be helpful (in python preferably)

    Thanks !

    submitted by /u/Megazero1x1
    [link] [comments]

    I feel like a cargo cult programmer...

    Posted: 05 May 2018 03:53 PM PDT

    So yeah, I'm currently studying JavaScript as apart of Udacity's Full Stack Developer Nanodegree curriculum, and for the first mini-project, I tried creating a cat clicker app for an hour and a half before copying someone else's work.

    However, I mostly understand how they did their code. Should I keep doing this until I understand JS? What do you suggest?

    submitted by /u/Hegemon1984
    [link] [comments]

    Is PluralSight worth the subscription if you already have Lynda.com for free?

    Posted: 05 May 2018 10:07 PM PDT

    I am studying VB and VBA. My school gives us a free subscription to Lynda.com but I have heard that Pluralsight is excellent for programming and IT. Is it worth the 30$ a month if I'm already getting Lynda.com for free?

    submitted by /u/OutlawSkaar17
    [link] [comments]

    [C++] I've tested the algorithm, but it's outputing a wrong value in a particular case. Why?

    Posted: 05 May 2018 05:57 PM PDT

    So, the code is as follows:

    #include <iostream>

    #include <cmath>

    using namespace std;

    #define MAX 100

    int main(int argc, char const *argv[]) {

    int seq1[MAX], seq2[MAX], n;

    cout << "Insert the lenght of the sequences: ";

    cin >> n;

    cout << "Insert the numbers of the first sequence (0 to 9): ";

    for(int i = 0; i < n; i++){

    cout << "Insert the " << i + 1 << " value: ";

    cin >> seq1[i];

    }

    cout << "Insert the numbers for the second sequence (0 to 9): ";

    for(int i = 0; i < n; i++){

    cout << "Insert the " << i + 1 << " value: ";

    cin >> seq2[i];

    }

    int sum = 0, c = 0;

    for(int i = n - 1; i >= 0; i--){

    sum = sum + ((seq1[i] + seq2[i]) * pow(10, c));

    //cout << seq1[i] << " , " << seq2[i] << " , " << pow(10, c) << " , " << sum << endl;

    c++;

    }

    cout << "The sum of the inserted sequences is: " << sum << ".\n";

    return 0;

    }

    Case 1:

    Input: n = 4

    seq1: (1,0,2,4)

    seq2: (1,0,2,4)

    Output: "The sum of the inserted sequence is: 2048."

    Case 2:

    //This is where it gets weird

    nput: n = 3

    seq1: (1,1,1)

    seq2: (1,1,1)

    Given output: "The sum of the inserted sequence is: 221."

    Expected: "The sum of the inserted sequence is: 222."

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    I've tested for other 'n' values, but only when it's 3 that it gives a sum-1 answer. Anybody know why?

    Thanks in advance!

    (And sorry for the bad english)

    submitted by /u/Stichs
    [link] [comments]

    Is a simple 'hello world' program faster to execute in C than Python?

    Posted: 05 May 2018 08:48 PM PDT

    If so why exactly? I understand that C is 'closer to the metal' than Python but don't know why in this case it would be faster to run.

    submitted by /u/KingOfBlingBling
    [link] [comments]

    Project Euler Problem 25

    Posted: 05 May 2018 11:49 PM PDT

    https://projecteuler.net/problem=25

    How do I compute a fibonacci number infinitely until it gets to 1000 digits? Trying to do it recursively just nets me a stack overflow.

    submitted by /u/Galvnayr
    [link] [comments]

    [C#] Looking for ways to learn C# online

    Posted: 05 May 2018 11:42 PM PDT

    Do you guys know of online courses / websites that are good for learning C# as I want to learn how to code in C#. Any help would be much appreciated

    Prior experience: Java, C++

    submitted by /u/ebenezerjeya
    [link] [comments]

    When you started to learn code, how did you take notes?

    Posted: 05 May 2018 01:58 PM PDT

    I want to learn either HTML,CSS and Javascript, OR Python. The thing is with the ammount of information here on the internet, I dont even know where to start and how to "learn", I dont know how to take notes on this. any Ideas or tips you could give me? This will be the first languages i'll learn

    submitted by /u/bigotegamer
    [link] [comments]

    Finding a remote job while going to school?

    Posted: 05 May 2018 04:27 PM PDT

    So I was just curious how I go about finding a 100% remote job even if it pays 35k a year while I pursue school. I'm proficient with building websites now, and don't want to be bussing tables through college and would rather use my skill.

    I've heard of freelancing, but want to know if there's any other ways.

    submitted by /u/LastVisage
    [link] [comments]

    Exercises That Use Maps, Vectors, Pointers, Namespaces, and Try-catch (c++)

    Posted: 05 May 2018 10:24 PM PDT

    So these are some concepts I haven't yet grasped, and I cant finx exercises that incorporate them. I get pointers for the most part, and i use references regularly, its just that i dont fully get them and how they are useful so i would like to find a way to use them more. Vectors, maps, and try catch i only have a vague idea about, but would like to learn how they are used. I also want to learn how to use my own namespace.

    Can someone link me example programs or exercises that focus on these things?

    submitted by /u/KevinCMD
    [link] [comments]

    Is it possible to use C language and an IDE for it on MacBook pro?

    Posted: 05 May 2018 06:13 PM PDT

    So I wish to learn the C Language(not c++) but am currently limited to a MacBook. I am very aware of XCode but my understanding of it is that objective-C, which Xcode uses, is similar to C++, not C.

    Can I write/compile C on MacBook using a versatile IDE or do I need to purchase a PC?

    submitted by /u/KingOfBlingBling
    [link] [comments]

    where will the "fun stuff" begin? (web dev)

    Posted: 05 May 2018 02:10 PM PDT

    tl;dr: fun stuff = actual code, problem-solving, writing algorithms... Is that what front-end and web dev in general is mostly about? How much is learning to use CSS properties etc.? Should I switch to something else (what?) if I want more fun stuff?

    A little background: I always liked problem-solving as a kid and decided that programming is my cup of tea by the end of high school. I'm currently on my second semester of comp. sci. They're teaching us C++ there and while it's exciting with OOP, I recently started being doing (mostly front end) web dev. Having all output in the console or a *.txt isn't too engaging. Besides, it's not the best college and they don't teach us much beyond what they have to, there are close to no assignments etc. So naturally it'd be hard for me to find next steps once I'm proficient enough with C++'s console side. I mean, there's the basics, OOP paradigms, the STL and then what? On the other hand, there are tons of resources when it comes to front-end development.

    And I have to say that I'm disappointed with what web dev has been so far. It feels like it is mostly about memorizing the CSS and HTML for the most part, and then sprinkling some JS on top. At least for the websites I've re-created so far. There's not much actual code in the final product. That said, I'm not the best at memorizing dozens of hardly ever used CSS properties like gradients stuff. I'd rather learn about something more practical and then keep using that thing.

    So my question is, since that is the reason I choose programming in the first place, when will the logical part kick in? Is front-end (or even backend) even about solving problems primairly? Or is it all about memorizing all the syntax and having enough experience to know when to use which keyword? Should I switch to something else if problem-solving is what I want?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/styro_pian
    [link] [comments]

    [Python] Why does this IRC script only return 'Hi'?

    Posted: 05 May 2018 09:35 PM PDT

    This post is a follow up (sort of) to my previous post, which can be found here. I was able to (kinda) figure out how to read my Twitch channel's chat by using the python-twitch-stream module, but am still having issues with it.

    This is what I put together, hoping it would work: https://hastebin.com/zuwebecamu.py

    Now, I've tried going to my channel and posting a message manually, but it doesn't return anything in the response. The IRC response only returns what is on line 11 of that code. ^

    Here's the response being returned: https://i.imgur.com/x1rAPlf.png

    Am I misunderstanding something here? I'd appreciate any help.

    submitted by /u/Vezqi
    [link] [comments]

    I have been drawing comics that explain programming concepts, and will redraw the series in a collaborative effort. Feel free to join!

    Posted: 05 May 2018 09:25 AM PDT

    Hello, Redditors of r/learnprogramming,

    I have been drawing comics that explain programming concepts. You can read my work here:

    https://prairieworldcomicsblog.wordpress.com/programming-series-in-order/

    Note that much of is going to be redrawn, and I have created a collaboration project for anyone who wishes to volunteer. You can find the project on my Github page:

    https://github.com/WilliamPWise/Prairie-World-Programming-Comics

    At the moment, I have been writing scripts for each comic. I am seeking people who are willing to discuss the topics and scripts to find better and more accurate ways to explain these concepts. The project's [issues](https://github.com/WilliamPWise/Prairie-World-Programming-Comics) page is where I discuss them. If you are interested in discussing programming topics, scripts, and other ideas, feel free to join the project!

    submitted by /u/WilliamPWise
    [link] [comments]

    Identifying Natural Language with 99% accuracy using Machine Learning (Python and Scikit-Learn)

    Posted: 05 May 2018 11:14 AM PDT

    Hey everyone, I thought you might enjoy my project video demo. Let me know what you think!

    submitted by /u/scoobyboo
    [link] [comments]

    [C++ / SDL2] AABB Physics Help

    Posted: 05 May 2018 08:55 PM PDT

    Hey folks. So a bit of history real fast. I've been messing with C++ and SDL2 for a good while now but anytime I get to a part of the project that overwhelms me, I tend to get discouraged and start a new project. But this time I want to push through it and actually finish. I can never wrap my head around collision detection. I'll provide a demo video to show what I have so far below.

    Anyways I have a ball class, and a paddle class, both are SDL_Rects, so I imagine this shouldn't be too difficult, I just don't know where to begin. I create 4 paddle objects and 1 ball object in the games main game.h file. So how would I structure this? Create an entirely separate class for collision? Write the collision code within the game.h itself even though I figured that should only handle the window, input, and rendering.

    How should I structure this? A game class with a constructor that takes in two Rects, then executes it's collision algorithm? And where should I look to learn about this AABB code that I'll eventually need to write once I figure out where I'm gonna write this collision code? Any and all help is NEEDED and much appreciated.

    TL;DR 1.) Where can I find examples of AABB collision checking code between two rects?

    2.) Should collision be handled in it's own class? If not, where does it fit into the games code?

    Video demo: https://streamable.com/phg51

    submitted by /u/GunnDawg
    [link] [comments]

    Programming and Critical Thinking Skills

    Posted: 05 May 2018 10:42 AM PDT

    My question does not have anything to do with one specific concept. Rather, it has to do with the programming process in general.

    I am currently learning my first programming language, and I am. As of now, I have effectively learned the language and how it works. However, I have quickly learned that there is a difference between knowing the language and actually becoming proficient. I have noticed that I consistently skip thinking through the problem I am to solve and jump straight to writing code. Needless to say, this bad practice has gotten me into trouble many times, and I actually had to withdraw from my programming class this semester. I find this especially frustrating, because I know that I am intellectually capable of learning to program. I simply need to go about programming in a more intelligent and less forceful manner.

    This point brings me to my question: How can I learn to slow down and think through the problem in a critical and rational way? Up until now I have been trying to program off of top of my head and solve the problem through brute force. I now know that I am never going to get anywhere if I keep trying to push my way through problems. However, my critical thinking skills are admittedly not the best at this point. I was never taught any problem-solving skills, and my critical thinking ability has not improved for most of my life. If any of you out there know how I can improve my critical thinking skills and, by extension, my programming thought process, I would greatly appreciate any suggestions or methods you used to learn to program.

    Thank you in advance for taking the time to read my question.

    submitted by /u/zerosandone
    [link] [comments]

    Computer Programmer Analyst

    Posted: 05 May 2018 10:47 AM PDT

    Anybody in Canada taking any Computer Programmer Analyst Program's, which literature was assigned and most helpful?

    submitted by /u/ewblep
    [link] [comments]

    Making Programming Fun for a Group?

    Posted: 05 May 2018 07:14 PM PDT

    I've been racking my brain on how to make a fun group environment for coders. Due to some good fortune, I was gifted something that is similar to a blank subreddit in a different online community. The goal has always been to provide free and interactive education, but it's hard to keep instructors motivated and students interested. I believe that the content is dry to the students and arduous for the instructors to create. This has created a continuous cycle of disappointment for everyone.

    Do you guys have any suggestions on how to make the whole process of teaching and learning programming more fun for everyone involved? We've tried the approach of making an informative thread followed by a small assignment twice (C and C++), and we've also tried using a site like exercism.io, but they've all ended the same way. Creating something where both instructors and students are excited about what they're doing has proved to be a real challenge, so any help on how to make that happen would be appreciated more than I can express through text.

    Thanks for reading.

    submitted by /u/AutumnDawn-
    [link] [comments]

    How would I go about making a code that changes a wallpaper once inserted from a USB?

    Posted: 05 May 2018 12:47 PM PDT

    So, I have a picture that I want to be able to plug a USB into a pc and have it auto-upload and set it as wallpaper, any idea if it'd be possible?

    submitted by /u/JordPlaysGames
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment